Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs lark

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    My grad is Thursday, here's the sequence of events:

1 - Not go.

Algorithmically it's much simplier and, as an added bonus, far cheaper this way.

You'll regret it if you don't go. It genuinely is a class night out. Mine was last week and it was one of the best nights of my life. it was unreal craic.

You won't see a lot of your year again. It's one last big night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

My Debs is the 09-09-09 in Silversprings

I have my date, have my tickets and have my dress.

Thats about it.

I need shoes, a bag, jewellery and a hair appointment

Last minute sucks =(

i went to a debs in the silversprings in cork 3 weeks ago .. it was brilliant the room is massive but there was one problem .. u need id and its one drink per person when you go to the bar so you cant get your date a drink unless she comes up with you (very annoying)
    we stayed the nite in a room bout 15 of us .. just snook in d back door :P
    after your nite is over head into town and get chips .. hillbillys is gorgeous food yum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

you can pay from 15 to 35 for one .. i would recommend gettin an orchid flower .. they are really big and go with almost everydress :D:D my date was happy with hers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

There's no need to go mad buying flowers and chocolates for the family / mammy.

It's a nice idea, but the thought will be appreciated just as much with a tenner's worth of Lily O'Briens for the womenfolk who have gathered to go "oooh!!" and "aaah", and a single rose for Mammy.

One advantage of the chocs is that it distracts Auntie Bridie and Granny and Mrs. Nosey Neighbour when you arrive, and gets you over that slightly embarrassing first few minutes.

In all fairness it is good to make a good first impression with chocs and flowers if you don't really know the parents of your date. It worked well with me and the family really appreciated it. It's not necessary though. I know one guy who got his date's mother a bottle of jaegermeister which she told him via his date to get instead.
    DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I'm lookin forward to mine... Jus hope my date is able to go... Her Da is real protective of er and doesnt want her goin!!

Well if your date has her dress already..then it's really unfair to both of you if he stops her from going. My date's dad for my own debs said at the start that she couldn't afford to miss a day of school (she's going into 6th year) to go to my debs. she has got her dress now and her dad hasn't complained so far. So hopefully she's coming to mine . :pac:
    Nihilist21 wrote: »
    My grad is Thursday, here's the sequence of events:

1 - Not go.

Algorithmically it's much simplier and, as an added bonus, far cheaper this way

I can understand how some people might not want to go to their debs for particular reasons. Having said that would you not be afraid of regretting in the future that you didn't go?

The main motivation for me for going to my own debs was the fear of regretting that I didn't go. It doesn't really matter to me whether I never see most of my year again. I have been to a couple of debses and enjoyed them, however even so I'm still nervous for my own one. I'm just hoping my dates and a few of my mates will help me get through the night and have some fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Hah, my friendgirl's been getting ready for ages and she keeps pushing back the arrival time. The joys of being able to SSS, get dressed, and be ready in 20 minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

I was on a bit of debs blitz today so I decieded to look for those crosage things and to my horror they cost €25?!!?!?! €25 flippin euro, for a thing which essently costs a 5er to make.

I need a bit of advice. I went to school on the southside. Live in Swords. My date is from the southside so should I invite her out to the house in Swords or collect her from her southside home? I am asking because I'm a stingy thing who wishes to save money! :D

Any help much appreciated!
    Cheers

I'd shop around for the corsage. I got my ones for 15 euro each...Well where is the debs? If it's nearer to her then go down to hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

I think I will have to shop around! The debs is on in Lepoardstown but we are being bussed from my school to it! Now that I think about it, she is nearer. I'll just go to her house. fudge it!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

The corsages I ordered were only €10 each!! Extortionate money otherwise!

My Debs is tomorrow night and I'm looking forward to it. My girlfriend and her parents are coming over beforehand for some champagne and to take a few pictures. Getting the bus then, its stupid paying loads for a limo when there'll be more fun to be had on the bus! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I loved the debs!
    Mainly because I was a bit apathetic, thought they'd be ****e, and didn't make too much effort.

Great craic though! Went to 4 last year! :pac:

I'm genuinely dreading mine this year though.
    They're on September 11th, (lolyush), but they'll be ****e. Absolute balls.
    I'm not buying a new dress or shoes or anything. Just gonna have a shower and slap on a bit'a makeup. JOB.
    One of the lads in my school bought my ticket so I can't.. NOT go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

djcervi wrote: »
    I can understand how some people might not want to go to their debs for particular reasons. Having said that would you not be afraid of regretting in the future that you didn't go?

I somehow doubt I'll ever regret it. It's only one night, if there were to be any regrets it would be with regard to the 5 years prior to it. Its far more to my taste to simply have myself a nice bottle of merlot than meet up with a large group people, the majority of whom bore and aggravate me. Anyhoo, I hope you have a nice time at yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

In college, there's a ball or dinner every few weeks...it'll become standard procedure after a while. Missing the debs is not that big a deal, and you won't regret it. (Even if you do, you'll cease to do so when you go to college. Which is in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

I made up the vast majority of the debs committee for my school's debs this year (because NOBODY else would do it). My efforts to get a debs together remind me of that part of Father Ted where Ted and Dougal pull the kitchen apart, and then start to cry, in their efforts to make tea. For all the huffing and puffing over the past few months, it's going to be a very simple affair in the end- meal in a hotel, band, dj and a few small decorations in the room.

I'm genuinely shocked to hear that some schools organise buses. It seems like a really strange idea to me, it's never been done here before.

Unfortunately for me it looks like the night is going to be as long as I'd hoped. Nobody is able or willing to have people over to their house when we are kicked out of the hotel (at 2 ish), so we might all have to head to our respective homes then.:(

Just home from mine. Aside from the crap band, the even crapper DJ, and the painfully repetitive oohs and aahs of girls fawning over each other's hair/dresses/makeup/tan/shoes/bag/watch/whateverthefúck, it was a great night. Still buzzing, will need to spend all of today sleeping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Guys, learn from my date's mistakes:

DON'T leave the table every 5 seconds for a smoke.

DON'T not buy your date a drink.

DON'T leave her alone for most of the night.

DON'T invest all your interests in another girl on the night.

DON'T get it on with said other girl in full view, leaving your date in an awkward position.

DON'T pathetically apologise repeatedly over the following days.

To put it simply, don't be a ****ing prick.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

Has anybody been to the ardboyne hotel is it good and do you need id?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Guys, learn from my date's mistakes:

DON'T leave the table every 5 seconds for a smoke.

DON'T not buy your date a drink.

DON'T leave her alone for most of the night.

DON'T invest all your interests in another girl on the night.

DON'T get it on with said other girl in full view, leaving your date in an awkward position.

DON'T pathetically apologise repeatedly over the following days.

To put it simply, don't be a ****ing prick.

Enjoy!

theres some open wounds behind that post!

I was asked to another schools debs aside from my own, and im still debating whether to go or not, because i really dont feel like spending money on corsage/flowers/drink etc. for a debs that aint my own like, but at the same time i dont wana miss a great night!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Ouch!

Yourself and the other girl's date should have just paired up and given them the finger!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Haha this thread has answered most of my questions.. One question left though... What kind of chocalates do i get the mam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I'm fcuking dreading my debs...
    Grandparents are making me go, have invited all my nosey neighbours and embarassing family......

My OH is 21...bit old for a debs imo (Looks silly in a suit lol)

I had a terrible time in school, hated everyone.....wouldn't choose to go out with even one of these people and now I'm crammed in the room with em for the whole night....

Not to mention I start my new job the next morning at 12:30 :?
    Reckon I'll just take a few Life Lines and a couple of pro plus.....that should sort me out till I can go home and puke up my over priced cocktails

I don't do dresses or make up or shoes or bitchy nackers!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Oh and do ya reckon I'll have the piss ripped outta me for getting a car...Its only me and my OH so we couldn't afford the limo, got a car for free was sorta pushed into it!

No a car should be fine. Sure it's only one night. A lot of people tend to be in the same boat. I'll be going to my own debs in a month and I'm not looking forward to it. Just be nice and civil, and don't let some people get the better of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

Mr.Helpful wrote: »
    Now I just want to be clear on this whole debs thing (grad for the people in the country) Cheers,

Being from the outside the pale, we always called the Girls night out "the Debs" and the guys night out "the Grads". :confused:

(Wikipedia has it as: "a young lady from an aristocratic or upper class family who has reached the age of maturity, and as a new adult, is introduced to society at a formal presentation known as her "début". Originally, it meant the young woman was eligible to marry, and part of the purpose was to display her to eligible bachelors and their families with a view to marriage within a select upper class circle. This traditional event varies by region, but is typically referred to as a débutante ball").

The pre, during and aftermath for both was the same though!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

DigiGal wrote: »
    I'm fcuking dreading my debs...
    Grandparents are making me go, have invited all my nosey neighbours and embarassing family......

My OH is 21...bit old for a debs imo (Looks silly in a suit lol)

I had a terrible time in school, hated everyone.....wouldn't choose to go out with even one of these people and now I'm crammed in the room with em for the whole night....

Not to mention I start my new job the next morning at 12:30 :?
    Reckon I'll just take a few Life Lines and a couple of pro plus.....that should sort me out till I can go home and puke up my over priced cocktails

I don't do dresses or make up or shoes or bitchy nackers!!!

You hate every single person in your year? Seriously?

I know there's a few idiots in every year but every single person in your year could hardly be an idiot? It must'nt be entirely their fault that you have no friends at all in your year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

no scope wrote: »
    Has anybody been to the ardboyne hotel is it good and do you need id?
    In Meath? Very nice hotel. I doubt you'd need ID for your debs, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cGirl wrote: »
    In Meath? Very nice hotel. I doubt you'd need ID for your debs, would you?

ID is critical for all debs as there is a high possibility of underage attendee's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

ironclaw wrote: »
    ID is critical for all debs as there is a high possibility of underage attendee's
    Seriously? I'm only 17, but I finished school and I've paid for my debs. Are you telling me I might not actually get in, even if I'm not drinking?

You'll get in, but you won't be served at the bar. At mine last night they wanted 2 id's if you were getting 2 drinks, very annoying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A Neurotic wrote: »
    You'll get in, but you won't be served at the bar. At mine last night they wanted 2 id's if you were getting 2 drinks, very annoying.
    It's better than refusing to serve two drinks to one person at all, which some of them seem to have been doing.

A bit annoying if you go to buy yourself and your date a drink, and you have to drag her to the bar with you!

One can see that they are just trying to obey the law and protect their license by making sure not to serve underage drinkers, of course, but understanding that wouldn't make it any less annoying in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

At a debs I was at last year, they checked everyone's ID going in. If you were over 18 they stamped your hand with the hotel stamp so you could get served at the bar without whipping your ID out for each drink.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement