Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs lark

Options
  • 24-08-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Howdy,
    Tis the season once again!

Right heres the sceal, Ive got my debs on 18th of next month in some posh place cant think of the name right now but thats not important.
    Now I just want to be clear on this whole debs thing (grad for the people in the country) so here's a summary of the whole night;

1.The male partner [i.e me] HAS to go to the female partners house regardless of who's debs it actually is?
    2.Chocolates are given to the mammy.
    3.Flowers and the crosage thing are given to the date.
    4.A picture or several million are taken.
    5.Then a fancy car comes and collects you (is it ok just to order a taxi?)
    6.Said car brings you two the location.
    7.Then you piss the night away on over-priced drinks.
    8.Then, you bring the date home at some god ugly hour.
    9.Go home yourself in a somewhat semi conscious state.
    10.Then you spend the next three or so days coming back to normality.:p

If there is anything which I've left out, let me know.

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Don't pre-drink. It'll be a long night so if you do you will almost certainly end up far too pi55ed and make a fool of yourself. My debs was 7 years ago and we still remember those who made absolute spanners of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

When it was my debs, he came to mine. When it was his most I met him down at the bus place outside a local bar where all our school meets before. But all the girls I know of either meet at a localplace or go to his house if it's his debs.

And also why the expensive car? Does your school not provide a bus? Seriously that was one of the best bits of ours. Such a laugh.
    Other then that, yep you got it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Mr.Helpful wrote: »
    Howdy,

Right heres the sceal, Ive got my debs on 18th of next month in some posh place cant think of the name right now but thats not important.
    Now I just want to be clear on this whole debs thing (grad for the people in the country) so here's a summary of the whole night;

1.The male partner [i.e me] HAS to go to the female partners house regardless of who's debs it actually is?

Cheers,
    I've been to 2 debses already so I'll tell you what I did:

1. I was asked to 2 girls' debses and I went to their houses beforehand. For my one I'm probably going to go to my date's house but nothing's definite yet.
    2/3. I gave flowers to the mother, and corsage and chocolates to my date. I ordered the flowers to the houses the day before the debses.
    4.Yeah especially if you are going to the girl's house it's likely there will be a lot of family, friends, etc in the house to see the girl's dress. Also they'll want photos and your date's family will take photos.
    5. Is there no bus organised from the school to the debs? Bus is usually great craic. Fancy cars are a bit much imo but it's your and your date's night. A taxi's ok if you need to.
    6. Yeah and you need to organise how you and your date are getting home if there is no bus or taxi you can get. If you live far away from the venue and doubt you can get a taxi, then book a room. Surely there must be a school bus?
    7. Best advice I can give you is pace yourself. Don't drink too much especially if it's not your own debs. You don't want to make an complete ass of yourself. It's up to you though. I'd have soft drinks with the meal and maybe a few drinks afterwards and in the nightclub. Make sure to get your date a few aswell! ;)
    8. Whatever the situation is between you too, and you've both agreed..or stay in the hotel if you cannot get home. :pac:
    9. yeah you are much better off to do so. It is a long night/morning. likely you won't be home till 7am
    10. yeah I was at my last one on Friday and I'm still somewhat wrecked from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

My Debs is the 09-09-09 in Silversprings

I have my date, have my tickets and have my dress.

Thats about it.

I need shoes, a bag, jewellery and a hair appointment

Last minute sucks =(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah definitely get the bus if you can, it's much better craic! Also I didn't get flowers or chocolates, all i got was the corsage and nothing else was expected tbh. It's an expensive enough night already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Expensive isn't the bloody word :(

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

for myn it was both myn and my dates prom/debs (mixed school) but he came to my house, he gave me a single red rose and got my mum chocolates, then we got a limo!:cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭The Valley

I dont want to sound like a old man but i'm goin to sound like an old man, so apologies.........

I have been to 2 Debs and Drink played a huge part of both night.

As the male you should pace yourself and always keep an eye on your lady that she does not get blotto. It is your job to get her there and back in one piece. A girl asked me to go to a debs about 10 years ago, I went to her house and met her parents for the first time, done all the usuals and off we whent. We were at the debs about 2 hours when she collapsed from drinking shorts so off to AandE we went where I met her parents for the 2nd time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

The Valley wrote: »
    I dont want to sound like a old man but i'm goin to sound like an old man, so apologies.........

I have been to 2 Debs and Drink played a huge part of both night.

As the male you should pace yourself and always keep an eye on your lady that she does not get blotto. It is your job to get her there and back in one piece. A girl asked me to go to a debs about 10 years ago, I went to her house and met her parents for the first time, done all the usuals and off we whent. We were at the debs about 2 hours when she collapsed from drinking shorts so off to AandE we went where I met her parents for the 2nd time...

I lol'd :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Ok i'm back to clarify a few things up.
    Yes there is a bus from my school to the venue. However the date lives about 30 mins away from my school so I'm in two minds about how to travel from her gaff to the school.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Dunno if these have been answered, to lasy to actually read all the posts!
    Heres my experience on the 6 or so debs iv been to!
    Howdy,

All lies!!!!! Whomever's debs it is has a few drinks or family over or whatever in their house!
    the date(person who was invited along to the debs) goes to the person whos debs it is house!

Basically, if its your debs, your parents will prob want to invite over relatives etc...
    invite your dates parents to.(not extended family, only her direct family)
    Head to debs or school for bus from there.
    Occasionally you will see if say 4 couple going in on a limo, there might be a party in one of their houses where all the families are invited... depends on the people!
    Meh, if its her debs i would.
    If she was coming to mine i wouldn't.
    Especially if you are inviting the parents over for drinks or whatever in your house first!
    Just be weird, thanks for coming , here is your gift bag???
    Indeed!
    Yes, but it pretty much lasts the whole night whether you remember it or not :pac:
    My school organised a big bus to take us all there. Had a reception in the school then all onto the bus. We just got parents or whatever to take us to the school! If that isn't happening taxi away my man!
    Or bus or limo or whatever
    Why the pre-sesh is necessary! go toasty and just buy a drink now and then to top it up!

Yup, or to an after party of soem sort. Whatever floats your boat at the time
    YES!!
    Your young... prob only be the one day ;)
    Just remember to have few glasses of water throughout the night and eat loads of food on days coming up to debs!

reasons are simple, you dont want to get to drunk and pass out!
    by all means get blasted, but if you feel yourself getting tired, i used to get a red bull and a pint of water. drink them, relax a minute and go back for it!

Enjoy it,
    Can be a great night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

1. The girl I brought came to my house. We initially planned it for me to go to her house until her mammy rang me and suggested dropping her out to mine since it was on the way into the school anyway.
    2. Chocolates and Flowers for her mammy
    3. Corsage for my date
    4. Too many pictures
    5. My dad dropped us in, and took a couple of photo's of my friends and their dates as well as a couple of group pictures of us lads and all of the dates.
    6. We got buses out there. Seriously, if your school has hired buses then absolutely go on them. Best craic in a long time was had on the bus on the way down.
    7. Paced ourselves, in fact I'm pretty sure my date wasn't drunk at all that night. Same couldn't really be said for myself but sure as ya do :P
    8. We got the buses back to the point we were picked up at the start of the night. Bus back = incredible. Everyone was expecting it to be a massive vomit-mobile, but it was the exact opposite. Everyone just had a great time.
    9. My sisters gaf was only a 5 minute walk down the road so we stayed there.

That's what happened at mine, and me and my date had an incredible time. Wasn't the most luxurious or traditional (her coming to mine first, getting the papy to drop us in, staying in the sisters house) but it was just as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Dante

Jesus, I didn't know the debs involved all this ****. Screw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

All the lark beforehand is pissing me off already, cant wait for that all to be over, im sure the rest will be great though.

Its just an overrated and expensive night out imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There's no need to go mad buying flowers and chocolates for the family / mammy.

It's a nice idea, but the thought will be appreciated just as much with a tenner's worth of Lily O'Briens for the womenfolk who have gathered to go "oooh!!" and "aaah", and a single rose for Mammy.

One advantage of the chocs is that it distracts Auntie Bridie and Granny and Mrs. Nosey Neighbour when you arrive, and gets you over that slightly embarrassing first few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

There's no need to go mad buying flowers and chocolates for the family / mammy.

It's a nice idea, but the thought will be appreciated just as much with a tenner's worth of Lily O'Briens for the womenfolk who have gathered to go "oooh!!" and "aaah", and a single rose for Mammy.

One advantage of the chocs is that it distracts Auntie Bridie and Granny and Mrs. Nosey Neighbour when you arrive, and gets you over that slightly embarrassing first few minutes.

Ye I'm dreadin the first few minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

My Debs is the 09-09-09 in Silversprings

I have my date, have my tickets and have my dress.

Thats about it.

I need shoes, a bag, jewellery and a hair appointment

Last minute sucks =(

You call that last minute?!

My debs is the 28/8 (yep,this friday)...

Bought the dress today. No hair appointment or shoes...:eek:
    As for jewellery? Hadn't even thought of it...

Ah sure twill all work out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ahhhh....people are doing hair apponments???

I was just gonna wash and go....maybe feck a tiara on (but my boyfriend wont let me wear a tiara.....or gloves :( )

Piste wrote: »
    Ahhhh....people are doing hair apponments???

I was just gonna wash and go....maybe feck a tiara on (but my boyfriend wont let me wear a tiara.....or gloves :( )

Your debs or his debs? If it's your debs then feck him, he doesn't get a say in the matter! I mean when will you ever get to wear a tiara again??

Edit: also I booked my hair appointment the day before my debs. Good old Peter Mark Rathmines are always empty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

my debs SUCKED!!!!

literally I have had better nights just down in the pub!!!!!!!

was great by the end of the night when we realised we never had to see each other again... a girl got smacked across the face for being the biggest b**** all throughout school!! It was worth 6 stupid years in school to see her crying in bathroom in her debs dress

muahahaha evil laugh :D

enjoy it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm reading through this but just wanna make sure myself. Going to my gf's debs at the start of September.

I go to her house, was going to get chocolates for her mam whilst getting my gf chocolates as well. Should I get a real or fake crossage for her? Which is better or will I leave it up to her?

Cheers thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Howdy,

Cheers,

I think you have it about right. If there is a bus going to the debs then make sure you go on the bus as it'll be better craic and cheaper. Don't forget to buy her 2 or 3 drinks.

When I went to my own one a few weeks ago I had to wait as my date's relations took about 15 million photo's of us so be prepared for that!

As regards your own drinking, the best advice I can give you is to know your limits. If you can handle a lot then there is no problem with drinking before, during and after the dinner! If you can't handle that much then just don't drink til after dinner.

On debs night you want to be drunk but not disgrace yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

My debs are tomorrow.

Last year, we took the bus. It is such a laugh on the bus because there are more of ye. Better than just 4 or 6 people in a limo, haha. Why exclude yourself from the year? It's the last time you'll see half your class again!

I repeated and I am looking forward to meeting people from some classes where I had the most fun in school ever. Friends I just made this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

My grad is Thursday, here's the sequence of events:

1 - Not go.

Algorithmically it's much simplier and, as an added bonus, far cheaper this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Mine's tomorrow night. EFFORT. Not particularly excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Haha, I didn't go to mine. People kept saying "oh, you'll regret it." After just looking through some of the pictures on Facebook, I feel even BETTER about not going. Never gunna see those f*ckers again!

Tbh my debs was crap.

By the end of school half my friends had fallen out with each other and I'd already made much better friends in college. The bathrooms were absolutely destroyed with vomit about half an hour after the dinner cos my year apparently have no idea when to stop drinking so only one cubicle was usable all night. Most of them were wasted before we got there, broken glass everywhere. Having said that the dinner was lovely and the band we had were hilarious. But overall the whole night was awful. Glad I've gotten more use out of my beautiful dress than just that night.

Don't get overly stressed about the whole thing. Ye are presumably starting out in college, don't start in debt cos you went mad on a limo and a solid gold pair of shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

It seems that everyone here hated there debs... Not good!!

I'm lookin forward to mine... Jus hope my date is able to go... Her Da is real protective of er and doesnt want her goin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

How much is one of these corsage thingys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

20 squidaroonies :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement