Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you moved out?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

.......what?

I think it's supposed to be:
    ccar wrote:
    I moved out when I was 18 and went to Dublin for a year to work. But I lived with my aunt so that doesn't really count and I went home most weekends. Then I went to college when I was 19 but I still went home most weekends. I'm living back at home at the moment but it's only a few weeks until I'm back living on my own again.

12. Started boarding school at that age, haven't lived at home full-time since.

Don't lie pikachucheeks. We all now it was a juvenile correctional facility. They put these things in the paper you know.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ccarr wrote: »
    moved wen i was 18 to d big smoke for year to wrk lived wit my anty so dat dsnt realy count, went hme mst wekends. den went to coleoge wen i was 19 stil went hme mst wekends. bck hme living at d moment but only a fewweks til i bck living on my own again:D

you moved out before you learned to spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

I want to move out next year for college but I live 15 mins from it so no funding from the parentals I'm afraid. Its a pity too because I don't get on too well with my parents and I think some distance would help solve the problem. I'm hoping to get a job come September but i don't know if that would be enough to cover the costs. I think on the whole, the age you move out of home depends on how far away you live from the college you go to.

I think on the whole, the age you move out of home depends on how far away you live from the college you go to.

Aside from those who don't go to college.

I actually think that if it wasn't for college I'd probably still live at home. I'm back for the summer now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

I moved out at 18... And never looked back!! My brother on the otherhand didn't moved out till he was 28!!! How the he'll did he last so long there! He's one of those who still brings his washing back to my mother and she's the fool that still does it!!! Can u believe it!
    I moved back home for 3 weeks a few years ago to help mum when my dad was sick..... It was hell! She droves me mad and I endedup doing my brothers washing..... That made me realize it was time to go home.... So I took dad with me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was 26 when I moved out but moved back in again 5 years ago, mainly to care for the old b*llix and avail of free rent & electricity. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BlueButterBean

19 was the best thing i ever done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Daisy Dalzer

I moved out half way through college at 19 when i got a part-time job that paid well enough to cover my rent etc. Cut apron strings completely at 22 when I got first real job. Only visit now and then and my parents have turned my old bedroom into an office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

16 (just after my LC), moved to London to save up to go to college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

17 for college, moved back for a couple of summers for work, but i dont think i could move home again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

22 I think it was. Fair play to you lot movin out at 17/18/19 Would've loved to move out before but I was scared to move in with strangers! Silly me. Was pretty independent from around 19, did all my own cooking, washin etc. And I been workin since 16, earnin decent money since 18 so never asked the folks for ought.

People movin out at 15/16, that's pretty unusual I would've thought? I'd have been so scared!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I didn't move out, my parents sold up and moved 2000 miles away when I was 18/19... el no choice-o!

A few tough times, but I reckon I'm better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

I took a different tack and graciously allowed my parents to move in with me when i was about 2 weeks old. Things were going reasonably ok until i was 17, then they started turning all right-wing on me so I allowed them to continue living in the gaff and got a new one whilst studying. They did of course continue to send me their rent whilst I was studying along with contributions for the leccy they were using.

When I finished my educational pursuits, we sat down and reviewd their wills, as I found the terms reasonably acceptable, I have made the conscious decision to allow them to remain in the residence untils such time as I can pack them off into an elderly care facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i was technically 18 when i officially moved out, i think... but the last two years before htat were characterised with me being kicked out or storming out. spent a lot of time couch surfing and sleeping rough on the occasions that i couldnt find a couch.

i moved to nz when i was 19 though. maybe i was 17 when i officially moved out, im pretty sure i was living there for much longer than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i was 20 i think, but have been back for a few months here and there. It's like a hotel Chez Maman these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

22, moved to Italy for a while.

Wanted out of house when i started college but coudln't afford my own rent and bills on the jobs i had. Stupid overpriced Dublin rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Not sure if it counts but i moved out for a few months when I was 18. it was in with my mates (which I'd never do again!!) and moved back to start college.

Wanna move out now and in with my OH but finances are a bit precarious now. will do it as soon as i can though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

8, I went to live in a tree, I came home when I ran out of biscuits.

a week after i turned 18.. went back for 2 months the same year but now i'm gone for good. get on wit mam waay better now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Lived away for a year in college, was 18, then went to oz for a year, now broke, 25 and back living with mammy and daddy :( it's not easy but cant afford anything at the mo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

lisajane wrote: »
    Im 27 and still at home. Though i had 2 summer jobs away from home a few years back. I suppose it doesn't really count as moving out.
    Not for long though. Im looking for work away from home again. It wont be easy but i cant put up with my sister's terrible moody temper tantrums anymore. I hope i never see her again!

ha ha ha, something about that is so 16 years old.

Just tell your sister to move the **** out man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

I was 17 when I went off to Dublin to what's now DCU, though it was NIHE (D) all those squillions of years ago.
    Never moved back in with the parents, though I suppose the day will come when one of them dies and the other one will come and live with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

I moved out in 2004 when I was 24. I was very lucky in a sense. Around 2003 my attentions were stirred when I saw an apartment in town going for €94,000. Turned out that was the reserve price but I got it without a mortgage for €98,000 (€100,000 with fees). I put €4600 of my money (all but €600 of it) towards it, whereas the balance was paid for by my mother selling most of her shares. It turned out of course that the area had a serious problem with anti-social behaviour, which might help explain the price. But I am a free agent now and it's worth it I suppose now that the Gardai seem to have gotten on top of the problem, which was caused by Traveller families living on a neighbouring estate, terrorising the inhabitants on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

First moved out at 18 for 3 years had to move home for 6 months when i ran out of money then moved out again been in 3 houses since but still call for dinner the odd time and for mammy soup:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

moved out at 17 when i got a job away from home, stilll have a room there and go home for some TLC from the mammy whenever i can. or to sponge money when i cant get to the end of the month!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

can we all stop saying "mammy" please? Stupid culchies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was 17 when I moved out ... 18 when I moved back ... almost 19 when I moved out again ... 21 when I moved back ... and now, at 23, I'm finally moving out for good.

They won't admit it, but they'll miss me, really they will!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    can we all stop saying "mammy" please? Stupid culchies...

mammy mammy mammy...

Oh sorry should it be "Mum"

• Advertisement

I moved out at 17....but I've always come back at the weekends.

I'm contemplating avoiding home for a while, so that my parents learn to fend for themselves. :P

Advertisement