Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you moved out?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Just something I'm very curious about. When did you move out of your parent's house or when do you hope to?

I'm thinking of moving out of the family home in about a year or so, when ever I feel I have enough money and a steady job to keep myself near enough to the surface. I want to move out to get some freedom from the family and to be closer to college, and I also really dislike being dependent on my parents for so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

21 when I moved to Australia.

Before that I was a proper mammy's boy. Packed lunches for college and everything :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was 22 when I moved out. You don't need to be dependent too much on your parents just because you live there though, if you've got a job then you're probably paying your way already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I was 17 when I first moved out for college but I still go home most weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭gar120

but i was travelling for a year before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

26 and still at home :) gonna move to wexico soon to live with the lack :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

16ish.
    Haven't been home since except for one stint of a few months last year. 22 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Up to the big smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hmm, think i moved out and back in a few times :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

17 when I went to college as well... Went home for weekends in the first year or two. The rest of college went home about once a month, so at stage I suppose you could say I was fully moved out. Most of my stuff was in my college gaf.

Started work at 22 in Dublin and have been living there ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Moved out when I was 18, but didn't cut the apron strings properly until I was 23:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Im 27 and still at home. Though i had 2 summer jobs away from home a few years back. I suppose it doesn't really count as moving out.
    Not for long though. Im looking for work away from home again. It wont be easy but i cant put up with my sister's terrible moody temper tantrums anymore. I hope i never see her again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

18, put my pen down the last day of the LC , got on a train and never came back! . . . (to live that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

17. Moved to Dublin, got part time job, went to college, rented! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

18. Moved to Sligo for college then when I finished at 21 I came back home and moved out into my own place in town. Yeah I'm cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

23*

*from 21 I was in England and hopping back and forth from there to the US before finally moving when I was 23. Mamstill sends me tea and crisps. <3 Mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

17 will the exception of my Old mans funeral I have never stayed overnight there since .

Oh i'm 39 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

16, moved country too. Was very brave at that age.

Never moved back, am nearly 24 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

define moving out, started living away from home at 21, fending for my self, paying rent, feeding my self, washing my own clothes, etc, but still come home at least every few weekends for a night or two, still have my own room but very few personal items in it (doubles as a guest room when ocasionally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

17. Still go home for a night or two every week though but I mean, I only moved to Dublin from Kildare so it isn't a big trip and I love a mammy dinner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

17, still head home for the odd weekend once every 2 or 3 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

17 for college, haven't lived at home full-time since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Moving for college in 2 weeks, don't intend moving back in. Maybe for a few weeks or so, but not permanently. I'm 20, btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

tman wrote: »
    Moved out when I was 18, but didn't cut the apron strings properly until I was 23:o

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Moved for college in January, so 19. Back home now, and staying here for this year in college. Can commute, and home cooked meals are miles better than what I was eating last term :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

liah wrote: »
    16ish.
    Haven't been home since except for one stint of a few months last year. 22 tomorrow.

you're legal? awesome. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

genericguy wrote: »
    you're legal? awesome. :)

Reeeal greasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Years ago. I actually do not know. Early 20's maybe, late teens.

Advertisement