Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you do anything about Climate Change

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Depending on who you listen to, climate change itself is the conspiracy. Dont cows contribute more to the greenhouse effect than humans?

Anyway, I think you're better off in the long run not worrying about it. If anything we do will have an effect, it will need to be on a massive scale, and therefore implemented by the governments as law. Until that happens, individuals being green won't really do much.

methane is a greenhouse gas which cows emit. However due to food demand there are alot more cows in the world, and to raise them large amounts of rainforest get cut down in Brazil, cutting these forests add to the problem as trees use up greenhouse gas. Climate change has always been happening and has contributed to life on the planet but the problem is humans "intervening".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Logically, thanks to the recession and drop in manufacturing worldwide, global warming should have reduced quite a bit. If it hasn't, then the mad scientists must be bullsh1tting us.

the increase in fossil fuel usage in India and China alone each year is greater than the combinded usage of the EU.

Developing countries are burning more oil and coal every year, just because there is less manufacturing going on in the west doesnt mean the global usage of fossil fuels is going down, it's raising, A LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sighhhh

The naivety of some of you guys here is, well, disturbing.
    What do you guys expect a little min ice age over the course of 100 yrs or so?
    Jeez..

Firstly, Global temperatures rising = water level rises -> lowland areas flooded.
    Melting of Artic Ice introduces fresh water into salt water making it more dense - not good at all. Ever hear of the North Atlantic Drift? You know the thing that makes our seas 'Ice Free' and our winters relativity warm. Well that drift thingy could shut down cause long harsh freezing winters.
    Oh and not to mention that the increased body of seawater would cause heavier showers and increased flash floods. Oh and did anyone mention that the the rise in temperatures would also cause high temp summers with intense rainfall but also intense DROUGHT - best of luck to the farmers in growing crops (especially potato) in those conditions.

Oh and I forgot that permafrost ice contains methane..methane is a greenhouse gas..methane in atmosphere not good..melting ice releases more and more methane speeding up the entire warming process...so folks stop farting :)

The biggest problem is that people think it's "global warming" which isn't exactly true, it's Global Climate change. Ireland will have longer colder winters and shorter wetter summers, also in the next 10 years there is a massive change that we will lose the gulf stream because of it, cooler water from the ice caps will replace this which in result will mean even colder winters as in arctic circle conditions, we would pretty much have the same climate as iceland and we are a nation are not able for it, we don't have the infrastructure or the money to develop the infrastructure.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The biggest problem is that people think it's "global warming" which isn't exactly true, it's Global Climate change. Ireland will have longer colder winters and shorter wetter summers, also in the next 10 years there is a massive change that we will lose the gulf stream because of it, cooler water from the ice caps will replace this which in result will mean even colder winters as in arctic circle conditions, we would pretty much have the same climate as iceland and we are a nation are not able for it, we don't have the infrastructure or the money to develop the infrastructure.

Beat ya:P:D

Forgot to add that Skin Cancer rates due to increased UV penetration are expected to rise..
    I think...need to check up on this one again

• Advertisement

Get down off yer high horses, Ive provided links to academic research and ye respond with none.

Firstly Malty T your wrong and here is why:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980-4,00.html
    What usually keeps the Gulf Stream running is that warm water is lighter than cold water, so it floats on the surface. As it reaches Europe and releases its heat, the current grows denser and sinks, flowing back to the south and crossing under the northbound Gulf Stream until it reaches the tropics and starts to warm again. The cycle works splendidly, provided the water remains salty enough. But if it becomes diluted by freshwater, the salt concentration drops, and the water gets lighter, idling on top and stalling the current. Last December, researchers associated with Britain's National Oceanography Center reported that one component of the system that drives the Gulf Stream has slowed about 30% since 1957. It's the increased release of Arctic and Greenland meltwater that appears to be causing the problem, introducing a gush of freshwater that's overwhelming the natural cycle. In a global-warming world, it's unlikely that any amount of cooling that resulted from this would be sufficient to support glaciers, but it could make things awfully uncomfortable.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/
    Using observations and climate models we found that, at the latitudes of Europe, the atmospheric heat transport exceeds that of the ocean by several fold. In winter it may even by an order of magnitude greater. Thus it is the atmosphere, not the ocean, that does the lion's share of the work ameliorating winter climates in the extratropics. We also found that the seasonal absorption and release of heat by the ocean has a much larger impact on regional climates than does the movement of heat by ocean currents.

Bear in mind that "the Gulf Stream has slowed about 30% since 1957" according to the time article. So where is the colder weather? Global warming holding it back?
    The Gulf Stream and future climate change
    A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting glaciers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

Seaneh - there are several climatic projections for global warming. We can choose from a variety of them but each are different.

Have ye not read my posts? The fact is if we werent producing greenhouse gasses we would have cooled. One degree cooling gives us a mini ice age.

We can deal with warming but not with cold. Global warming is not all negative. They started building the Zuider Zee in 1918. I included the year in my post for emphasis that its not modern technology to reclaim land from the sea or to deal with sea levels rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We are not damaging our environment by carbon emissions. We are hunting species to extinction and destroying natural habitats, that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

so what your saying is , our weather will be even worse than it is now , i thought climate change would result in wetter winters and wetter years over all but hot dry summers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Malty_T wrote: »

Well, if everyone has this attitude then we are DOOMED:(

Ah bull sh1t.
    So what is your worst case senario? Rising sea levels, colder winters, flash flooding, hot short summers.

Now if all this is to gradually occur over many many years, the changes will be small over a lifetime and man in general will be able to adapt be it by reclaiming land from the sea, putting suitable infrastructure in place to deal with weather, getting used to colder winter/hot wet summer, the next generation will be born to this climate, whats the big deal?
    IMO, the planet & the people will cope with these changes. I would be more worried about things like nuclear fallout and not something as natural as carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

is there any evidence of sea levels rising? i dont think so, people may point to a the sea coming further up a beach than in previous years as a sign of rising sea levels but this isnt necesarily true, that is most likely caused by erosion, in some areas land mass is expanding, does this mean sea level is falling, more likely it is caused by deposition.

If the sea levels were realy rising the heights of mountains would have to be lower on maps, due to higher sea levels, but im not sure that they ever update mountain heights, so rise in sea level most likely isnt happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Global Warming => Huge Dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

like others have said, i turn stuff off to save moeny

inface for the laugh i have typed this up with the screen turned off

bUt i have to tune it back on noww to find the submret button

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We've stopped putting kidney beans in our Chilli, every little bit helps.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

the increase in fossil fuel usage in India and China alone each year is greater than the combinded usage of the EU.

Developing countries are burning more oil and coal every year, just because there is less manufacturing going on in the west doesnt mean the global usage of fossil fuels is going down, it's raising, A LOT.

I'm assuming that there is a global reduction in manufacturing, not just in the West, but also with the developing countries not producing as much, because us paupers in the West aren't buying as much from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

but if all the polar bears go then what will i eat?

i may have to switch to panda sandwiches.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm assuming that there is a global reduction in manufacturing, not just in the West, but also with the developing countries not producing as much, because us paupers in the West aren't buying as much from them.

doesn't change the fact that if the UK & Ireland stoped buring fossil fuels today the growth of India and China alone would wipe out and reduction in carbon output within 6 months.
    This is fact.

gar_29 wrote: »
    but if all the polar bears go then what will i eat?

i may have to switch to panda sandwiches.

They are just white grizzly's, plenty of the brown ones left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Many threads ago I discovered that trying to discuss/debate the real science behind climate change in AH in very similar to banging my head against a wall, either way I'm almost certain to end up with a sore head.

So I'll refer anyone interested to these websites that are not iffy articles or personal blogs or some other non peer reviewed tripe.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/
    http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=1011
    http://royalsociety.org/page.asp?id=4761
    http://www.grist.org/article/series/skeptics/
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/guide/
    http://www.realclimate.org/
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11462

These are proper sources of information, properly researched and backed by peer reviewed scientific studies/research/papers.
    I'm not forcing anyone to read these and I won't start debating here so if you're interested in really understanding climate change then read away or if you'd prefer to keep your unscientific unfounded views don't bother.
    The links above cover the vast majority of unfounded information, myths or simply bull**** put around about climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Irish Trinity

They are just white grizzly's, plenty of the brown ones left.

we've got white spray pain don't we??...sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

DigiGal wrote: »
    Do you do anything about Climate Change

Yes.
    Next question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

its the hippies who support environmental concerns who are the problem. no one wants to be associated with them.
    they should support big oil and fox hunting so normal people can oppose them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

skregs wrote: »
    its the hippies who support environmental concerns who are the problem. no one wants to be associated with them.

excellent point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RobD_

people seem to be forgetting that countries , continents and Ireland are Islands.. yes ? We are currently floating on water (sea) , if you dig as far as you can into ireland underground, you will find water.

were floating :)

if sea level rise... we rise :p

RobD_ wrote: »
    people seem to be forgetting that countries , continents and Ireland are Islands.. yes ? We are currently floating on water (sea) , if you dig as far as you can into ireland underground, you will find water.

Errr...:confused:...we're surrounded by water not floating on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Actually water vapour is the biggest green house gas,its not that its 'drowning us'it's reflecting the infrared radiation emitted off the earths surface back down to earth thus heating the earth.
    Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Most people think that global warming is going to thaw the polar ice caps and it is the water from this that will rise the ocean levels. That ain't so. The big issue is that when water is heated, it expands, so the rising temp is causing the water to expand upwards, drowning us all. As more heat is in the environment, more water is evaporated into clouds, which means we get more rain, which is happening.

Things are happening quite quickly and we are a part of it. I still can't see why turning something off as opposed to leaving it on stand by makes any difference at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I do everything within my power to speed it along. The worlds fubar! What we need now is a good old fashioned global disaster to reset everything and put us back in our place. Best thing that could happen to human civilisation IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 stephen_mch

skregs wrote: »

I agree. Damn Hippies

Mouthing off about things they know nothing about,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

in my opinion i have helped climate change,

by burning 1000 gallons of green diesel each day, and having 70 cows, is also a plus,

i also smoke,

great ,i think to be helping the enviornment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Pjays wrote: »
    Additionally, at the moment, there has been research highlighting how the introduction of China and India to the superpowers is leading to an increased demand for meat, which in turn is putting great pressure on supplies. There are too many people on the planet as well.

Obvious solution: Start eating people.
    RobD_ wrote: »

..are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

iv considered cutting back on my farting, but then what about spontaneous combustion??:pac:

Advertisement