Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whoever mentioned triple town, i want my life back its been taken over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://f-droid.org/ - independend open source apps market.
    Direct link: http://f-droid.org/FDroid.apk

I'm not sure if it's on google market as I refuse to accept the new licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Why do you refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Baza210 wrote: »
    Why do you refuse?

You shouldn't have asked that! I feel a rant coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

nedd wrote: »
    You shouldn't have asked that! I feel a rant coming.

I'm curious myself though too, what's the issue?

• Advertisement

OK, here comes the rant! :D

Imagine situation that someone has unrelated information that :
    - there is a car on street X parked ot house No. 23
    - a car is audi A4
    - you own a car
    - your name is Y
    - you live on the street X

Now link all those informations and you have a full big brother type info that you live on the street X, your name is Y, you own audi A4, so it's obvious that you have to be presented with an advertisment where to buy your next audi! Replace type of the info with something more relevant to the internet, "someone" with your favourite web page and ask youself if you're OK with the fact that your full dossier is somewhere completely out-of-your-control. I'm not OK with that..

I know I might join Richard Stallman, but he's a good fella... :)

PrzemoF wrote: »

- a car is audi A4
    - you own a car
    - your name is Y

Now link all those informations and you have a full big brother type info that you live on the street X, your name is Y, you own audi A4, so it's obvious that you have to be presented with an advertisment where to buy your next audi! Replace type of the info with something more relevant to the internet, "someone" with your favourite web page and ask youself if you're OK with the fact that your full dossier is somewhere completely out-of-your-control. I'm not OK with that..

But in all seriousness, do Google really care about you or me? They only care about the aggregates, the rest is all automation...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

PrzemoF wrote: »

- a car is audi A4
    - you own a car
    - your name is Y
    - you like wear a tin hat on street X

fyp

Also, if that sort of thing concerns you, you might not want to be be on the internet at all. Sure your ISP knows what you like to surf based on your ip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have to laugh about people who are complaining about Googles new T&C's especially when they're complaining on Facebook! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I never understood that. A lot of app developers make their income through advertisements and plenty of consumers prefer free ad containing apps as opposed paid ad free apps. With that in mind it makes sense to try and tailor the ads to the consumer as much as possible. If you owned an audi I'm sure you would be more interested in seeing the new model as opposed the new micra. So you get ads more relevant to you, stuff you might actually want to buy and are glad it was brought to your attention and the developer has a better chance of increasing his revenue which increases the likelihood of them developing more and better apps for you, the consumer.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    A lot of app developers make their income through advertisements and plenty of consumers prefer free ad containing apps as opposed paid ad free apps.

What about GPLed app & donate if you like? Check OsmAnd and OsmAnd+ - it's a very good example.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    If you owned an audi I'm sure you would be more interested in seeing the new model as opposed the new micra. So you get ads more relevant to you, stuff you might actually want to buy and are glad it was brought to your attention and the developer has a better chance of increasing his revenue which increases the likelihood of them developing more and better apps for you, the consumer.

ShooterSF, just to keep the topic in the car world - I'd prefer to see a merc/kia/honda adds just to have a choice :rolleyes:

BTW You're drawing a line between developers and consumers. I prefer to treat everyone as users, just some of us bothered to learn how to code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm gonna go out on a limb with this wild suggestion...but maybe... just don't click an ad that you don't have any interest in?

I'm sure google knows I like naked women, I haven't seen any queuing up for me on my street yet though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I'm sure google knows I like naked women, I haven't seen any queuing up for me on my street yet though :D

Do they know what time of day you like to look at them though??
    If this doesn't fix it you should probably drop google an email and maybe they could update their algorithm;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just noticed DoneDeal.ie have android app. A damn nice app too if you're interested in that

Haha, seems I wrote a poem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

Good app for accessing your files through a web browser on a laptop using the same network as your phone. This works very much like Kies Air does for Samsung phones:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i also want my life back due to triple town :(
    so addictive once you get the hang of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Temple Run is coming out March 27th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Did anyones Market update to Play Store yet?
    Am I the only one who still hasnt got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Did anyones Market update to Google Play yet?

Mine has on both my Galaxy Nexus and My Galaxy Tab 10.1. What you running mate?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Did anyones Market update to Play Store yet?
    On both my Galaxy Ace and Galaxy 10.1 tab.

Osmos HD is quite a nice app and is reduced at the moment, as is Camara Zoom FX as part of the current sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

My htc desire s is on google play so is my daughters galaxy mini , but my other daughters sony and my sons older galaxy are still on android market .

I got bored waiting so downloaded the apk...

(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535071)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

dulpit wrote: »
    I got bored waiting so downloaded the apk...

(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1535071)

I tried this earlier and I tried it now. When I open the .apk file it opens package installer gives an error "There was a problem parsing the package" and quits

Its a Vodafone 845 running 2.1. Unlocked if that matters, but its Google pushing the update not the carrier so

Well at least I know Im not the only one haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I tried this earlier and I tried it now. When I open the .apk file it opens package installer gives an error "There was a problem parsing the package" and quits

Its a Vodafone 845 running 2.1. Unlocked if that matters, but its Google pushing the update not the carrier so

Well at least I know Im not the only one haha

You don't install it, you need to replace your existing market with it, copy it to your system folder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

budgemook wrote: »
    Good app for accessing your files through a web browser on a laptop using the same network as your phone. This works very much like Kies Air does for Samsung phones:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zYW5kLmFpcmRyb2lkIl0

brillant app much better than Kies Air.
    hawkwind23 wrote: »
    i also want my life back due to triple town :(
    so addictive once you get the hang of it!

i know the feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

For anyone that likes developing apps
    AIDE Android IDE , create and run apps on your device. Quite amazing.

Hi all,
    I read a lot of ePubs on my phone but it's not a a HTC even though I love the in built HTC reader the best. I found the APK online but it won't install :-( Anyone here have any luck getting it installed on a non HTC phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I read a lot of ePubs on my phone but it's not a a HTC even though I love the in built HTC reader the best. I found the APK online but it won't install :-( Anyone here have any luck getting it installed on a non HTC phone??

What's it called ?
    For epubs I use Aldiko and amazon for downloading them.

Ste- wrote: »
    What's it called ?
    For epubs I use Aldiko and amazon for downloading them.

It's the eReader built into all HTC phones. Just love the look and feel and how it works!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys can anyone tell me how to get my wifi to automatically switch on when at home but off when I'm anywhere else? I just reset my phone and it used to do this fine, but now its not. I'm not sure what app i had before wiping and reinstalling it, but whenever I came within 100m or so of my house the Wifi would automatically turn on, but then it would just use the data everywhere else.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement