Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

And unless you've the unknown sources option ticked in settings it won't install.

this game has been out a while but it's probably the best action game that I've played on android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deadmage.shadowblade.paid&hl=en

good replayability as you complete a stage but then you can also complete to get achievement points based on time and collecting things.

achievement points are then used to unlock hardcore stages.

two control schemes available - would recommend using the virtual joystick - normally not a fan of this but it works amazingly well here - one of the main reasons that the game is so good.

there is also a free demo version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deadmage.shadowblade&hl=en

The full version has 40 stages (that get harder as you go along).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

RainyDay wrote: »
    If it was that simple, there would be no anti-virus industry or software in the world.

Again as said thats for Windows. Android does not get traditional viruses in the same way as windows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

OSI wrote: »
    The Stagefright MMS vulnerability would certainly have something to say about all the "You can only get compromised from installing apks from unknown sources" comments.

But thats nothing an antivirus app off the store can help you with, thats up to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

AVs don't detect them until they're added to the database, in which time word of it has already gotten out. It will be much better than manual control in instances like that though, as its normally faster than a manual uninstall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

nedd wrote: »
    When you click the attachment you get prompted that you are installing an app. Don't blindly install apps.
    AVs don't detect them until they're added to the database, in which time word of it has already gotten out. It will be much better than manual control in instances like that though, as its normally faster than a manual uninstall

Word might have 'gotten out' to people who hang around forums like this, but the vast majority of Android users don't hang around forums like this. They have no idea of the difference between an apk and a pdf or a xls. They are trained by crap software to pretty-much ignore error messages and click 'yes' blindly.

Is there any reason NOT to install an AV app on an Android phone?

Eats up RAM, CPU and battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Yes, they don't do anything that your Android phone isn't already doing, costing you CPU and wasting your battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Google Photos vs Dropbox anybody? I've used dropbox for awhle, simplest way I upload and keep my stuff organised on the phone is plug the phone into the laptop and copy the folders into the dropbox folder and everything uploads.....in the folders I already have.

Checking out google photos today........and its an absolute mess with everything uploaded together and just sorted by time?! Every folder ignored. WTF is this about or what am I doing wrong?

If I wiped my phone fully right now with dropbox I could have everything back in an instant by copying the share folder on the laptop back to the phone, how would this work with Google photos?! Im confused as f**k right now and will be deleting google photos and drive off my laptop fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Google Photos vs Dropbox anybody? I've used dropbox for awhle, simplest way I upload and keep my stuff organised on the phone is plug the phone into the laptop and copy the folders into the dropbox folder and everything uploads.....in the folders I already have.

Checking out google photos today........and its an absolute mess with everything uploaded together and just sorted by time?! Every folder ignored. WTF is this about or what am I doing wrong?

If I wiped my phone fully right now with dropbox I could have everything back in an instant by copying the share folder on the laptop back to the phone, how would this work with Google photos?! Im confused as f**k right now and will be deleting google photos and drive off my laptop fairly soon.

The Dropbox app camera upload straight from your phone works the exact same way as Google Photos, all upload to a single camera upload folder. You've been doing things manually and using Dropbox folder sync. Google Photos are sorted by date unless you put them in collections.

• Advertisement

The Dropbox app camera upload straight from your phone works the exact same way as Google Photos, all upload to a single camera upload folder. You've been doing things manually and using Dropbox folder sync. Google Photos are sorted by date unless you put them in collections.

Ok I get ya, thinking about it since to get the same functionality as I currently use Dropbox I need to copy direct to the drive windows folder, I can't stand pictures all mixed together with no organisation! And I don't want to re organisation stuff into collections needlessly when its already organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

sentient_6 wrote: »

Why do you back everything up to your laptop when it's already backed up in the cloud?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Why do you back everything up to your laptop when it's already backed up in the cloud?

Data is lost from cloud servers too

Only using the Dropbox share folder as a means of upload.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Data is lost from cloud servers too

Its never happened me in years of using cloud services such as OneDrive and Google Drive/Music.

Tinie wrote: »
    Its never happened me in years of using cloud services such as OneDrive and Google Drive/Music.

I've never lost data from mechanical hard drives, I'm just saying it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Is there anything people can recommended as an immediate must have?

Tiny Flashlight (it's the best one, you'll never find the charger to plug in your phone when you're in bed without it, does heaps of other cool sh!t, like Morse Code)

OsmAnd Maps & Navigation (Offline Maps for when you get lost (use morse code here), it's the best cuz of all the points of interest and sh*t in it to do when you bored outta your tree)

Flud (Helps you obtain stuff too look at when your not lost)

Yahoo Weather (Saves you havin to look up at the Dark clouds, if they are gonna wet your head, this will tell ya)

Unit Converter (Cuz Americans like being awkward)

Quickpic (For looking at your pics, you can turn on a secret password protected folder to store all your better halfs suacey pics so some nosey fecker doesn't see them when you give them your phone to look at a pic of a nice cat. Also links up to the mighty 500px with a swipe of the screen to the right, you'll never go spare looking for a new background again. Doesn't want permission to look at all your pics)

ISS Detector (Tells ya that thing you thought was an alien was actually a..........)

Strava App (For the Fitness yo)

Textsecure (Stops that nosey fecker^^^from looking at your Txts + stops your better half from saving your sent saucey pics if you don't want them to save them, disables screenshots within the App.)

Twilight (The only really must have for me, stops you going blind)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wasn't tiny flashlight involved in having Malware integral to the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Flud (Helps you obtain stuff too look at when your not lost)

Is Flud better /quicker than uTorrent?

Anyone recommend an instagram app that allows multiple accounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »
    Doesn't allow posting, just viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

duploelabs wrote: »
    Anyone recommend an instagram app that allows multiple accounts?

The only option is to install Instwogram from here.

It is a copy of the instagram app, so you have the official app pointed to one accound, Instwogram pointed to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Osmand.gif

OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation OsmAnd

Paid/Support (€6.49): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus&hl=en

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en
    OsmAnd+ (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data. All map data can be stored on your device's memory card for offline use. Via your device's GPS, OsmAnd offers routing, with optical and voice guidance, for car, bike, and pedestrian. All the main functionalities work both online and offline (no internet needed).

---

Having a proper, full, offline country map is a Godsend. I'm partial to the vector style of map display that OsmAnd offer, very reminiscent of road maps supplied by Ordnance Survey Ireland. (osi.ie)

Vector mapping that to me, beats the likes of Google and Bing, from the point of view of aesthetics.

I haven't tried the free version, but the paid app allows the download of any country that you care to view, Ireland is a vector map download of about 150MB, give or take.

A crowd sourced manner of mapping, evolves thanks to, possibly, *your* input.

There are issues with the UI, having to enter a full address to 'go to', can be tiresome, if you're looking for wildcard searches, Google/Bing will provide a more instant experience, but for offline use, it works great.

---

Osm_And01boards.gif

Osm_And02boards.gif

Osm_And03boards.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is Flud better /quicker than uTorrent?

Pretty much the same just looks better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm heading to Iceland in September and want a good SatNav to use where I can download an offline map of the country and use this (without having to use data).

Any suggestions? I use Google Maps pretty religiously here in Ireland so a similar interface would be welcome, and preferably one that suggests locations as I type.

OsmAnd+ but I don' know about having to type in full addresses, especially in a country I'm not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'm heading to Iceland in September and want a good SatNav to use where I can download an offline map of the country and use this (without having to use data).

Any suggestions? I use Google Maps pretty religiously here in Ireland so a similar interface would be welcome, and preferably one that suggests locations as I type.

OsmAnd+ but I don' know about having to type in full addresses, especially in a country I'm not familiar with.

I used Here Maps over there a few months ago. Worked perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057472008 for more suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Amalgam wrote: »
    Osmand.gif

OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation OsmAnd

Paid/Support (€6.49): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus&hl=en

Free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&hl=en

---

Having a proper, full, offline country map is a Godsend. I'm partial to the vector style of map display that OsmAnd offer, very reminiscent of road maps supplied by Ordnance Survey Ireland. (osi.ie)

Vector mapping that to me, beats the likes of Google and Bing, from the point of view of aesthetics.

I haven't tried the free version, but the paid app allows the download of any country that you care to view, Ireland is a vector map download of about 150MB, give or take.

A crowd sourced manner of mapping, evolves thanks to, possibly, *your* input.

There are issues with the UI, having to enter a full address to 'go to', can be tiresome, if you're looking for wildcard searches, Google/Bing will provide a more instant experience, but for offline use, it works great.

---

Osm_And01boards.gif

Osm_And02boards.gif

Osm_And03boards.gif

That app needs an update as the stena is gone from Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement