Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SteM

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Is there a way to stop the space being entered automatically after typing a word?

Not that I can see. It's a feature I like so I've never looked to turn it off before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've been testing the beta of this version of Swiftkey for the last few months now.
    Overall it's pretty good.

As someone who has previously purchased this, they are giving you a free theme pack from their store worth $4.99, so make sure if you bought it before to get your free theme pack for a choice of extra themes :)

There's one called spotlight blue that I like, has no visible buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I've been testing the beta of this version of Swiftkey for the last few months now.
    Overall it's pretty good.

As someone who has previously purchased this, they are giving you a free theme pack from their store worth $4.99, so make sure if you bought it before to get your free theme pack for a choice of extra themes :)

There's one called spotlight blue that I like, has no visible buttons!

How do I go about doing this? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I don't think so, but it's actually quite intelligent so you don't need to turn it off.
    If you hit space then type a ? or . or , or something like that, it will automatically place the punctuation directly after the word.

Some of the little things like that are slightly different to the Google keyboard but take a day or two with it and you'll get used to the differences.

EDIT: Is there a particular reason you ask??

Habit of hitting the space bar! I've been double spacing all afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

muirsheen wrote: »

Go to themes and then store.

On the word thing, it can be awkward to enter an email address at times, but other than that it's by far the best keyboard out there.

• Advertisement

muirsheen wrote: »

Find Swiftkey in your app drawer and open it.
    Under Settings, tap on Themes.
    Tap the Swiftkey Store button.
    Tap on Packs.
    You should see a Premier pack that shows as Free €4.99.
    Tap on this and your themes will download.

I got an email from them this morning to say that I was been given this for free, cos I had bought the main app in the past.

I hope it's the same for everyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

jeffk wrote: »
    Id say its more a pisstake/dig at me as i have made a few posts about battery saving ideas/apps.

Autosync is the main problem,after that people say screen brightness,use 2g where possible,screen timeout,use greenify,stop apps running at boot,turn off data/wifi/bluetooth when not in use

it wasn't a pisstake/dig at you, it was meant to be a joke (agreeing with you that no one reads the thread, then asking for battery apps, that you posted a lot about) but nobody go it, maybe i should've used a smiley

i don't use any battery saver apps myself, I:
    keep brightness down most of the time
    turn off connections when i'm not using them
    sync manually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Find Swiftkey in your app drawer and open it.
    Under Settings, tap on Themes.
    Tap the Swiftkey Store button.
    Tap on Packs.
    You should see a Premier pack that shows as Free €4.99.
    Tap on this and your themes will download.

I got an email from them this morning to say that I was been given this for free, cos I had bought the main app in the past.

I hope it's the same for everyone :D

after getting swiftkey for free today, the premier pack is €4.49

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

donegal. wrote: »

I'd say they just switched their business model from users paying a fee for the app to users getting the app free then paying for premium options if they want them.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭SteM

donegal. wrote: »

The premier pack is only free for people that have paid for Swiftkey in the past. If you got Swiftkey for free today then you will have to pay for the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it wasn't a pisstake/dig at you, it was meant to be a joke (agreeing with you that no one reads the thread, then asking for battery apps, that you posted a lot about) but nobody go it, maybe i should've used a smiley

i don't use any battery saver apps myself, I:
    keep brightness down most of the time
    turn off connections when i'm not using them
    sync manually

Sorry,I take it back so.

I THINK most people want one app that turns autosync on/off,data on/off,controls brightness etc and expect miracles. To get a decent return unfortunaley you need to put in some manual work like you said and/or combine it with certain apps that do it.

By in large I found all battery saver apps crap and ive even paid for a few(easy to get a refund on google play)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

SwiftKey is free from today!

Brilliant app!

I paid money for it!

:mad:

Still a great app.

edit: Just saw us loyal old dogs get a free premier pack. My fury has subsided dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

As someone who paid for Swiftkey in the past I gave it another go there but have gone back to Swype once again (for the umpteenth time). The Swiftkey predictions are good, but it's Flow is very poor for swiping, the Google default keybaord has better swiping. I keep going back to Swiftkey to see if they improve the Flow actions but it doesn't seem to be an area they're focusing on. The Swype keyboard has it's niggles but is the best of the lot for swiping as it allows you to quickly select and edit words, quickly capitalise first letter of the word or the full word and has gesture shortcuts for ctrl + c and ctrl + v.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I paid money for it!

Still a great app.

edit: Just saw us loyal old dogs get a free premier pack. My fury has subsided dramatically.

I don't ever remember paying for SwiftKey in the past but the premium pack was free today ;-)

Cheers,
    M

I paid money for it!

Still a great app.

It's worse if you had paid for the old Swiftkey Tablet app in the past as well....b*stards aren't getting another penny off me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

madmoe wrote: »
    I don't ever remember paying for SwiftKey in the past but the premium pack was free today ;-)

Cheers,
    M

Is the premium pack just a few themes btw or am I missing something? Bit skimpy! The only one i use is holo which is standard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Is the premium pack just a few themes btw or am I missing something? Bit skimpy! The only one i use is holo which is standard anyway.

I thought that too. And you have to sign in to their cloud services to get them. I signed out after seeing that it wasn't for me, and the themes that came with the premium pack disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got SwiftKey via the Amazon app store a while back in the "Free App of the Day" section. I removed it and installed the one today from Google Play. I got the premium theme pack. its all a bit meh though.

FYI, you can disable the space bar stuff by going into the settings and "Advanced" and you'll see the first option there to configure what the space bar does.

There's also an option for the ladies underneath....:cool:

Tried swiftkey and swype and never found anything that google keyboard couldn’t do. They feel bloated and seem to be slower all round and google have the swipe function included. Also the predicative seems to be way off in swiftkey/swype.

A good tip for people is to freeze an old app, try out the new one and if they don’t like it, uninstall and defrost the old app with settings etc intact

Apps to freeze/defrost

Link2SD
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD
    Titanium Backup ★ root
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

Also depending on the app/android version there could be a disable button in the manage apps section

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The predictions on SwiftKey are way ahead of Googles keyboard. Once you use it for a period of time it starts predicting everything I say.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

There is no need to freeze, you can have several keyboards installed, just change the one set to default. I sometimes manually change to the hackers keyboard before I open an ssh client as it has a tab key and change back after

The predictions on SwiftKey are way ahead of Googles keyboard. Once you use it for a period of time it starts predicting everything I say.

It was doing my head in and mad slow, google flys along and doesn't make up random words for what i put in. Each to their own :)

There is no need to freeze, you can have several keyboards installed, just change the one set to default. I sometimes manually change to the hackers keyboard before I open an ssh client as it has a tab key and change back after

I meant more in general,it came in under keyboards as a lot of people where on about trying different ones and some people might think you have to uninstall before you install a new one.

It was doing my head in and mad slow, google flys along and doesn't make up random words for what i put in. Each to their own :)

Random words? You only get random words at the start, Swiftkey learns from you and over a few days/weeks learns your language, even the txt speak you use. If course, you got to select those random words when they are right. I'd honestly still be using Swiftkey if I didn't get used to swiping.

Random words? You only get random words at the start, Swiftkey learns from you and over a few days/weeks learns your language, even the txt speak you use. If course, you got to select those random words when they are right. I'd honestly still be using Swiftkey if I didn't get used to swiping.

Ill give it a longer trial so, do you sign in for it to learn off facebook etc?

Ill give it a longer trial so, do you sign in for it to learn off facebook etc?

Yes, and Google and Twitter etc, it will learn your contacts and the language you use. I'd say it takes 2-3 weeks to train.

It can also learn off your existing sms, what words you use.
    I do that with it, I don't post to FB enough for it to learn anything from that.
    That and I try and limit the amount of things that access my FB account.
    Seems like every f'ing app you d/l these days wants to link to that f'ing website :mad:

It can also learn off your existing sms, what words you use.
    I do that with it, I don't post to FB enough for it to learn anything from that.
    That and I try and limit the amount of things that access my FB account.
    Seems like every f'ing app you d/l these days wants to link to that f'ing website :mad:

And Google is fine.......:D
    Honestly, if you're worried about tracking stop going round with a Google smartphone with GPS in your pocket and go back to a dumb phone

And Google is fine.......:D
    Honestly, if you're worried about tracking stop going round with a Google smartphone with GPS in your pocket and go back to a dumb phone

I couldn't give a flying fcuk about tracking dude :D
    I just have an aversion to everything in the world wanting me to have a FB account and wanting access to said FB account :)

Google can have my left arm if it wants it :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I couldn't give a flying fcuk about tracking dude :D
    I just have an aversion to everything in the world wanting me to have a FB account and wanting access to said FB account :)

Google can have my left arm if it wants it :P

You don't have to link your fb if you don't want! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement