Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers Ste-.. will give this a look later.

Not a fan of the 'Play Music' app at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Basq wrote: »
    Quick one for ye - is there an any other audio players that can play from the Google Play Music service (bar their own 'Play Music' app obviously)?

I know its probably of no use but XBMC have an app for it....

I love the play music app, am I on my own? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Basq wrote: »
    Cheers Ste-.. will give this a look later.

Not a fan of the 'Play Music' app at all.

I preferred the old one without the scrolling album art but what can you do. I don't mind the app. fits in nicely with other google apps.
    Albeit that orange is a bit garish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Do any of the podcast apps playback at double speed?

BeyondPod goes from x0.3 to x3.0 speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Do any of the podcast apps playback at double speed?

Pocket Casts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Dumb Ways to Die
    Great free game. Similar idea to Wario Ware on DS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have a SG3 and i have the alarm set to "briefing" which wakes me and reads out the weather, any appointments and it also read the top headline news...

But, the problem is that it grabs its news from yahoo and the main headline story it reads out could be a day or two old normally or its normally a non relevant US based story and there seems to be no way to change that on the galaxy... which is a bit useless.

Has anyone come across an alarm app that would read out news headlines from Ireland/UK - the likes of sky news or bbc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Decent browser anyone?

Stock has gone very sluggish in my device (s4) next is nice, but doesn't show preview of YouTube on this site, ie only showing blank screens.

Lastly, Swype doesn't seem to go well with them either, though that may be the phone itself.(or it doesn't like boards.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

if you click the vid. it'll show it - from what i mind, i think it's to do with data the don't show automatically

i use boat mostly myself, chrome is popular here & dolphin
    i say give them all a shot as it's personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Lastly, Swype doesn't seem to go well with them either, though that may be the phone itself.(or it doesn't like boards.ie)

I'm having problems with Swype lately also, especially when I try to delete words. Anyone else experiencing this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm having problems with Swype lately also, especially when I try to delete words. Anyone else experiencing this

Yes.

Also when I hit return at the end of a sentence. It randomly puts

half a line of text below. Like it just did here.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you click the vid. it'll show it - from what i mind, i think it's to do with data the don't show automatically

i use boat mostly myself, chrome is popular here & dolphin
    i say give them all a shot as it's personal preference

+1

I use Boat for my private facebook and Chrome for everything else. Dolphin is nice and has plenty of features, but I found it was using battery doing sh*t in the background that I couldn't get under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'm sick of facebook hogging whole chunks of RAM - over 50Mb sometimes. I've tried a couple of facebook front ends and tried the web version through Opera, etc. but it still eats up RAM.

Has anyone come across a workaround or otherise to keep its footprint down (to say under 20Mb)?

b318isp wrote: »
    I'm sick of facebook hogging whole chunks of RAM - over 50Mb sometimes. I've tried a couple of facebook front ends and tried the web version through Opera, etc. but it still eats up RAM.

Has anyone come across a workaround or otherise to keep its footprint down (to say under 20Mb)?

Not sure exactly what it does to the RAM, but for what it's worth, I use the mobile web version of facebook on the Boat Browser. At least when I exit out of Boat, I know it's fully shut down and not doing anything in the background. For another facebook account that I have, I use the mobile version through the Chrome browser.

RAM will manage itself

EDIT: maybe not what you were looking to here but it will, if you only use it the odd time do what waynegalway said/do and use a browser, bookmark it and have quick access to it

RAM will manage itself

EDIT: maybe not what you were looking to here but it will, if you only use it the odd time do what waynegalway said/do and use a browser, bookmark it and have quick access to it

The available RAM often drops to under 20MB, which causes the phone to run poorly - leading it to self reboot.

I'll try the browser again, as at least there is a good chance of the RAM being released thereafter.

The available RAM often drops to under 20MB, which causes the phone to run poorly - leading it to self reboot.

I'll try the browser again, as at least there is a good chance of the RAM being released thereafter.

that shouldn't really be happening

do you exit/close the apps properly went you're finished with them?

that shouldn't really be happening

do you exit/close the apps properly went you're finished with them?

It's only facebook. I've tried to stop sync'ing and push notifications. I've resorted to closing FB through Running Services.

It's only facebook. I've tried to stop sync'ing and push notifications. I've resorted to closing FB through Running Services.

i googled it there, it seems to be a common enough problem
    can you uninstall it?

I had problems with FB running in the background even when I had closed out of it properly, that's why I uninstalled and went the browser route. Just to make sure the browser picks it up in the right mode, go to touch.facebook.com or m.facebook.com

• Advertisement

i googled it there, it seems to be a common enough problem
    can you uninstall it?

Yes.

Yes.

i'd do that then & go via the browser or see if you get a good client for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I briefly used friendcaster awhile ago, you might like it or it might be better than the fb ap itself. Have been using the browser version lately though with chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

If you have rooted your phone, Greenify does a good job of hibernating the Facebook app when you stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Decent browser anyone?

Dophin.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

If you like listening to music on your device and want to improve the sound of it, viper4android is an awesome app!! Downloaded it the other day and cant stop playing around with it..

Note- app requires phone to be rooted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

celticsfan wrote: »
    If you like listening to music on your device and want to improve the sound of it, viper4android is an awesome app!! Downloaded it the other day and cant stop playing around with it..

Note- app requires phone to be rooted :)

Did you get it from XDA or Play Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

dulpit wrote: »
    Did you get it from XDA or Play Store?

I just took the apk from xda for my nexus 4, but the play store works fine as well even though the description is in Chinese.. The package on xda has all the headphone convolver files included while play store is just apk..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just recently got myself the HTC One, don't have much of an interest in games really but I'd like to download something to test out the display on the One. Any recommendations? Free ideally because I'll probably uninstall it almost immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Quick Office is free now and if you sign up with your google a/c you get an extra 10gig allowance bringing it to 15g in total , only until the end of the month it seems , the offer not the extra 10g , I think that lasts for 2 years or something like that . ( sorry , read about it while I was almost asleep last night )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement