Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

Thargor wrote: »
    Im looking for a better music player than the stock android one, something intelligent so I dont have to keep unlocking the phone if you know what I mean, it still locks after one minute even though it should know its being used if theres music playing. Although thinking about it I wouldnt want the phone screen on alll the time either, maybe give me some control with the volume keys or something? Or at least have it go straight to the music player if I press something not the lockscreen again.

Anyway Im sure a smarter app developer than me has already thought of a perfect solution, any ideas?

Player Pro...here's a free trial version...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbig.playerprotrial&feature=search_result

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Winamp does the job flawlessly, already had it installed just didnt tick lockscreen controls, also I like the way it treats folders as albums as a lot of my music is badly tagged samples and mixes, thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Poweramp - excellent player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

Has loads of options and the link above is for a trial so you can see whether you it does what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

SuprSi wrote: »
    Poweramp - excellent player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

Has loads of options and the link above is for a trial so you can see whether you it does what you need.
    I have it on my Nexus 7. It comes on automatically when i plug in headphones. Bit of a pain in the ass. Don't seem to be able to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

I have it on my Nexus 7. It comes on automatically when i plug in headphones. Bit of a pain in the ass. Don't seem to be able to switch it off.

go into settings, headset, untick resume on headset connect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

alanc2003 wrote: »
    go into settings, headset, untick resume on headset connect
    Ah thanks a million, that was doing my nut in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

fxguru seems like a bit of fun :D

T'is. ...but not for long, novelty wears very quickly.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

T'is. ...but not for long, novelty wears very quickly.

:pac:

Thats a very robust keyboard :D I tried it too, pretty awesome, but as said, novelty wears of extremely quick. Not bothered with buying extra effects

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Dice Player. I normally use MX Player but on some videos it doesn't work right. One film worked right for about 10 minutes but after that it would mess up the video (audio still worked right though), another film had no audio at all. They both worked on Dice Player so I'll be sticking to that from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Super Hexagon is taking over my life

• Advertisement

Dice Player. I normally use MX Player but on some videos it doesn't work right. One film worked right for about 10 minutes but after that it would mess up the video (audio still worked right though), another film had no audio at all. They both worked on Dice Player so I'll be sticking to that from now on.
    Did you try to turn of HW decoding? I noticed that used to be the problem on my ex galaxy tab. Lag or won't play hw decoding but plays fine with sw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Did you try to turn of HW decoding? I noticed that used to be the problem on my ex galaxy tab. Lag or won't play hw decoding but plays fine with sw

Neither was selected in the options. I turned on software decoding and both problems are fixed. Thanks.

Edit: Just tried it with hardware decoding and it also works fine. Weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PowerAmp -> Settings -> Headset -> Resume on Headset Connect - Untick ;)

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anyone having trouble with pocket casts since the last update?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm neither here nor there about Star Wars, but I'm partial to a detailed Pinball Table.

swpinballicon.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zenstudios.StarWarsPinball

---

defaultswpinballtable.jpg

The default table (pictured above) works well, lots of animation and audio, extra tables are in app purchases, for the same price as the app. Not essential purchases.

There's an online component that's a tad clingy, plenty of reminders to sign up, Light/Dark side collective balance. You choose which side you want to influence.

Thankfully, if you just want to knock a ball about, you can sidestep all that.

Enjoyable. Not that deep, a quick distraction, pick up and play.

A Nexus 7, or any 7inch tablet, is the perfect size. App plays in portrait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Amalgam wrote: »
    I'm neither here nor there about Star Wars, but I'm partial to a detailed Pinball Table.

swpinballicon.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zenstudios.StarWarsPinball

---

defaultswpinballtable.jpg

The default table (pictured above) works well, lots of animation and audio, extra tables are in app purchases, for the same price as the app. Not essential purchases.

There's an online component that's a tad clingy, plenty of reminders to sign up, Light/Dark side collective balance. You choose which side you want to influence.

Thankfully, if you just want to knock a ball about, you can sidestep all that.

Enjoyable. Not that deep, a quick distraction, pick up and play.

A Nexus 7, or any 7inch tablet, is the perfect size. App plays in portrait.

i bought this yesterday on xbl
    3 tables.great game if you like
    pinball.not tried it on my phone

Pixel Dungeon

pixeldungeonicon.png

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon

App website: http://pixeldungeon.watabou.ru/

A lovely roguelike. Turned up under search results for Delver.

You can play with one finger\stylus.

I love Roguelikes and Dungeon Crawlers. The graphics are pixelated and just about perfect for the gameplay. Games are short and varied. You don't get an easy time, either because of the need to feed yourself, or some downright unlucky enemy placement.

Development on the app is moving along quite quickly, sound and various aspects of the game fleshed out in the last month alone.

---

pixeldungeonmainmenu.pngpixeldungeoninventory.png

pixeldungeontoxicgas.pngpixeldungeontreasury.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Real Racing 3 via play store super racer from EA great graphics and track selection

• Registered Users Posts: 10,607 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gatling wrote: »
    Real Racing 3 via play store super racer from EA great graphics and track selection

Is it good? The verge came down hard against it because of in-app purchases...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/1/4042704/real-racing-3-available-in-the-us-for-free

Im getting so sick of how everything is requiring in-app purchases these days.

• Advertisement

The biggest steamer so far has been The Simpsons game, utter contempt. More or less a giant in app bait and hook with the flimsiest game* wrapped around it.

(*interactive screen saver..)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's how games are making money these days.
    Give the game away and sell additional, non critical content.

Give the game away and sell additional, non critical content.

It isn't the way the market is moving.. the 'time stalling' tactic used in Real Racing 3 and The Simpsons is a relatively new trend. That isn't a passive way of going about things.

Nintendo never stopped you half-way through a game of Tetris and pimped you for L shapes..

In the last week Ive had free games go to a black screen then start buffering a 30 second video ad for Lynx! Using my data connection aswell not the wi-fi, its gone a bit mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dulpit wrote: »

Is it good? The verge came down hard against it because of in-app purchases...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/1/4042704/real-racing-3-available-in-the-us-for-free
    I'm finding it pretty good not really bothered by in game purchases at this stage ,graphics are top notch especially on the nexus 7 ,got a good selection on racing types ,standard 1-2 lap sprints ,elimination racing ,drags ,endurance, plenty to see for the price of nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Amalgam wrote: »
    The biggest steamer so far has been The Simpsons game, utter contempt. More or less a giant in app bait and hook with the flimsiest game* wrapped around it.

(*interactive screen saver..)

It started shouting at me to play it! In the middle of a meeting. Uninstalled and one star rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It started shouting at me to play it! In the middle of a meeting. Uninstalled and one star rating.

Should have your phone on silent on meetings :-)

I don't get it with people complaining a lot freemium games. Their free to play. Don't like it. Uninsta it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I just uninstalled Simpsons because of the annoying notifications. No way to turn them off.

Real Racing 3 is great fun so far. graphics are amazing.

• Advertisement

Should have your phone on silent on meetings :-)

I don't get it with people complaining a lot freemium games. Their free to play. Don't like it. Uninsta it
    Because when I look back over the great gaming moments of my life like collecting all the Materia in Final Fantasy 7 or victories in the Civilizations/Total Wars I wont include the time I spent €1.50 on buying enough gameloft points to make a game go from completely impossible to piss easy, it doesnt really carry the same level of satisfaction, either let people play it properly for the first couple of levels and then pay if they want to carry on or display ads to make the game viable and fully playable, the direction they're heading in now for a lot of the new stuff is "Insert €2 to win game".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement