Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 timetrax

Hey guys,
    For a simple streaming setup to Android from me PC what would you suggest? I just want it to work, no frills etc. XBMC seems a little complicated for me at the moment.

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

jonski wrote: »
    I downloaded it last night after all the talk over the years about it and I found it pretty easy to use . BUT , people would do well to remember that this is not an official release . I would imagine by the time the official one is released it will be simple enough to use . Yes there are loads of add ons and such but they are not necessary just to use it .
    i use it on pc, and have for years. i still think its an OTT interface for just playing a video, but that's not to say its pretty cool.
    the benefit (IMO) comes from the add ons, not from the ability to play a video file.

i.e. if you arent using XBMC add ons, you may as well just use a standard file browser.

the detailed library views lose their attraction after a while, especially if you arent showing them off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

timetrax wrote: »
    Perfect for what I need mate?

Thanks,
    M

Not sure that skin is available to the public yet ;)

XMBC on Android is very early days, it's on first release. There is no hardware acceleration and there will be lots of bugs. There is a big push on to get it stable though. The XBMC team are just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

subway wrote: »
    i use it on pc, and have for years. i still think its an OTT interface for just playing a video, but that's not to say its pretty cool.
    the benefit (IMO) comes from the add ons, not from the ability to play a video file.

i.e. if you arent using XBMC add ons, you may as well just use a standard file browser.

the detailed library views lose their attraction after a while, especially if you arent showing them off :)

We use XBMC fairly extensively at home so I'm quite looking forward to the full release so I can use the shared DB (as it stands on my tablet I just told XBMC where the file shares were located an let it build it's own local DB).

before anyone asks the question: the advantage of a shared DB is that once you update your library on one device (e.g. your living room HTPC) any new media is available on all devices (e.g bedroom PC, and in the future Android tablet). It will also keep watched status which is useful for large media collections and can allow you to resume where you left off on a device in another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I have not tested xbmc on android, but there is "XBMC Remote" [1] for android which is really good. My setup: laptop running XBMC connected to TV and phone with "XBMC remote" over wifi.

[1] http://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=xbmc&fdid=org.xbmc.android.remote&fdpage=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

So guys, anyone know of other simple options for Android to stream from me PC to me Tab please??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are loads of apps that play stuff over the network, just make sure your pc is set to stream properly (test it from another pc). UPnp / BubblePnP are some ones that work with windows streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

madmoe wrote: »
    So guys, anyone know of other simple options for Android to stream from me PC to me Tab please??

Set up your folders on your PC to share over the network.
    Then download ES file explorer and/or video player of your choice.
    Browse LAN shares then select movie file open with movie player.
    Sit back and enjoy.

srsly78 wrote: »
    There are loads of apps that play stuff over the network, just make sure your pc is set to stream properly (test it from another pc). UPnp / BubblePnP are some ones that work with windows streaming.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is Plex any good??

Ste- wrote: »
    Set up your folders on your PC to share over the network.
    Then download ES file explorer and/or video player of your choice.
    Browse LAN shares then select movie file open with movie player.
    Sit back and enjoy.

Will give that a look mate. Have you ever used Dice Player to play form the Network? I have used it for playing locally a lot but it does not seem to be as good as it once was.

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i have my media on a server, the Asus Transform had an app that could see the server and stream over wifi... have no idea what is was called but if it rings a bell can someone let me know or point me to the apk.

cheers
    Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Will give that a look mate. Have you ever used Dice Player to play form the Network? I have used it for playing locally a lot but it does not seem to be as good as it once was.

Thanks,
    M

I use Dice and MX, not much in the difference imo just whatever takes my fancy at time of playing.

Ste- wrote: »
    I use Dice and MX, not much in the difference imo just whatever takes my fancy at time of playing.

OK, since getting the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 yesterday and trying videos on it with Dice a lot of them will not play :-( These same ones will play on my Galaxy S3 fine with Dice? Is it down to the different processors in the Tab and the phone guys??

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Thanks for the suggestions. Is Plex any good??

i have found mediahouse to be excellent, very fluid experience, particularly with tversity (which unfortunately you have to pay for now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

OK, since getting the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 yesterday and trying videos on it with Dice a lot of them will not play :-( These same ones will play on my Galaxy S3 fine with Dice? Is it down to the different processors in the Tab and the phone guys??

Thanks,
    M

Use BSPlayer. I've tried them all and this works the best on my Tab

P.S> Also you mentioned streaming. I used to use Qloud Media and found it great. But I eventually got sick of having to leave the laptop on at night in another room (Fan roaring!) with external hdd attached :)

So I just got a usb hub for the hdd's and hid them in my bedside locker. Got a very long usb lead and the usb adapter for the SGT10.1. Find it great, only thing is that you can't charge the tab and have the usb adapter attached at the same time which is a real downer!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Use BSPlayer. I've tried them all and this works the best on my Tab

P.S> Also you mentioned streaming. I used to use Qloud Media and found it great. But I eventually got sick of having to leave the laptop on at night in another room (Fan roaring!) with external hdd attached :)

So I just got a usb hub for the hdd's and hid them in my bedside locker. Got a very long usb lead and the usb adapter for the SGT10.1. Find it great, only thing is that you can't charge the tab and have the usb adapter attached at the same time which is a real downer!

Just tried Qloud, like the interface but no matter what I do it won't stop stuttering?? Gonna give Plex a go.....

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-top-free-ways-to-stream-video-from-your-computer-to-your-mobile-or-tablet/

Cheers, after being disappointed by Qloud I tried Plex and it was way way worse, it would not even load any files on my phone when I hit browse? I had it installed correct on my machine I am pretty sure? The spinning circle just stayed there all the time?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe, your questions pushed me to looking into this.

I've tried:
    xbmc
    vplayer
    moboplayer
    mxplayer
    bubbleupnp
    tversity (old free version, can be found via lots of googling)
    es file browser

best results:
    es file browser, standard windows file sharing, vplayer
    as above - mx player in S/W mode

good results
    xbmc with windows file sharing or tversity

useless results
    everything else

conclusion:
    seems to be the video player, definitely related to HW decoding while streaming

• Advertisement

it is not the format of the videos that is the issue. Its the file stream connection, the HD decoder wants file based access instead of network/http stream based access. This is why MX player switches to software decoding. The solution and one I have been hoping since we have the firmware source code is to implement a woprking A10 cifs.ko library so you can mount Windows network shares as Linux filesystems. This would fool the HW decoder into thinking Movies are from disk even though file data is transferred via the network (i.e. NFS network file system). Unix has their own NFS which is less chatty that CIFS, but since most people use Windows, CIFS is more popular for media sharing.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/26797-streaming-video-with-hardware-decode/

seems to be the explanation - HW decoding doesnt work when streaming in this manner. anyone able to provide a solution (other than software decoding?)
    personally, i dont know how to implement what is mentioned in that post, or if its been fixed since

madmoe, can you test this to confirm you have the same results

madmoe, your questions pushed me to looking into this.

I've tried:
    xbmc
    vplayer
    moboplayer
    mxplayer
    bubbleupnp
    tversity (old free version, can be found via lots of googling)
    es file browser

best results:
    es file browser, standard windows file sharing, vplayer
    as above - mx player in S/W mode

good results
    xbmc with windows file sharing or tversity

useless results
    everything else

conclusion:
    seems to be the video player, definitely related to HW decoding while streaming

Many thanks for taking the time to do that mate! I'm at the stage too where I am playing around with a good few and hopefully will find one that works well and without stutter all the time!

All the best,
    M

give mx player a go but select software mode (press the h/w icon on screen to change modes)

give mx player a go but select software mode (press the h/w icon on screen to change modes)

So software mode is best for when I am streaming and once I play local media hardware decoding\mode should be the choice?

Cheers,
    M

thats the result I've been having (backed up by my linked post above)
    unless someone else on the thread can offer extra advice.

just to add, MKV files play perfectly fine with HW mode, but are limited moreso by the wifi connection

e.g. some 1080p files are too high bitrate to stream

also, some films only have DTS audio, which doesnt seem to decode, due to a licensing issue with MX

just to add, MKV files play perfectly fine with HW mode, but are limited moreso by the wifi connection

e.g. some 1080p files are too high bitrate to stream

also, some films only have DTS audio, which doesnt seem to decode, due to a licensing issue with MX

I assume you mean HW mode in MX Player?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

What about trying SKIFTA..I use it an odd time..seems ok to me for what I require..

• Advertisement

What about trying SKIFTA..I use it an odd time..seems ok to me for what I require..

Will give that a look too dude.

Cheers,
    M

Update On Skifta:
    It won't stream MKV files for me at all :-( It streams MP4 file for a couple of seconds and then bombs out :-( I have set-up Skifta on the laptop and then the app on me GS3 and it seems to use Windows Media Player for streaming, it gives me the option to use the in built Samsung player for playback or QuickPic. I then installed MX PLayer and had slightly better play back results but still not great :-(

Looks like it's yet another no go for what I need :-(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement