Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Hill Climb Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

Went up the old N7 (nice to be able to say that, finally), toward Nenagh, and around through Newtown. About 2k after Portroe I took a left, following signs for the "Graves of the Nine Leinster Men". Also sign posted for the Millennium Cross.

Climb starts at turn off marked on Mapmyroute as Cloneybrien. And it just keeps on going, till the small car park turn off on your right, for the Millennium Cross.

Its not a hugely spectacular climb, in terms of difficulty, or slope but a solid test none the less. And you get that beautiful view from "The graves of the Nine Leinster Men" shortly after the top.

Didn't have my Forerunner today, so I haven't it timed.

Also the road back down to Ballina is pretty awful, (The Toutinna climb in reverse, most of it). Potholes, gravel, sharp bends. Its nice that it descends all the way to Ballina, but I think next time I'll drop down on to the lake road.

Doh!

You'll be wanting the link...
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/portroe/299127039243418885

148m accent

And for good measure, at the back, is this one.
    Sorry, if its already been christened.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ballina/587127045559455467

129m ascent

max slope 20%
    average slope 11.5%

I haven't attempted this one yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burgess5

I climbed Keeper Hill on Sunday, on foot. The road to the top has had a lot of work done recently. This was to facilitate an extra mast at the top. I reckon Keeper is now doable on a road bike. Okay you wouldn't bring your new €5 k carbon model and there are one or two roughish patches.

On a hybrid or MTB no problem at all apart from the 2,000 ft of climbing! Which rules me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

Great thread lads, its giving me plenty of motivation on the climbs. I did Keeperhill last weekend but took the second right turn after the car park by mistake, also had to deal with a 20knt head wind at the top with some nice cold rain added in. So went back today for another go at it, much better conditions, sun and clear skies :)
    I timed from the carpark to the second (last mast) guessing the first one is new. Managed 46:01...had that nice taste of blood in the mouth afterwards :)

Also during last week I did Ballycuggaran in Killaloe, think it could also be known as Crag woods. It’s a left turn just before the UL water sports/activity centre, see attached map image. You start from the car park and facing the mountain take the right barrier. You basically keep to the right turns which are inclined upwards. My Iphone GPS went a bit nuts on the run so can’t provide you with a proper map and google earth isn’t clear enough for that area. Had to rely on the cateye for distance and time. It’s a 7.4km climb starting from approx 100-150mtr with the highest point reaching approx 345mtr. The end is when the road runs out and you find yourself in the woods. Not as though as Keeperhill, has more flat and downhill sections during the climb which are nice for the breather. Oh yes I would only use a mountain bike for this climb similar road conditions to Keeperhill. I completed the climb in 32:04

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Distance: 8.57km
    Climbing: 495m

Best Times:

1. Mellon 46:01
    2. Inibaz 49:02

Ballycuggaran (MTB Climb)
    Distance: 7.4km
    Climbing: 245m

Best Times:

1. Mellon 32:04

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I attempted the Kilbane Pass today. What a day!! I set off from Limerick and hit the watch at the creamary and arrived at the Forest in 23:45. And headed to Killaloe and on the Limerick

It is crazy steep in places and really needed an extra ring for it as I was crawling up them. But fairly hit in at the start.

Has anyone done the climb from Killaloe to the Forest at the top of the Kilbane climb? Looks like a crazy one. Easy decending it though

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mellon

NickDrake wrote: »
    I attempted the Kilbane Pass today. What a day!! I set off from Limerick and hit the watch at the creamary and arrived at the Forest in 23:45. And headed to Killaloe and on the Limerick

It is crazy steep in places and really needed an extra ring for it as I was crawling up them. But fairly hit in at the start.

Has anyone done the climb from Killaloe to the Forest at the top of the Kilbane climb? Looks like a crazy one. Easy decending it though

Hey Nick!
    Myself and anoble66 cycled this from the Killaloe side over the weekend...almost killed the legs, really needed another cog or else i'm way too used of having a million gears on the MTB. I was running a 34-25 but have put on a 12-27 cassette for the next attempt! What were you using for that serious time?

Mellon wrote: »
    Hey Nick!
    Myself and anoble66 cycled this from the Killaloe side over the weekend...almost killed the legs, really needed another cog or else i'm way too used of having a million gears on the MTB. I was running a 34-25 but have put on a 12-27 cassette for the next attempt! What were you using for that serious time?

Hey Mellon. How long did it take from Killaloe? It looks a serious climb. Must give it a rattle

I dont know what size I was using. I just have an old Trek 1000 that I use. Saving for a Focus Cayo.

All I remember is being on the top ring and just about being able to spin the wheels . needed another gear for sure.

The Kilbane Pass
    Distance: 6.69km
    Climbing: 246m

Best Times:

1. NickDrake 23:45
    2. Inibaz 26:29
    3. Luohaoran 27:17
    4. Gers punto 49:23

Sorry about the delay in updating this,it completely slipped my mind. Great times on Keeper Hill and Kilbane lads, my times were blown to pieces! I have a lot of catching up to do.Nice time on the Kilbane pass aswell pab lowe that's pretty serious going.

Luohaoran cheers for mapping that out, I remember descending that road by chance one day and remembering how steep it was. I never got a chance to get back and climb it though, must do it some weekend.

Mellon I usually stop the watch on Keeper at the cairn just off the fireroad but the masts are pretty much the same distance so it won't make a difference, nice time, i have some good motivation to head back up that hill again now. I cycle around Ballycuggaran a lot, but mainly just the mtb trails. I must give the fireroad a go all the way to the top now.

The Step
    Distance: 2.6km
    Climbing: 280m

Best Times:

1. MCOS 12:01
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 12:11

Woodcock Hill From Cratloe
    Distance: 5.45km

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 14:19
    2. MCOS 15:40
    3. Inibaz 17:38
    4. MartyC 19:33
    5. Pab_lowe 22:01

Woodcock Hill Back Road
    Distance: 5.59km

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 20:53
    2. MartyC 22:01

Lower section of Woodcock Hill Back Road
    Distance: 2.1km
    Climbing: 151m
    Average Gradient: 7.2%
    Maximum Gradient: 10%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 06:45
    2. Inibaz 08:58

Woodcock Hill From Meelick

Distance: 5.9km
    Climbing: 261m
    Average Gradient: 4.4%
    Maximum Gradient: 7%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 16:38
    2. Inibaz 19:45

Gallows Hill 20%
    Distance: 1.05km
    Climbing: 135m
    Average Gradient: 13%
    Maximum Gradient: 20%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 05:10
    2. Inibaz 06:57

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

4. Pab_lowe 28:40
    5. Gers punto 49:23

Tountinna
    Distance: 6.9km
    Climbing: 405m

Best Times:

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Best Times:

1. Mellon 46:01
    2. Inibaz 49:02

Shalee Climb (Silvermines, Tipperary)
    Distance: 3.00km
    Climbing: 153m

Best Times:

1. MCOS 08:22
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 09:13
    3. Pab lowe 12:50

Chapel Hill (Birdhill)
    Distance: 270m
    Climbing: 33m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 45 seconds

Best Times:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

so i have now moved house and this trail is literally 2 minutes from my door. Loaded up the bike yesterday and went for it... Beaing in mind im not exactly fit or light and made a loada stops im happy with my time

Best Times:

2. Gers_punto 55.21

Must have gotten back down i about 11 second tho haha

Also off topic the ul montain biking club have mad a full loop here including rock gardens and some really intense climbs.... Map can be gotten on request

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cornishpasty

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

Really glad to see the Kilbane Pass on this list. I've been including it on at 54km Sunday roundtrip from Ardnacrusha, Bridgetown, Kilbane pass, Broadford, Sixmilebridge, Ardnacrusha. I found the Kilbane Pass by accident and thought it added a bit of spice to the route so I'm delighted it is acknowledged as a good challenge.

On my Sunday roundtrip today, I timed the leg from Bridgetown Creamery to summit of Kilbane Pass and did it in 23:35 (double checked that on the Forerunner) I thought I was a slow rider compared to proper roadies so am happy with that time.

I'm a bit of a newbie having only a cyclocross (Tricross Sport) so it's probably cheating having a third front (granny) ring - would you agree?

Finally, has anyone else encountered the border collie half way up the first steep hill (well before the main hill of the Kilbane Pass). I actually have to stop when he comes out which kills the time a little. Dogs never used to bother me until one nipped my rear wheel and wrecked the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Yes! met that dog on my last trip up there. He gave me a nip on the leg, little Baxtard!! I like dogs and I have one but I can happily say, on behalf of cyclist everywhere, on a cycle yesterday I connected solidly to the head of a (different) dog with my foot, who was chasing me enthusiastically up a hill. A guilty pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Have been measuring my overall cycling improvement on Woodcock hill. Have reduced my time steadily to the point where last night I hit 18.41 down from originally 22.01, 21.x, 20.x to 20.00 to the new time

Best Times:

4. Pab_lowe 18.41
    5. MartyC 19:33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stl

hi guys/gals limerick tri are running a hill climb series on gallows from 3 different sides. it should be interesting to see & should be some fast times.check out [url]www.limericktriathlon.com:[/url])

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Second attempt at the Step
    This time managed to make it the whole way. (got off 200 metres short the last time)

18:48

Actually found my arms getting very tired by the end.
    I'd say if I really went for it, I'd probably knock about another 5 seconds off that time. :(

I think my EPO supplier is diddling me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stl

heya

ya there were 23 brave souls who did it, all ranges of abilities, the winner was young steven clancy of limerick cc. in a time of 13.50.:eek:

the start was just after you turn up off the road, there is a stone wall there on the left hand side, right the way up to just after the turn off to the golf ball.the finish line is mark on the road if anyone wants a try.

the sixmilebridge side this week...

all the results are on limerick tri website :)

I'd like to propose a modified route for Tountinna.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ballina%2c%20co%20tipperary/452128255012076474

Reasons being that the existing route , straight up from Ballina is a bit too lengthy, and the road surface is very poor. There are too many sections where you are controlling your decent rather than testing your climbing capability.

This new route jumps straight up from the lake side, with a really tough 1.3k.
    The mid section is 1.5k which just gets you across to the foot of Tountinna. And then Tountinna herself 2.2k.

Kudos to the first time posted for this route. :cool:

Kilbane Pass last week. New and faster time of 23:25!!

• Advertisement

Tountinna
    Average Gradient: 6%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 29 minutes (approx +/- 1 min because I was going so slow the Polar computer thought I was stopped and automatically paused :P )

Looking forward to trying out this route of the climb, wont be any time soon judging by the snow storm that has just settled in!
    luohaoran wrote: »

I also did the Graves of Leinster Men climb (Millenium cross) yesterday from the Ballina side:

[URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/183126/142398.jpg[/URL]
    Distance: 6.36km
    Climbing: 250m
    Average Gradient: 3.9%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 30 minutes (approx +/- 1 min for same reason as above).

Some photos below, times to be improved now that I have some experience and when I choose more suitable gearing than a 39/23 :eek: ouch!! :p

Started doing some Chapel Hill / Birdhill, loop repetitions. (Coming back from a long spell off the bike)

Just for the Chapel Hill part, 1:30.

Hoping to knock that down fairly quick though. Stay tuned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Summer rolls around and thoughts turn to cycling, was back up the easy/village side of Cratloe for the first time since 2009 during the week, don't remember have to stop and lie down at the top before, might be time to up the training!

I think it's about time I updated this! I had a poor end to 2010 fitness wise with a lot of time off the bike so I didn't do much hill climbing. I'm back training hard again for the XC racing season though. So I'll have some personal best times to post over the next few months all going well!

I did the Kilbane Pass route again from Bridgetown, this time on a hybrid. Only on the hybrid did I realise the first section is a bit dodgy when you're trying to sprint around blind corners. I've started taking times from the base of the pass now instead, this way I can time myself whether I'm coming from Bridgetown or Killaloe. Also that pesky dog can be avoided that way. The climb starts at the "East Clare Way" post at the crossroads where the Bridgetown and Killaloe roads meet and ends at the crest of the hill (1.11km later) just 2-3 metres in front of the gateway on the right.

I also retried Keeper Hill there 2 weeks ago and knocked another 4 minutes off which I wasn't expecting to do :D

I must try out those new Tountinna routes aswell, they look pretty interesting.

Anyway it's good to see there's still some activity up the hills around Limerick, hopefully we'll see some new personal bests with the great weather we've been having.

Updated times below:

The Step
    Distance: 2.6km
    Climbing: 280m

Best Times:

1. MCOS 12:01
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 12:11
    3. Luohaoran 18:48

Best Times:

4. Pab_lowe 18:41
    5. MartyC 19:33

Woodcock Hill Back Road

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 20:53
    2. MartyC 22:01

Lower section of Woodcock Hill Back Road
    Distance: 2.1km
    Climbing: 151m
    Average Gradient: 7.2%
    Maximum Gradient: 10%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 06:45
    2. Inibaz 08:58

Woodcock Hill From Meelick

Distance: 5.9km
    Climbing: 261m
    Average Gradient: 4.4%
    Maximum Gradient: 7%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 16:38
    2. Inibaz 19:45

Gallows Hill 20%
    Distance: 1.05km
    Climbing: 135m
    Average Gradient: 13%
    Maximum Gradient: 20%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 05:10
    2. Inibaz 06:57

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

1. NickDrake 23:25

The Kilbane Pass(Short)
    Distance: 1.11km
    Climbing: 105m

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 6:58

Tountinna

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 29 minutes ( +/- 1 min)

Graves of Leinster Men
    Distance: 6.36km
    Climbing: 250m
    Average Gradient: 3.9%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 30 minutes ( +/- 1 min)

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 44:58
    2. Mellon 46:01

Shalee Climb (Silvermines, Tipperary)
    Distance: 3.00km
    Climbing: 153m

Best Times:

1. MCOS 08:22
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 09:13
    3. Pab lowe 12:50

Chapel Hill (Birdhill)
    Distance: 270m
    Climbing: 33m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 45 seconds
    2. Luohaoran 1:30

Best Times:

2. Gers_punto 55.21

Did a bit of an epic solo spin this evening, 4hrs 20mins with 1169m of climbing, that includes 4 times up woodcock hill, a different way each time.

I was riding tempo pace up them all and naturally was getting tired towards the end so none of these are record attempts!

Still, I managed to get a time for the Woodcock hill back road climb and also a climb of Woodcock that we have not included, from the north Sixmilebridge side.

Woodcock Hill Back Road

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 15:55
    2. Inibaz 20:53
    3. MartyC 22:01

Gallows hill from Sixmilebridge north side
    Distance: 4.4km
    Climbing: 169m
    Average Gradient: 3.8%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 12:29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭pprendeville

tired. hmmmph. you didn't seem tired when i went up it with you although after 4 attempts it might be a little different. how did you get on in the national champs TT or did you do it?

No TT for me this year just the RR, led in the main bunch of they day, happy just to finish but I played it way too safe because I saw 175km and 50km/h on the first lap, sorry I didn't make one of the chase groups to try and get further up in the U23 category but a good experience all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Did a bit of an epic solo spin this evening, 4hrs 20mins with 1169m of climbing....

Woodcock Hill Back Road

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 15:55
    2. Inibaz 20:53
    3. MartyC 22:01

Gallows hill from Sixmilebridge north side
    Distance: 4.4km
    Climbing: 169m
    Average Gradient: 3.8%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 12:29

You guys should upload your rides to Strava (if u have garmins, androids or iphones), its great for detecting these climbs, comparing against others, your own personal bests and also allows you to publish your own climbs. As you can guess after a few weeks of using it Im hooked.

luohaoran wrote: »
    I'd like to propose a modified route for Tountinna.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/ballina%2c%20co%20tipperary/452128255012076474

Reasons being that the existing route , straight up from Ballina is a bit too lengthy, and the road surface is very poor. There are too many sections where you are controlling your decent rather than testing your climbing capability.

This new route jumps straight up from the lake side, with a really tough 1.3k.
    The mid section is 1.5k which just gets you across to the foot of Tountinna. And then Tountinna herself 2.2k.

Kudos to the first time posted for this route. :cool:

Right I did it :) Been doing lots of 3-4 hour spins these days including lots of climbs, because I'm including plenty of big climbs none of the times are going to be my fastest but this is the first time I've done this climbs so will post up the time. (Also, my computer says its 4.7km but don't know how accurate that is because I was going so slow at times it may have thought I was stopped :p If it is correct, the average gradient goes up to 7.4% )

Tountinna (modified)
    Distance: 5km
    Altitude Gain: 347m
    Average Gradient: 7%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 22:19

The average gradient of the first 1.1km is 11%, the average for the last 2km of Tountinna itself is about 8-9%, its the middle section with the ups and downs that kills this climb and brings down the average gradient to 7%...still 7% for 5km is tough!! Remind me to buy a compact crankset or something, 39/25 just hurts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Love this thread! Will have to get some of those hills in next time I'm in lovely Limerick :)

Here are some fab hills in West Limerick - the loop starts and ends in Newcastlewest, but the best of the hills are between Tournafulla and Mountcollins - don't know what the names are, or what time I did on it (just did one big loop), but it's FANTASTIC training :)

Here's the map: Etape de Tournafulla
    http://classic.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/-newcastlewest%2c-limerick/634131038954479073

Advertisement