Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Hill Climb Challenge

Options

Comments

I've been settling back into college for the last week so I haven't got a chance to get out much.I'll try and get out a bit this week,maybe trying the routes around Killaloe.Good to hear you did well in the championships by the way,I'll probably try it next year if I can work up the fitness for it.

Ok,I've been climbing a fair bit over the last few weeks and managed to bring down a few of the times,got the Cratloe climb down from 19:16 to 17:38,the Meelick climb down from 21:27 to 21:12 and the 20% one down from 7:47 to 6:57.I also tried Keeper again and shaved 8 minutes off my last time back in April!It's great to see it eventually paying off :) Anyone else been trying them lately?

The Step
    Distance: 2.6km
    Climbing: 280m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 12:11
    2. MCOS 14:58

Woodcock Hill From Cratloe
    Distance: 5.45km
    Climbing: 246m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 14:19
    2. MCOS 16:37
    2. Inibaz 17:38
    3. MartyC 19:33

Woodcock Hill Back Road
    Distance: 5.59km

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 20:53
    2. MartyC 22:01

Lower section of Woodcock Hill Back Road

Distance: 2.1km
    Climbing: 151m
    Average Gradient: 7.2%
    Maximum Gradient: 10%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 06:45
    2. Inibaz 10:46

Woodcock Hill From Meelick
    Distance: 5.9km
    Climbing: 261m
    Average Gradient: 4.4%
    Maximum Gradient: 7%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 16:38
    2. Inibaz 21:12

Gallows Hill 20%
    Distance: 1.05km
    Climbing: 135m
    Average Gradient: 13%
    Maximum Gradient: 20%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 05:10
    2. Inibaz 06:57

The Kilbane Pass
    Distance: 6.69km

Best Times: :(

Tountinna
    Distance: 6.9km
    Climbing: 405m

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Distance: 8.57km
    Climbing: 495m

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 49:02

Shalee Climb (Silvermines, Tipperary)

Distance: 3.00km
    Climbing: 153m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 09:13

Chapel Hill (Birdhill)
    Distance: 270m
    Climbing: 33m

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura: 45 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Hey guys, not much activity on this thread recently. I went out on a "Winter Training Spin" today with a couple of lads from the club today, this meant keeping the heart rate around 150-160bpm so no record breaking for me today (I will post up my time when I get my computer back, and when I can confirm where I should have started timing it from). We actually took out the mountain bikes and did the Keeper hill.

Wow, that is one serious mountain I had never really noticed before. And what a day we chose to do it, probably the coldest day this winter and not helped by the sharp northerly winds. It started out bitterly cold at ground level, and gradually got colder and colder as we climbed. About half way up (around 300-400m) snow started falling. As we continued to ascend it got worse and worse and actually turned into a snow blizzard...I'm not joking, half the lads just couldn't hack it and turned around! It was scary stuff, ice and snow covering a continuous rock garden. Visibility was about 20 meters max...and wind speed was something ridiculous, 30km/h on the ground so around 50-60km/h up there if not more.

Actually one of the lads had a thermometer on the computer which was around 4 degrees starting off. If gradually fell towards zero and ended up at -5 degrees. And that is air temperature, Accuweaher is showing RealFeel® as being another 8 degrees lower than that again because of the wind chill factor. I was very thankful for my Giordana winter jacket and the newspapers which we shoved down our tops. The descent is what you would call scary alright).

However, if it sounds like I am complaining about it you are wrong! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would actually consider it one of my favourite days out on the bike ever. Seriously good fun despite the frostbite! :D

So, where does the actual Keeper hill climb start from? I attached the map below, I would presume it is at marker A, the entrance and car park is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭luohaoran

1st attempt on the Step.
    Three of us set out from Castleconnell, yesterday morning at dawn. Weather very much the opposite of what we'd expected. Was supposed to be a gentle northeasterly with sunny spells. Instead it was very cold rain and steady northerly wind.
    None of us had attempted this climb before so we really didn't know what to expect.
    Cycling up through the cloud and wind and rain/sleet. None of us made it up without stopping, alas. Though had I known I only had 200 meters to go, I reckon I might have made it.
    Can't give an accurate time. Somewhere between 20 and 25 mins.

The decent was absolutely lethal. No grip, back wheel sliding out, how we made it down without a crash I don't know.

I do have one question for this forum though;
    Has anyone made it up the Step from the back?
    Mapmyride gives it at 20% in two places. It has a very narrow rideable section (due to grass in the centre) and yesterday with the wet dirty surface , I reckon that climb would've been impossible.
    C'mon Home:Ballyhoura, take up that gauntlet!! (road bike of course)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey guys, not much activity on this thread recently. I went out on a "Winter Training Spin" today with a couple of lads from the club today, this meant keeping the heart rate around 150-160bpm so no record breaking for me today (I will post up my time when I get my computer back, and when I can confirm where I should have started timing it from). We actually took out the mountain bikes and did the Keeper hill.

Wow, that is one serious mountain I had never really noticed before. And what a day we chose to do it, probably the coldest day this winter and not helped by the sharp northerly winds. It started out bitterly cold at ground level, and gradually got colder and colder as we climbed. About half way up (around 300-400m) snow started falling. As we continued to ascend it got worse and worse and actually turned into a snow blizzard...I'm not joking, half the lads just couldn't hack it and turned around! It was scary stuff, ice and snow covering a continuous rock garden. Visibility was about 20 meters max...and wind speed was something ridiculous, 30km/h on the ground so around 50-60km/h up there if not more.

Actually one of the lads had a thermometer on the computer which was around 4 degrees starting off. If gradually fell towards zero and ended up at -5 degrees. And that is air temperature, Accuweaher is showing RealFeel® as being another 8 degrees lower than that again because of the wind chill factor. I was very thankful for my Giordana winter jacket and the newspapers which we shoved down our tops. The descent is what you would call scary alright).

However, if it sounds like I am complaining about it you are wrong! I thoroughly enjoyed it and would actually consider it one of my favourite days out on the bike ever. Seriously good fun despite the frostbite! :D

So, where does the actual Keeper hill climb start from? I attached the map below, I would presume it is at marker A, the entrance and car park is it?

Its a lovely climb up alright. Been up it a couple of times although I haven't timed myself. Pretty cool when you get above a low lying fog and then descend into it :D Just looked at training notes there Ballyhoura and a few times to post for ya from September

The step 12:01 nearly had a heart attack! :eek:
    Woodcock from Cratloe 15:40 was going well but chain was skipping :rolleyes:
    Shalee: 8:22 ;) Flat out and toasted by the top

BTW you can get up the back side of the step witha MTB although its hard work, can't imagine it would be much fun on a road bike. Kudos to anyone getting up it on a 53/39 !!

Alas I'm moving back into Limerick soon so this won't be a local playground anymore. I'll defintely be back out to the silvermines in the spring/summer though. Keeper is a bit cold and treacherous so I'll have to make do with running up and down it if I can this month

luohaoran wrote: »
    1st attempt on the Step.
    Three of us set out from Castleconnell, yesterday morning at dawn. Weather very much the opposite of what we'd expected. Was supposed to be a gentle northeasterly with sunny spells. Instead it was very cold rain and steady northerly wind.
    None of us had attempted this climb before so we really didn't know what to expect.
    Cycling up through the cloud and wind and rain/sleet. None of us made it up without stopping, alas. Though had I known I only had 200 meters to go, I reckon I might have made it.
    Can't give an accurate time. Somewhere between 20 and 25 mins.

The decent was absolutely lethal. No grip, back wheel sliding out, how we made it down without a crash I don't know.

I do have one question for this forum though;
    Has anyone made it up the Step from the back?
    Mapmyride gives it at 20% in two places. It has a very narrow rideable section (due to grass in the centre) and yesterday with the wet dirty surface , I reckon that climb would've been impossible.
    C'mon Home:Ballyhoura, take up that gauntlet!! (road bike of course)

Fair play for decending it on roadbikes this weekend.. your heart must have been in your mouth :eek:

@MCOS
    Ignorance is "bliss", or "near death" in this case.

MCOS wrote: »
    Its a lovely climb up alright. Been up it a couple of times although I haven't timed myself. Pretty cool when you get above a low lying fog and then descend into it :D Just looked at training notes there Ballyhoura and a few times to post for ya from September

BTW you can get up the back side of the step witha MTB although its hard work, can't imagine it would be much fun on a road bike. Kudos to anyone getting up it on a 53/39 !!

Alas I'm moving back into Limerick soon so this won't be a local playground anymore. I'll defintely be back out to the silvermines in the spring/summer though. Keeper is a bit cold and treacherous so I'll have to make do with running up and down it if I can this month

Thats an awesome time for the Step.
    Obviously three shredded wheat for breakfast.

Those are really great times MCOS, well done...we should get the times sheet updated soon to include them.

My venture up Keeper has left me with severely wind blasted cheeks today, but it was definitely well worth it. My computer had 10.5km on the clock which took me 1hr 4mins (kept it at an average of 155BPM because of it being a low intensity winter spin. As a result I could have gone much quicker had I been going for it!) If I was to keep that same average speed of 9.8km/h for the same distance as Inibaz has measured (8.57km) it would have taken me around 52mins but I could easily bring this down to around 40mins if I was going for it (at least I hope I could anyway!). As I said already, where would ye consider the "start" of the Keeper hill climb from the map above?

It great to see a bit of interest and activity in this thread again, improvements all around are clear to see! Well done guys, that was the main aim of setting this up so I think it would be safe to say it has been a success this far! :D
    can't imagine it would be much fun on a road bike. Kudos to anyone getting up it on a 53/39 !

The most important thing is the number of teeth on the inner chainring up front and the largest sprocket on the rear cassette...giving you the easiest gear ratio. My set up is currently 39/25 which is still a bit severe for those really steep climbs like the "Step" or the "Wall".

• Advertisement

Good to see the thread is still going :D Fair play for doing Keeper in that weather.Looking back at my mapped route of Keeper it's fairly poor so I'd probably best describe the route...

Anyway the route starts at the carpark(A in your image.) Going up the road from the carpark you take the first right and follow that fireroad all the way to C (going nowhere near B!) You take the turnoff at C and follow that fireroad until you see the narrow rocky track on your left which leads to the mast.I usually stop the time at the cairn beside the summit post.But it's not going to make much of a difference if you time it til the top of the fireroad.Map my ride said the route was 8.57km but that was just guesswork,I think MCOS said he had measured it before and it was 7km.I'm guessing you went a different way since it was 10.5km?

Great times MCOS,will update the times in a minute and well done for giving the Step a go luohaoran,I still haven't got around to attempting it :(

Oh and by the way I did the Kilbane one recently...one thing to watch out for if you do try it.Just after the first T-junction there's a nasty dog that always seems to be out,he will attempt to bite your ankles! I've had a few close calls with the little bastard already :P Anyway it took me a whole 26:29 to do it,my excuse is I was on an mtb ;) Did the Meelick climb aswell a few times and eventually brought the time down thanks to a generous wind.

The Step

Best Times:

1. MCOS 12:01
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 12:11

Best Times:

2. MCOS 15:40
    3. Inibaz 17:38
    3. MartyC 19:33

Woodcock Hill Back Road

Best Times:

Best Times:

2. Inibaz 10:46

Best Times:

2. Inibaz 19:45

Gallows Hill 20%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 05:10

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

1. Inibaz 26:29

Tountinna

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Best Times:

Best Times:

1. MCOS 08:22
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 09:13

Chapel Hill (Birdhill)

Best Times:

The most important thing is the number of teeth on the inner chainring up front and the largest sprocket on the rear cassette...giving you the easiest gear ratio. My set up is currently 39/25 which is still a bit severe for those really steep climbs like the "Step" or the "Wall".

I have a compact so it was 34/28 for me :D For some reason they put a 28 sprocket on the sram cassette on the Giant SCR1 :confused: I didn't know that at the time as I was a complete NoOB, anyway I was glad for it on the step!

Lads I know for a fact that if you go from the carpark to the top and back its 14km!!

I can't make out on the map ye linked to but there is just one road leading into the mountain from Killoscully. You drive up about 150m and park before the barrier. From that barrier to the end of the fireroad is 5km. Then you have a sharp left turn onto a steeper section of mud and loose stones for the next 2km to the Mast.

The way I see it you could start timimg at the signpost on the Kiloscully road and go to the top and back but that would be 16+ km and you have to get over a barrier

or

Start from the barrier and do the fireroad only 5k up n down =10km

or

Start from the barrier and go to the top and back = 14km

Well the lads I did it with anyway have done it a few times and decided to go up by B this time just to see what it was like. That may account for some of the variances, but the rest is definitely down to me starting and stopping the computer in the wrong places. I took a screen grab of the official route map, put it into Photoshop and placed it as a low opacity overlay on a MapMyRide map and traced the exact route. When I copy this out into MapMyRide it is coming out in the region of 8.6km! At least now I know where to start and stop it for next time, you can leave my previous time out of the time sheet as it is not accurate. Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Firstly, great thread, particularly cos I'm from the area. Got a road bike last sept and have been enjoying it since. Recently I've started looking towards climbs as a challenge and as it happened I was with a group who tackled /Shalee on Patricks day. I was feeling quite good about myself though when I compare it to the two other times already there, I have quite a bit of work to do. Certainly it was a bit disconcerting when the rear wheel started to spin. Am planning on Corkscrew hill this weekend.
    I noticed others mentioning the Kilbane pass and I will certainly put that in my calander. However, has anyone done the gap road in either direction. You can either go from the hamlet of Kilbane or head out from Killaloe past the hurling field and turn right for Garraunboy church. This route is perpindicular to the kilbane pass route

Best Times:

3. pab_lowe 12:50

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Seeing as you pass literally right past my house i said id try it today being a total noob and also extremly unfit i dont think i done too badly

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

2. Gers_punto 49:23

Good stuff Gers Punto. I've parked opposite the creamery on a couple of occasions for cycles that took me towards Killaloe and to be honest, I didn't really think about where that road (Kilbane Pass) went until I saw the maps on this thread. I'm keen to give it a try. Do you know the gap road from Kilbane?

Went over Kilbane pass a few weeks ago.
    I found it tough going I have to say. Felt almost as bad as the Step.

Passed a freshly skinned donkey head just before the top. Good for motivation.
    Heart rate peaked at 175. Time , according to my Garmin was 27m17.

Would not recommend doing the route in reverse, looks a lot harder. Straight and steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Passed a freshly skinned donkey head just before the top.

Er, literally?

Passed a freshly skinned donkey head just before the top. Good for motivation.

How fresh?

• Advertisement

pab_lowe wrote: »
    How fresh?

most of the flesh was intact, I think the eyeballs were still there, no sign of the rest of the body.
    But to bring this back on topic, it distracted me from my pain for a few seconds.
    Its an ill wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

most of the flesh was intact, I think the eyeballs were still there, no sign of the rest of the body.
    But to bring this back on topic, it distracted me from my pain for a few seconds.
    Its an ill wind...

ISTR that there was a rotting badger on our Three Rock TT last year. The challenge with hillclimb roadkill is working out whether it's better to hold your breath and risk passing out or continue breathing and risk premature vomiting.

I think though it would be a help if we put up a few crosses near the tops of some of these climbs, maybe with little wrought iron bicycles on them, and a few sombre words about "here lays such and such, and with his last gasp...etc."
    That would keep us all going when we need it most.

Well done for giving Kilbane a go lads,it's an absolutely desperate climb,I must head out there again to see this donkey's head! I'll update the times there in a minute.

Pab lowe, I must have a look for the road you're talking about.There's a nice off road climb (and descent) up into Ballycuggaran woods out past Garraunboy if you go straight on instead of turning left up the Kilbane pass.But there is a road descent to Killaloe around there too,is this the one? Hill Rd in this map?
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.806134,-8.477755&spn=0.025839,0.109863&z=14

As for me I've been trying a couple of the Cratloe climbs lately but the winter hit me hard,I'm well off my old times at the moment,got the lower woodcock hill climb in under 10 minutes but that's about it! Hopefully the fitness will pick up soon enough.

The Step

Best Times:

1. MCOS 12:01
    2. Home:Ballyhoura 12:11

Best Times:

4. MartyC 19:33

Woodcock Hill Back Road

Best Times:

Best Times:

2. Inibaz 09:56

Best Times:

2. Inibaz 19:45

Gallows Hill 20%

Best Times:

1. Home:Ballyhoura 05:10

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

2. Luohaoran 27:17
    3. Gers punto 49:23

Tountinna

Keeper Hill (MTB Climb)

Best Times:

Best Times:

3. Pab lowe 12:50

Chapel Hill (Birdhill)

Best Times:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

anyone have any idea what the steepest gradient is when going up the kilbane pass? I tried it a few days ago and it was tough going for me, but I am still rubbish at climbing. I was travelling from the Garrenboy direction out to Kilbane.

According to mapmyride after the crossroads the gradient reaches 19% at 2 different times.In between it's mostly 13-14% before it "levels out" to about 7% at the top! It's a pretty nasty climb alright.

well thank christ the gradient was that high in places because it was just nasty....even the smallest bit of gravel meant rear wheel spinning.

Great spin last Sunday, weather was beautiful once the fog cleared. Had been up wood cock hill so many times but not on my road bike. Found it fine as it was at the start of my route but the kilbane pass coupled with being damn tough was also at the end of my spin. Got knocked off my bike by a couple of dogs, in fact I couldn;t believe the amount of dogs on the route today, My times for wood cock and kilbane pass are below. The kilbane pass is insane. no donkey head there on this spin!!! The descent to kilbane is also pretty mad and worth an trip upwards at some stage.

Last week I attempted to do corkscrew hill near ballyvaughan. On the saturday I set out a route and stupidly found myself descending corkscrew hill......ok so now I've educated myself on how to read a map.

Inibaz. I realise now the Gap road is signposted from Kilbane up to the top of the Kilbane pass. The day I drove it I went from Killaloe via Garraunboy over the Kilbane pass. The road from Bridgetown makes a T-Junction with this Gap road. The road out of Killaloe is tough looking and I'm sure would make a very interesting ride all the way to the top of the Kilbane pass

Best Times:

4. MartyC 19:33
    5. pab_lowe 22.01

The Kilbane Pass

Best Times:

2. Luohaoran 27:17
    3. pab_lowe 28.40
    3. Gers punto 49:23

Best Times:

3. Pab lowe 12:50

• Advertisement

think thats the way I went, from Ballina across the bridge to Killaloe, up the hill past Supervalue, take a right follow the road to Garrenbouy, then on up towards Kilbane - was tired before I even got to the Kilbane hills :) Ended up on the Broadford road so cycled back towards obriens bridge and then back to Ballina.....nice spin but I am not sure I would repeat it too often :pac:

pab_lowe wrote: »
    Great spin last Sunday, weather was beautiful once the fog cleared. Had been up wood cock hill so many times but not on my road bike. Found it fine as it was at the start of my route but the kilbane pass coupled with being damn tough was also at the end of my spin. Got knocked off my bike by a couple of dogs, in fact I couldn;t believe the amount of dogs on the route today, My times for wood cock and kilbane pass are below. The kilbane pass is insane. no donkey head there on this spin!!! The descent to kilbane is also pretty mad and worth an trip upwards at some stage.

Last week I attempted to do corkscrew hill near ballyvaughan. On the saturday I set out a route and stupidly found myself descending corkscrew hill......ok so now I've educated myself on how to read a map.

Inibaz. I realise now the Gap road is signposted from Kilbane up to the top of the Kilbane pass. The day I drove it I went from Killaloe via Garraunboy over the Kilbane pass. The road from Bridgetown makes a T-Junction with this Gap road. The road out of Killaloe is tough looking and I'm sure would make a very interesting ride all the way to the top of the Kilbane pass

Advertisement