Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

lorimc wrote: »
    I went to buy the game today but they have suspended the digital downloads on the site. I went looking for a disc copy around Blanch but it seems to be unavailable in store too. Has anyone seen it in the city centre or know when it can be got for digital downloads again.

Had the same problem mate. Gamestop in blanch only had the collectors edition left but they rang the charlestown store for me and luckly enough they had some not sure if I got the last copy so maybe give there a go or ring them? this was friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Ahh the things you can do in this game... Like an epic gladiator fight between daisy the cow and a worm!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im half thinking of getting this but a few things worry me. Iv never really got the appeal of mmo's but iv never played on so its probably unfair to judge it (even thou the mechanics of mmo's aren't really appealing).

Is 3mb broadband good enough?
    Do you have to join a group or is there a single player with the mmo ?
    Any videos showing the ins and out of game?

I cant think of any other questions but any other advice would be very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Guild wars is very different to any MMO out there.

The combat is very different. In nearly every other MMO, everything is done under the hood. Dice rolls and numbers. While guild wars 2 has that, you can dodge. Warrior charging you? Roll out of the way. A guy shooting an arrow at you? Hide behind a tree. In other MMO's you would still be hit so dodging this viscerally is very enjoyable.

The questing is different. In others, you go talk to an NPC and he will give you a task like kill 5 these or collect 10 of that. In guild wars, you wander into an area and just start doing the objective.

Grouping is different as it happens organically with group quests where people in the same area fight for the same goal.

Leveling is different. Everything gives experience. Killing, questing, crafting, exploring, Player vs Player combat, etc. Also, it automatically scales your level to suit the content. Missed a newbie area and want to do it? No problem, your level 80 character gets scaled down to level 10 for that area. It also means two friends can group together even if they are vastly different levels and still have fun.

The player vs player combat is a more refined version of Warhammers. You take part in massive fort attacks against players from other servers. It's very grand in scale. And again, it auto levels you to 80 so you can join in the fun right from the start and not feel gimped.

There is no subscription so I would recommend you try it. There isn't much risk. It has its flaws but it's the freshest MMO I've played in a while.

Mobile broadband is rubbish in general so I hope you are on a fixed line. MMO's arent exactly twitch games though so you should be okay aslong as your ping is under 200. Eircom 3mb is more than enough.

Regards the in's and outs, you will pick it up very quickly. If you roll a character on Gunnars hold server, I'd be more than glad to come help you at the start and show you some things. :)

Sorry that is eircom 3mb broadband

That is great helpful post Kirby, thanks alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No problem. You might have trouble buying it on the main website as I think they have halted sales temporarily there due to the shere amount of people who have bought it. I'm sure other websites will sell it though.

As for your starting character, I would recommend avoiding the small Asura guys. Their starting area is bat**** crazy and you will be confused enough as it is. :p

Human might be the boring choice, but its the least alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Headshot wrote: »
    Im half thinking of getting this but a few things worry me. Iv never really got the appeal of mmo's but iv never played on so its probably unfair to judge it (even thou the mechanics of mmo's aren't really appealing).

Is 3mb broadband good enough?
    Do you have to join a group or is there a single player with the mmo ?
    Any videos showing the ins and out of game?

I cant think of any other questions but any other advice would be very much appreciated

Pretty much just backing up what Kirby said, you could play this entire game by yourself and never so much as speak to another person, but group ups will happen naturally as you're travelling through a map and take part in events (which are in essence quests).

I haven't read through this, or seen the video, but the makers of the game made an online manual for new players, link here.

This page will also give you an overview of the game.

As far as internet speed goes, I can't really say as my internet speed alters a good bit, but the requirements for the game merely list broadband as a requirement. Bare in mind that if you're planning on buying a digital copy, the file size will be about 16 gigabytes, so if you're worried about your download speed I'd pick up a hard copy. Also currently, digital sales of the game from the Guild Wars 2 site have been suspended.

In terms of the mechanics of MMO's not appealing to you, what specifically about them doesn't? This game, while an MMO, does do a few things differently to the more "traditional" MMO.

delta36 wrote: »
    Pretty much just backing up what Kirby said, you could play this entire game by yourself and never so much as speak to another person, but group ups will happen naturally as you're travelling through a map and take part in events (which are in essence quests).

I haven't read through this, or seen the video, but the makers of the game made an online manual for new players, link here.

This page will also give you an overview of the game.

As far as internet speed goes, I can't really say as my internet speed alters a good bit, but the requirements for the game merely list broadband as a requirement. Bare in mind that if you're planning on buying a digital copy, the file size will be about 16 gigabytes, so if you're worried about your download speed I'd pick up a hard copy. Also currently, digital sales of the game from the Guild Wars 2 site have been suspended.

In terms of the mechanics of MMO's not appealing to you, what specifically about them doesn't? This game, while an MMO, does do a few things differently to the more "traditional" MMO.

That video was superb help, I really like the combat system

Im not really a social player and I thought mmo's are very much a social community game, hence didnt think it would appeal to me

Headshot wrote: »
    That video was superb help, I really like the combat system

Im not really a social player and I thought mmo's are very much a social community game, hence didnt think it would appeal to me

When you say not a social player, do you mean you don't like having to try and find someone to team up with to play? Or do you just dislike other real people being in your game? As I said above, you can play through this game without every being sociable, but you will end up playing with people, it's the way the game is designed.
    And just to point out, there are dungeons in the game which are designed to be tackled by groups of 5 players, but they are completely optional, and won't prevent you completing your story.

When you say not a social player, do you mean you don't like having to try and find someone to team up with to play? Or do you just dislike other real people being in your game? As I said above, you can play through this game without every being sociable, but you will end up playing with people, it's the way the game is designed.
    And just to point out, there are dungeons in the game which are designed to be tackled by groups of 5 players, but they are completely optional, and won't prevent you completing your story.

bit of both, but I dont mind teaming up with players for taking down a boss or somthing. (even thou I rather take it down by myself, more of a challenge)

Maybe my opinions will change after a period of time playing the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Ive been noticing ive got a 100+ ping all day, I wish i had confirmation servers were in frankfurt lol. The US server time still makes me wonder

So its the same map in all the servers, that right?

Are they UK servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Ive been noticing ive got a 100+ ping all day, I wish i had confirmation servers were in frankfurt lol. The US server time still makes me wonder

Stupid question, but where do you see your ping?. I haven't spotted it yet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Hey guys

I'm wondering what are the requirements for a game to have it's on Sub forum.

Most of the threads of the Massively forum seem to all be about Guild Wars 2 and I was wondering has any taught been given to a dedicated sub forum for the game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We actually requested it already. Just waiting to see if it gets approved or not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056734636&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kiith wrote: »
    We actually requested it already. Just waiting to see if it gets approved or not.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056734636&page=2

Get on this guys and +1 it. It needs a sub-forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Well, I have been playing this game pretty solidly for two weeks now, I haven't touched another game. I am a human engineer at level 39 at the moment. For the most part I have concentrated on just doing the daily achievements and have partied a few times with some of the guild. Done a little exploring and a little crafting. Basically tried to get out there and experience everything the game has to offer.

People seem to be in an awful rush to get to level 80. I don't understand that in this game. Over on another forum I see people giving out advise on how to get to level 80 the quickest, showing runs that will get you huge XP that you can do 2 or 3 times an hour. LOL I mean, come on!! that's boring grinding, and for what? so you can get to level 80 fastest and when you get there to find out that you are bored. I am not taking a dig at anyone who is at level 80, We have level 80 in the guild and he still seems to be enjoying the game. He will admit himself that he has a lot of time on his hands ;-) But I know to a lot of players they are still basing this game on other MMO's and playing that way.

Like advising people to leave one vista or unexplored area in each map and come back to it at a later level to get more XP for it. LOL that's not playing the game, if I wanted my leisure time to be that planned out I would go back to work. And then some people just run through all the sites etc as quick as possible just to get 100% map completion but never stop to have a look around at all. There are so many cool and wonderful places to see and visit. I just think people are wasting a lot of the brilliance of this game in the rush to 80.

The reason I bought this game is because of the what I read about it, that it wouldn't be a grindfest, that you wouldn't have to spend 6-7 hours a day playing to enjoy it. And so far it has been exactly as promised and I am really liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

reaper12 wrote: »
    The reason I bought this game is because of the what I read about it, that it wouldn't be a grindfest, that you wouldn't have to spend 6-7 hours a day playing to enjoy it. And so far it has been exactly as promised and I am really liking it.

Well said!! GW2 is fantastic in that it doesn't require you to play 24 hours a day everyday to have fun. It allows you to play and have fun in the GAME and have a bit craic.

I am 80 also but that's because i've played the **** out of it with lots of free time and have had an absolutely amazing time, Also now that i am 80 what has changed?

Nothing! I'm still having an awesome time and its super fun but do you need to play 24 hours a day everyday? No!

Here is a nice quote that apply here if you find yourself upset about the lack of content at 80.

“And Owl said to Wolf, ‘Brother, all your hunting is for naught if your family dines alone.’ And Wolf returned to his cubs, for he knew that Owl was wise.”

Take the game for what it is a game and a really fun one at that. Play it for fun and with mates and spend time away from it don't play it 24 hours a day everyday play it as you would a hobby and you will have a fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

People seem to be in an awful rush to get to level 80. I don't understand that in this game. Over on another forum I see people giving out advise on how to get to level 80 the quickest, showing runs that will get you huge XP that you can do 2 or 3 times an hour. LOL I mean, come on!! that's boring grinding, and for what? so you can get to level 80 fastest and when you get there to find out that you are bored.

It depends on the type of game you want to play.. Some people prefer grinding over exploring.. so people don't particularily like pve (in any form), and some people in the case of fast levelling want to get out into open world pvp with a full skills list and level 80 armor, they couldn't care less what boss is in what dungeon.

I'd rather take that path, and only pve when I know there is a specific drop or item that I "need" (term used losely) for pvp.

No rights or wrongs in any path, thats why the game allows for different routes to whatever you end goal happens to be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

People seem to be in an awful rush to get to level 80. I don't understand that in this game. Over on another forum I see people giving out advise on how to get to level 80 the quickest, showing runs that will get you huge XP that you can do 2 or 3 times an hour. LOL I mean, come on!! that's boring grinding, and for what? so you can get to level 80 fastest and when you get there to find out that you are bored. I am not taking a dig at anyone who is at level 80, We have level 80 in the guild and he still seems to be enjoying the game. He will admit himself that he has a lot of time on his hands ;-) But I know to a lot of players they are still basing this game on other MMO's and playing that way.

Thats because most GW2 players arnt new to MMO's.

Typically you blitz to max level and start on endgame content, and then use an alt to "experience" the levelling, although you pretty much experience it first time around.

Its a bull**** fantasy the way some people portray people who level fast as " not appreciating the game" and all this jazz. When you are levelling of course your taking in the quests, the surroundings etc.

Its just that you can sit down and do it for hours on end, unlike alot of people who are more casually focused.

Levelling is fun and all, with some friends its great, but endgame is where every MMO is at. And its also a good indication of wether or not an MMO will make it past 40 days of lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

ArthurG wrote: »
    Stupid question, but where do you see your ping?. I haven't spotted it yet :o

I use resource monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

ok so im lvl 9 and im on the unwelcome visitor mission, i got in through the motion detector using laugh and surprise, then i died, and now no matter what i do i cant get through this gate! :mad:

So, the "Official" trailer was released earlier, definitely the weirdest trailer I've ever seen for a PC game. Stick with it at least, it's gets pretty epic for the final few moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Just started playing this today, just wondering is there a boards.ie guild or anything like that going that accepts nubs? What server if so?

danthefan wrote: »
    Just started playing this today, just wondering is there a boards.ie guild or anything like that going that accepts nubs? What server if so?

You'll see from the character name thread that the majority of us are on the Gunnar's Hold server. There are two boards.ie related guilds that I know of, Celtic Incision (there's a thread about them here) and I think the other one is called Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So, the "Official" trailer was released earlier, definitely the weirdest trailer I've ever seen for a PC game. Stick with it at least, it's gets pretty epic for the final few moments.

It's not weird, it just suck's total balls. It's like something that an advertising company would come up with back in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

danthefan wrote: »

Leave your name in the thread and you'll get an invite (Your actual character name, that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Oh, also, Digital Sales are back up for the relevant people/parties.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

caspa307 wrote: »
    ok so im lvl 9 and im on the unwelcome visitor mission, i got in through the motion detector using laugh and surprise, then i died, and now no matter what i do i cant get through this gate! :mad:

Don't think I've done that yet,is everyone quest different or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Seen this yesterday and serious thought it was a trailer for the secret world..
    talk about doing it wrong

Advertisement