Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "rule" that a guy can't date his mate's sister

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Let's all just pretend that our sisters don't do that sort of stuff.

Pretend?

They don't.

Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nice call Dudess. I'm a guy and I completely don't understand this concept either. I have a suspicion/theory that guys who are ridiculously over-protective of their sister have a vague sort of attraction to them.

I have a friend who's sister is pretty but not necessarily a head-turner, and the mere mention of her (even if it's more eloquent than "tits on her,wha?") is met with a stern don't-even-go-there look.

I have a sister and I wouldn't give a **** if any of my friends were interested in her. It doesn't mean I don't care about her - quite the opposite - I'd want her to be happy with whoever she likes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

One of my mates has an older sister who a few years ago was a fox, she's a couple of kids now so not so foxy.

Another one has a cracking sister who I'd definitely do she's about 18 months younger than me and is out with our group a good bit, but man if i tapped that he'd go mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I walked into my mates kitchen last week and saw my mates four sisters sitting naked on an upside down chair, most awkward two minutes of my life[/quote]

What happened next? :pac: Seriously though, its depressing to read how many (male) posters are equating sexual activity with dirt/excrement. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is it not like hooking up with your mate's ex? There was always an unwritten rule in our gang that we didn't cross over...having said that not many sisters were shiftable. What about sisters mates? Some pretty tales could be told there.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CRonaldo

One of my mates has an older sister who a few years ago was a fox, she's a couple of kids now so not so foxy.

Another one has a cracking sister who I'd definitely do she's about 18 months younger than me and is out with our group a good bit, but man if i tapped that he'd go mental!

Rephrase that or I'l castrate off ur little willy, then u won't be able to even 'do' yer ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Personally I don't think it'd bother me.

But I'd imagine for some blokes the thoughts of having to hang around with a mate while your sister tagged along all the time would be too much. You'd never get away from your family. And imagine being stuck in the middle of a bad break up.

It's one of those silly bloke rules that really depends on the situation. If the intentions of your mate are good, well then it's fine.
    Although, regardless of how liberal you were I can't see too many blokes being too happy if their sister got Foxxy Velure on their mates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dan Dare wrote: »
    I walked into my mates kitchen last week and saw my mates four sisters sitting naked on an upside down chair, most awkward two minutes of my life

I wouldn't have lasted two minutes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

RedXIV wrote: »
    probably to do with comparasions in how they act. I've a sister of 18 and i'd trust NONE of my friends to go out with her. Thats because alot of my friends aren't nice, some wouldn't get her and others, just because i'm too used to them talking about girls as if they are objects (not in a bad way, just that i've no personal attachment to them). But as regards my sister, she can date pretty much anyone she wants as long as it's not one of the guys i hang around with. it'd be too weird for me also to date a friend's sister. Honestly don't think i could do it without messing up the friendship
    See, I just don't hang out with those kind of people. None that I would call best mates anyway.
    Dudess wrote: »
    What I'm referring to is the "rule" that it must not be broken under any circumstances - that sisters are a no-no, end of story, even if the guy is a respectful, decent dude and he really loves the sister, and she really loves him.
    Thats a load of crock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stovelid wrote: »
    Pretend?

They don't.

Ever.

Don't be silly, we all know they do. I've a niece and nephew, so I know my sister has done it. Twice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BDubliner wrote: »
    I walked into my mates kitchen last week and saw my mates four sisters sitting naked on an upside down chair, most awkward two minutes of my life

30 seconds each ey?

... nothing awkward about that :rolleyes:

- Drav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have a sister and I wouldn't give a **** if any of my friends were interested in her.

So if one of your friends was a bit of a sleaze who loves giving the details about his conquests (e.g. your sister shaves her pussy/has a loose pussy/I banged her in the ass) and rarely uses condoms, you wouldn't care?

The problem I have is a lot of guys (probably not the sort of people who use boards) fit into the above category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What about family memebers being in your ****/spank bank?

Not anybody related to Tommy Gavin tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Mena wrote: »
    Think it's silly, I've been married to my "mates" sister for 13 years now.

What will happen if he finds out.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Zzippy wrote: »
    Don't be silly, we all know they do. I've a niece and nephew, so I know my sister has done it. Twice.

Nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Very reasonable responses here in fairness. There was a Personal Issues thread about it before and some awful crap was posted - "you just don't do it - stop trying to be liberal" etc, no attempts to back it up, or just spurious ones like "Would a brother like his sister getting gang-banged even if she wanted it? No. There you go" - as if the two are even remotely comparable.
    The "dividing loyalties" thing is a very good point all right - pretty horrendous being the go-between if there was a break-up. I think though, if the two really really like each other, that's a risk which has to be taken.
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I'm sure most guys wouldn't care if a lovely gentleman of a friend was dating his sister. The only problem is that most guys aren't.
    The "most of us guys are dirtbags" response is one I'd query: are most guys really that bad? I don't think so. I'd imagine most guys aren't OTT respectful gentlemen either... just in between, and nothing wrong with that.
    Des wrote: »
    See, my sister is nine years younger than me.

I'd question the motives of a 30 year old friend of mine wanting to hook with my sister tbh.
    It might be nothing more sinister than finding her really attractive though.
    kaimera wrote: »
    younger sister; no.

older sisters are fair game tbh.
    Wouldn't it depend on actual ages though? Younger sister could mean 25, older sister could mean 21.
    finisklin wrote: »
    Is it not like hooking up with your mate's ex?
    No.
    There was always an unwritten rule in our gang that we didn't cross over
    This is what I'm talking about, the unwritten rule that doesn't account for differing individuals.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    So if one of your friends was a bit of a sleaze who loves giving the details about his conquests (e.g. your sister shaves her pussy/has a loose pussy/I banged her in the ass) and rarely uses condoms, you wouldn't care?
    Ah Jesus, a guy who carries on like that in the first place - well, I could understand his mate not wanting him near his sister. A guy who's any bit decent wouldn't say that kind of stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dudess wrote:
    What I'm referring to is the "rule" that it must not be broken under any circumstances - that sisters are a no-no, end of story, even if the guy is a respectful, decent dude and he really loves the sister, and she really loves him.
    The actual rule is

If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off limits forever unless you actually marry her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

What exactly is the logic behind that silly "rule"? Some guys say "it's just the way it is" etc - not a reason. I think it's a bit creepy actually - in the same way I find overly rigorous vetting of boyfriends by fathers creepy.

And I know a man has every right to be concerned about his daughter's/sister's wellbeing but I'm talking about those who are OTT about it and seem to be more concerned about how it affects them rather than their sister/daughter.

The vast majority of relationships go wrong. Having a mate date your sister can also strain your friendship...not for any other reason than the constant truth that if he ****s it up in any way that he shouldn't have then you need to break his knees.

Ah Jesus, a guy who carries on like that in the first place - well, I could understand his mate not wanting him near his sister. A guy who's any bit decent wouldn't say that kind of stuff.

A lot of men (i.e. nearly all men) go on like that though... particularly after one night stands or a short fling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The actual rule is

If you've known a guy for more than 24 hours, his sister is off limits forever unless you actually marry her.

If she's extremely hot I'd go for it....divorce is legal in this country..and besides you can always get new friends...and their sisters :)

• Advertisement

Berkut wrote: »
    If she's extremely hot I'd go for it....divorce is legal in this country..and besides you can always get new friends...and their sisters :)

Made me laugh a little bit... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think one of the main reasons i wouldnt like it is when you're out with the lads you chat to women. That's normal. But if one of my friends was dating my sister i'd be watching him. Seeing what he is doing. Even if he never intended doing anything. IF he had never cheated before in his life. I'd always be wary about him chatting to other women. I'd never enjoy a night out again. This would obviously piss him off as well. I honestly don't think that i'd be able to be friends and go out with a guy that was dating my sister. I'd always be too protective as i'd never want to see her hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My brothers are 16 and 9 years older then me.
    Id say theyd go a bit mad if they found out i was seeing one of their mates.
    They thought a lad 4 years older then me was bad enough and it wouldnt be taken too well if i went older then that never mind the fact it was one of "the lads".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm currently nailing my best mates sister. BOO YA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

She must be a shít lay if you're posting on boards at the same time

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Pretty simple, I know more about my friends than my sisters do and in 99% of the cases, I would not let my friends near them..

I know their flaws, I know how they'll talk about her when she's/I'm not around, I'll know when my friend is being disingenuous etc.. In reality, I'm just as much of a gob****e as most of my friends, but I just happen to think quite highly of my sisters and feel they deserve better than my friends :)

Also there's the fact that if one of them acts a tool and the relationship goes kaput, I'm effected too..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Very insincere comment, usually followed by a total lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's not really a rule. More of a general guideline. It's perfectly acceptable as long you either marry her or your buddy never, ever finds out.

Like the poster above said, you'd always know the **** your friends are capable of, and there's few of my friends I'd let anywhere near my sister. From personal experience going out with a friend's sister is a good way to lose a friend. I'd always tread very carefully.

Usually I can't imagine why you would want to. Could you imagine shagging a girl that looked like your friend - no matter how slim the resemblance? I did shag one girl in her brother's bed. It was dark when she came in and I tought it was someone else at first. Even though she was the town bicylce he wouldn't speak to me for years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What exactly is the logic behind that silly "rule"? Some guys say "it's just the way it is" etc - not a reason. I think it's a bit creepy actually - in the same way I find overly rigorous vetting of boyfriends by fathers creepy.

And I know a man has every right to be concerned about his daughter's/sister's wellbeing but I'm talking about those who are OTT about it and seem to be more concerned about how it affects them rather than their sister/daughter.

I'd be worried about the guys feelings towards his sister if I was you Dudess. To see what I'm talking about, watch Scarface. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I don't think I actually have any friends who would be annoyed if I went out with their sisters (assuming she was a decent age)...it seems illogical really. And misogynistic.

Advertisement