Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "rule" that a guy can't date his mate's sister

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

What exactly is the logic behind that silly "rule"? Some guys say "it's just the way it is" etc - not a reason. I think it's a bit creepy actually - in the same way I find overly rigorous vetting of boyfriends by fathers creepy.

And I know a man has every right to be concerned about his daughter's/sister's wellbeing but I'm talking about those who are OTT about it and seem to be more concerned about how it affects them rather than their sister/daughter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Incest is best.

Some of the over protective guys are a bit much. I wouldn't pass to much heed to it myself but knowing the way guys talk in the pub about other girls is what bothers most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Think it's silly, I've been married to my "mates" sister for 13 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭RedXIV

probably to do with comparasions in how they act. I've a sister of 18 and i'd trust NONE of my friends to go out with her. Thats because alot of my friends aren't nice, some wouldn't get her and others, just because i'm too used to them talking about girls as if they are objects (not in a bad way, just that i've no personal attachment to them). But as regards my sister, she can date pretty much anyone she wants as long as it's not one of the guys i hang around with. it'd be too weird for me also to date a friend's sister. Honestly don't think i could do it without messing up the friendship

I'm sure most guys wouldn't care if a lovely gentleman of a friend was dating his sister. The only problem is that most guys aren't. And a guy will know how his friend has treated other girls before, either not giving a **** about them or else being a freaky stalker.

They wouldnt want their sisters as a topic of discussion in the pub with the rest of their mates either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just hop on him, D.

Don't mind your brother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

mmm..

tbh, I think it might be because guys know the way other guys talk about girls and wouldn't like them to be talking about their sister in that way?
    I know if I had a sister I'd much rather it to be one of my friends dating her than some random I don't know.

Although that does lead to friendships becoming unstable..a bad break up with the girl and the friendship could be pretty much over?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's only said if the sister is a munter. It's a good excuse to leave her be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You can't date her, but you can still fcuk her ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

It's common sense. Dont shit in your own (or your mates) garden. Its stupid crap like wimmenz dating their friends brother that ruin friendships...I'd have expected better from you Dudess :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

You can't date her, but you can still fcuk her ;)

Yes, but you can never, ever tell your mate about where she let you put it. This is the reason for the rule, you gets drunk, you forgets who you're talking too :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I thought the rule was you can't just fúck her but you can date her:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'd have no problem with some of my mates dating my sister but on the other hand I wouldn't introduce some of my other mates to my sister.

Also if you leave it completely open for your mates they *may* take advantage of the fact that the rule isn't there.

Basically what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be cast iron for me - if one of my mates who I know is a good guy was interested in my sister for more than just a one night stand then that'd probably be ok.

Otherwise back off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

This, tbh

kevmy wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with some of my mates dating my sister but on the other hand I wouldn't introduce some of my other mates to my sister.

Also if you leave it completely open for your mates they *may* take advantage of the fact that the rule isn't there.

Basically what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be cast iron for me - if one of my mates who I know is a good guy was interested in my sister for more than just a one night stand then that'd probably be ok.

Otherwise back off!!!

Methinks your sister puts it about a little too much for your liking?

Phone number please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

\for one it would be strange as my mates are the people I joke with about some pretty sick and twisted stuff. That would have to stop :(
    Then there is the risk of being stuck in the middle between a good friend and a family member if they fell out. That would suck ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dudess wrote: »
    What exactly is the logic behind that silly "rule"? Some guys say "it's just the way it is" etc - not a reason. I think it's a bit creepy actually - in the same way I find overly rigorous vetting of boyfriends by fathers creepy.

And I know a man has every right to be concerned about his daughter's/sister's wellbeing but I'm talking about those who are OTT about it and seem to be more concerned about how it affects them rather than their sister/daughter.

See, my sister is nine years younger than me.

I'd question the motives of a 30 year old friend of mine wanting to hook with my sister tbh. Her last bf was the same age as me, and I was really concerned.

Having said that, she does have a couple of mates who'd I'd jump if I was single.

But, I've never looked at any of my own mates' sisters in that way. Just never occurred to me. Most of them were children when I 16/7/8/9 and I still kind of see them that way, if you know what I mean.

The older ones were all bowlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It really depends on which one of my friends wants to be with my sister.

If he's a very nice, respectful, non-sleazy guy, then it's ok, but if he's a bit of a lad then I would have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ok, my opening post is too sparse. I'm not talking about much younger sisters, I'm not talking about the guys who act like dirtbags to women getting interested in one's sis (funny how that behaviour can be "backslappable" in other contexts though), I'm not talking about the walking disease-bag friends... It's a given that these are situations where it's not on.

What I'm referring to is the "rule" that it must not be broken under any circumstances - that sisters are a no-no, end of story, even if the guy is a respectful, decent dude and he really loves the sister, and she really loves him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dudess wrote: »
    What I'm referring to is the "rule" that it must not be broken under any circumstances - that sisters are a no-no, end of story, even if the guy is a respectful, decent dude and he really loves the sister, and she really loves him.

In general I think friends should stay away from each others sisters, as
    there's loads of other women in the world (I know that doesn't really make sense), and it might change the dynamic of your relationship, especially if they break up or whatever.

I guess it's about having to divide your loyalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Then it goes back to the issue of being stuck in the middle. Let's say my bestest respectable friend goes out with my sis for a few years and they break up (maybe even add in an affair first) now I'm stuck in a horrible situation where my family ties may see me lose one of best friends. It's a bit selfish but looking at it from the brothers perspective there is a huge risk versus nearly no return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

It's common sense. Dont shit in your own (or your mates) garden. Its stupid crap like wimmenz dating their friends brother that ruin friendships...I'd have expected better from you Dudess :rolleyes:

So going out with someone = defecating on them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

994 wrote: »
    So going out with someone = defecating on them??

Yes, unless you live some kind of sheltered, Catholic-guilt about sex lifestyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

younger sister; no.

older sisters are fair game tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Wud it not be cool to have a good friend as a brother-in-law instead of some assh0le?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

sugarcubes wrote: »
    Meh, if it's good enough for Harry Potter ....

The best magic trick he ever did in those books was to make some of those recessive ginger genes disappear.
    Thats it,close the thread.When you start getting Harry Potter references.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wud it not be cool to have a good friend as a brother-in-law instead of some assh0le?

Not if he's hup on yer sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Not if he's hup on yer sister.

But unless you want to get hup on her there's no problem is der? :D

Tell your buddy fcuk off, do his sister, make up ...

... there's always C ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

Fellas like to think their sisters are angels but the fact is that most of them are right dirty and im not talking about in a hygienic way. I walked into my mates kitchen last week and saw my mates four sisters sitting naked on an upside down chair, most awkward two minutes of my life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

But unless you want to get hup on her there's no problem is der? :D

Let's all just pretend that our sisters don't do that sort of stuff.

Advertisement