Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing ones shoes before entering one's or another's home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

c4cat wrote: »
    Why do you have to retort to such an immature response?,

Because

1) It's AH

2) You're clearly taking the piss at this stage with this whole topic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Why do you have to retort to such an immature response?,

And "So you don't read much then?" wasn't immature?

Anyway...I've never been asked to remove my shoes in someone else's house. Would never ask anyone else to in mine either.

Different customs in different countries. Doesn't need to be that big an issue. If it works for you, it works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

And "So you don't read much then?" wasn't immature?

Anyway...I've never been asked to remove my shoes in someone else's house. Would never ask anyone else to in mine either.

Different customs in different countries. Doesn't need to be that big an issue. If it works for you, it works for you.

It was more sarcastic rather then immature

Because

1) It's AH

2) You're clearly taking the piss at this stage with this whole topic anyway.

1) Yes it is AH, so I respond in the same vain

2)Yes in response to others taking the pi$$ first, but if you are willing to continue a more mature discussion on this topic, I will be more then willing to

Dave147 wrote: »
    All shoes in mine are left at the door and we wear slippers around our apartment. Of course, I live with my Slovak girlfriend her sister and boyfriend, and her best friend - I'd rather leave my shoes on!

So don't you see a difference in your household compared to a household that does not leave their shoes at the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

2)Yes in response to others taking the pi$$ first, but if you are willing to continue a more mature discussion on this topic, I will be more then willing to

No I meant right from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I was living in Germany for 9 years and it was custom to leave you shoes in the hallway when entering someones house .
    I have been back in Ireland now and I still do it in my own home and others do the same . I don't ask them too . they see me do it and they they do the same .
    Its not because of keeping my house clean as I have two dogs who run in and out of my garden every five minutes but to me its more comfort as you can put your feet up on my couches if you want

*Plus your socks are helping me polish my wooden floors :)

No I meant right from the start.

Do you mean from my first post on this subject or from when I responded to you first

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

I know somebody who makes everyone take off their shoes in her house. The majority of the house is tiled, the rest wooden floors. My feet are cold at the best of times and in her house, especially in Winter they are frozen almost numb!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

phasers wrote: »
    I'd prefer a bit of muck in the house than the smell of sweaty manky feet tbh

+ 1. If someone wasn't wearing socks then I'd much prefer for them to bring in a leaf or a bit of muck instead of leaving flakes of their dead skin and sweat in my house. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Just another immature response

The point of why stop at shoes is valid. The amount of dirt and dust that are brought in on a persons clothes are more than is brought in on their shoes. And you dont clean your house as often as someone who lets people wear shoes in the house. So going by this your house would in fact be dirtier than most peoples.

The point of why stop at shoes is valid. The amount of dirt and dust that are brought in on a persons clothes are more than is brought in on their shoes. And you dont clean your house as often as someone who lets people wear shoes in the house. So going by this your house would in fact be dirtier than most peoples.

Well for a start, those that go out and roll around in the crap would just not be invited, so its a mute point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

In response to the sweaty feet, think about it when do you normally visit other peoples houses, in the evening. Now I know we all like to think women don't sweat and fart and stuff but they do. So by the end of the day of course peoples feet are going to be sweaty and possibly a bit stinky. Whish is far worse than a bit of dirt.

And come on lets be realistic how much dog crap is going to get walked into your house, unless someone had actually just stepped on some in which case they'd offer to take off their shoes. There is probably more ****e left from someone farting in your house than from their shoes.

Also why should someone have to wear through their socks on your floors thus shortening the life of them.

I guess a fair compromise would be: If you ask me to take my shoes off in your house, then provide me slippers.

I guess a fair compromise would be: If you ask me to take my shoes off in your house, then provide me slippers.

We do, I have a large collection of slippers from hotels I have stayed in available for use by guests to my home

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's common practice throughout Europe, I've been asked to do it in Slovakia, Czech republic and even in a hostel in Sweden. I thought the hostel one was a bit off considering everyone spends the day walking around and would have smelly infected feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

We always ask our guests to take the shoes off.

Reasons:

1. Wooden floors and heels = scratched floor. No thanks
    2. Beige carpet = dirt

We actually consider it impolite if somebody just waltzes in with their shoes on.

Our floors are clean and we like to keep them that way.

Unaton wrote: »
    We always ask our guests to take the shoes off.

Reasons:

1. Wooden floors and heels = scratched floor. No thanks
    2. Beige carpet = dirt

We actually consider it impolite if somebody just waltzes in with their shoes on.

Our floors are clean and we like to keep them that way.

I could not agree with you more, I really can not understand why many here in Ireland seem to think otherwise.

I could not agree with you more, I really can not understand why many here in Ireland seem to think otherwise.

It might be best to just accept that we do and move on. I don't think it's likely to change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

We do, I have a large collection of slippers from hotels I have stayed in available for use by guests to my home
    So not only do they need to take off their shoes, they have to handle stolen goods as well?

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    So not only do they need to take off their shoes, they have to handle stolen goods as well?

Oh how stupid can one get, the slippers in the hotels I use are for one time use only for reasons of hygiene and are disposed as garbage if used & left behind by guests, just like the toothbrushes they provide in the bathrooms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

BVB wrote: »
    I have been back in Ireland now and I still do it in my own home and others do the same . I don't ask them too . they see me do it and they they do the same .

Exactly the same for me. I'm more comfortable taking my shoes off when entering my house. I never ask guests to but most do it automatically when they see the pile of shoes at the door.
    I haven't been hit by the smelly feet syndrome that so many here have a problem with. I must have friends that wash. :D

It might be best to just accept that we do and move on. I don't think it's likely to change anytime soon.

I agree with you, I am not out to change the way of others, infact its not up to me to tell people how to treat their own homes. I just wanted to know what the gen attitude was here in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i go around bare foot in my house ....nobody else does.....

Exactly the same for me. I'm more comfortable taking my shoes off when entering my house. I never ask guests to but most do it automatically when they see the pile of shoes at the door.
    I haven't been hit by the smelly feet syndrome that so many here have a problem with. I must have friends that wash. :D

Its amazing what a good wash can do..............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's not uncommon in Boston, probably as a result of the snow in the winter. It would cause quite a mess tracking in snow and slush.

We don't wear shoes in my house, and none of my friends have a problem with it. Then again, a lot of my friends are South Asian, and it's the norm over there.

We are in an upstairs apartment, and I think it's only common courtesy to the downstairs neighbors not to clump around on the hardwood floors in shoes. I wish our upstairs neighbors would do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Oh how stupid can one get, the slippers in the hotels I use are for one time use only for reasons of hygiene and are disposed as garbage if used & left behind by guests, just like the toothbrushes they provide in the bathrooms

If i was to visit your house, I'd take off my shoes if you really wanted me to.

However, I've been to peoples' houses in muslim countries for example and Im more afraid of the slippers they are asking me to wear than the dirt I might get on their mostly non-carpeted floors.

Some of the slippers I've seen could walk out the door themselves.

But what I really want to know is, is this a round about way of inviting us all in AH to a dinner party?

I agree with you, I am not out to change the way of others, infact its not up to me to tell people how to treat their own homes. I just wanted to know what the gen attitude was here in Ireland

Well, no, actually...you wanted people to justify doing the opposite of you like it was some unheard of practice to wear shoes indoors. A bit different from being curious about what other people think about it...but I guess that's just semantics.

bug wrote: »
    If i was to visit your house, I'd take off my shoes if you really wanted me to.

But what I really want to know is, is this a round about way of inviting us all in AH to a dinner party?

No!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I would have thought that this is an obvious requirement for anyone living in your typical Irish shoebox apartment or duplex. Unfortunately in Ireland the combination of wooden floors and high-heeled shoes is all too common - very unpleasant for anyone living below.

Advertisement