Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing ones shoes before entering one's or another's home

Options
  • 19-08-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Some thing I picked up from living in the Far East Asia for a good part of my life. I was brought up to never walk into any home with ones outdoor footwear on; Its common practice to always remove outdoor footwear at the door. In my home in Ireland my family and I have carried on this practice and when I visit anybody elses home I still always remove my shoes before entering. Personally I think its just common sense not to bring in the sh!te from the outside world into ones home on their outdoor footwear and spread it all over the carpets. Here in Europe it seems its just not the done thing to remove ones shoes before entering ones or anothers home. Can anyone justify from a hygenic point of view why people expect to wonder into any home, ones own or another's home wearing outdoor footwear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

It takes too much time. Us Irish are a busy group and we can't we wasting time taking on and off our shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm from Ireland and I've never been asked to remove my shoes in anyones home.

Where I live at the moment in Germany its common practice and considered polite to ask your host if they want you to remove your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

c4cat wrote: »
    Can anyone justify from a hygenic point of view why people expect to wonder into any home, ones own or another's home wearing outdoor footwear?

Can you justiy why they shouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'd prefer a bit of muck in the house than the smell of sweaty manky feet tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I always do it going into my own home. I think I picked it up in Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Load of pants. Pigheads shoes are always immaculate. If Pighead were to take off his shoes whose to say that he wouldn't stand on a piece of dog or cat poo thus ruining his socks.

Courtesy is a two way street. If these people are so worried about Pigheads shoes they should cover the floor with cling film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A friend's mother makes people do this.

We call her Hyacinth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've been asked to in a few mates house, so we don't dirty the carpet or whatever (which is fair enough, we had to trek down country roads to get to one's house, the road was covered in snails so my trainers had snail juice on the bottom).

But yeah, if I'm asked, I do.
    If I'm not asked, I don't because I don't wanna stink out their house

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In Ireland one's footwear would be stolen, and one would have to walk home barefoot, like they did in the old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Can you justiy why they shouldn't?

Well the bit of dog sh!te you did not know was still on your shoes that you just trailed through the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'd see it as rude to be asked to remove my shoes. You're just assuming I have **** all over my shoes

bluto63 wrote: »
    I'd see it as rude to be asked to remove my shoes. You're just assuming I have **** all over my shoes

To be honest you would def have some sort of dirt on your shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 30,119 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

One shouldn't have to think about such things :)

Traditionally in Asia you eat closer to the floor maybe, so from a hygenic point of view not much of an issue for us eating further up from the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Only if I'm asked, which has been once.
    I usually just give them a wipe the mat outside the door if thereis one, and if there isn't fcuk 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

It depends..Ill take mine off at home if it has been raining or i have been somewhere mucky..Ill leave them on otherwise.. Going to someone elses home i normally leave them on, again unless it has been raining or CARPET.. Ill always offer to take my shoes off if someone has carpet..timber floor or lino can wash off easily..

To be honest you would def have some sort of dirt on your shoes

Buy a mat for your door. Most people wipe their feet before entering a home

phasers wrote: »
    I'd prefer a bit of muck in the house than the smell of sweaty manky feet tbh

Don't your friends wash their feet and change their socks every day then? In Asia thats what people do to avoid that problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

To be honest I don't see what people's problem is.

The first thing I do when I come home is take off my shoes (nothing to do with dirt, most the rooms have wooden or tiled floors); it just makes me more comfortable.

If anything, being asked to take my shoes off is just like being told to make myself at home, feels more relaxed, less formal.... that doesnt make any sense does it?

Buy a mat for your door. Most people wipe their feet before entering a home

You think thats ok to wipe your feet on a dirty old mat thats been sitting there for months

You think thats ok to wipe your feet on a dirty old mat thats been sitting there for months

As long as you don't bring any physical dirt into the house, then yes, I think that's fine. And if it really bothers you that much, wash your mat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Don't your friends wash their feet and change their socks every day then? In Asia thats what people do to avoid that problem
    I don't know, we don't discuss stuff like that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i'd be really offended if someone asked me to remove my shoes!!people who ask are usually so ridiculously houseproud their home doesn't looked lived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭RedXIV

i'd be really offended if someone asked me to remove my shoes!!people who ask are usually so ridiculously houseproud their home doesn't looked lived in.

I think this could be closer to the truth than many will want to admit. I know plenty of people who wish their home to be absolutely spotless and flawless in appearance. But that wouldn't be "home" for me. I'd wear my shoes in and out of my house because it's convenient, not out of disrespect for the house. I think if you get worried about little things like this, you may not be able to relax fully?

I think it is common sense less dirt in = less cleaning, and after being battered in a few peoples homes in Europe for forgetting.
    I wouldn't be offended.

I don't do it myself though because I'm filthy and sure your immune likes a challenge now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You think thats ok to wipe your feet on a dirty old ma thats been sitting there for months

Some people treat their oh like a doormat.:eek:

As long as you don't bring any physical dirt into the house, then yes, I think that's fine. And if it really bothers you that much, wash your mat!

So I would have to wash my mat after each person used it. cos after the first person used it the next person would be picking up the dirt left by the first person who could have wiped the dog sh!te from the soles of his shoes onto the mat in the first place. I am sorry but from an hygenic point of view your method does not compute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Well to put it simply, if somebody walked into my house and took off their shoes at the door I'd be like wtf? and if I was going into somebody's house and they asked me to take off my shoes I'd be like wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mad_physist

When you enter a house in Austria, you take off your shoes FULLSTOP Even a plumber or satelite repair man will remove his shoes when called to fix something. Actually its considered very impolite to leave ones shoes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

The only time i would ask someone to remove their footwear before entering my home would be when they are wearing Nike Air Max.
    Can't be condoning any of that behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,119 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

does seem a bit controlling being asked to remove your shoes

should you feel you have to remove all your clothes is your host requests it :pac:

Advertisement