Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray incident 'Not a knifecrime' because they came from good families

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

Serriously, if you dont know the people involved, or the facts, Shut up

If the first part of that were true none of us would be allowed to have an opinion about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

<snip> I'll assume you didn't see your other post being edited. Not an assumption I'll be making again. - Hagar<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Who are the guards more likely to tackle?

- A bunch of middle class students on a Mayday protest.

- A group of working class dudes openly dealing drugs on the Quays

A jealous and spurned guy with revenge on his mind is not going to be interested in stabbing someone other than his intended target.

A tooled-up nutcase who carries a knife every time he goes out sees every vulnerable person as a target. Rob 'em - knife 'em - f*ck 'em.

I know which one I'd rather face.

wow, that's just fcuking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

please give reasons for your answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

please give reasons for your answer

Ok, now this is going around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Ridiculous comment.

Nigbbbth made a lot of sense. Yours.......eh......didnt.....:mad:

Confab wrote: »
    Ok, now this is going around in circles.

I made a point. I gave examples to back it up.

Fair enough if someone disagrees but I'd like to know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I simply doubt he was mentally ill. I have a wealth of personal experience dealing with mentally ill people, and generally they don't do what he did. I do agree that the general attitude to mental illness in this country is prehistoric and utterly unhelpful.

Generally they dont? So sometimes they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The only way this debate could become even more intellectual is for someone to start using the rolly eyes smiley.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

LadyE wrote: »

But would you be claiming the person was mentally ill if they were from a working class area is the question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

LadyE wrote: »

Correct. 86.34% of them don't do it. The remaining 13.66% go on medically sanctioned killing sprees with a bread knife :rolleyes:

Class has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

<snip> I'll assume you didn't see your other post being edited. Not an assumption I'll be making again. - Hagar<snip>

First post 21:41. Hagar edit 21:49

Second post 21:51. Hagar edit 21.54.

Please dont assume I didn't know you edited my first post. Please know I didn't?

When I made my next post the last one had no edits.

just to clear that up.

I now remember why I read and don't post.

Thanks

Correct. 86.34% of them don't do it. The remaining 13.66% go on medically sanctioned killing sprees with a bread knife :rolleyes:

That doesn't even dignify a repsonse. Your post is bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Oh, my post totally disappeared. Did it even get posted at all?

Should I post it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I made a point. I gave examples to back it up.

Fair enough if someone disagrees but I'd like to know why.

You gave examples of something that doesn't matter in this case

A guy, regardless of class, decided for whatever reason to stick a knife into somebody and they died

At that point he became a murderer. That's all that matters really

LadyE wrote:
    That doesn't even dignify a repsonse. Your post is bull****.

Confab in his infinite experience has never heard of sudden onset illness it would seem. I know people with relatives who were seemingly fine one day, had to be committed to hospital the next. Has apparently never encountered psychiatric patients who suffer from violent outbursts either.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JACK_the_LAD

I would 'nt call him a scum-bag 'cos i dont know the guy.

He is/was a crazed lunatic. He is/was a murderer.

There does appear to be a certain inconsistency on these boards I believe.

the MODS either close or clean up threads on this stabbing, but there have been other stabbings without such hightened (MOD) sensitivity. Speculate and name call all you wish in relation to these. Why is this?

My belief is, it is simply down to bias. Had this stabbing occured in Finglas, Clondalkin, or Crumlin, comitted by working-class men, then it would be open season.

But this occured in a middle-class area, comitted by a middle-class Trinity undergraduate, so we must be quiet.

This could well be attributable to threats of litigation from these same middle-classes, cos as we know after the Blacrock bootboys/Annabels & Waterloo Road "incidents" these middle-class parents do not like their precious little darlings being discussed.
    Especially when some poor soul inconveniently ends up DEAD!

Because as we all know middle-class kids don't MURDER people in this little country. They just get involved in "incidents".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Should I post it again?
    I wouldn't bother.

When I made my next post the last one had no edits.
    Not true. 2 min difference by your own admission. Nevertheless I assumed you hadn't seen it and took no other action.

You gave examples of something that doesn't matter in this case

A guy, regardless of class, decided for whatever reason to stick a knife into somebody and they died

At that point he became a murderer. That's all that matters really

lost expectation made a general point about the middle class being sheltered and the lower classes being shafted by the media.

I gave the example of two similar cases as a contrast.

The subsequent example re May Day vs drugs was to illustrate why I think the "middle class get an easy time from the cops" is a fallacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Bob_Harris wrote: »

Should I post it again?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

That's a perception bandied about by middle class self-loathers. You may be one of them.

Compare two cases

- Anabels: Four posh boys with no previous convictions kill one of their contemporaries. Get quite lenient sentences. Media uproar all through the trial. Constant focus on their upbringing/backgrounds with the emphasis that they should have known better etc.

- New Ross: Eight working class dudes from tough estates and a prior reputation for being pricks kill a Swedish flower seller. I know this because I grew up there. Get even lighter sentences. No media uproar bar cursory reporting of the case. No focus whatsoever on their backgrounds.

i really don't know how the contradicts what i said
    theres definitely a bias towards protecting the middle class and be dammed with the lower class in all forms of media

I don't think the annabel 4 were demonised and or more importantly dehumanised as others attackers have been...

new ross case was simply ignored by the media, it wasn't protected, never heard about it myself. not a big crime fetishist, didn't indulging in reading any annabel 4 stuff either apart from what i couldn't ignore.
    A jealous and spurned guy with revenge on his mind is not going to be interested in stabbing someone other than his intended target.

eh he stabbed the guys brother too afaik... was he his intended target? ( was the girl) who knows. stabbing and murder is messy...

yes 'a domestic' is different, and this is a type of domestic your much less likely to come across a domestic attack unless your personally involved, infact your highly unlikely too...so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Hagar wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother.

It was a pretty funny post though. Although this is a "serious" thread, but then again it is "AH", oh the conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tragic or not, it's horrible. Shouldn't be treaten any differant than anybody else.

Should people get less time in jail, or should pity/mercy be shown because they are from "good families"?

Equality? LOL...

new ross case was simply ignored by the media, never heard about it myself. not a big crime fetishist, didn't indulging in reading any annabel 4 stuff either apart from what i couldn't ignore.

Wasn't ignored by the media but it was glossed over.
    eh he stabbed the guys brother too afaik... was he his intended target? ( was the girl) who knows. stabbing and murder is messy...

I imagine that the brother was stabbed because he went to his sibling's assistance.

Tragic or not, it's horrible. Shouldn't be treaten any differant than anybody else.

Should people get less time in jail, or should pity/mercy be shown because they are from "good families"?

Equality? LOL...

The guy would only smell out the cells if they put him in jail at this point.

People get off lightly across the board in Ireland. Our justice system is soft on criminals, no matter their background. The only thing you can be sure to be banged up for is forgetting to pay the TV license it seems.

Stark wrote: »
    Confab in his infinite experience has never heard of sudden onset illness it would seem. I know people with relatives who were seemingly fine one day, had to be committed to hospital the next. Has apparently never encountered psychiatric patients who suffer from violent outbursts either.

i agree this kid clearly was a nutter.
    and a murdering nutter to boot.

Oh! and the kid he stabbed is still dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what does he think poorer people fight over

drugs, horses, and cousins. and fights about drugs, horses, and cousins.

i think that which is angering people is the perception that the middle-classes in this grubby little bannana republic of ours seem to get away with murder.

not too far from Bray lies the sleepy little middle-class enclave of Greystones, home to a one Seanie Fitz.

" now talking about getting away with ..................":eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Class has nothing to do with this..

Two young men are dead...

Two other young people are seriously injured..

Nobody other than the people who were in that house on that night know what happened.. The full facts may never become public knowledge.

I'm sure the relatives and friends of both families are absolutley devasted. There are no rules as to how to deal with such a situation, it is a tragedy.

To come out saying scumbag, mentally ill about this young man is totally uncalled for as none of us has any idea what happened that night. I feel that it will be unimaginable for any of the members of either family to deal with these losses.

It is a tragic sad thing to happen regardless of where they are from, what college they were attending and how they were brought up. It could have happened in any class and would still be just as tragic.

My thoughts would be with the poor families of both young men who must be going through such conflicting emotions at the moment.

The Irish Times - Mon 17 August has accurate facts as far as I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement