Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sport(s) do you hate?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Soccer
    Used to hate horse racing when I was younger but I love it now, especially when I have a bet on a race.

Cricket, such a boring sport and they all look like there going for dinner rather playing sport.
    American football, just because it takes way too long, and they wear all them pads to play glorified rugby, pussies.

Hurling is the best sport in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

orourkeda wrote: »
    New Zealand has a better Rugby team that Ireland because they make better use of the resources at their disposal.
    Not to mention making better use of their neighbouring islands resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rugby
    ceegee wrote: »

Its horrible really Tonga and Fiji would have half decent teams if Lomu and Umaga stayed and played for them. Didnt Umaga's bro play full back for Samoa while he played centre for NZ at the last world cup?

TBH the GAA are just as bad, stealing the O'hAilpins from Fiji, when Fiji were finally starting to have a decent hurling team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Gaelic Football
    I cant believe the vitriol towards Gaelic Games in this thread. Judging from the arguments presented thus far those who hate Gaelic games dislike it because we as a nation are not good at other sports. This is an absurd reason to hate a sport. Games like hurling and football are more than just games for a lot of Irish people, they are what make us unique, they are part of our culture and we would be much poorer as a country without them. By the sounds of it some people would prefer if we were just a clone of Britain with no discernable difference to set us apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Gaelic Football
    Hazys wrote: »
    Its horrible really Tonga and Fiji would have half decent teams if Lomu and Umaga stayed and played for them. Didnt Umaga's bro play full back for Samoa while he played centre for NZ at the last world cup?

TBH the GAA are just as bad, stealing the O'hAilpins from Fiji, when Fiji were finally starting to have a decent hurling team!

not to mention all those spawn of culchies playing for Dublin

• Advertisement

Gaelic Football
    deisedude wrote: »
    I cant believe the vitriol towards Gaelic Games in this thread. Judging from the arguments presented thus far those who hate Gaelic games dislike it because we as a nation are not good at other sports. .

You must have missed the whole 6 nations championship, Heiniken Cup, Magners League & churchill cup on the tele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Cricket
    Was just in my local, the amount of scummers wearing their Celtic and arsenal jerseys is unreal. I know which sport I hate most now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xblaZe

American Football
    I cant believe the vitriol towards Gaelic Games in this thread. Judging from the arguments presented thus far those who hate Gaelic games dislike it because we as a nation are not good at other sports. This is an absurd reason to hate a sport. Games like hurling and football are more than just games for a lot of Irish people, they are what make us unique, they are part of our culture and we would be much poorer as a country without them. By the sounds of it some people would prefer if we were just a clone of Britain with no discernable difference to set us apart.

Im surprised that your surprised. AH is know to be a haven for west-brit/loyalist types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Basketball
    ceegee wrote: »

A la the irish soccer team

Basketball
    Benhonan wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he was highlighting the ethos of the GAA, not it's economic worth. There are a lot of people on this thread who care hugely about the worth of things but cannot even comprehend their value.

Is the GAA more valuable than any other sporting organisation? Not to me. If it is why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

To say I hate any sport would be a bit harsh, hate is a very strong word.

I'd merely have no interest in watching or following things like cricket, American football, horse racing, horse related things, horsey type people, etc.

As for "I hate all sports" type people, they just remind me of this "emo" guy on my first day of college where we all had to stand up and introduce ourselves, and talk a little about ourselves.

He stood up and said "My name is x, I like music, I hate all sports".

Could never understand why he had to include that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't hate any sport on that list.

But I don't like greyhound racing and the associated cruelty it involves

Wow, a lot of hate for cricket. Have ye even watched a cricket match? And I'm not talking 10 minutes here and there.

Basketball
    xblaZe wrote: »
    Im surprised that your surprised. AH is know to be a haven for west-brit/loyalist types.

I'm not a west brit or a loyalist and yet I have no particular affinity to the GAA. Your narrow minded generalisations are not particularly welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rugby
    mikemac wrote: »
    I don't hate any sport on that list.

Horse racing is on the list. Surely thats more cruel than greyhound racing?

At least the dogs not have people on their backs wiping them...they have monkeys!!!

Gaelic Football
    mikemac wrote: »

Nothing is as cruel as having to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

American Football
    Des wrote: »
    Because Oirish people are only interested when a team they "support" is doing well.

Example. About 500-1100 people regularly attend Shelbourne league matches.

When they played Deportivo La Coruna in 2004 there were 24,000 people at the match "supporting" Shels.

Another example is the way fúck all people currently go to see the Irish football team play, because they are currently shíte, nobody wants to be associated with them.

Irish people are not sports fans. They are event junkies. They go to events so they can tell their mates in work the next day that they were there.

Another example is gah "fans" who couldn't give a fiddlers about the league games, but traipse en masse on Croke Park once or twice a summer. Especially "Dubs" and Kerry "supporters".

It's endemic in this country.

Look at the sudden rise in the Sunderland interest.

Idiots

Des,

That comment about the shels match is not a fair representation and you know it.
    I'm a Bray fan and was at that game and you know very well there was a good showing from league of Ireland fans at that game.

But lets not get onto the conversation about barstoolers and league of ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

baztard wrote: »
    So basically your saying New Zealand have a better rugby team than Ireland... and its the GAA's fault!!!!!

You've got some chip on your shoulder!

Not only do they have a better rugby team than Ireland, but they outperform us in almost every other sport too. It's undeniable that the GAA draws a lot of top Irish athletes. Whether it has a huge effect on other sports is debatable. Sports are sports. If it weren't for the GAA some kids wouldn't be involved in sports at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

American Football
    Basketball, Gaelic Football, Hurling, American Football and Horse racing (though I really don't class that as a sport)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tennis
    By the sounds of it some people would prefer if we were just a clone of Britain with no discernable difference to set us apart.

Nice United sig.

Gaelic Football
    snyper wrote: »
    You must have missed the whole 6 nations championship, Heiniken Cup, Magners League & churchill cup on the tele.

I'm only paraphrasing what others have been saying. People have been making vague generalisations that we would be better as a nation at tiddlywinks, darts etc etc if we didnt have the GAA which is debatable. I'm not saying we are ****e at all sports even if it came accross that way

• Advertisement

Tennis
    To be honest, I loathe the Gah but to say that they (or anybody else) have to be competitive internationally to qualify as a valid sport(s) is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hurling
    xblaZe wrote: »

And you managed to decide that after posting just once in AH having been a member of boards for barely two weeks??

or are you just a multi account

Gaelic Football
    stovelid wrote: »
    Nice United sig.

To be honest i dont think you are getting my point. Its perfectly fine to enjoy other sports, other cultures, other countries films etc etc. I dislike the begrudgers who believe that facets of Irish culture such as the GAA are not important just because other countries dont have them hence my reference to being clones of our neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Des wrote:
    Example. About 500-1100 people regularly attend Shelbourne league matches.

When they played Deportivo La Coruna in 2004 there were 24,000 people at the match "supporting" Shels.

I was at that game, and have never before or since attended a league of Ireland match.

I didn't go to support Shelbourne though, I went in hope of seeing a top class team get slain by a minnow really, and I would have went regardless of who the minnow were if the game was still played in Dublin.

Also it was nice to go and see top class players play in the "flesh" :D
    Des wrote:
    Another example is the way fúck all people currently go to see the Irish football team play, because they are currently shíte, nobody wants to be associated with them.

Because watching Ireland at the moment is a dreary, dreary affair. Being a "fan" is not a job, and primarily people go for entertainment.

Going to a match is something to do for the evening, something to buy a ticket for and look forward to for a few weeks, something to enjoy. Why would people pay inflated prices to watch shite?

Tennis
    Bob_Harris wrote: »

Going to a match is something to do for the evening, something to buy a ticket for and look forward to for a few weeks, something to enjoy. Why would people pay inflated prices to watch shite?

Agreed.

Rugby is where it's at now. At least they win stuff.

The soccer crowd need to buff up the old product if they're getting chaps like myself back through the turnstiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

American Football
    Agreed.

The soccer crowd need to buff up the old product if they're getting chaps like myself back through the turnstiles.

It's a vicious circle. Yes the league of ireland does need to improve facilities to entice the fans back but without the fans paying in the clubs just don't have the money to fork out for the infrastructure.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Take it to PM chaps. (You know who I am referring to as posts have been deleted.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Gaelic Football
    snyper wrote: »
    Misinformed poster is misinformed.

Its like football. The best or top elite are rich. But the masses involved are like the rest of us. There are thousands of ordinary joe soaps that own or part own race horses.. that never participate in elite events.. that been said.. yes, i hate the "sport" its as about as interesting as watching flies eat sh1t.

Rugby ftw
    :D
    Also, a lot of people just hate the GAA as an organisation. I don't mind the sport, but dispise the GAA.
    Agreed.

If we qualify for the World Cup it'll give soccer a big injection of interest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Cricket
    NZ may have a better rugby team and olympic athletes, but we still outperform them with passion for sport for sure. Went to see the All Blacks down there a couple of times and games V france, and Ireland, weren't even sold out at all. AWFUL supporters, no singing, they just sit there drinking Steinlager and talking to each other barely noticing the game!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Gaelic Football
    I love seeing New Zealand go out of the RWC, their fans are the worst losers in world sport

Advertisement