Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sport(s) do you hate?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Basketball
    baztard wrote: »
    So basically your saying New Zealand have a better rugby team than Ireland... and its the GAA's fault!!!!!

You've got some chip on your shoulder!

New Zealand has a better Rugby team that Ireland because they make better use of the resources at their disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

baztard wrote: »
    So basically your saying New Zealand have a better rugby team than Ireland... and its the GAA's fault!!!!!

You've got some chip on your shoulder!

i think what she is saying is the gaa get the lion share of funding and its not fair on other sports where with a bit more funding we could be even better at an international stage.The gaa if they had there way would ban rugby and football, i hate ther mindset the thomas davis tallaght stadium really turned me off them aswell as the pitch grab in kerry. they are the ones with the chip on their shoulders!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Hurling
    Benhonan wrote: »
    What an awful attitude - sport as a national export. We're not a communist country like China or the USSR, why does everything have to be measured in terms of international standings? Personally it means a lot more to me to see an excellent game of hurling played at any level than it does to see that Ireland Cricket or Showjumping team have jumped a few places in international rankings.

Because domestic victory means you are the best in your country, whereas international victory means you are the best in the world. Sports people by their very nature strive to attain the highest standards they can in order to win the greatest of honours. And we are not talking about Irish Cricket or Showjumping rising a few places in the world rankings, that type of underachivement is our lot now. We are talking about Ireland becoming a respected and tough nation of international competitors who can throw down their lot against other countries best and come away victorious, not just happy with competing as Ireland's squads and athletes so often are. What is sport but a method of testing yourself against others? Ireland's best are locked in an internal battle with each other instead of challanging other nations. For Ireland's true strength to be seen they need to be the ones who go toe to toe with the world's best.

And by the way, and awful attitude is in fact what is being displayed by the poll at the top of this thread. Cricket is an exciting and enjoyable sport for anyone who has made the effort to understand the rules. It resides at the top of this poll due to ignorance and a sense that it is in some way a british sport. Those days are long gone, cricket is an international sport whose center is more Antipodean than English at the moment, and is far from the crusty and boring sport which the uninitiated who assume they understand the game without ever giving it a chance would like you to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Horse Racing and Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Soccer
    This country would be so dull without the GAA. And who knows also still part of the UK too. The games enhance the athleticism of many of sports people (like Rob Kearney or Gordon Murphy) rather than take for them. Its like saying that learning Irish in school takes away from French when in fact it does the opposite. Or Boxers, Golfers, Jockeys and Rugby players are among the very best in the world. Very few countries of our size produce such a spectrum of talented sports people. We even have a decent cricket team now!

Compare our sports people to Scotland. They have no top class boxers, no top class golfers (currently) their rugby team is appalling. Their soccer team lost 4-0 to Norway recently and have not produced a world class soccer player in the vein of Roy Keane since the 80’s. No real presence in top class horse racing either. That’s Ireland without the GAA.

The GAA is the heartbeat of rural Ireland. I'm not sure I'd swap that for the occasional bronze medal the women’s triple jump for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

American Football
    real_red wrote: »
    Hate Gaelic football and hate the GAA..there's only so many tmes you can play the "its your county" card...zero skill involved in Gaelic football..

And i dispise people who call football "soccer" :mad:

zero skill? you are obviously a retard and any sort of debate with you is useless..
    btw why would anyone call football soccer? football is an Irish sport and soccer is an english one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cricket
    Because domestic victory means you are the best in your country, whereas international victory means you are the best in the world. Sports people by their very nature strive to attain the highest standards they can in order to win the greatest of honours. And we are not talking about Irish Cricket or Showjumping rising a few places in the world rankings, that type of underachivement is our lot now. We are talking about Ireland becoming a respected and tough nation of international competitors who can throw down their lot against other countries best and come away victorious, not just happy with competing as Ireland's squads and athletes so often are. What is sport but a method of testing yourself against others? Ireland's best are locked in an internal battle with each other instead of challanging other nations. For Ireland's true strength to be seen they need to be the ones who go toe to toe with the world's best.

While what you say is true, it's not the only reason.

In soccer, just getting to the World Cup finals is seen as a success. Got knocked out in the last 16 "but sure, didn't they do grand". It's this attitude that mediocrity is OK that has Irish sports in such a bad state, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cricket
    Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    This country would be so dull without the GAA. And who knows also still part of the UK too. The games enhance the athleticism of many of sports people (like Rob Kearney or Gordon Murphy) rather than take for them. Its like saying that learning Irish in school takes away from French when in fact it does the opposite. Or Boxers, Golfers, Jockeys and Rugby players are among the very best in the world. Very few countries of our size produce such a spectrum of talented sports people. We even have a decent cricket team now!

Compare our sports people to Scotland. They have no top class boxers, no top class golfers (currently) their rugby team is appalling. Their soccer team lost 4-0 to Norway recently and have not produced a world class soccer player in the vein of Roy Keane since the 80’s. No real presence in top class horse racing either. That’s Ireland without the GAA.

The GAA is the heartbeat of rural Ireland. I'm not sure I'd swap that for the occasional bronze medal the women’s triple jump for that.

Stopped reading at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Gaelic Football
    I respect the talent and dedication of all top sportsmen and women, but I think that GAA is a terrible drain on Irish sporting talent, and is a big part of the reason why Ireland constantly underachieves at events such as the Olympics. New Zealand, an island nation with a similar number of inhabitants to our own consistently produces teams and athletes who are more than capable of competing and indeed winning at an international level. Yes they recieve more funding than Irish sport and perhaps have a superiour gene pool when it comes to athletic performance, but unlike Ireland they do not have an anachronistic and insular national sport which takes the lion's share of the nations talent. Of course heritage and tradition are important, but not at the cost of international performance. That is why I loathe the GAA as an instituation.

Don't forget the biggest sport on the planet: football. New Zealand are rubbish, we're far better than them. Actually, a quick check in the world rankings, North Korea are ahead of them in the world rankings

Basketball
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    zero skill? you are obviously a retard and any sort of debate with you is useless..
    btw why would anyone call football soccer? football is an Irish sport and soccer is an english one.

Beautifully enlightened contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

American Football
    orourkeda wrote: »
    The fact that Ireland doesnt compete at an international in a lot of sports is no great surprise. All you have to do is look at how young kids are coached in football (This is just an example). Dublin has one of the strongest schoolboy set ups in Europe. It's indisputable that the talent is and always has been there but is not fulfilled due to poor coaching.

I dunno about Dublin but in Carlow we now have an excellent academy set up and you can see these players now coming through at under 20 level. Some fantastic talent. I don't think the coaching has ever been as good and it looks bright for the future IMO

Soccer
    Stopped reading at this point.

Although the formation of the organistation was a crucail part of the indepenacnce movement?

Obviously you can't handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Rugby
    Voted Cricket and Soccer. Though to be honest, it's not Soccer I hate, it's the attitude of the majority of players and some fans which make it unbearable to watch. I just get pissed off watching players roll along the ground pretending to cry.My friends, who are pretty big into soccer, said they heard of a teenager who was offered a contract worth £40000 a week to which he replied, 'How can I survive on that?' I don't know if it's true or not but it wouldn't surprise me. It would be a great game if players just got on with it and cut out all the diving/ bitching at the ref.

Cricket, well I just find that boring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

Banned.

Me I hate curling. Particularly women's olympic curling. Most other sports I can get vaguely interested in but not curling.

Basketball
    Quint wrote: »
    Don't forget the biggest sport on the planet: football. New Zealand are rubbish, we're far better than them. Actually, a quick check in the world rankings, North Korea are ahead of them in the world rankings

India is the second most populous nation on earth.

It is ranked outside the top 100 in the FIFA world rankings and won 3 medals at the Beiing Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

It is ranked outside the top 100 in the FIFA world rankings and won 3 medals at the Beiing Olympics.

yea but come on, lets face it its india ffs:)

Basketball

(1) Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Champion
    (2) Ireland has a presence in Top Class Racing
    (3) The Irish Rugby Team defending Grand slam champions
    (4) The irish soccer team is in contention for world cup qualification
    (5) Irish Boxing competitive at amateur level but not som much at professional level

Ireland without the GAA is better than scotland.

Soccer

Rubbish at Camogie too.

Basketball
    major bill wrote: »
    yea but come on, lets face it its india ffs:)

Population should not be an excuse or a barrier to sporting success at an international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cricket
    Although the formation of the organistation was a crucail part of the indepenacnce movement?

Obviously you can't handle that.

No it wasn't.

• Advertisement

Basketball
    Rubbish at Camogie too.

Yeah. Handball and hurling are suffering too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

Rugby

And by the way, and awful attitude is in fact what is being displayed by the poll at the top of this thread. Cricket is an exciting and enjoyable sport for anyone who has made the effort to understand the rules. It resides at the top of this poll due to ignorance and a sense that it is in some way a british sport. Those days are long gone, cricket is an international sport whose center is more Antipodean than English at the moment, and is far from the crusty and boring sport which the uninitiated who assume they understand the game without ever giving it a chance would like you to believe

So sport, to you, is entirely about getting one over on the neighbours? Being "the best in the world?" So to you having world class darts, drafts and billiards players (nothing against those sports, they're just not my cup of tea) is far better than an excellent domestic game like hurling or handball being played to a huge standard? This to me is the attitude of someone who cannot appreciate the beauty of sport. It's a cynical attitude that upholds bragging rights and podium position over the inherent value of sports, international and domestic.

Soccer
    (1) Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Champion
    (2) Ireland has a presence in Top Class Racing
    (3) The Irish Rugby Team defending Grand slam champions
    (4) The irish soccer team is in contention for world cup qualification
    (5) Irish Boxing competitive at amateur level but not som much at professional level

Ireland without the GAA is better than scotland.

Exactly. So the GAA is obviously not hampering our ability to compete in other sports.

BTW: Bernard Dunne might argue with you about #5.

Soccer
    No it wasn't.

Yes it was.

I like this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SarahChambers

Hurling
    So sport, to you, is entirely about getting one over on the neighbours? Being "the best in the world?" So to you having world class darts, drafts and billiards players (nothing against those sports, they're just not my cup of tea) is far better than an excellent domestic game like hurling or handball being played to a huge standard? This to me is the attitude of someone who cannot appreciate the beauty of sport. It's a cynical attitude that upholds bragging rights and podium position over the inherent value of sports, international and domestic.

To reduce the honour of being the ranked as the best in the world at any sport to mere bragging rights is patently absurd. I mentioned the Olympics in my original post, and it is simply obtuse to argue that I am favouring sports like darts drafts and billiards. I appreciate the beauty of sport, but I also appreciate the incredible prestige associated with Irish Olympic gold medals, and I am saddened by the fact that this most glorious of sporting honours could visit our shores much more frequently if it weren't for the GAA and the amount of athletic ability which it takes from these endevours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Cricket
    ...is far better than an excellent domestic game like hurling or handball being played to a huge standard?

But it's not at a "huge standard". It takes in so much money, and none of the players are pro.

Basketball

Isnt it the essence of any sporting discipline for an individual or team to compete at the highest standard that their talent allows them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Hurling
    GAA

Love football and cricket and can watch or at least appreciate what's involved in the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

The gaa if they had there way would ban rugby and football

Really, you honestly believe that? Your talking some amount of rubbish.
    I hate ther mindset the thomas davis tallaght stadium really turned me off them aswell as the pitch grab in kerry. they are the ones with the chip on their shoulders!!!

The kerry pitch incident was shameful. Does the GAA lending Croke park to the FAI and IRFU whilst they have no stadium themselves turn you back on them ?

Like most people who truely hate any sport, your just jumping on some tribal bandwagon. I love rubgy so I must hate gaa, I love gaa so I must hate soccer blah blah. Get over it.

• Advertisement

Basketball
    mickos wrote: »
    I dunno about Dublin but in Carlow we now have an excellent academy set up and you can see these players now coming through at under 20 level. Some fantastic talent. I don't think the coaching has ever been as good and it looks bright for the future IMO

Thats whats going to make the difference. There are far too many people involved in coaching that dont know what they're doing. Once this changes so will standards and results

Advertisement