Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The SF3 v SF4 thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I do pretty much okay against Ramza and I only picked the game up maybe 8 months ago in any kind of serious way. Getting battered by Tin at 3s is honestly the most fun I've ever had at a SF game as well.

Farz that's a fair enough opinion, I don't understand what you're saying about the hitboxes though... the ones in SF4 are far more ****ed imo!

To me ST is much, much more fun. 3S lost me when someone killed me with a dizzy combo from 100% health. Despite knowing this can happen in ST, no one has ever managed it on me.

I don't like the parry system. I know it's a totally different dynamic but I guess it's just old fashioned me. I know it's not BAD... just not fun for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I find ST more fun too, a lot more fun.

100% combos are a lot more likely in ST than 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm also in the camp of "Ramza's whoring of high-priority normals has made me realise how horrid this game can be."

:(:confused:

Anyway, back to this discussion, I've had more time to sit down with SFIV. I think it is a fun game and a good addition to the series, Although I am not great with the game like I said I can't seem to find the time to try and seriously improve or reach the level I know I can (too much 3s practice the last months maybe, who knows)

I will always love 3s. Tied with ST for best FG ever. I play a tonne of FG and 3s is just the bes for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

For me SF4 > SF3, simply because I can play SF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I enjoyed not playing SFIV at DoC, 3s and ST most fun I've had SF wise in awhile.

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Nice to see you post the above, Ramza. No offense but the anti-SF4 crusades of yore were really grating ;)

We can all accept it's far from the perfect rendition of Street Fighter, but it is a boat load of fun for professionals and casuals and it seems like it'll be with us for quite a while.

I've never played 3S so I won't compare it but I will say that having spent so many years as both a gamer and a gaming-viewer I really enjoy seeing both games in motion. To try and compare such different games would be futile in some lights. Bare in mind that if SF4+ is really a re-imagining of StreetFighter 2 then I'd be curious to see Capcom re-imagine 3S in the future - Until then, enjoy both for what they are.

I've just sorted out my Emulators as well as bothered to plug in a Pad I bought months ago - Might relive yesteryear while I'm waiting for SSF4 on PC... Mmmm, the channel could do with some SF2 Poop! :rolleyes:

None taken. Well to be honest I feel I may have articulated my arguments in the wrong fashion, maybe came across as a little arrogant or self righteous.

My opinion and arguments that were posted numerous times about the game still remain intact but everyone is entitled to their opinion

At the end of the day they are all different games, people are going to have differing tastes, you can't avoid that.. But it is Street Fighter and that's all that matters. I'm not crazy about the game, like you guys know, but still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Scenes like this is why SFII is a dud game to me. Have no interest in it at all. That's not to say i didn't enjoy playing it on the snes though.

Unfortunately i never got a chance to play 3rd strike online (could never connect to 2df etc) so i was never competitive.

If you whiff a fierce Dp you deserve to get punished. However that situation is pretty unlikely to occur in a real match because of the random dizzy element in ST (hence why it was recorded). Not playing a game because you're afraid of a move dizzying you once every 100 games is silly :pac:

If you whiff a fierce Dp you deserve to get punished.

Getting punished is one thing, but losing the entire round because of a it?! Also, the very fact that it has a random dizzy element isn't very logical.

That was a joke, but as I said, considering it's really unlikely to happen (compounded with the fact that that's a mash move so it's even harder to get the dizzy) I don't have a problem with it. I actually think the unpredictability is one of the great things about ST

• Advertisement

I actually think the unpredictability is one of the great things about ST

Mathematicians don't like unpredictability :D

Its very hard to predict!

animaX wrote: »
    Scenes like this is why SFII is a dud game to me. Have no interest in it at all. That's not to say i didn't enjoy playing it on the snes though.

Unfortunately i never got a chance to play 3rd strike online (could never connect to 2df etc) so i was never competitive.

Terry someone effectively did that to me in 3S and it wasn't random. It's part of the game.

Given it was character specific and it was Tin, but I'd rather take the random tbh.

Terry someone (Tin) effectively did that to me in 3S and it wasn't random. It's part of the game.

Well he also killed my love for 3rd strike so we're in agreement there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah I dont like the unpredictable stuff either, its like missing a block string in IV and eating a full ultra because of it, regardless of the skill level of the defending player all he has to do is mash away and randoms ultra or super for the win (or at least get them right back in the round).

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Yeah I dont like the unpredictable stuff either, its like missing a block string in IV and eating a full ultra because of it, regardless of the skill level of the defending player all he has to do is mash away and randoms ultra or super for the win (or at least get them right back in the round).

That's not unpredictable in the game engine sense, that's your fault for dropping the combo/using an unsafe blockstring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I know but its a pretty heavy punish for the sake of a dropped link thats all, i'm just bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

If you know/suspect that they mash, drop the link on purpose and punish. They'll either stop or you win with the punishes.

Hell for great comedy, do the combo, drop the link and block, they DP, punish with the same combo, drop the link and block, they DP, you repeat ad infinitum.

Orim wrote: »
    If you know/suspect that they mash, drop the link on purpose and punish. They'll either stop or you win with the punishes.

Hell for great comedy, do the combo, drop the link and block, they DP, punish with the same combo, drop the link and block, they DP, you repeat ad infinitum.

Nah, there's method to cobelcogs mashing :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Orim wrote:

Risk reward is still in the favour of characters with DP's because they normally get ultra's set up from them. Adon, Cammy, Ken, Ryu, Sagat, Seth can all have a free safe attempt at an ultra if they have 2 bars of meter.

With 2 bars of meter it doesn't matter if they where baited they can't be punished. Even without meter you going have to punish them at least twice if not more to make up the damage they would get off a single DP FADC Ultra. Cammy also has annoying habit of going over your head if your crouchingand being only punishable with a single hit.

Frustrating at times when you drop a tight-ish link for not a whole of damage and take massive damage for it. But thats the name of the game for non DP characters.

You can bait a few reversals out but after a few a good opponent will mix up between mashing out a reversal and waiting. So some times your bait will let you opponent out of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

@ farz

I can't believe what I'm reading:eek::(

@ Terry

You really missed out man, re not playing 3s online. I had such a blast playing that game. Your pretty decent at it for someone with little pvp experience.

@ Doom, what combo was this your talking about anyway? I'm not really sure what your saying. But like you (someone who doesn't know the game well) playing Tin (someone who's beast at the game) and getting beaten badly and comparing it to the random dizzies in ST and saying you'd prefer random dizzies just sounds mental to me.

Chances are whatever Tin did to you was avoidable but just required more knowledge of the game , one wrong block there and a mis timed cross up block, with missed reversal opportunity etc etc I don't think I've experienced someone killing me with a dizzy combo from 100% health , but if I have it'd be cause the guy was much better at the game then me and I made some mistakes, not cause thats the way 3s is.

Anyway I still love the game, it was great playing tin but I regret not being able to play him properly as I can;t play 3s at all anymore.

Playing sf4 and moving to stick has killed my ability to play 3s. I was worse at fighting games in general back when I could play 3s but I was better at 3s :p

I can't even dragon punch in 3s anymore. :(

But I still love the game and do plan to re-learn it sometime. I'll always love 3rd strike

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    . Your pretty decent at it for someone with little pvp experience.

@ Doom, what combo was this your talking about anyway? I'm not really sure what your saying. But like you (someone who doesn't know the game well) playing Tin (someone who's beast at the game) and getting beaten badly and comparing it to the random dizzies in ST and saying you'd prefer random dizzies just sounds mental to me.

Chances are whatever Tin did to you was avoidable but just required more knowledge of the game , one wrong block there and a mis timed cross up block, with missed reversal opportunity etc etc I don't think I've experienced someone killing me with a dizzy combo from 100% health , but if I have it'd be cause the guy was much better at the game then me and I made some mistakes, not cause thats the way 3s is.

No he told me straight up, Makoto can kill remy off the back of one command grab. Nothing Remy can do once it lands.

And as for random dizzies- I have played thousands of hours of SF2 in various iterations and I have not once been instantly dizied.

Yeah in the case of Makoto having meter and SA2 vs Remy it's lights out for Remy I'm afraid. He has poor stamina and a really low stun meter. It's also a perfectly real situation like Doom is saying. One karakusa and your dead

Xinkai wrote: »
    Besides, 3s is fun, but it's complete & utter shoite and well you all know this or should anyways.

Never_go_full_retard.jpg

Azza wrote: »
    I think they really need to make reversals harder to do on wakeup. Make the windows for inputting a reversal much much shorter.
    Auto correct needs to die, I hate being nailed by shoryuken or ex.torpedo that was never going to hit me if it can out in the direction inputted.

At times though the defensive nature of the game annoys me. Attacking play is far less safe than just turtling.

Yeah Azza I agree. Also wanted to quote your post where you said something about the defensive nature of the game sometimes frustrating you? When I talk of some reasons I dislike the game these are the ones I mean. It's middle of the road for me

No he told me straight up, Makoto can kill remy off the back of one command grab. Nothing Remy can do once it lands.

And as for random dizzies- I have played thousands of hours of SF2 in various iterations and I have not once been instantly dizied.
    Ramza wrote: »
    Yeah in the case of Makoto having meter and SA2 vs Remy it's lights out for Remy I'm afraid. He has poor stamina and a really low stun meter. It's also a perfectly real situation like Doom is saying. One karakusa and your dead

Ah I see, its a match up thing. She has to have meter and a particular super selected though.

But yeah match ups was never 3s's strong point. And neither was remy tbh lol

Sisko wrote: »
    Ah I see, its a match up thing. She has to have meter and a particular super selected though

She only needs one

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

What frustrates me are things that beat me, like playing defensive is lameness in the extreme when it beats me but when I play defensively and it works then its sheer brilliance!

What frustrates me are things that beat me, like playing defensive is lameness in the extreme when it beats me but when I play defensively and it works then its sheer brilliance!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

It's dead funny that a week ago, we were effectively putting SFIII to bed and now it's new (Juan) sheet all over again....!!!

:D:confused::D

We? Never

• Advertisement
Advertisement