Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Love Dublin!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I hate seeing those minnows out in Leixlip wearing Dublin jerseys, lrn 2 geography.

Though at the same time, I suppose its hard to blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't we all just STFU love each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If you loved it that much you'd call it "town" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Its overpriced, overcrowded and its impossible to get a taxi on a night out. Roads are a disaster and there is junkies all around the city centres. Its also ugly and recently has lost the charm of the people. As a city I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The best thing about Dublin are some of the people, you do meet some gems but of late that has changed as people become more money obsessive.

Impossible to get a taxi :confused:, obviously been a while since you were out in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

2 years since I lived up there. I avoid it like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I used to think I just don't like big towns, and so that's why I didn't like Dublin, but then I lived in New York and loved it. Dublin is badly planned, badly congested and it's fúcking filthy.

However, one thing I have to disagree with a lot of posters on is the people. For the most part they are great craic and some of the most genuine and friendly people you could meet. Sure, there are plenty of scumbags and whathaveyou but every town and city in the country has that problem.

We're all Irish at the end of the day.

Edit: Well, most of us are Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

deccurley wrote: »
    I used to think I just don't like big towns, and so that's why I didn't like Dublin, but then I lived in New York and loved it. Dublin is badly planned, badly congested and it's fúcking filthy.

However, one thing I have to disagree with a lot of posters on is the people. For the most part they are great craic and some of the most genuine and friendly people you could meet. Sure, there are plenty of scumbags and whathaveyou but every town and city in the country has that problem.

We're all Irish at the end of the day.

Edit: Well, most of us are Irish
    Agree with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

35notout wrote: »
    So what county does it belong to then? And how come we still have 32 counties (albeit 26 and 6 for the moment)

It's balkanised into Dublin city, Fingal, Dun Laoighaire-Rathdown and Dublin South. Some maps show this (I think google maps does) whereas others use the traditional 32 counties. It's a bit like England where they have traditional counties (that no one agrees on) and administrative ones that are sometimes arbitrary. For GAA, posting letters to non-DPD addresses and for the time being car registrations, it's one county.

Obviously real people talk about County Dublin, just like we talk about things like "Ireland" and "Europe" that mean different but well defined things depending on the context. I would consider myself pretty isolated from Malahide though, much less than somewhere in good old county DLR. I think there's a good few counties that are officially split (or merged?) like this. Wikipedia says there's 29 counties in the south, and the counties in the north aren't political entities in the UK, they have a whole load of districts.
    I hate seeing those minnows out in Leixlip wearing Dublin jerseys, lrn 2 geography.

There's a line they always give about half the town being in Dublin, and it always happens to be the half they live in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

ScumLord wrote: »

It was probably your Dublin accent that got you searched. I've never been searched or even seen anyone being searched going into a nightclub or pub in Galway.

gpo nightclub(if its still there) in city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭petrochemical

1. Move the junkie/homeless centres OUT of the city centre. No more junkies embarassing us to the tourists.
    2. WASH the streets/buildings at low level everyday. Sprayjet throughout the centre, not just a half-assed job in Templebar.
    3. Rejuvenate the shabby O'Connell bridge area like O'Connell St.
    4. Watercannon all teenage working class scum hanging around, get their smell off the streets.
    5. Active denial/Tazer all unions at their AGMs. Nip it in the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I lived in Dublin for a year and I do think it gets a fair bit of harsh criticism but ye did unleash Bono on us so I guess thats karma :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

major bill wrote: »
    gpo nightclub(if its still there) in city center

gpo is still there, they get alot of undesirables there, people like knacker dwarf frequent the place and steal your drinks when you put them down, so they have to be careful, never searched there myself but was turned away one night for wearing white runners :mad: turned away from gpo, oh the shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I love Dublin except for all those Roma beggars, graffiti, stuck up Irish SATC women, the Luas with everyone looking at you, (can't they stick posters on those windows?), those stupid bicycles which will soon be upon us, the fact that every street is a hill, broken pavement stones, those stupid human statues, chuggers, the lack of decent cafés, those table and chairs outside restaurants blocking up the footpath, tourists taking your photo, non-nationals working in shops who can't print out receipts from the till, stag/hen groups, and Dave McSavage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

you'd actually want to be on something to think Dublin is a nice place. My major problem in 6 months of living there, was that most of the people were c*nts! obviously not all but a majority! thats stemming out from the fact that im from Limerick. I met some sound people up there but most were assholes. Give me Limerick any day...

funny thing is, the only time I got any trouble was off a bunch of D4s when I was on the DART. they were on the opposite platform waiting for their train and started slagging me for no reason. If only a few of the boys were around they wouldnt be long shuttin up... :mad::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

the Luas with everyone looking at you, (can't they stick posters on those windows?)
    What a strange thing to be annoyed about, I love it! Though you do sum up everything I dislike about Dublin. It's a nice city but as a rather elderly and bitter old wagon would say 'it has notions'.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Take the luas to the dublin forum please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement