Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Gateway Building

Options
  • 14-08-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

= The New IT building on Western Road, for those wondering WTF 'WGB' is on the new timetables!

Was in there the other day, pretty savage inside, mainly post-grad offices along with the Computer Science and Math Science departments. Don't think there will be an open access computer lab for students other than Maths and Computer science as the only labs that are there at the moment are specifically for the aforementioned students. There was no printing facility there as of yesterday, I'm sure this will arrive as soon as college starts.

Restaurant not open yet but will be a big plus for students living in the likes of Victoria Mills and University hall (here's hoping its decent food!) :D

The Journey time to Brookfield from Victoria Cross has been halved since the new bridge link finally opened!

AFAIK, only 3 floors of the building have been furnished, with the remaining 2 to be completed when funding becomes available (10+ years considering the colleges' current financial state!) :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Looking forward to moving in there :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I was wondering that all right, looking at the timetable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There is also a rooftop cafe, which isn't done yet but will hopefully be open before the two top floors are furnished. Its a pretty nice building al-right (along with teh new building smell :P ).

AFAIK as the OP said there is no general access computer labs, and no plans for one either. There is also no wireless access for laptops, but that should come eventually (You have no idea how closely they are watching the network here atm, just a warning to returning students).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Looking forward to moving in there in September. Half my classes will be there, with the other half in the Kane. There was a thread with photos of the new building made a while back: here
    Same As wrote: »
    AFAIK, only 3 floors of the building have been furnished, with the remaining 2 to be completed when funding becomes available (10+ years considering the colleges' current financial state!) :pac:

I read somewhere that the President wants to take the top floor and put a nightclub up there! :D That rumour may not be entirely accurate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've been working in there for a month now.
    It's a fantastic building. my only complaints are that they've only opened the toilets on the ground floor, and the non stop beeping of various alarms is really annoying.

It's brilliant how much light and air is in the place - specially compared to the Kane building. They're opening at least some of the 3rd floor for cancer research, and the 4th is being left empty. I've heard if you turn up with 10 million you can have it.

The ground floor lecture theatres look nice - I didn't get to try the seats but they look dead comfy. I didn't think the top floor "scenic restaurant" was opening at all, but I could be wrong (I hope I am).

The Centra down by Victoria Cross is less than 5 minutes walk, so it's almost better served than we were on campus.

Once the shop in the building and the ground floor canteen open we'll be laughing.

Wireless is around October I think, so basically for the start of term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

deRanged wrote: »
    The ground floor lecture theatres look nice - I didn't get to try the seats but they look dead comfy.

A Few of us took the liberty of testing em out, - they look just as comfy as they are! :D

Gutted I won't be in there much/at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

A Few of us took the liberty of testing em out, - they look just as comfy as they are! :D

Oh no, I'm never going to be able to stay awake in my morning lectures now!

I can't wait to see the new building, I'm leaving it until practically my first day back though, I want it to be a nice surprise

Gutted I won't be in there much/at all!

if I'm ever in there I'll be at the front standing up :(
    Oh no, I'm never going to be able to stay awake in my morning lectures now!
    watching people like you sleep :)

I must take a few more photos now that the place is starting to take shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

I read somewhere that the President wants to take the top floor and put a nightclub up there! :D That rumour may not be entirely accurate though.

Haha ok im not sure where you read that but funnily enough it was me that the president said that to! He was obviously joking though, his point was that he wished to keep as much entertainment on-campus as possible this year to help reduce the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Knasher wrote: »
    There is also a rooftop cafe, which isn't done yet but will hopefully be open before the two top floors are furnished. Its a pretty nice building al-right (along with teh new building smell :P ).

AFAIK as the OP said there is no general access computer labs, and no plans for one either. There is also no wireless access for laptops, but that should come eventually (You have no idea how closely they are watching the network here atm, just a warning to returning students).
    What are they looking out for watching the network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I'd assume downloading from rapidshare, megaupload etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sepulchrave

I heard on UCC Forum that there is going to be assigned seating for students in the computer labs, does anyone know if that is true?

I very much doubt the assigned seating - I'll check it tomorrow and see.

I checked out one of the small lecture theaters this morning. fair play if ye can sleep there.

3832483987_4d2091fb4e.jpg

3833277826_5ed52dce9b.jpg

they look well kitted out in terms of AV, whiteboards and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Looks like a nice building.....but am baffled as to why I have two lectures in there....Early Childhood Studies student....they really dont care where they stick us, over in the CEC one minute, Northside Primary School the next then the WGT, hopefully they change it! Sigh lots of walking for me in Janurary, well it starts in September to brookfield for my placement, Im gonna be shattered!

God almighty that lecture room, it's horrendous! Maybe it look's better in real life than in the pictures deRanged?

Thanks for the pics :) Any of the CS undergrad labs?

Looks like a nice building.....but am baffled as to why I have two lectures in there....Early Childhood Studies student....they really dont care where they stick us, over in the CEC one minute, Northside Primary School the next then the WGT, hopefully they change it! Sigh lots of walking for me in Janurary, well it starts in September to brookfield for my placement, Im gonna be shattered!
    Actuall the wgb makes alot of sense for you, there is a foot bridge between your main building and the new one. So its really very close for you.

Speaking of AV, was passing by one of the computer labs and there seams to be two projectors in each of them. Complete overkill, but what the hell. The new pcs look really nice aswell, core 2 duo's with very large monitors.

the canteen opened yesterday. seems small but we'll see.
    from the menu - chips|water|energy drink 1€, chips, beans & sausage 3€, and there were 4 and 6 euro student specials. they have a fancy looking bean to cup coffee machine too.
    MJJOS wrote:
    Maybe it look's better in real life than in the pictures deRanged?
    eh, no. looks just like that. the main one might be nicer though - it's got tiered seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Actuall the wgb makes alot of sense for you, there is a foot bridge between your main building and the new one. So its really very close for you.

Speaking of AV, was passing by one of the computer labs and there seams to be two projectors in each of them. Complete overkill, but what the hell. The new pcs look really nice aswell, core 2 duo's with very large monitors.

The projecters they put in are Full HD capable and the machines in the lecture podiums have blu-ray drives. Movie night anyone?? :)

The meeting rooms in each research area have a huge plasma tv, sound system and blu-ray player

This really should be called the overkill building, so much money gone into it

Ok, they have just kicked the overkill up a notch. Just noticed that they have put a television at the foot of the stairs, kinda like you would see in a airport (or a company cafeteria, for showing company propaganda). No idea what exactly they plan on showing there, but wow.

I know this building was paid for long before the recession, and will hopefully survive long after. So I'm willing to understand that everything will be a little over the top in terms of equipment. But this is getting a little crazy at this point.

• Advertisement

Ok, they have just kicked the overkill up a notch. Just noticed that they have put a television at the foot of the stairs, kinda like you would see in a airport (or a company cafeteria, for showing company propaganda). No idea what exactly they plan on showing there, but wow.

Wow, sounds like they are trying to compete with CIT, I paid a visit to a friend there some months ago, they also have flat screen TV's hanging from the ceiling in their students union building showing Sky News hehe :P

Ok, they have just kicked the overkill up a notch. Just noticed that they have put a television at the foot of the stairs, .

looks like there's one on each floor, wired for sound as well.
    I've no idea what they're for. I've already checked and they have inputs suitable for a wii. lovely open space too - ideal for wii tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

im looking forward to starting my course there.

as for the over kill. to be fair lads... it is the building for the comp geeks (such as myself). we like technology

I think the point they are making is that it is not really important. Sure we love the tech, but the money may have been better spent. Last year when I went in to a lab in Block E FSB, the computer took 25 minutes to start before I was able to do anything, and my friends had already completed the lab sheet! I thought the department was €1.5 million (according to Derek Bridge, maybe I misheard) in debt? WGB cost more than budgeted and now they are putting in pointless TV's?!

I actually went into the building today, it was fantastic! I can't wait to go back! I especially can't wait for fast computers :) It did however seem kind of dark. Maybe they don't turn on so many lights at the weekend? I was shocked by it's sheer size though! I went into one of the lecture rooms and the seats were black in that rooom, not red thank God!
    looks like there's one on each floor, wired for sound as well.
    I've no idea what they're for. I've already checked and they have inputs suitable for a wii. lovely open space too - ideal for wii tennis.

Maybe they could have a tournament to celebrate the opening? Does anyone know if there will be some formal opening ceremony with "famous people"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Haru

I checked out one of the small lecture theaters this morning. fair play if ye can sleep there.

Ah you never know what can happen on a monday morning or when rooms are over heated... :D

Might be hard to sleep without getting caught though.

The building looks really good imo. Damn those "computer geeks", so lucky !

I thought the department was €1.5 million (according to Derek Bridge, maybe I misheard) in debt?
    it was - from what I've heard that's mostly fixed. though the entire university is still not looking financially healthy.

It did however seem kind of dark. Maybe they don't turn on so many lights at the weekend?
    it's a 'smart' building - the lights turn themselves off automatically. as you walk down those dark corridors they light up. it's a pain in the ass in the offices - the light over my desk refuses to work at all.
    Does anyone know if there will be some formal opening ceremony with "famous people"?

you can be sure that some politicians will be down for a photo op at some stage. I expect a minister at the very least. there was already a minister down for the turning of the sod a while ago.

the lab machines should be a hell of a lot faster - there's been a major overhaul of the networking and server setups. I expect good things.

That all sounds good deRanged thank you!

Hope they get someone in to fix the light above your desk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm starting night classes in this building tomorrow, is it in the main UCC campus or somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

siblers wrote: »
    I'm starting night classes in this building tomorrow, is it in the main UCC campus or somewhere else?

On Western Rd. - across from the AIB, next to Vic Mills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭siblers

This may seem like a right daft question, but how do you get the barriers open in the carp park? Do you like swipre your student card?

Advertisement