Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Gateway Building

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

siblers wrote: »
    This may seem like a right daft question, but how do you get the barriers open in the carp park? Do you like swipre your student card?

You either press the intercom and give them a really really good reason why they should open it for you(but just being a student wont work) and yeah staff have a swipe thing for it. The car park isnt for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JohnyDarko

siblers wrote: »
    This may seem like a right daft question, but how do you get the barriers open in the carp park? Do you like swipre your student card?

You have to be really... coy. :rolleyes:

You can drive in(and out) through the gap by the exit barrier and the bar meant to be stopping people driving out without paying or through some empty spaces if people haven't taken them, but that'd be immoral and probably illegal, so don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

So staff have to pay the exit fee?

Also, does anyone know where i can find a photocopier in wgb, or even a scanner thats not in the departmental office?
    i know a photocopying room exists in the building but security said its staff only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

teddy b123 wrote: »
    So staff have to pay the exit fee?

Also, does anyone know where i can find a photocopier in wgb, or even a scanner thats not in the departmental office?
    i know a photocopying room exists in the building but security said its staff only

Im open to correction on this but the parking fee's only kick in after 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Im open to correction on this but the parking fee's only kick in after 7pm.

here's the correction :)

Parking in WGB always costs €2 - it's an exit charge. You have to be staff to come in during office hours, and we all pay to exit.
    At weekends you can get in and out for free.

The new €2 exit charge in the evenings applies to car parks that didn't have the exit charge in the first place - like main campus or the geography building. Staff can use their swipe keys to get out of those car parks.

There are no public access photocopiers or scanners in the building that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

deRanged wrote: »
    At weekends you can get in and out for free.

Are students allowed park there at weekends and leave their car there for the week?

Are students allowed park there at weekends and leave their car there for the week?

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ddubs

Did anyone else hear about the chinese lad who spent 4 months living in one of the unused rooms on the upper floors last year?

They only found out the morning after "the flood" when they went in the next morning to look at damage and there was this lad standing on the stairs.

He had a nice little set up apparently a blow up bed kettle n stuff. From what i heard he was in a bad way lookin for accomodation and kipped there one night and it took off from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tissot

ddubs wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear about the chinese lad who spent 4 months living in one of the unused rooms on the upper floors last year?

They only found out the morning after "the flood" when they went in the next morning to look at damage and there was this lad standing on the stairs.

He had a nice little set up apparently a blow up bed kettle n stuff. From what i heard he was in a bad way lookin for accomodation and kipped there one night and it took off from there.

Now that sounds like a large load of rubbish!

There has always been traffic on the upper floors. Maintenance men, security etc - would find it very hard to believe if they didn't come across this dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Would be unreal though. Nice view from the very top I'd say.

• Advertisement

and theres showers on the first floor :O

think im gonna get my accomodation in wgb next year, ive my eye on one of the empty offices on the ground floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

where on the first floor are the showers? never saw them

Theyre in the corridor that has the maths science department

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

ddubs wrote: »

That is bull, i was in the westgate from the day it opened to until September of this year and for 3months of that i was tracing lan cable in every room of the building (had to enter every room for cataloging pusposes and i can tell you its bullshit. Besides every room has sensors for alarms and its all armed at night.

The top floor even has an alarm at the moment if you try to enter it will go off, i know because i set it off.
    Also the showers are not for use by students you have to be staff and they are swipe access from the building admin dep not the CS dept or maths.

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Would be unreal though. Nice view from the very top I'd say.

there is. I got up there while they were building it.

2567597417_10d2f40b14.jpg
    roof with a view by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Also the showers are not for use by students you have to be staff and they are swipe access from the building admin dep not the CS dept or maths.

yeah i figured that, tried accessing it and got the multiple beeps of dissapointment

wonder is it ever used?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

teddy b123 wrote: »
    yeah i figured that, tried accessing it and got the multiple beeps of dissapointment

wonder is it ever used?

As I understood the showers were part of the pharmacology Dept and were in place in the event of a chemical spill where people would need to wash asap

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

x43r0 wrote: »
    As I understood the showers were part of the pharmacology Dept and were in place in the event of a chemical spill where people would need to wash asap

not quite, each lab has its own chemical shower in case of emergency which look something like this :
    shower_eyewash.jpg

Those showers in the hall are just showers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Does anyone know if any of the computer labs in the western gate are open during the weekend? I have alot of matlab back project to do and it would be crap if I walked all the 40 minute journey there to find it was closed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yup, WGB (and all the labs) are open from 9am to 10:30pm Saturday and Sunday.

http://timetable.ucc.ie/openhours/westerngateway.htm

Maths and Computer Science folks seemingly have no lives. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Yup, WGB (and all the labs) are open from 9am to 10:30pm Saturday and Sunday.

http://timetable.ucc.ie/openhours/westerngateway.htm

Maths and Computer Science folks seemingly have no lives. :pac:

Is that why we still haven't met for coffee?? Why do you do this to me??? WHY!?!?!?!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 danieljm

wonder is it ever used?[/QUOTE]

ya ive seen one of my lectures who cycles into college coming out of them.

why not just use the maradyke....just across the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Byron85 wrote: »
    Is that why we still haven't met for coffee?? Why do you do this to me??? WHY!?!?!?!? ;)

I am scared of you, that's why! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I am scared of you, that's why! :p

I'm not some thundering behemoth of a man! A thundering bastard yes.

Advertisement