Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new IT building

Options
  • 11-06-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭

I was on a site visit to the new IT building yesterday , and I brought my camera. This will you an idea of the style and layout of the building. I should be able to go again in a couple of months and get better shots of the interior as they start to fit it out.

2568436188_ed6ca7573a.jpg
    2568431032_2a5eebdee8.jpg

more here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

It opens around christmas i think. Just when i finish my degree :) Should be massively impressive, is already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The hand over to UCC is scheduled for Jan 12 2009. Commissioning the interior will take a fair while, then it'll be fully open for business from that September.

I was on a tour of the building again this week, and took some photographs of the insides of the building.

This is the main lecture hall:
    3012958118_05356537c5.jpg

There's lots of space and light in the main corridor:
    3012119491_6be91929c7.jpg

plus plenty of gardens/atrium spaces for more light inside the building:
    3012122163_88e8b33364.jpg

if you're thinking about a post grad you'll be in an office like this:
    3012120965_ca01994f2b.jpg

more here, I can't wait to move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Looks very nice! Thanks for those shots :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Enjoy those photo's all. That money pit is one of the main reasons UCC is pushing so hard for the reintroduction of fee's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

deRanged wrote: »

There's lots of space and light in the main corridor:
    3012119491_6be91929c7.jpg

This bit looks very like CSIS in UL. ALmost identical really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

What departments/faculties are going there? I assume its those departments currently holed up in the Kane building at the moment like computer science.

D-Generate wrote: »
    What departments/faculties are going there?
    That I know of : Computer Science, Maths, App. Maths, Stats, Biomedical, Micro electronic engineering. There's probably more, I just pay attention to Computer Science. Not all are from the Kane, there's going to be a fairly major change around next year.

440Hz wrote:
    This bit looks very like CSIS in UL. ALmost identical really
    Probably the same architects! I doubt there's all that many people that work on buildings like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Micro-Elec are moving in there? Damnit, i have had to walk down to the Butler Building for the past 4 years and now they move when I'm about to leave the place. Can't believe they are moving to a new building, there is only two full time lecturers who work out of the Butler building and one of those is set to retire soon. There is a rediculous amount of post-grads there though.

Probably the same architects! I doubt there's all that many people that work on buildings like this one.

Yeah, most likely!

Oh ps, I finally made it to my desk ;)

• Advertisement

440Hz wrote: »
    Yeah, most likely!

Oh ps, I finally made it to my desk ;)

nice one. I was afraid to ask :)

coffee and bison grass vodka in my office some day so!

nice one. I was afraid to ask :)

coffee and bison grass vodka in my office some day so!

:D sounds like an excellent plan!

so, the latest update on the "Western Gate Complex".

small 2€ on exit swipe controlled car park:
    3400924035_db8817eec1.jpg

very airy building, lots of light
    3400924209_b1a91c2fe7.jpg

288 person main lecture theatre.
    3401729326_5830ddde5b.jpg

something like 4 lifts, and tons of nice wide staircases:
    3400924645_231281399f.jpg

nice garden out the back:
    3400924839_d7bb6ecfb0.jpg

walkway and new bridge over to Brookfield HSC:
    3400925049_17308e5f74.jpg

still out the back, by the river:
    3400925237_c1df59b75a.jpg

the ground floor canteen, has outdoor spillout area:
    3401730294_5b01d98637.jpg

can't wait to move in. click for big on all images.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Great photo's. It looks really impressive. The walkway connecting the building to Brookfield would really cut down the walk from Victoria Cross to Brookfield!! Just arriving at the wrong time for me i'm afraid!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a great thread - fair play to yo deRanged, the pics are really interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Nice pics DeRanged.
    Any idea of the cost anyone?
    Just wondering. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Cannot wait for that walkway to be open, gonna be so handy for Vic Mills people to get to Brookfield HSC.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

Nice pics DeRanged.
    Any idea of the cost anyone?
    Just wondering. :cool:

Its costing €65 million euro to build according to this article:http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ucc-in-cash-crisis-as-unapproved-building-goes-up-135533.html
    Its a total waste of money in my opinion considering the financial troubles UCC is currently in and the present economic climate. I know the work on this building commenced when times where better but it seems that the building is far too big and stylish. I mean the brookfield HSC is not at full capacity yet nor will it be for sometime. Maybe existing buildings should be utilised fully before new ones are built. I just don't see the point of it all but i'm sure i'll be shown the light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    Its costing €65 million euro to build according to this article:http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ucc-in-cash-crisis-as-unapproved-building-goes-up-135533.html
    Its a total waste of money in my opinion considering the financial troubles UCC is currently in and the present economic climate. I know the work on this building commenced when times where better but it seems that the building is far too big and stylish. I mean the brookfield HSC is not at full capacity yet nor will it be for sometime. Maybe existing buildings should be utilised fully before new ones are built. I just don't see the point of it all but i'm sure i'll be shown the light

I think when we're in recession is the best time to invest in education. When it opens this year, it will provide much better facilities for Computer Science and other courses, improving the course for students and ensuring that when first years graduate, and the recession is (hopefully) over, we will be able to build that knowledge economy which is our great shining hope to build a more sustainable country, without the need for a constant building boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Charlie 22 wrote: »

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

will bis be going in here?

will bis be going in here?

no.
    BIS will stay in the ORB.

and I suspect the cost is well north of 65million by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

ok than

Cheers for those photos.

Place looks really nice. Since the Maths department is moving in there, I'll probably have lectures and stuff there. So much more impressive than Aras na Laoi!

I'll probably have lectures and stuff there.

if you're in maths you should (it's a guaranteed as anything in UCC is) have all your lectures there.
    The new system is that a student should never need to leave the building they are in, so no more traipsing to Connolly from AnL and so on. That's the theory of course!

I'm Maths and Physics, so while my Maths lectures may all be there, the Physics ones will still probably be split between the Kane and the ORB.
    I actually like walking around campus going to different buildings (except when it's raining of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Reminds me of this! :DNetsoc_Informer_8.jpg

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

will very single maths lecture, including maths studies etc be over there or will some stay on campus? i really don't want any more walking than i already have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Anna Kelly

Do you know if BIS is moving? I like the ORB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

no.
    BIS will stay in the ORB.

and I suspect the cost is well north of 65million by now.

Advertisement