Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CrossFit Ireland Fitness Invitational, Sept 19th

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

are you serious you did 8mins?

Those OH squats and wall balls called for some really deep reps.

Still waiting for that sub 4mins fran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Hi Joe,

We've held two so far, one in May, and this one. The next one is scheduled for Feb 6th.

Hanley,
    We know all about your Fran strategies dude!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Transform wrote: »
    are you serious you did 8mins?

Those OH squats and wall balls called for some really deep reps.

Still waiting for that sub 4mins fran

Haha yeah I did…. Like I said the wall balls weren’t to a target, but I aimed for the same spot consistently. Did it with 8kg, not sure how much CFI used.

The OH squats weren’t a problem at all like… Ya gotta remember my core and legs are my strongest point like!! I’ve really good shoulder flexibility too (can do a Sots Press like). I lashed thru all sets of 7 without having to stop or reset. The pull ups were handy for the first 4-5 rounds, the last 2 were done in 5+2 and 4+3. I dunno what the story with the wall balls is tbh, I just front squatted and tossed them at the same point on the wall each time. I assume that’s what was meant to happen?

I’ll get a vid of the 75kg clean and jerk workout on Saturday for all ya doubters :p

RE: The sub 4 Fran… It is coming!!! I never said it was happening in the next week ;) I’m gonna drop a couple more kg over the next month It was only last May it took 12.02 for me to get thru it like, I might try and do it within 6 months of my first attempt – so that gives me til 3/11/09. And Colm, I’ve no shame in saying it, I’m totally gaming for a good Fran time. First CF workout I ever tried and benchmarked myself on so I’d like to see it fall a lot!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

celestial wrote: »
    So how did it work progressing from round to round - did you have to qualify for one heat to make it to the next? Figure that's how it worked.

I believe the first workout was a random draw. The second workout was random-ish(?) with a few evenly matched head to heads thrown in for the sake of compeition (e.g Transform vs Scott both getting 16 reps on the clean & jerk). The 3rd round was set up so that the top people battled it out together.
    gabgab wrote: »
    Will you come over for the next one?

I will definitely be there for the next one if I'm within an hour or two's plane flight... and if you'll have me back :). However this may be hampered by the fact that I'm permanently relocating to Australia as of mid November. We'll see.

I'd say a boards.ie fitness forum vs crossfit ireland team event could be on the cards in the next year or two ... once us board.ie people figure out your secret crossfit techniques :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

was it 75kg clean and jerk for reps in a minute?? might have a crack off it next week

You're missing the point. It is not about cherry picking workouts to suit your strengths! (edit - time limit was 3 minutes)
    To Scott Jenkins, 'The Fittest Man in Ireland' - always a pleasure mate, hope you can make it back to the next one.

Lol at "the fitness man in ireland" being from Essex :D

Great day Colm. Well done again on the organization.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Bollox. I was so wrong.

I did it in 8 minutes dead.

Did you do dead on 7 wall ball reps or add in a couple extra to simulate missing the target? I don't think anyone managed a set in just 7 (I could be wrong). Great time though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

BossArky-

One of the lads (Tony) said he missed three wall-balls in total, out of all the rounds ... I'd say that was probably the most accurate throwing of the day, but then again he's obsessed with wall-ball shots! No idea how many I missed... one on the first round, and the last round I remember missing three in a row.

On the clean and jerk workout- probably the kicker with it was that your legs were still in pretty bad shape from workout 1, the OHS and wall-ball shots. I'd hazard a guess that if people did it fresh they would have scored a few more reps apiece.

Hanley-

Good work, you're turning into a CrossFit monster.

BossArky wrote: »
    You're missing the point. It is not about cherry picking workouts to suit your strengths! (edit - time limit was 3 minutes)

He doesn't have any strengths, don't worry :D

Did you do dead on 7 wall ball reps or add in a couple extra to simulate missing the target? I don't think anyone managed a set in just 7 (I could be wrong). Great time though.

Nah I only did the 7x7, prolly shoulda done a few more, so maybe bump that up to 8.30 to be sure?? I coulda gone all days with the wall balls tho, the weights in that workout were very comfortable for me.
    Scramble wrote: »
    BossArky-

One of the lads (Tony) said he missed three wall-balls in total, out of all the rounds ... I'd say that was probably the most accurate throwing of the day, but then again he's obsessed with wall-ball shots! No idea how many I missed... one on the first round, and the last round I remember missing three in a row.

I think Transform said he did like 80 shots or something mad!!!
    On the clean and jerk workout- probably the kicker with it was that your legs were still in pretty bad shape from workout 1, the OHS and wall-ball shots. I'd hazard a guess that if people did it fresh they would have scored a few more reps apiece.

Hanley-

Good work, you're turning into a CrossFit monster.

I'll be testing the C&J after a squat workout (front squats, banded box squats, abs, leg curls and reverse hypers) so I'd say I'll probably as fatigued if not more coming into it so it should be an accurate representation.

And cheers... as I've always said, strength is the great equaliser!! While I won't say it's been easy to get into decent cardio shape, on a comparable level I don't think it's possible to make strength gains like I have cardio gains in 6 months (if that makes sense?)

i agree with the strength gains mate as its what seperates the great from the getting there whether its crossfit or not.

My friend neil counted 16reps on my first set of wall balls that were off but it was my own fault really as i did extra in every single round.

finally, i do not look at the international comp and think oh round 1 - 7km run i can do that and then a day later do round 2 deadlifts etc and try to compare as i know its not comparable in the slightest. The strength stuff is great and all but at the end of the day it comes down to having exceptional fitness combined with the strength and then being able to do it again and again and again round after draining round.

oh and yes my legs are still banjaxed today but did deadlifts, cleans, GHR, KB swing and sprints anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

transform - why were you naked in bossarkis vids :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Transform wrote: »
    i agree with the strength gains mate as its what seperates the great from the getting there whether its crossfit or not.

My friend neil counted 16reps on my first set of wall balls that were off but it was my own fault really as i did extra in every single round.

finally, i do not look at the international comp and think oh round 1 - 7km run i can do that and then a day later do round 2 deadlifts etc and try to compare as i know its not comparable in the slightest. The strength stuff is great and all but at the end of the day it comes down to having exceptional fitness combined with the strength and then being able to do it again and again and again round after draining round.

oh and yes my legs are still banjaxed today but did deadlifts, cleans, GHR, KB swing and sprints anyway

Well bloody said

• Advertisement

ragg wrote: »
    aerodynamics man!!

ragg wrote: »

Cos he can!! I'd never wear clothes if I looked like that. A tie and shoes to the office every day. And that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I;ve never done any crossfit stuff before and my powerclean leaves a lot tobe desired but i gave the WOD a go this evening

put 75kg on the bar and 180 seconds on the clock
    got 4 reps and 3 fails in 90 seconds and was done
    this absolutely kicked my ass.

fair play to anyone who kept going for the full 3 mins on saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

From what I could see WOD 2 was the worst if your jerk was bad, except for Transform who just pressed them out. Nobody seemed to have that much trouble cleaning the weight but 75kg is a lot to get overhead if you're relying on a push press. Being able to properly jerk the weight up there helped a little!

Advertisement