Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers: Pack or Rollies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I have been smoking rollups for over 15 years , i use drum tobacco and always put filters in the cigarettes i make .

I would not smoke ready made cigarettes , i don't like them .

The glue on the papers is bad i hear , i always tear it off , i have been doing that for years , just pull it off , the part with the glue on it , it comes off easily , and then roll the cigarette , it will stick anyway without the glue when you lick it , you don't need the glue on the papers , the glue is probably more harmfull then the tobacco itself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ajdb

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

What about the rest of ya's? Whats your brand of choice?

Smoker since age 10.

Marlboro (lights &Red), Camel and Lucky Strike. I also like a nice rollie. Today is the first time I've decided to give them up for lent. So here goes - day 1, 39 to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I've smoked rollies for at least 2 years, once you have a technique they take 15 seconds max to roll. Infinitely better value that fags. Ciggys are alright when you are drunk and incapable of rolling up, but on a day to day basis rollies win every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I smoke rollies because I like tobacco and I always wonder why people get yellow fingers from them. I think they must be doing it wrong. And as for looking poor, that's bollox. Ever heard a knacker ask you for a rollie? No, because poor people smoke cigarettes. Rollies are for cool people. As was said earlier in the thread, cigarettes are the alcopops of tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I smoke rollies because I like tobacco and I always wonder why people get yellow fingers from them.
    I find it's the way they hold the filter. If they grasp the filter in the middle, it's usually okay. Grasping the filter at the end, gives your fingers a tinge. Same goes with normal smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

A pack of beautiful JP for from payday til monday or tuesday. Then slum it with the cutters choice til the bank account gets another visit

• Moderators Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cant beat a packet on Cutter Choice, if you like Golden Virgina or Amber Leaf then you love CC, Isn't as dry as GV and AL and tastes nicer to imo.

I smoke Benson when i can afford them, but a 25g bag, 2 packets of skins and 1 pack of filters gets me through the midweek. Way better value and nicer than packet cigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Everyone here thats on the cigarettes seems to mention the hassle and time it takes to roll.

After a few weeks on the rollies rolling almost becomes second nature. I can roll a rollie in around 30 seconds. As long as your not new to smoking rolling tobacco it comes so easily.

I think that if you use filters on your rollies they are better for you than cigarettes. The quality of tobacco is much lower in cigarettes. I will never deny that, however, the price is what made me start using rolling tobacco. Nowadays I prefer a nice rollie of drum with a rizla filter, or, if I'm lucky, some drum gold, to any cigarette bar the American Marlboro lights and Benson Special Filter.

And regarding what people said about people labelling you as a bum, hippy, crusty or someone cheap if you smoke rollies, I really couldnt care what they think. If someone judges someone on what they smoke than I'd rather they stay away from me. People need to stop caring what shallow, snobby people like these think. Nothing gives people the right to judge people on something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Don't smoke. But the smell of Rolled tobacco or pipe tobacco is a lot better than cirgarette tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I can't stand rollies but with the way things are atm, I'll probably be forced to switch:mad:.

• Advertisement

RastaRed wrote: »
    anybody any tips for getting rid of tobacco stains on the fingers?
    Scrub it hard using soap. Not some hand soap, the stuff you get in a bar.
    Evolute wrote: »
    The only reason anyone smokes rollies is because they can't afford smokes.
    For some, maybe. For me, I get a dry throat from smoking any brand of cigarette, but not so when smoking rollies.
    Chewabacca wrote: »
    And regarding what people said about people labelling you as a bum, hippy, crusty or someone cheap if you smoke rollies, I really couldnt care what they think. If someone judges someone on what they smoke than I'd rather they stay away from me. People need to stop caring what shallow, snobby people like these think. Nothing gives people the right to judge people on something like that.
    Agreed: the people who give a damn about what or how I smoke, I ignore. To those that think any different of me, as it takes "too long" to roll a rollie, are usually the ones who smoke 10-20 a day, so meh, die muthaf*cker, and leave me in peace :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

I smoked the ciggys for 15 years, recently because of financial reasons i went onto rollies. Costs 1.50 per day apposed to ciggys 8.45.
    They do have less chemicals. I use large papers coz the small ones dont last long enough.
    All that said, smoking is hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

firrst of all some people smoke rollies because they cant afford cigerettes and thats fine they are much cheaper, but for me i smoke rollies now amber leaf (must have a filter) because i find them so much nicer than cigs, cigs make me feel ill now. i dont smoke em because i am cheap like some fools here think, i am financially well off and i dont criticise people that do smoke rollies and i dont think smoking is cool, but while i am still smoking i will try and mimimise the damage a bit with rollie tobacco. hopefully i will kick the habit soon

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭silliegillie

Try to Quit smoking and sort of succeeding (Still will Smoke when drinking)
    Havent smoked a rolling in ages but im longing for one know although i do get a sensation of a lump in my throat when I smoke rollies, Any one else experience that. Oh By the way Smoking IS for cool people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Used to be packs, but I'm a student so switched to rollies and I prefer the taste and feel of them. Its much more satisfying rolling my own. My friend rolls hers for the day in the morning.

If I did buy a pack its Marlboro Reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Orangutani

Always used to be a Marlboro Red man, then started to realise I was spending about €60 a week on them. Changed over to rollies, Drum dark blue with filters. Fecking insane how much money I'm saving. After two years of them, I can now roll in less than 20 secs, and I much prefer them to packs. Currently smokin through a 200pack of B&H, a duty-free present. They give me a dry throat, don't taste as nice as the rollies either. Everytime I smoke one I end up with a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach and an urge to take a ****. Or leave a ****, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sopick

i smoked since i was a little fella and started smokin the pouch tobacco golden virginia over a year ago which is miles cheaper and you smoke less aswell and i gave em up about a month ago just kept smoking less and less and then said f**k it and gave em up so pouch tobacco is way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sumatra

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

What about the rest of ya's? Whats your brand of choice?

Smoker since age 10.

I recently have started to do the same, was a marlboro light smoker and went down to rollies for budget reasons. I personally do find myself alot less 'chesty' due to the fact that there is a hell of alot less chemicals in them and also the good inconvenience of having to roll everytime you want one has made me smoke less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathy_C

used to smoke john player but quickly switched to drum light (with blue rizlas) when they hiked the price up... actually, i think it was when they got rid of ten boxes! much prefer rollies, even though almost every time i'm rolling some ignorant ciggie smoker decides i want one of theirs, why can't they understand some people actually prefer rollies?! much cheaper and since i started smoking light drum there's much less to cough up in the mornings :) pouch usually lasts me two to three days which is great, my (ex) flatmate spends at least 60quid a week on fags and that's practically my rent! only thing is going out though, drunk rolling takes much longer :(

Havent smoked a rolling in ages but im longing for one know although i do get a sensation of a lump in my throat when I smoke rollies, Any one else experience that.
    Get it checked out ASAP. Lumps in wrong places sometimes coincide with cancer...
    Cathy_C wrote: »
    drunk rolling takes much longer :(
    It gets easier after a while. I find using filters when rolling when drunk easier than using a roach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cathy_C

the_syco wrote: »
    filters

ugh! hate filters, they're weird..

Cathy_C wrote: »
    ugh! hate filters, they're weird..
    Ensure you use Swan or Rizla filters... the others are truely weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

the_syco wrote: »
    Ensure you use Swan or Rizla filters... the others are truely weird.

Super Slim filters are the way to go. The come in what looks like a 10 box of fags. Rizla are the best cause swan shrink when you smoke them and get f*cked by the end of the smoke, Rizla all the way.
    This post has been deleted.

never tried the bull brand but super slim are a must

I used to smoke fags but switched when I got over the change of tobacco. Golden Virginia for me. I get a legitimate supply of it from someone who works in aviation. works out at about €4 for 50g. Thats unbelievable....and theres a pack of green rizla in each pouch to seal the deal...

Nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Nulty wrote: »
    Super Slim filters are the way to go. The come in what looks like a 10 box of fags. Rizla are the best cause swan shrink when you smoke them and get f*cked by the end of the smoke, Rizla all the way.

+1
    The swan filters are absolutely woeful. Super Slim Rizzlas are the best. I find the slims tend to shrink a good bit as well towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I used not like the taste of rollies at all but after 3 years of smoking them I much prefer the taste of them now. They are far less harsh on the throat and don't give the nasty aftertaste. Having to roll them is a nuisance initially, but you'd get used to it after a couple of months (even in the pub). The economical factors speak for themselves. Amber Leaf FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bingus666

Rollies are banned around this Workplace, used to annoy the stones out of me watchin the minions takin ages to roll a cigarette and then expectin that the smoke break didnt start til they lit it :mad::mad::mad:

although I do smoke meself I usually smoke Marlboro Reds.

rollies make yo look poor, or worse, Cheap.

oh so if you smoke cigs then you look rich & sophicisticated??? man oh man, you really got suckered in by those ads then eh???

Rollies are banned around this Workplace, used to annoy the stones out of me watchin the minions takin ages to roll a cigarette and then expectin that the smoke break didnt start til they lit it :mad::mad::mad:
    LoL. I would roll when on a call, but I know the type, and they'd annoy the f**k out of me as well. Heck, I'd often roll one in the space between my desk, and the door.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    A mate of mine smokes rollies and I'm nearly always finished my pre-rolled before he's even lit his.
    I take my time to roll, sometimes. It's not a case of "havetostartsmokingassoonaspossiblewhenIgetoutthedoor", but a case of "exit door. roll it. smoke it. enjoy it."
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I've tried both types but I find that rollies have a strange taste. Don't really like it to be honest. Maybe it's because I've just been so used to smoking pre-rolled for so long.
    Or maybe it because you have not tried one that you like. Can you seriously say you like every pre-rolled cigarette that you've ever had?
    Wolf Club wrote: »
    Having to roll them is a nuisance initially, but you'd get used to it after a couple of months (even in the pub). The economical factors speak for themselves. Amber Leaf FTW :)
    Indeed, Amber Leaf is quite nice. If it's a hazy day, and you're having a drink, rolling can be quite calming.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

Unfortunately all the people i know that smoke rollies are kind of scumbags....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Erica<3 - Do not troll this thread with derisory comments about rollie-smokers.

HB

Advertisement