Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers: Pack or Rollies?

Options
  • 13-08-2009 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

What about the rest of ya's? Whats your brand of choice?

Smoker since age 10.

Rollies or Cigarettes ? 116 votes

Rollies
    0% 0 votes
    Cigarettes
    100% 116 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Smoking is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm an ex-smoker but i enjoy the occasional one every now and then, with a drink or two. Rollies are great, i get more of a nicer feel of a rollie than a cigarette

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Rollies are banned around this Workplace, used to annoy the stones out of me watchin the minions takin ages to roll a cigarette and then expectin that the smoke break didnt start til they lit it :mad::mad::mad:

although I do smoke meself I usually smoke Marlboro Reds.

rollies make yo look poor, or worse, Cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Rollies give the impression of someone with yellow smelly fingers smouldering away (in a bad way) with nothing better to do all day then roll tobacco into a paper.

Major ftw, when you need that kick in the lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I prefer packs by far. Although I do enjoy the occasional rollie. I like rolling 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Rollies.

Ready-to-smokes are the alcopops of nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Take pity :(

I was once a cigarette smoker, now reduced to paper & tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

Rollies give the impression of with yellow smelly fingers smouldering away (in a bad way) someone with nothing better to do all day then roll tobacco into a paper.

Or an artsy crafty person, or a bit dykey.
    I like that the rolling tobacco doesn't have as many addictive chemicals added. If I smoke 200 duty free cigarettes my rollie intake doubles afterwards until I get the addiction level back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Smoked rollies for a while but then the hassle of rolling them in the pub got to me, back on packs now. A friends ma would roll 20 in the morning and stick them in a box for the day. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Cigarettes ftw. Couldn't be bothered with all that finicky rolling stuff tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

For the last few months i've been on the rollies for financial reasons. Cutters choice is my brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rollies for me: Golden Virgina, or Amber Leaf, and use blue papers only. SmokingPaper if I can get it. Cigarettes tend to give me a dry throat, so don't smoke them that often. May even be switching to a pipe soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Has to be rollies. They're cheaper and I find that they are a whole lot tastier than regular fags.
    It's fun to roll up as well. They're not the handiest things for when I'm out, but I'll gladly put up with this. Sometimes I roll up a few before I get out just to avoid trying to drunkenly roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

i smoked fags then roolies coz there were cheap and now fags again! <snip>

No mention of black market or dodgy sources of tobacco.
    Read the charter.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

rollies during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

fags at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Ha, well, rollies are fun... but me trying to do them while drunk is just a hazard! and I only smoke when I'm drinking.. so, packs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've always bought packs of cigarettes. I've never learned how to roll and it just looks too time consuming.

A mate of mine smokes rollies and I'm nearly always finished my pre-rolled before he's even lit his.

I've tried both types but I find that rollies have a strange taste. Don't really like it to be honest. Maybe it's because I've just been so used to smoking pre-rolled for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

This is going to sound completely wacko!:eek:

But i actualy think rollies smell nicer than cigarettes!

i dont know why..............................and dont even smoke.....:D:D

..........................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RastaRed

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I've always gone for a pack of camel lights or a good aul jp blue since I started smoking. I recently started smoking rolling tobacco (at nearly half the price, E4.20, and get almost twice as many cigarettes out of them).

I think my lungs have improved since I started smoking them. They don't seem to have as much chemicals in them, they aren't as convenient as just lighting up and you aren't smoking as much tobacco due to the size of the rollie.

I was wondering how others felt either on the financial side and also the health side.

I know smoking is bad no matter what way you do it but I think there might be cheaper, healthier options to the common cigarette.

Smoker since age 10.

Theyre the main reasons Ive switched to the rollies now aswell, Golden Virginia for me, still use johnnie blue when Im smoking other substances;)
    anybody any tips for getting rid of tobacco stains on the fingers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Rollies for me, used to smoke civvies but lost my job so had to purely smoke rollies. Now I've gotten used to them and find it really hard to smoke civvies, and I bloody love rolling, means you smoke less for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ive always smokes packs so i doubt ill change now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

The only reason anyone smokes rollies is because they can't afford smokes.
    Well atleast thats the only reason they start.
    For me its rollies because I can't afford €8.45 for a box of marlboro red everyday especially when I can spend a little over €9 and get my 25gram puch of golden virginia and 2 packs of blue rizla which will last for a week (the tobacco maybe not the skins)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I smoke rollies, i used to smoke marlboro but then i returned to college and became a bum so couldnt afford smokes in a packet. I smoke amber leaf and got myself a rolling machine in germany. so much handier!!! family and friends go to germany and brussels alot where a packet of ten FIFTY gm packets are only 33 euro, so im set up for the year!!! Would nearly be worth takin an overnight cheap stay to either of those places just to stock up!! Be warned tho, its no easy to get in france!!!! and BTW try rubbing toothpaste on your fingers the person who was askin about yellow stains.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

ah Rollies definitly.............

golden virginia a nice smoke mmmmmmmmmm
    ahhhhhhhh

Years ago smoked benson but was gettin a bit sic of them and friends introduced me to the rollie....

less chemicals
    cheaper
    just enough tobacco in it (i always threw away a bit of cigarette)
    smoke less (if you have to roll it cant grab one when driving and you wont have one until you really want it!

perfecto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm an ex-smoker but i enjoy the occasional one every now and then, with a drink or two. Rollies are great, i get more of a nicer feel of a rollie than a cigarette

i agree, plus its the whole act of making the rollie that makes it taste all the better.... mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 18 daithi1986

Marlboro Red all the way. Rollies are disgusting looking, tasting etc.... nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 brendasi

A friend of mine told me that his rollies were only pure tobacco and did not include the many chemicals/toxins that are in ordinary cigarettes?

Anyone know if this is true or not?

Many Thanks

D
    x

=================

Zangetsu wrote: »

Smoker since age 10.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

brendasi wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is true or not?
    Yes it's true. Pre-packaged cigarettes contain all manner of crap that the makers don't want you to know about.

A friend of mine who does a bit of musicianing on the trad scene pointed out that trad musicians always smoke rollies. If someone starts up during your smoke you can put your cigarette down and it'll go out. Pre-packaged ciggies contain saltpetre so they keep burning.

As I said earlier, pre-packaged cigarettes are nicotine alcopops: a drug delivery system for people who don't actually like the taste of tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Kormeera X wrote: »
    But i actualy think rollies smell nicer than cigarettes!

i dont know why......................QUOTE]

I agree with this. Started smoking JP, now been smoking Marlboro Lights for the last 5 years maybe. But love the smell of rolling tobacco. mmmm..

Advertisement