Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Viewing scripts / Appeals process **

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What I will say though is the head examiner has to write a report on the standard of correction by each of his examiners. A poor corrector may not be asked to correct again the following year.
    I realise this is an old thread but I don't think much has changed since 2009! Out of curiosity, are appeal results taken into account when the standard of correction is being determined? For example, if an examiner corrected an inordinate amount of scripts that were upgraded/downgraded on appeal, would that be taken into account?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was polish... I know that mistakes can happen it just that I really want to know what was wrong there, as the mark I received was surprisingly low - B3. I got better mark in honors English than in Polish, which is very unusual :) and I have finished my secondary education in Poland, passing polish lc with good marks... When I was looking for any info about the requirements for the exam all they told me was that I have to have good understanding of the language - which I surely have... And I can't really ask at school as I'm doing it as an external student. Thanks for help anyway :)

A higher mark in English than your native language is certainly unusual. You should have appealed that, even without seeing the paper.
    Unfortunately it's too late now.

I know from speaking to students who sat Polish and didn't do so well, the examiners want well written Polish and are not very tolerant of sloppy mistakes. They would rather people write to the standard of "Gazeta Wyborcza" rather than "Fakt", if you know what I mean. Had you been reading good quality written Polish before you sat the exam?

Would you consider re-sitting it? It is always possible the marks were added incorrectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jumpguy wrote: »
    I realise this is an old thread but I don't think much has changed since 2009! Out of curiosity, are appeal results taken into account when the standard of correction is being determined? For example, if an examiner corrected an inordinate amount of scripts that were upgraded/downgraded on appeal, would that be taken into account?

The checks that happen during the marking process usually weed out someone who is correcting too easily or strictly. It would be very unusual for it not to be noticed before the appeal stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

spurious wrote: »
    A higher mark in English than your native language is certainly unusual. You should have appealed that, even without seeing the paper.
    Unfortunately it's too late now.

I know from speaking to students who sat Polish and didn't do so well, the examiners want well written Polish and are not very tolerant of sloppy mistakes. They would rather people write to the standard of "Gazeta Wyborcza" rather than "Fakt", if you know what I mean. Had you been reading good quality written Polish before you sat the exam?

Would you consider re-sitting it? It is always possible the marks were added incorrectly.

I didn't appeal it last year as I was missing way too much points, and I'm repeating this year, all 7 subjects :) That's the point really, I would like to know what was wrong with my writing last year, so I can do better this June.

My Polish writing is rather good, I read lots of books and newspapers (and stay away from Fakt and alike), and I passed polish leaving cert a few years back - and I got B. The paper itself was pretty easy too, the only thing I can really think about is that my answers might be a bit too long, in the part where they don't tell you how long they should be. Can they take points for that?

My Polish writing is rather good, I read lots of books and newspapers (and stay away from Fakt and alike), and I passed polish leaving cert a few years back - and I got B. The paper itself was pretty easy too, the only thing I can really think about is that my answers might be a bit too long, in the part where they don't tell you how long they should be. Can they take points for that?

It's not specifically mentioned in the marking scheme and really you would have to go WAY over the limit for it to be a problem.

You may have already seen this from the marking scheme but these are the instructions to the examiner:
    Uwaga:
    Następujące elementy będą brane pod uwagę przy przyznawaniu punktów w części II i III:
    1. Przejrzystość celu – kandydat zrozumiał pytanie i wie, jak podejść do udzielenia odpowiedzi – 30%
    2. Spójność wypowiedzi – kandydat dobiera właściwy materiał, korzystając z niego w uporządkowany i celowy sposób – 30%
    3. Znajomość języka – kandydat wykazuje na tyle dobrą znajomość języka, by w sposób jasny i w miarę płynny przekazać treść – 30%
    4. Zasady – gramatyka i ortografia – 10%

As I said, they may have miscalculated your marks.

Życzę wielu sukcesów w egzaminie

• Advertisement
Advertisement