Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Viewing scripts / Appeals process **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Appealed Geography today and also Business (cause the oul wan made me).:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I wonder, are exams corrected by an examiner who teaches the same subject? Or can anyone correct any subject?

It's just that I noticed a lot of answers marked wrong in my biology paper that, I think had it been corrected by a biology teacher, I would have been giving marks for.

Yes generally they are corrected by a teacher of that subject. Pecking order would be Higher Level LC>Ordinary Level LC> Higher Level JC>Ordinary Level JC. They are going to have the most experienced correctors of subjects correcting LC papers wherever possible.

It's not that just anyone can correct the other levels but the knowledge required is far less.

I correct Ag Science and it's all Ag Science teachers that are correcting it.

As for the correcting of your paper, it's not a case of marking answers right or wrong, the corrector must follow the marking scheme, now an experienced corrector will know when it's acceptable to accept a different term if they have been doing this for years and have possibly corrected a similar question in the past. A less experienced corrector might stick rigidly to the marking scheme.

You've also got to take human error into account, while it shouldn't happen, if you're correcting papers for 8 hours a day it can be easy to miss an answer as you get a bit boggle eyed. What I will say though is the head examiner has to write a report on the standard of correction by each of his examiners. A poor corrector may not be asked to correct again the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tinfoil_

These things will happen, though they shouldn't. You have no idea how cross-eyed examiners get after wading through hundreds of scripts in what is a tight enough allotment of time.

That's why it's always worth having a look unless you feel really sure that the grade you got reflects what you deserved.

Still though, I cant help venting my anger at this kind of mistake! I just feel kind of cheated of that post results elation, and of getting your first choice etc.

Yes mistakes happen, but when they do happen, (especially one like this one) they should be rectified much more efficiently and speedily than they are at present! As it stands, I have no idea what will happen or when it will happen when the mistake is FINALLY adressed. And trinity might be stingey and not let me into dent even though I now have enough points..

Your dead right tho, its so worth looking, I couldnt believe my eyes when I went in! I had a hunch something was up with my accountancy paper..Trust your instincts people!

Tinfoil_ wrote: »
    Still though, I cant help venting my anger at this kind of mistake! I just feel kind of cheated of that post results elation, and of getting your first choice etc.

Yes mistakes happen, but when they do happen, (especially one like this one) they should be rectified much more efficiently and speedily than they are at present! As it stands, I have no idea what will happen or when it will happen when the mistake is FINALLY adressed. And trinity might be stingey and not let me into dent even though I now have enough points..

Your dead right tho, its so worth looking, I couldnt believe my eyes when I went in! I had a hunch something was up with my accountancy paper..Trust your instincts people!

Well to be fair, it probably can't be addressed much quicker than it is at present. Students have to apply to view scripts. Scripts have to be located and removed from the bags they're stored in. Papers are sent to schools to be viewed. Viewing of scripts have to be carried out. Students have to apply to have it re-corrected. Examiners have to be organised to correct them. It's not known how many students are going to apply. A conference has to be organised to go through the recorrecting of the papers and the teachers have to be given time to recorrect. Remember we're back at school now- we don't have all day to get them done. Scripts and results have to go back to Department... I think you get your appeal result in early to mid October. If you are upgraded and it means you will get into a course you will be offered a place. If the course is full you will be offered a place for next year, it's up to you whether you take it or not. If there is space on the course you can choose to start late or defer or stay in the course you accepted. Remember it's not the college's fault you weren't awarded the grade in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

ambyangel wrote: »
    the french marking scheme was a ****ing disgrace!!!

one answer I had was "she puts them in the bin" but I got 0 because they wanted "she puts them straight in the bin":mad::rolleyes:

They got me on that one as well.. all the marks I lost in written except for 5 were because of that kind of correction. I just sat there laughing at it but if I really needed more points I'd have been crushed..

• Advertisement

Well to be fair, it probably can't be addressed much quicker than it is at present. Students have to apply to view scripts. Scripts have to be located and removed from the bags they're stored in. Papers are sent to schools to be viewed. Viewing of scripts have to be carried out. Students have to apply to have it re-corrected. Examiners have to be organised to correct them. It's not known how many students are going to apply. A conference has to be organised to go through the recorrecting of the papers and the teachers have to be given time to recorrect. Remember we're back at school now- we don't have all day to get them done. Scripts and results have to go back to Department... I think you get your appeal result in early to mid October. If you are upgraded and it means you will get into a course you will be offered a place. If the course is full you will be offered a place for next year, it's up to you whether you take it or not. If there is space on the course you can choose to start late or defer or stay in the course you accepted. Remember it's not the college's fault you weren't awarded the grade in the first place.

All of that is correct. I am familiar with the appeals process.
    Although what your referring to is a different predicament than mine..My original post explains it!
    I dont have to go through the appeals process,yet it is much more unclear(as it is a rare occurence) what the process is. A mistake like this is apparently addressed within two weeks of scripts..The mistake made was on the part of the person transferring the mark onto my certificate, as he/she incorrectly took down C1 in place of an A1 from the roster of corrected exam papers! In short, a trivial but costly mistake!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Still though, I cant help venting my anger at this kind of mistake!
    Oh, and I don't blame you a bit for being fed up about it, don't get me wrong, so would I if I were in your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When do we find out about our appeals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ebay Affiliate

Hi,I got my paper appealed today.I got a C1 in business, checked the paper and one question was added wrong I got 32 marks for a question ,should of got 44 marks .I get a B3 when added on.Does anyone know if I will get this sorted quick because it just a adding mistake.Your helps appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

A person i know got a b3 in business.In a long question they did there was an addition error.something like 20+30 =30.The extra marks brought them up to a b2.They got it rechecked still ended up with a b3 because the new examiner took marks away in other sections.

• Advertisement

Apparently computation of marks must also go through the appeals route and the results dont come out earlier than mid-october!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

They got me on that one as well.. all the marks I lost in written except for 5 were because of that kind of correction. I just sat there laughing at it but if I really needed more points I'd have been crushed..

I lost out on my course because of french:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

When do we find out about our appeals?

Mid October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

ambyangel wrote: »
    the french marking scheme was a ****ing disgrace!!!

one answer I had was "she puts them in the bin" but I got 0 because they wanted "she puts them straight in the bin":mad::rolleyes:

Totally agree the french this year was absolutely ridiculous,i said for one part she set up an association for the homeless the answer was she set up an organisation/charity for the homeless and i got 0 like i'm just sick of it all to to be honest.There were so many answers like that on my aural and i got 0 so unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Totally agree the french this year was absolutely ridiculous,i said for one part she set up an association for the homeless the answer was she set up an organisation/charity for the homeless and i got 0 like i'm just sick of it all to to be honest.There were so many answers like that on my aural and i got 0 so unfair.

same here!
    I wish I never did french!
    I would have a course now and not have to do a PLC!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

I went down from an A2in mocks to B3 in LC in french, luckily still got my course, but i found the actual LC supposedly 'easier' than the mocks (i guess not) i didnt check my paper but i presume it was the same things as you guys, with just little things, i reckon what happened was they realised the paper was quite manageable got a good few high grades and amended the marking schemes to make them pernickity and do bring down the high grades...(some years even the really vague answers are given some if not all the marks) now i know theres no way i was going to get an A1/2 from a B3 but i thought the paper had gone really really well.. obviously not though.. French was my lowest grade, kinda gets to me a bit because i worked hard in it. but sure, what can ya do i suppose!

Apparently computation of marks must also go through the appeals route and the results dont come out earlier than mid-october!

My techer told me it should be done quicker because its only adding up error and should not be recheck fully.
    I got 395 and with this error hopefully I will get 400 and get in to the course I want but I am still not sure I will get in with 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

My teacher told me it should be done quicker because its only adding up error and should not be recheck fully.

No; Tinfoil was correct. The fast-track mechanism really only applies to cases where the total mark on the front of the script does not correspond with the grade you are issued. This is handled by people in Athlone who are not examiners. It can basically only resolve errors made in transferring the mark from the script to the marking sheet and then on to the computer system.

Anything that requires a person who knows something about the structure of the paper to fix must be referred to an examiner and therefore has to go through the normal appeals process. (A person who wasn't an examiner is not qualified to determine which particular marks in the right hand margin are meant to be included in the question total, and which particular question totals are to be included in the final total.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I just remembered this today and laughed: After essentially ignoring the Irish Music essays for the guts of 2 years, I got full marks in mine on the day :D My only preparation was reading a Sean O Riada essay from 5th year before going into the exam centre (in which I'd made up all the dates and names) and hearing my friend spit out some dates and facts literally as we were sitting down to do the paper. My teacher was impressed and said it's very hard to get full marks in the essay. Hurray for blind luck!

That means then I will have to wait untill mid october.I am starting my computer enterprise course in DCU on 22 september.When my points are hopefully changed in my recheck do I just transfer to my other course Marketing innovation technology also in DCU?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

That means then I will have to wait untill mid october.I am starting my computer enterprise course in DCU on 22 september.When my points are hopefully changed in my recheck do I just transfer to my other course Marketing innovation technology also in DCU?

If there are spaces in the Marketing course, or if they are willing to accomodate you, you can move to it. Otherwise they'll offer you a place that you can take up in the next academic year (Sept 1010).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not a guarantee, but the fact that they're in the same college probably makes it more likely ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Haha upon viewing one of scripts from maths I was surprised with one of my answers, I totally forgot about this. Differentiation,Q8 part (c) it was that last awkward question, I didn't have a hope of getting right so I just wrote "Yes, because..." got 2 marks out of 5 for it. DELIGHTED! :D

History was marked really hard I noticed, it was mostly a train wreck for me with my project being my only saving grace by helping me get a C3. The mark I got on the one essay I was very happy with was in no way what I expected, not very high at all, considering it was basically the same B2 essay I wrote in the mocks.

Screw it anyway! All this English Paper 2 and marking crap doesn't matter any more, it was a fun ride while it lasted, college awaits:cool:

Geography was marked really hard aswell.I was expecting a B1 or higher and ended up with a C1.Still dont understand why I only got a C1 it was the best paper I did and was really pleased with it and the project.Should of appealed it.

pjtb wrote: »
    If there are spaces in the Marketing course, or if they are willing to accomodate you, you can move to it. Otherwise they'll offer you a place that you can take up in the next academic year (Sept 1010).

Its 400 points and and 35 places available.Hopefully they can accommodate one more person.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

I have one question regarding viewing scripts - does anyone know if they can be viewed only in September? I applied to view all of my papers last year and one of them never arrived - i was surprised by the low mark i received and really wanted to see the script. Anyway, I'm repeating this year and I would really like to see what went wrong, especially that the exam was really easy and there is not much info about this subject syllabus on their website... Can I somehow apply and go to view it now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have one question regarding viewing scripts - does anyone know if they can be viewed only in September? I applied to view all of my papers last year and one of them never arrived - i was surprised by the low mark i received and really wanted to see the script. Anyway, I'm repeating this year and I would really like to see what went wrong, especially that the exam was really easy and there is not much info about this subject syllabus on their website... Can I somehow apply and go to view it now?

There won't be any of last year's scripts still around. The SEC couldn't possibly store them all. Once the appeals process was over, they would have been pulped.

They are only available to view on the day and times specified.

Thank you spurious :)
    I will contact them then and ask for more info about the subject...

Thank you spurious :)
    I will contact them then and ask for more info about the subject...

What was the subject? It could have simply been mislaid...no good to you of course but when you have about 60000 people doing on average 7 exams, some of them with 2 papers and various other components, law of averages would suggest that a few papers will end up in the wrong envelopes at some stage.

i know one student in my school applied to view 4 or 5 papers, one of them didn't turn up at the viewing - DCG - and when the SEC were contacted they weren't able to locate it at the time, don't know what the outcome was there.

but as spurious said, you won't be able to view last years papers now, they've probably been recycled at this stage.

• Advertisement

It was polish... I know that mistakes can happen it just that I really want to know what was wrong there, as the mark I received was surprisingly low - B3. I got better mark in honors English than in Polish, which is very unusual :) and I have finished my secondary education in Poland, passing polish lc with good marks... When I was looking for any info about the requirements for the exam all they told me was that I have to have good understanding of the language - which I surely have... And I can't really ask at school as I'm doing it as an external student. Thanks for help anyway :)

Advertisement