Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Viewing scripts / Appeals process **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I didn't get any stub or slot yet, feck. Should I by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I didn't get any stub or slot yet, feck. Should I by now?

Ring the school to see if they have sent the stub out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ruthieface

I got the Friday slot but I won't be around untill saturday as I'm away does anybody know if I call my school tomorrow if they would let me view them on the saturday instead? I'm so stressed over this, I really need to see them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Never mind, got it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I got the Friday slot. Thank Christ.

• Advertisement

My advice to everybody is to bring a calculator with you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 haysie

I got an exam appealed last year, my teacher recommended me to do it and i was upgraded, got an extra 20 CAO points I was thrilled.. if you feel you deserved more after you've appealed it, get it checked or else you'll just always be wondering.. you'll be suprised at the amount of people who view their scrpits.. half of the students in my year last year viewed al their scrpits.. no harm in checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Got my stub, set for Saturday morning, not an ideal time granted :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please try get the opinion of a teacher who has experience as an examiner.

Marks within square brackets should not be totalled.

For example, say there are three options (each worth 10 marks) and you are to answer two, but have attempted all three, they will be marked like this:

Part One - Blah Blah (7) <---that's supposed to be the mark you got in a circle

Part Two - More blah (9)

Part Three - Even more blah [6] <--- the marks within square brackets are not counted.

The examiner will mark all three bits but can only give you marks for two, since that is what was asked for. The disregarded marks are in the brackets.

Sometimes people in the heat of the moment think they should be getting 22 marks for the example above, but the total is actually 16.

I'm not sure I've made that clear. Anyway, if you have a teacher who has corrected, they will know the system. Good luck all.

spurious wrote: »
    Please try get the opinion of a teacher who has experience as an examiner.

Marks within square brackets should not be totalled.

For example, say there are three options (each worth 10 marks) and you are to answer two, but have attempted all three, they will be marked like this:

Part One - Blah Blah (7) <---that's supposed to be the mark you got in a circle

Part Two - More blah (9)

Part Three - Even more blah [6] <--- the marks within square brackets are not counted.

The examiner will mark all three bits but can only give you marks for two, since that is what was asked for. The disregarded marks are in the brackets.

Sometimes people in the heat of the moment think they should be getting 22 marks for the example above, but the total is actually 16.

I'm not sure I've made that clear. Anyway, if you have a teacher who has corrected, they will know the system. Good luck all.

Thanks spurious.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

A question for Spurious-
    Is a teacher who is familiar with marking schemes good enough, or does the actual experience of going to conferences and physically marking papers make a massive difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure if someone who hadn't corrected would know about the square brackets thing, but knowing how the marking schemes work is a must.

The most common way people go up in marks is because of a mis-tot on the marks. It's rare for an examiner to actually miss marks on the paper, but more likely that mistakes will be made in the actual adding up. This can result in quite large differences in grades.

**edit
    If your paper has two different colours of marks (red and green) on it, then it has already been re-graded/re-checked by an advising examiner. That would make it less likely to gain marks in a re-check as a more experienced examiner has already checked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm looking at my french paper by myself just to see if it was that bitch of an oral exam(iner) that screwed me over. Got my points and offer but I cannot let this one rest!

Thanks Spurious,
    I did the LC last year, and have to admit that some teachers did not have a clue about how the marking schemes worked- I knew more myself. I was constantly referring to them from the start of fifth year on when I was doing exam questions, and they were invaluable. I don't know if you know anything about English LC markings, but my English teacher only found out a fundamental fact about the way LC English is marked after getting back our mocks- She said, looking at the mocks marking scheme (which probably wasn't up to much), ' oh , this is interesting, apparently your answers are marked based on four categories, PCLM (clarity of purpose, coherence of delivery,language,mechanics)' I couldn't believe she had never heard of this... It's so important in the subject! Just shows how right you are when you say experience of marking schemes is needed, just because a teachers teachs a subject doesn't mean they have any sort of a clue about how the exam works ( though they should!).

K4t wrote: »
    I'm looking at my french paper by myself just to see if it was that bitch of an oral exam(iner) that screwed me over. Got my points and offer but I cannot let this one rest!

Don't be expecting to see how well you did in your oral... I viewed my french last year, you're not given your mark from the oral when viewing your scripts, I don't know why. If you did really well in the written, and you got a crap grade, you could reason that you did bad in the oral, but that's the closest you'll get to finding out! It's the same with Irish.

@pjtb : I agree. I don't understand why correcting isn't something every teacher would want to do at least once - obviously not for the money as it's not worth it for that, but so as to correct classwork and homework to a good standard. I suspect the threads saying 'I always got B1s but got a D2 in the real thing' are sometimes to do with teachers who do not know how the exams are marked.

People need to be realistic. Unless something has gone badly wrong (like a mis-tot) large jumps in grades are not likely. There would be a much better chance of someone going from a D1 to a C3 for example on a recheck, than of them going from a D1 to a B2.

pjtb wrote: »
    Don't be expecting to see how well you did in your oral... I viewed my french last year, you're not given your mark from the oral when viewing your scripts, I don't know why. If you did really well in the written, and you got a crap grade, you could reason that you did bad in the oral, but that's the closest you'll get to finding out! It's the same with Irish.

You can just subtract the mark of your written exam from the total mark to calculate your oral mark.:)

spurious wrote: »
    @pjtb : I agree. I don't understand why correcting isn't something every teacher would want to do at least once - obviously not for the money as it's not worth it for that, but so as to correct classwork and homework to a good standard. I suspect the threads saying 'I always got B1s but got a D2 in the real thing' are sometimes to do with teachers who do not know how the exams are marked.

People need to be realistic. Unless something has gone badly wrong (like a mis-tot) large jumps in grades are not likely. There would be a much better chance of someone going from a D1 to a C3 for example on a recheck, than of them going from a D1 to a B2.

@ Spurious. I think I understand why- some teachers, not all of them (but many from my school), just couldn't be bothered. 'Summer is time away from school, why on earth would I want to do more correcting?' is probably what they think. Not all teachers are as professional and dedicated as you are, Spurious! (I've read many of your posts in the Teaching and Lecturing forum,I'll be a teacher myself one day!)

JSK 252 wrote: »
    You can just subtract the mark of your written exam from the total mark to calculate your oral mark.:)

But I think you're only given the mark you got in the written paper, not your total mark, so that's not possible I'm afraid! Unless I was missing something last year! I could be wrong!

But I think you're only given the mark you got in the written paper, not your total mark, so that's not possible I'm afraid! Unless I was missing something last year! I could be wrong!

Well if thats the case then you can still do a fairly good estimate of your oral mark from subtraction by making an estimation of what percentage grade you got overall. i.e if I got the B1 i was somewhere near 80-84%.

• Advertisement

Well if thats the case then you can still do a fairly good estimate of your oral mark from subtraction by making an estimation of what percentage grade you got overall. i.e if I got the B1 i was somewhere near 80-84%.

That'd only work if the oral and written were weighted 50-50 I think, wouldn't it? Only guessing here!

That'd only work if the oral and written were weighted 50-50 I think, wouldn't it? Only guessing here!

No it wouldnt make a difference.

For example

My written mark for french was 280/300 including the aural excluding the oral.

I got a B1 overall. This would have to mean I scored somewhere between.....

...... 400 ( total mark) * 80% = 320 marks and 400*84% = 339 marks

So I knew I got somewhere between 320 - 339 which means in my oral I got somewhere between 40/100 and 59/100 for the oral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LaurenLK

Some restricted courses (medicine etc) arent always able to make a place for you, even if you do go up in points.... I'm checking 4 subjects today out of sheer curiosity. One piece of advice I'd give to anyone thinking of sending them away for an official re-check is to only do it if you think you lost out unfairly on marks that will move you up a grade. Like if it's 81%, there's a chance you could go down...
    Hope rechecking goes well for anyone doing it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Is anybody else really píssed off that you dont get to see your oral score for french and irish? I can understand that it would be too awkward for us to listen to the tapes but surely they could have written our oral score beside the overall calculations???!!!:mad:

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Is anybody else really píssed off that you dont get to see your oral score for french and irish? I can understand that it would be too awkward for us to listen to the tapes but surely they could have written our oral score beside the overall calculations???!!!:mad:

I know I was last year! I'd say they have some sneaky/good reason for not giving them... whatever that is I don't know. Maybe someone should email the SEC and demand answers!

I know I was last year! I'd say they have some sneaky/good reason for not giving them... whatever that is I don't know. Maybe someone should email the SEC and demand answers!

You were right about the oral marks! Why SEC!

I calculated it out and the least I should have got in my irish oral was 136/150. In french 79/100. I got A2s in both so i did it assuming i only scraped an A2. I could have been a mark from an a1 but I will never know!

Also in the prose section 5 marks for gaeilge was not added onto my total under abhar on the page but me thinks it wont make a difference I dont think as it was marked fair overall. I got 87/100 in my aiste but made some silly mistakes.

I got 50/50 for my letter and elizabeth bishop essay in english! Dead chuffed. 67/70 in the comparative and 54/60 in macbeth. Oh yah and 90/100 for my essay in paper 1! 368/400 overall.

In biology i got 371/400. chemistry 376/400 geography 460/500 and economics 325/400 after being bumped up by an advising examiner from 320/400 so i cant get that rechecked.

3 hours I thought was not enough! Well I mean i suppose it was but Im a slow enough reader!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

After reading over my history exam I feel really satisfied (not with the grade I got, but with the work I did if that makes sense)

And my english was hilarious, my paper one was A1 material but I got a B3 or something in paper 2 :pac:

It balanced out nicely. I'm so glad I viewed my scripts, I'd always be wondering if I didn't.

You were right about the oral marks! Why SEC!

I calculated it out and the least I should have got in my irish oral was 136/150. In french 79/100. I got A2s in both so i did it assuming i only scraped an A2. I could have been a mark from an a1 but I will never know!

Also in the prose section 5 marks for gaeilge was not added onto my total under abhar on the page but me thinks it wont make a difference I dont think as it was marked fair overall. I got 87/100 in my aiste but made some silly mistakes.

I got 50/50 for my letter and elizabeth bishop essay in english! Dead chuffed. 67/70 in the comparative and 54/60 in macbeth. Oh yah and 90/100 for my essay in paper 1! 368/400 overall.

In biology i got 371/400. chemistry 377/400 geography 460/500 and economics 325/400 after being bumped up by an advising examiner from 320/400 so i cant get that rechecked.

3 hours I thought was not enough! Well I mean i suppose it was but Im a slow enough reader!

Well done! Those are some good marks! I know what you mean about the three hours... I knew I couldn't appeal anything I had last year, but I still spent the full three hours looking at the papers. Gave me a great sense of closure after seeing how they were marked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

Got 536/600 in HL irish.89.33%.so f**kin pissed off.just 4 marks off an A1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

got 192/200 in english paper 1, and 180 something in paper 2! was delighted!
    and 170/400 in physics, got a D3 in it and was really curious to see what i got, i originally got 188 but then the advisor marked it and gave me 170!:(

and 93/100 for my history project!!

getting my french rechecked!

378/400 in economics!

Advertisement