Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with Huge ear rings/ear stretching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

6 billion people on the planet so a little extra plumage to stand out is no harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Stretching body parts has been around for centuries, meso-american tribes, african tribes where it's still done and even in ancient ireland.

Tongues, labrets (lip), lobes and nostrils were the most common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Well, he does raise a interesting point Will- how will you feel when you're 65 and your otherwise smooth and perfect non-wrinkled body will be marred by those unsightly saggy lobes?

Sure, you could be glad that you actually went through the time consuming process of stretching them, you could admire your extensive collection of hand carved jewellery, you could even be proud of yourself for achieving an aesthetic that you know YOU like, but you won't. Nope, it'll be off to the ear surgeon with you. And all because you didn't take your old age pensioner self into account.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

there's a lot of short fuses around tonight, kiera.
    I know! Whats that all about i ask you?

Where is the love, Tommy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GodSaveTheQueen

Pighead wrote: »
    You old judgemental so and so! What's with all this long term thinking nonsense! You sound like Pigheads mother! Live for the now and stop being so rigid and bound by rules. If you saw a red stripey jumper would you not buy it on account of the fact that stripes look dodgy on old people?

I'd happily wear a red stripy Jumper ala Where is Willy. One cannot say verbatim that they look wrong on old people.

Having "I love Pig Head" tattooed on my chest, while young and adventurous (too cool for school) to end up being dumped because he was in a phase and moved on from me, would be stupid if not heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Ugh ... have you seriously nothing better to be doing than judging other peoples' personal choices? Don't you think there are more important things in life? Does it really offend you that much to have to share the same earth as these people?

Maybe you're just jealous because some other people have enough imagination, personality and self-confidence to do something a little bit different with their appearance.

It mightn't be to your taste; it's not something I've personally ever considered; but if other people want to get it done then fair play to them!

http://www.crystalinks.com/bodypiercing.html <-- have a read there, some interesting stuff

The quote is from the site there.
    An Irish body-piercer has helped to solve a Bronze Age mystery. A series of enigmatic gold Ñboxesæ and Ñbobbinsæ dating back more than 3,000 years seem to have been ear-spools, worn in an enormously distended perforation through the lobe.

"I happened to see Paddy O'Donoghoe on the Late Late Show," Mary Cahill of the National Museum in Dublin explains in Archaeology Ireland. "My immediate reaction was to shout 'He is wearing the Ballinesker boxes in his ears'. " In fact Mr O'Donoghoe, who runs a piercing parlour called Bodyshock in Dublinºs Temple Bar district, was wearing a modern gold spool in a perforation nearly 3in across.

He joined Ms Cahill at the museum, which has one of the finest collections of prehistoric goldwork in Europe, and helped to identify several pieces as ancient ear-ornaments. One type, known as 'boxes', look very like a pillbox, with straight walls: a set from Mullingar are between 2in and 3in in diameter and an inch deep, and would have been held in the earlobe simply by the elasticity of the flesh.

A second type has slightly concave walls, so that the lobe would have been stretched over the rim before retracting back in place to hold the earspool tightly; a third kind has a relatively small central cylinder which was passed through the ear before the much wider outer and inner discs were attached.

All were made of thin sheet gold, decorated with sets of concentric circles: recent rock-art discoveries in Ireland have shown that a form of scribing compass was used to produce perfect circles. Similarly distended earlobes are known from many other cultures, ranging from the pre-Hispanic Maya and Aztec, who used jade and obsidian earspools as well as gold, to contemporary Swahili women in Kenya. "Some of us may be surprised that our Bronze Age ancestors were practitioners of body-piercing," Ms Cahill says. "In order to distend the earlobe to the required size the process must be carried out over a long period by hanging weights from the perforation. It can be painful, and carries the dangers inherent in any para-surgical procedure."

Other enigmatic gold objects may also have been fitted to various body parts, she suggests: "It is not too outrageous to propose that prehistoric people in Ireland may have pierced the rim of the ear, the septum and wings of the nose, or the mouth. Many of the ornaments may have been exclusive, based on sex, age or status: we do not know what symbolism they carried, but they embodied powerful meanings, perhaps even magic."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Will wrote: »
    Stretching body parts has been around for centuries, meso-american tribes, african tribes where it's still done and even in ancient ireland.

Tongues, labrets (lip), lobes and nostrils were the most common
    And other bits, in peoples minds at least......

Kiera wrote: »
    I know! Whats that all about i ask you?

Where is the love, Tommy?

I think the whole world's addicted to the drama,
    Only attracted to the things that bring you trauma...

Ugh ... have you seriously nothing better to be doing than judging other peoples' personal choices? Don't you think there are more important things in life? Does it really offend you that much to have to share the same earth as these people?

Maybe you're just jealous because some other people have enough imagination, personality and self-confidence to do something a little bit different with their appearance.

It mightn't be to your taste; it's not something I've personally ever considered; but if other people want to get it done then fair play to them!

I'm not judging anyone.

Are you?

:rolleyes:

Gauge wrote: »
    Well, he does raise a interesting point Will- how will you feel when you're 65 and your otherwise smooth and perfect non-wrinkled body will be marred by those unsightly saggy lobes?

Sure, you could be glad that you actually went through the time consuming process of stretching them, you could admire your extensive collection of hand carved jewellery, you could even be proud of yourself for achieving an aesthetic that you know YOU like, but you won't. Nope, it'll be off to the ear surgeon with you. And all because you didn't take your old age pensioner self into account.

*sigh*

I should probably just quit while I'm ahead and go now, I mean life is just too short. Should probably stop stretching my lip too *gasp*

• Advertisement

maybe have a read of the link I posted, or even look at the quoted piece

I like shiny things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Aw crap, what about my tongue and septum? I'll be kicked out of the bridge club :(

I should probably just quit my job as a care assistant and take up robbing banks and old women. We can set up our own bridge club Gauge, we can have tea and short cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'd happily wear a red stripy Jumper ala Where is Willy. One cannot say verbatim that they look wrong on old people.

Having "I love Pig Head" tattooed on my chest, while young and adventurous (too cool for school) to end up being dumped because he was in a phase and moved on from me, would be stupid if not heartbreaking.
    It's Where's Wally ya big eejit! Anyway what's getting a tattoo with a spurned lovers name on your body got to do with Will having his lobes stretched? Are you trying to say that Wills lobes are planning on dumping him because he put holes in them?

I should probably just quit my job as a care assistant and take up robbing banks and old women. We can set up our own bridge club Gauge, we can have tea and short cake.

Why would you consider giving up your job over this? I only asked a question and I didn't ask about you.

Relax dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

maybe have a read of the link I posted, or even look at the quoted piece
    Will, I'm not having a go at you. I agree that body piercing has been happening for as long as people have been on this planet. I'm in a good mood and making a few smart comments, that's all.

:eek:

Say it aint so Pighead :( Say it aint so

(welcome back btw)

Ah no, GodSaveTheQueen, I think my life is now ruined. You have opened my eyes to the trouble that lies ahead of me. The tattoos and piercings, not to mention the stretched piercings, it's all just crashing down around me now. My whole world. Gauge, I will bring the tea, you bring the shortcake.

Pighead wrote: »
    It's Where's Wally ya big eejit! Anyway what's getting a tattoo with a spurned lovers name on your body got to do with Will having his lobes stretched? Are you trying to say that Wills lobes are planning on dumping him because he put holes in them?

No. I was talking about jumpers with big red stripes on them and old people as per what you asked.

It was Where is wally, my bad.

:eek:

Say it aint so Pighead :( Say it aint so

(welcome back btw)

Ah no, GodSaveTheQueen, I think my life is now ruined. You have opened my eyes to the trouble that lies ahead of me. The tattoos and piercings, not to mention the stretched piercings, it's all just crashing down around me now. My whole world. Gauge, I will bring the tea, you bring the shortcake.

Try not to take it all so seriously. We were all young once and we were right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Middle-class types get away with elaborate earwear in AH. Inner city folks wouldn't get so much respect for wearing what they like earwise... :p

Nah, I've seen the error of my ways.

Quitting my job in the morning. There's a nice old woman up the road, she's an easy target. Can start off small and work my way up. Gotta live up to my stereotype I suppose

It was Where is wally, my bad.
    And there was me thinking you were being clever towards our Willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

OP: You seriously think it has anything to do with maturity?

I think it is a legitimate expression of taste and culture; body art and modification has long traditions in many cultures throughout history, as well as in the fetish scene and other strands of contempoary culture.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Will.

OMG.

YOU FILTHY DISGRACE!

HOW COULD YOU!

Any, Any chance of pics of your ink?

:cool:

ChewChew - Nah they're all crudely done drawings by back alley scratchers. Have ex-girlfriend's names all up my arm, and a few tears on my cheek for all the people I've off'ed in gang war fare. And I only started 5 minutes ago after GodSaveTheQueen's revelations

OP: You seriously think it has anything to do with maturity?

I think it is a legitimate expression of taste and culture; body art and modification has long traditions in many cultures throughout history, as well as in the fetish scene and other strands of contempoary culture.

No i do not think it has any thing to do with tradition and culture.

If I did I would be all for having sex with camels and raping a 12 year old because it was a tradition and culture.

Did you even know what you were saying? Perhaps you meant the nice traditions and cultures that suit the western way?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

ChewChew - Nah they're all crudely done drawings by back alley scratchers. Have ex-girlfriend's names all up my arm, and a few tears on my cheek for all the people I've off'ed in gang war fare. And I only started 5 minutes ago after GodSaveTheQueen's revelations

and to make it worse. . . . . your ginger.

For shame young William. For shame.

Yeah should really just grab an AK47 and find a clock tower somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No i do not think it has any thing to do with tradition and culture.

Well then you're wrong; body art does have a great deal of tradition and culture behind it. As for your crude metaphors, the difference there is that body art doesn't harm anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement