Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community [US] **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

ads20101 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if john oliver is going to make an appearance in this final season.

However he has gone into megastardom in the states with his HBO stuff.

But, I think we all need a bit of prof Duncan.

what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Magnitude. Pop pop!
    Dean. Buzz Hickey Memorial Service
    [...]

Well there go the last lingering hopes of a cameo from Jonathan Banks :(

Though I don't recall his passing being mentioned at any point - or did I miss that? Keith David should watch his back, seems like the nominated 'old guy' in the group keeps dying :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well there go the last lingering hopes of a cameo from Jonathan Banks :(

Though I don't recall his passing being mentioned at any point - or did I miss that? Keith David should watch his back, seems like the nominated 'old guy' in the group keeps dying :eek: :D

I don't either but I hope he went out solving an old case or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just the bit where they were trying to find the meaning for the episode had me in stitches.

and christ on a bike they've finally got the balance for chang spot on, he's been the right mix of crazy and coherent for most of this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

ads20101 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows if john oliver is going to make an appearance in this final season.

There was a thread on reddit the other week from a guy who asked him this at a taping of Last Week Tonight. Apparently he won't be in this season at all. Although, I'd take that with a pinch of salt seeing as it's Reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

He'll probably come back for the movie....

#SixSeasonsAndAMovie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I don't know about ye guys, but I really wanna buy a Honda

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Really felt that episode dragged. I was happy to see this season back and enjoyed the first couple episodes but to be honest, I think that may have just been, oh new community good will on my part. Think they are really starting to struggle.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I don't know about ye guys, but I really wanna buy a Honda

So many questions but they're all rhetorical and they all end with the word 'idiot'.

Again Chang was the highlight for me here. That powerpoint was fantastic, reminded me of the Dean's excel song in how random it was. I have to disagree with you connollys, I think it's really finding its groove again after a couple of ropey first few episodes.

I think this week's end tag has also been my favourite this season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah the scene where Frankie finds Dean surrounded by H*nda stuff was funny, as was the PowerPoint sketch with Chang, but the rest just felt like trying to give people something to do to fill the running time.

Britta's a non-character at this stage so all they can do is fall back on an older (funnier?) plotline, while Jeff's desire for Elroy to like him didn't seem to have the punch that previous seasons might have had; it felt like something that might have been a main-plotline.

Community used to be a show I'd be crazy excited to watch each week a new episode came along. Now it feels like a pleasant 25 minute filler show: not bad by any means but lacking that gold-star sparkle it used to have :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, I hate to say it.. but the extended running time is really hurting it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I agree on the running time and the pleasant 25 minute filler points. Cutting 5 minutes from episodes would make it better.

Still, Harmon and co have done a good job in keeping Community on track this season. Abed doing a Harmon-like joke on his lack of high jinks was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I think the episode with the karate kid stuff needed the extra time, but the others didn't

This weeks was the worst since the return in my opinion, by some stretch. Even the ropier episodes have had their good qualities, but this one felt like a fairly weak joke stretched across 27 tedious minutes. They've joked about Abed's low-rent movie making before, and even the Inspector Spacetime gags fished from the same pool, but in most cases they did it far better than this.

I feel like I'm ragging too much on Community on this thread, and I hate coming across as overly negative, but it's genuinely disappointing to watch something that used to be so zippy & enjoyable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I feel like I'm ragging too much on Community on this thread, and I hate coming across as overly negative, but it's genuinely disappointing to watch something that used to be so zippy & enjoyable :(

I think the negativity is justified. I remember for seasons 1-3 anyway and then again for season 5, I eagerly anticipated the new episode every single week, but now it's now longer must see TV and has just become another show on my list, that I'll get around to when I've got the time...

Not saying it's bad or anything - there have been some very good episodes this season, but I'm gladly hoping they wrap it up after this season (and obviously a final online movie featuring the return of Troy, Shirley, Duncan, Hickey, Starburns, Annie's Boobs and the ghost of Pierce, just so the shows destiny and war cry will be fulfilled).

Probably the biggest problem is when we lost Troy and Pierce, we had Duncan return and Hickey introduced before Troy's departure so they slotted right in and it just felt right, but this season we've lost Shirley, Duncan and Hickey, while Frankie and Elroy have kinda just been showhorned in there and while they're decent characters they just can't compete with their predecessors.

Anyway with the core cast getting involved in more and more outside projects (Danny Pudi, Ken Jeong and Jim Rash all have pilots in the works for the next network television season) the chances of another season are slim anyway.

HAMMMMMMMMMMM GURRRRRRRRRRRRL!

I liked this episode. The scene with Jeff and Abed was really touching. I think there is going to be something big with regards that in the next few episodes.

I've not been watching it the day it comes out either - I actually only remembered this evening that there was a new episode to watch. Whereas Monday mornings see me download Silicon Valley, Mad Men, Veep and Last Week Tonight. Community is still my favourite show, but I don't look forward to it as much as I used to. And going by how inactive this thread is compared to previous seasons, a good few people have switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Was it good or bad? I can't remember. All I can remember is Alison Brie. Haaaaaaam gurl

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I miss the Troy and Abed bromance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Two particularly funny moments
    "Also, I don't know if it helps, but, when I moved into my RV, I found this. Now, that, you notice anything strange? There's no green three in billiards. Now, there's a green six and a green fourteen, but never a green three. So, what sport is this from? And why was it in my RV?"
    Very reminiscent of Chang's detective days! "Stapler"

Also
    "I don't go the way I came?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Grifting 101: good ep - but some serious continuity errors with the whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wonder if the emphasis of the line "Because The Internet" and a mention of Troy might indicate a return of Donald Glover before the end of the season...

Because The Internet is the title of a Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) album for those who aren't familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I wonder if the emphasis of the line "Because The Internet" and a mention of Troy might indicate a return of Donald Glover before the end of the season...

Because The Internet is the title of a Childish Gambino (Donald Glover) album for those who aren't familiar...
    That caught my attention too. I have to say I thought Grifting 101 was a particularly solid episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Matt Berry was great. I must rewatch Garth Marenghi Dark Place again. And Toast of London. And The Mighty Boosh.

Damn.

I watched the first two episodes last week and they were painful, amongst the least fun episodes of TV that I have seen all year. If they had been the first episodes of a new show then it wouldn't be on the air after week three. The spark that made the show so special seems to have been lost, it's trying far too hard to be Communityesque that it forgets that the show was always at it's best when it didn't try so hard. I do hope that the remainder of the episodes improve but based on what I sad I have my doubts and think that the kindest thing to do would be to take Community out back and put a bullet in it.

Grifting 101 was solid, greatly upped by the addition of Matt Berry; I can't decide though if he's just a good one-off guest-star or whether he'd work as a full time cast member (not that it's likely or anything, but he injected a little life and the kind of British absurdity that Prof. Duncan added last season).

The urge to mimic Berry's voice when he pops up on TV is strong though:

iWb2fNwEfi5F7.jpg

Dan Harmon did a walkthrough of season 2 with the AV Club (worth a read) but he says of the first episode
    I knew that the hub of the show was that study room, so I knew that they had to, academically, have tasks ahead of them to thinly justify them sitting down at this “Cheers bar.â€

And I think this pretty much sums up the problem with Season 6 thus far. In every season there's been a class that they're all taking together and in Season 5 they were the Save Greendale Committee which was referenced throughout with Annie's wall of things to be done. I think it was briefly mentioned in the first episode of this season but aside from that I don't know why they all still gather around that table which is an issue. It hurts me to say it but the last two episodes have been pretty flat for me and *deep breath* I'm not sure I want a movie if it's going to be of this quality.

"You and he were... buddies, weren't you?" Sanch <3

Matt Berry is always brilliant, definitely think this would have been a much, much weaker episode without him.

Just 4 episodes left this season. Yeah, it's not been as good as before, and tbh I think a lot of that is down to Dan Harmon. I get the impression from Harmontown that he's a bit fed up with the show. Or in a bit of a creative rut with it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭threebagsfull

Even with Matt Berry, it was slow and dull.

Troy is a bigger loss than I thought, noone around to come up with those crazy ideas, and Abed is nothing without him. So it's like they've lost 2 cast members there.

And even though I didn't like Shirley that much, the way she'd make other people guilty for religious / moral reasons or for assuming she's older than she is, and then occasionally showing she's not a saint herself was a an important part of the show too.

I miss Pierce the most.

I watched the first 3/4 episodes of Season 1 and one thing that struck me was just how cheap Season 6 is when compared against previous runs. Most of this season has been confined to two or three interior sets, filmed with boring static shots, in which you mostly saw the main cast and maybe the guest star; Season 1 has lots of bright exterior scenes, plenty of tracking shots, blue skies and dozens of extras.

It's no wonder I've found Season 6 so boring in places, because its dull even from a simple visual point of view. also pretty amazing just how different Britta was: meddling and sanctimonious but still street smart and comes across as more switched on than someone like Jeff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I watched the first 3/4 episodes of Season 1 and one thing that struck me was just how cheap Season 6 is when compared against previous runs. Most of this season has been confined to two or three interior sets, filmed with boring static shots, in which you mostly saw the main cast and maybe the guest star; Season 1 has lots of bright exterior scenes, plenty of tracking shots, blue skies and dozens of extras.

It's no wonder I've found Season 6 so boring in places, because its dull even from a simple visual point of view. also pretty amazing just how different Britta was: meddling and sanctimonious but still street smart and comes across as more switched on than someone like Jeff.

Episode ten really ups the ante with spending absolutely nothing. Terrible episode. I can recall two or three slight chuckles.
    The best parts of the season have invoked the boys where it's not community. This episode with the giant hand and watch. The fake movie the Portuguese gremlins.
    And where was Chang in this episode? Barely in the last one either.
    I miss Starburns, Magnitude and all those guys.

Advertisement