Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad LC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Jes keep your hair on..Just offering my opinion. He's old enough to take it on the chin and or ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

I'm in a bit pf a bad situation now, all my level 8's require a C3 in higher maths but i got a D1, still have some options yet, pretty sure ill defo get my level 7, can you progress from a level 7 into a level 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ateam wrote: »
    Jes keep your hair on..Just offering my opinion. He's old enough to take it on the chin and or ignore it.

Take it to pm or helpdesk if you've a problem with mod decisions.
    Do Not post in this thread off topic again. Have some cop on. I'm very serious,do not reply unless in a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Alright, clearly you have a complete lack of tact and your attitude suggests that you have nothing at all worthwhile to contribute here.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Craigsy wrote: »
    I'm in a bit pf a bad situation now, all my level 8's require a C3 in higher maths but i got a D1, still have some options yet, pretty sure ill defo get my level 7, can you progress from a level 7 into a level 8?

some of the colleges do special maths exams for people who missed the HC3. They will probably be on next week or soon after. its the same level as higher leaving cert maths

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »
    some of the colleges do special maths exams for people who missed the HC3. They will probably be on next week or soon after. its the same level as higher leaving cert maths

Yeah im already down for one of those, have the sample paper already and all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

RobertM wrote: »
    There are the courses I've applied to

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DN072 Civil Engineering
    2. DT025 Engineering - Common 1st Year
    3. DN074 Mechanical Engineering
    4. DN076 Biosystems Engineering
    5. DT081 Computer and Communications Engineering
    6. DC121 Computer Applications
    7. DC195 Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
    8. DC193 Mechatronic Engineering
    9. BN106 Engineering (Computer Engineering)
    10. BN105 Engineering (Mechatronics)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. DT004 Civil Engineering
    2. DK744 Engineering - Civil Engineering
    3. DT007 Automotive Management and Technology
    4. DT006 Mechanical Engineering
    5. DT002 Engineering Systems Maintenance
    6. DT005 Building Services Engineering
    7. DK743 Engineering - Building Services Engineering
    8. DK762 Communications (Creative Multimedia)
    9. DT105 Architectural Technology
    10. DT020 Preliminary Engineering

The first one's were around 400 points, but now I don't know.

As you have failed LC Engineering, do you really think you are cut out for Engineering at 3rd Level? I would respectivley suggest that you would seriously struggle to complete 1st Year Engineering at any college.

Did you expect to fail it?

Perhaps you should reconsider your choices.

As you have failed LC Engineering, do you really think you are cut out for Engineering at 3rd Level?

None of us know why he failed Engineering: sometimes people just have a bad day at an exam.
    Also, engineering is quite a broad subject and at 3rd level there'll be options to branch out into other areas.

If Engineering is what the OP really wants and he's determined enough to get it, then he'll surely find a way to achieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hey there lads, Passed english, maths and french in my LC but failed 2 other subjects ( engineering and classical studies) do I have to repeat the year again ? very worried until monday.

if it's any consolation to you, the only thing I can remember about my leaving (which I did in 91, and again in 92) is that I got less points than you. And I'm grand :) It might take you longer to get where you want to go, but if you want it bad enough, you'll get there.

Chin up little dude, it's not as bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

None of us know why he failed Engineering: sometimes people just have a bad day at an exam.
    Also, engineering is quite a broad subject and at 3rd level there'll be options to branch out into other areas.

If Engineering is what the OP really wants and he's determined enough to get it, then he'll surely find a way to achieve it.

I was asking the OP..not you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

pathway33 wrote: »
    the 3 year level 7 degree in engineering (BN015) in blanchardstown IT is on vacant places on www.cao.ie. You can apply for that tuesday at 12 i think if you don't have it on your cao. If it's on your cao and you satisfy these minimum requirements

The minimum entry requirements for standard entrants are a pass in five subjects (ordinary level) in the Leaving Certificate, to include Mathematics and English or Irish, or an equivalent qualification.

then you already have it.congratulations. enjoy your course. You can tell your mum to start looking at hats because you will have a degree in engineering in 3 years
    I have applied in blanch as well

As you have failed LC Engineering, do you really think you are cut out for Engineering at 3rd Level? I would respectivley suggest that you would seriously struggle to complete 1st Year Engineering at any college.

Did you expect to fail it?

of course I didn't expect to fail it, but on the practical day or teacher made us do a wrong piece and all of us messed up the piece. so I think that might have something to do with it. And for the project, he didn't really give us enough time after school to do it. He said he gave us time since November last year every morning to do it, but he rarely came in the mornings.

Actually Engineering is the subject that I Love, but I actually don't know what happened to me that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The LC is nothing but a stupid allocation mechanism, so you shouldn't feel that way. I'm not getting into college this year because I did badly in an area that's always been my weakest area and that has/will never have any bearing on my life or my intelligence.

Not to be a prude but it is what it is and people have to make the best of it...Im not a big fan of it myself but come on like, what other way could they test your mental ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

theres always more than one way to skin a cat! dont give up hope, if you're determined enough you'll get to do what you want! does your school not have a career guidance teacher in for the next few days to help with this kinda thing? you'll be grand, in a few years you'll be wondering why you worried so much!

I was asking the OP..not you.

:rolleyes:

Well I thought your question was a bit harsh, which is why I responded.
    If he has pretty much filled his CAO with Engineering courses, then it's a pretty good indication that it's what he wants. Asking him if he should consider something else, only hours after he got his results, is not appropriate tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I didn't get the points I wanted to get first time around. I repeated and did a bit better. Don't sweat it. You'll be fine.

Minor setback. It's only a year if you repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Fol20 wrote: »
    Not to be a prude but it is what it is and people have to make the best of it...Im not a big fan of it myself but come on like, what other way could they test your mental ability

There's plenty of other ways to test one's mental ability. A majority of the time, it's nothing but learning notes off and cramming in useless information on stuff that's totally irrelevant to the real world.

Why did I have to study a poem in a redundant language about a nutcase who gets on the bus in his pyjamas when what I want to do is psychology? How is learning the theme, issue and cultural context of a novel I don't even find remotely challenging or interesting (Curious Incident) helping me test my mental ability? Why is learning the signatories of the Irish Proclamation helpful to me when I what I want to do in life is design websites?

I know I have mental ability, and the Leaving Certificate is far from the best way of testing one's academic ability. I don't want to derail the topic any further by going on about whether or not we could do away with the LC but that's just my two cents on the issue.

Can you advance from a level 7 into a level 8 degree? I wanted a level 8 but i didnt get a C3 in higher maths. Should get my choice in the level &, Mech eng in DIT, was 330 last year, i got 415.Doing the maths again though so still a hope i may get the level 8. going for a recheck in maths though on the off chance i actually manage a C3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

PLC course -> level 7 degree -> level 8 degree

This route can be taken as you simply need to pass 5 subjects in the
    LC to apply for a PLC course. 25 points minimum and you are in.

Just remember to work hard, and you will have a very, very good chance
    of getting into DIT or other IT's around the country.

I know some people who have taken this route, and are doing
    very well. As said before, Chin up dude:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Craigsy wrote: »
    Can you advance from a level 7 into a level 8 degree? I wanted a level 8 but i didnt get a C3 in higher maths. Should get my choice in the level &, Mech eng in DIT, was 330 last year, i got 415.Doing the maths again though so still a hope i may get the level 8. going for a recheck in maths though on the off chance i actually manage a C3

Yep, DIT and most colleges do this.

Go for the level 7 Engineering degree in say DIT, and advance straight to 4th year
    when you finish 3th year, which means you can get an hons degree.

You seem to have the aptitude, shoot for it.
    Just make sure it'š what you really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

140 points. i feel like a total retard right now

Mate don't put yourself down like that. You just had a bad time in the exams. It happens and is common. I'm sure you're more intelligent than you think you are right now.

Go out tonight, forget about it and assess your options next week with a clear mind. Everything will be ok. The LC is NOT the end of the world. Don't forget that.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mate don't put yourself down like that. You just had a bad time in the exams. It happens and is common. I'm sure you're more intelligent than you think you are right now.

Go out tonight, forget about it and assess your options next week with a clear mind. Everything will be ok. The LC is NOT the end of the world. Don't forget that.
    It keeps coming in mind that a teacher in my school once said " Your LC is the way to your future and will represent you"

I've talked to my mom and she comforted me in every way she could, and she's not angry so that's a good start.

Well then, I'll wait until Monday to see what are my options.

thanks all

It keeps coming in mind that a teacher in my school once said " Your LC is the way to your future and will represent you"

I've talked to my mom and she comforted me in every way she could, and she's not angry so that's a good start.

Well then, I'll wait until Monday to see what are my options.

thanks all

She's wrong. A set of exams do not define your future. You define your future. Everyone takes different paths to get there so don't worry at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Not to happy with what I got. Anyway, has anyone here gone to a college without knowing ANYONE at all? If so, do you recommend it or is it pretty tough knowing noone? I was hoping to get into WIT where a mate of mine was also going, he did get in but I didnt get the right maths grade. I probably will have to go somewhere else on my own or keep an eye on the alert list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

She's wrong. A set of exams do not define your future. You define your future. Everyone takes different paths to get there so don't worry at all.

Exactly.

I did a muck leaving and doing the PLC route (which is supposedly dead according to the OP's guidance councillor) got me into an excellent course.

Also, I didnt do engineering for the leaving and I now have a degree in it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Not to happy with what I got. Anyway, has anyone here gone to a college without knowing ANYONE at all? If so, do you recommend it or is it pretty tough knowing noone? I was hoping to get into WIT where a mate of mine was also going, he did get in but I didnt get the right maths grade. I probably will have to go somewhere else on my own or keep an eye on the alert list.

A load of people start college on their own and feel like they're in way over their head but a lot of people are still in the same boat as you.

It is daunting and nerve racking but blend in, talk to people and you'll be making friends in no time. Trust me from experience.

I'm starting afresh in Dundalk in September but the only advantage I have over others is how to get to places. I won't know anybody in my year.

Just relax and throw yourself into the college experience.

A load of people start college on their own and feel like they're in way over their head but a lot of people are still in the same boat as you.

It is daunting and nerve racking but blend in, talk to people and you'll be making friends in no time. Trust me from experience.

I'm starting afresh in Dundalk in September but the only advantage I have over others is how to get to places. I won't know anybody in my year.

Just relax and throw yourself into the college experience.
    I have 2 courses applied for in Dundalk, maybe I'll meet u there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Maybe try get a job or emigrate having got 140 points - that's pretty awful. Perhaps academia isn't for you.
    Piste wrote: »
    ateam your comments are pretty insensitive, please try to be less rude and tactless in the future. There were much better ways of saying what you were trying to say without being hurtful. Poor tact and lack of social skills are far worse than bad academic skills.
    Nerin wrote: »
    ateam Infracted. Any more comments like that and youre out.
    While I agree ateam wasn't the most tactful at getting his point across, I think I see what he was getting at. Everyone is very quick to judge pushy parents of talentless children who lull them into a false hope of thinking that they are going to be the next superstar when in fact they are hopeless and wasting their time. I think the same could be said here. What is the point in giving the OP a false hope thinking that he has the academic skills and mental ability required to study a college course. I know if I had spent the past 13 years of my life in school and ended up with (a measly) 140 points, I would be seeking an avenue that didn't take into account my Leaving Cert results, e.g. an apprenticeship or other unskilled job. I certainly wouldn't be wasting any more time trying to improve unless I was damn certain I could make a vast improvement.
    neil_18_ wrote: »
    Did u not watch the "irish young and wealty" show the other day? Most of the millionaires didn't even sit a leaving cert and look where they are now!
    They're not retarded and your not either ! :D
    I agree, everybody on here seems very PC and of the opinion that one needs a good Leaving Certificate to succeed in life, that is very much not the case. I did quite well in my Leaving Certificate, however I know of a good few people from my school who weren't suited to academia who are now earning far more than I am. As ateam suggests, "Perhaps academia isn't for you" and who's to say that that's a bad thing,

Oh and OP, good luck in whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

fletch wrote: »
    I know if I had spent the past 13 years of my life in school and ended up with (a measly) 140 points, I would be seeking an avenue that didn't take into account my Leaving Cert results, e.g. an apprenticeship or other unskilled job. I certainly wouldn't be wasting any more time trying to improve unless I was damn certain I could make a vast improvement.

From what I know the only reason OP ended up with 140 was because he/she ended up counting ordinary level subjects rather than the 2 higher ones he/she failed. For all we know he/she could have failed by a mere 2 or 3%. Had OP passed those they would have an extra 90 points minus the lowest points they are currently counting (probably 10 or 15). So that moves OP to 220ish. A very respectable score.

There are many degree courses in the country that people who have 140 points (with no bad luck as the OP had) are capable of doing. The colleges would hardly allow people into them if they did not think they were capable of passing them. Surely that would be unethical on the colleges part. Plus what college wants to get a name for lots of drop outs.

If people fail in college it isn't because they don't have the brains. It's either because they are not interested in the course or are having too much fun.

fletch: Indeed, you do not necessarily need a good Leaving Cert to succeed in life and academia is not for everyone. But if the OP believes he can achieve better results and he wants to give the Leaving Cert another go, that's fair enough. It may not be a case of "false hope". Only he can really judge that for himself.

Oh and throwing around words like "talentless", "hopeless" and "measly" is also quite tactless and isn't helpful at all.

OP: Best of luck. Hopefully things will work out, whether you choose to repeat or go down another route.

• Advertisement

just wanted to ask you, as i`m not convinced, I've looked up my results on the website, because I didn't get a chance to go today in school. so the question:

Do the marks on the website include the marks of the projects as well, or only the papers ?

Advertisement