Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad LC

Options
  • 12-08-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

hey there lads, Passed english, maths and french in my LC but failed 2 other subjects ( engineering and classical studies) do I have to repeat the year again ? very worried until monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I failed OL maths so things could always be a lot worse. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do now. I guess I'll have to repeat the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

hope u get sorted out well mate.. I've got higher grades in the mocks than the actual exam in english and french

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

RobertM wrote: »
    hey there lads, Passed english, maths and french in my LC but failed 2 other subjects ( engineering and classical studies) do I have to repeat the year again ? very worried until monday.

it depends, what are your course requirements?

around 300 points, things aren't looking good are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

i was looking for a c3 in higher irish.
    i got a d1.

• Advertisement

Well I meant in terms of matruclation, does it require a pass in at least 5 subjects? What points did you get?

140 points. i feel like a total retard right now

The LC is nothing but a stupid allocation mechanism, so you shouldn't feel that way. I'm not getting into college this year because I did badly in an area that's always been my weakest area and that has/will never have any bearing on my life or my intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

your far from a retard.if you go back next year you'll be much better prepared.There is light at the end of the tunnel.My advise is go out tonight and enjoy yourself,theres plenty of time to consider your opitions next week.

can't even think about what my mom's got to say about this.. jeez', can't wait till next week

• Advertisement

Can you tell us what the course is and where it is? We might be able to find alternative cpurses you can apply to outside of the CAO.

sry 4 the double post, but I was thinking, Why can't the leaving cert be like the "Bac" in France ? like do it in June, then get the results in July and if you failed a subject, do it again in August, why can't it be that simple and have to wait for another year :(

Piste wrote: »
    Can you tell us what the course is and where it is? We might be able to find alternative cpurses you can apply to outside of the CAO.

There are the courses I've applied to

Level 8 Course Choices:
    DN072 Civil Engineering
    DT025 Engineering - Common 1st Year
    DN074 Mechanical Engineering
    DN076 Biosystems Engineering
    DT081 Computer and Communications Engineering
    DC121 Computer Applications
    DC195 Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
    DC193 Mechatronic Engineering
    BN106 Engineering (Computer Engineering)
    BN105 Engineering (Mechatronics)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:

DT004 Civil Engineering
    DK744 Engineering - Civil Engineering
    DT007 Automotive Management and Technology
    DT006 Mechanical Engineering
    DT002 Engineering Systems Maintenance
    DT005 Building Services Engineering
    DK743 Engineering - Building Services Engineering
    DK762 Communications (Creative Multimedia)
    DT105 Architectural Technology
    DT020 Preliminary Engineering

The first one's were around 400 points, but now I don't know.

can't even think about what my mom's got to say about this.. jeez', can't wait till next week
    your mum will be disappointed but at the end of the day she'll support ya whatever you do,thats whats the mammies are for :P

what are the other options at the moment ? except repeating.

There are the courses I've applied to

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DN072 Civil Engineering
    2. DT025 Engineering - Common 1st Year
    3. DN074 Mechanical Engineering
    4. DN076 Biosystems Engineering
    5. DT081 Computer and Communications Engineering
    6. DC121 Computer Applications
    7. DC195 Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
    8. DC193 Mechatronic Engineering
    9. BN106 Engineering (Computer Engineering)
    10. BN105 Engineering (Mechatronics)

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. DT004 Civil Engineering
    2. DK744 Engineering - Civil Engineering
    3. DT007 Automotive Management and Technology
    4. DT006 Mechanical Engineering
    5. DT002 Engineering Systems Maintenance
    6. DT005 Building Services Engineering
    7. DK743 Engineering - Building Services Engineering
    8. DK762 Communications (Creative Multimedia)
    9. DT105 Architectural Technology
    10. DT020 Preliminary Engineering

The first one's were around 400 points, but now I don't know.
    you could probably do a PLC in Civil Engineering.just because you failed Engineering in the LC that doesnt mean you wont be able to do Civil Engineering,LC engineering is more guided towards Mechancial Engineering than Civil.

Another way of looking at it is if you do a year PLC and then do a 4 year Degree in Civil Engineering,you'll be just graduating in time.This recession might be over by then and we'll be lookinh for plenty of Civil Engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Did u not watch the "irish young and wealty" show the other day? Most of the millionaires didn't even sit a leaving cert and look where they are now!
    They're not retarded and your not either ! :D

I want to do a PLC too but I thought you could only apply for those via the CAO? What my mates said since a lot of them did it.

you could probably do a PLC in Civil Engineering.just because you failed Engineering in the LC that doesnt mean you wont be able to do Civil Engineering,LC engineering is more guided towards Mechancial Engineering than Civil.

Another way of looking at it is if you do a year PLC and then do a 4 year Degree in Civil Engineering,you'll be just graduating in time.This recession might be over by then and we'll be lookinh for plenty of Civil Engineers.
    The Career Counsellor said that PLC courses are "dead" at the moment in Ireland.

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Did u not watch the "irish young and wealty" show the other day? Most of the millionaires didn't even sit a leaving cert and look where they are now!
    They're not retarded and your not either ! :D
    maybe you're right

This course looks like it'd be good for you: http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

To apply you only need your Leaving Cert, no subjects specified, just your LC. The application date is up until September 09 so you should be able to apply right away. It also says "This course is widely recognised by DIT and other institutes of technology in Engineering and Electronics courses for alternative entry qualification. Our students have been particularly successful at third level." so you could end up moving on to Engineering in DIT.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    This course looks like it'd be good for you: http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

To apply you only need your Leaving Cert, no subjects specified, just your LC. The application date is up until September 09 so you should be able to apply right away. It also says "This course is widely recognised by DIT and other institutes of technology in Engineering and Electronics courses for alternative entry qualification. Our students have been particularly successful at third level." so you could end up moving on to Engineering in DIT.

Hope this helps!
    It just points me to the search page. not a course there.

Whoops, I'll try find the webpage. You have civil engineering in Dundalk down, that was 140 points last year, it could go down this year because of the decreasde in applications for engineering courses. That said, you might not have met the course requirements.

Ok I can't seem to fin d a link that will bring you straight to the page, so it'll have to be a copy and paste jobby.

Course Name Mechanical Engineering
    Course Provider St. Kevin's College Crumlin
    VTOS Information Click to View
    Course Code CENGT
    Course Type PLC Post Leaving Cert
    Qualifications FETAC Level 5 Certificate from: Further Education and Training Awards Council
    Apply To Course provider
    Attendance Options Full time
    Location (Districts) Crumlin
    Course Content The aim of this course is to help entry into Mechanical Engineering through recognised apprenticeships or through third level courses elsewhere. The course has been quite successful for participants over the years frequently leading to immediate employment in the engineering industry.
    FETAC Code CENGT - Engineering Technology
    Duration 1 year
    Course Fee All further Education courses are supported by the European Social Fund. There are no tuition fees for Irish students and students who are citizens of other EU Member states. Candidates who are Non-EU citizens should contact the college office for details of entry conditions. The cost for the following items:
    Books, some equipment, clothing, student services, Students Union, examination fees and registration charges for professional bodies will continue to be borne by the student.
    Financial Support

Expand+Maintenance grants are available to students attending full-time approved courses in St. Kevin's College. A means test applies and the level of the grant varies according to the distance from the student's home to the college. Students apply for the ...

Hide-Maintenance grants are available to students attending full-time approved courses in St. Kevin's College. A means test applies and the level of the grant varies according to the distance from the student's home to the college. Students apply for the PLC Maintenance grant to their local Vocational Education Committee (VEC). Information and application packs are available in late July of each year. Our student support officer will be happy to assist you with any difficulties you may have in completing the application form.
    Interview Yes - March, April, May and early September
    Application Date January to September 2009
    Subjects Taught The areas covered are as follows:
    - Engineering Workshop Processes and Practice
    - Engineering Workshop Theory
    - Computer Aided Design (2-D)
    - Mechanics
    - Mathematics
    - Physics
    - French
    - Materials Science
    - Communications
    - Word Processing
    - Work Experience
    Mature Entry Places Mature students are welcome to apply
    Entry Requirements Leaving Certificate or equivalent examination, although consideration will be given at the interview to any well-motivated student.

We are looking for enthusiasts.

Mature students are particularly welcome.
    Careers or Further Progression This is recognised by DIT and other institutes of technology in Engineering courses for alternative entry qualification. We have a close link with the Institute of Technology, Tallaght. Our students have been particularly successful at third level.
    Further Enquiries Course Co-ordinator
    Mr Neil Dunphy
    Tel: 01 453 6397
    email: info@stkevins.cdvec.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Maybe try get a job or emigrate having got 140 points - that's pretty awful. Perhaps academia isn't for you.

ateam wrote: »
    Maybe try get a job or emigrate having got 140 points - that's pretty awful. Perhaps academia isn't for you.

That's a real self-esteem booster for someone, right? Comments like that aren't helpful in the least and aren't welcome here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

That's a real self-esteem booster for someone, right? Comments like that aren't helpful in the least and aren't welcome here.

Truth hurts.

ateam your comments are pretty insensitive, please try to be less rude and tactless in the future. There were much better ways of saying what you were trying to say without being hurtful. Poor tact and lack of social skills are far worse than bad academic skills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭fabgooner

ateam i don't think u'll b getting a job in de samaritans anytime soon

u shud really think before u write such unhelpful comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ateam Infracted. Any more comments like that and youre out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

what are the other options at the moment ? except repeating.

the 3 year level 7 degree in engineering (BN015) in blanchardstown IT is on vacant places on www.cao.ie. You can apply for that tuesday at 12 i think if you don't have it on your cao. If it's on your cao and you satisfy these minimum requirements

The minimum entry requirements for standard entrants are a pass in five subjects (ordinary level) in the Leaving Certificate, to include Mathematics and English or Irish, or an equivalent qualification.

then you already have it.congratulations. enjoy your course. You can tell your mum to start looking at hats because you will have a degree in engineering in 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 NorthernRock

Does anyone know if you can get into GTI plc courses with 4 passes(1 in foundation)

Advertisement