Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

cazzzzz wrote: »
    That is true but saying that if you really feel you have done much better than the grade you were given,even after viewing the scripts isn't it only fair for you to be upgraded?

Most students feel they did better because they were getting As in class essays. However, if they didn't answer the question asked in the exam, they lost marks. A big example was the last short story option. A lot of students wrote a short story featuring one of the people in the photos instead of one featuring a photograph.

If you do feel that overall your whole paper was marked too harshly, do get it rechecked but bear in mind that they will NOT bump someone up a sub-grade e.g. from a C2 to a C1. You have some chance with a whole grade.

Make sure you have someone with experience of marking with you when viewing the scripts, it's invaluable.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Mr.S wrote: »
    It wasn't.

it was marked the same way it always was.

Same amount of A's, B's, C's etc.
    I think some were expecting it to marked easier because of Louthgate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Mr.S wrote: »
    It wasn't.

it was marked the same way it always was.

Same amount of A's, B's, C's etc.

That's the problem. Practically everyone in my year (and lots of other people I know across the country) got marks which don't reflect their standard- ie higher than their standard or lower than their standard. Hence why I said it wasn't marked hard- it was marked dodgily. And as a result, some people I know missed out on their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Out of 30 in our class, honours by the way, we had 10 A's!

That's the problem. Practically everyone in my year (and lots of other people I know across the country) got marks which don't reflect their standard- ie higher than their standard or lower than their standard. Hence why I said it wasn't marked hard- it was marked dodgily. And as a result, some people I know missed out on their course.

Your mark reflects your performance in the exam, not your standard!!!! A stream of As from your teacher for prepared essays in class does not = an A in the LC.

Do people seriously think that every exam in the country was marked 'dodgily' and the State Exams Commission haven't noticed?!:rolleyes:

Go and view your paper, get it rechecked if you feel it was unfairly marked and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

deemark wrote: »
    Most students feel they did better because they were getting As in class essays. However, if they didn't answer the question asked in the exam, they lost marks. A big example was the last short story option. A lot of students wrote a short story featuring one of the people in the photos instead of one featuring a photograph.

If you do feel that overall your whole paper was marked too harshly, do get it rechecked but bear in mind that they will NOT bump someone up a sub-grade e.g. from a C2 to a C1. You have some chance with a whole grade.

Make sure you have someone with experience of marking with you when viewing the scripts, it's invaluable.

Good luck!

Why wouldn't they move someone up a sub-grade? Shouldn't they do that if someone actually got a C1 rather than a C2? And I've heard of people going from an A2 to an A1 on a recheck... :confused:

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they move someone up a sub-grade? Shouldn't they do that if someone actually got a C1 rather than a C2? And I've heard of people going from an A2 to an A1 on a recheck... :confused:

The appeal markers are encouraged not to change anything unless it's a major error. If there are only 5/6 marks in the difference, they won't change it. If it's obviously a B1 script that has been marked as a D1, they will change it.

Bear in mind that some of these scripts have been marked twice, if not three times. A script could be marked as a C1 by the examiner, as a C2 by an advising examiner and remarked as a C1 by the original examiner. That wouldn't be changed again in a recheck.

When viewing your script, look at the PCLM to see why you were marked down. A huge amount of students do well-written answers, but don't answer the question asked.

Good luck.

The appeal markers are encouraged not to change anything unless it's a major error. If there are only 5/6 marks in the difference, they won't change it. If it's obviously a B1 script that has been marked as a D1, they will change it.

Bear in mind that some of these scripts have been marked twice, if not three times. A script could be marked as a C1 by the examiner, as a C2 by an advising examiner and remarked as a C1 by the original examiner. That wouldn't be changed again in a recheck.

When viewing your script, look at the PCLM to see why you were marked down. A huge amount of students do well-written answers, but don't answer the question asked.

Good luck.

Ah, ok. I'm getting Business rechecked. I don't need it for points, but I got an A2, and I really feel that should be an A1. I'm certain I answered everything properly, and I've always been an A1 student (I know that doesn't technically matter, but still...)

I know of several people who went up from an A2 to an A1 (all in Business, coincidentally...) Maybe that's different to the C2/C1 scenario? I don't know...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I was always a C1/B3 student in English. Got a C2 in the LC last year.
    Somehow pulled a A2 out of the bag this year. To say I was shocked was an understatement.
    Thank you Louth.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I think mine was marked fine. I usually get around D1/C3 in class but I worked harder before exams and managed to push it up to a C2. My biggest shock was Chemistry jumping from the mocks(E) to the real thing(B3). Maybe thats why i only went up one sub grade in english, coz I was studying Chem so hard... Ah well!Im still totally happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

english was marked fine.............the marking reflects how well you did on the day not how well you did for "teacher" all year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ah, ok. I'm getting Business rechecked. I don't need it for points, but I got an A2, and I really feel that should be an A1. I'm certain I answered everything properly, and I've always been an A1 student (I know that doesn't technically matter, but still...)

I know of several people who went up from an A2 to an A1 (all in Business, coincidentally...) Maybe that's different to the C2/C1 scenario? I don't know...

Thanks.

Why?!If you needed it for points I'd understand but to get something checked that will potentially cost you money.Just because you think you should of got an A1 but got an A2!

It would be like passing the theory test and then re-doing it cause you got a question wrong,It makes no difference as long as you passed it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Why?!If you needed it for points I'd understand but to get something checked that will potentially cost you money.Just because you think you should of got an A1 but got an A2!

It would be like passing the theory test and then re-doing it cause you got a question wrong,It makes no difference as long as you passed it :confused:
    It will cost money aswell, as far as I understand it. You only get the money back if you go up a grade, like C --> B or B --> A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Good luck!

Are you a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I always kind of thought my teacher was a hard marker and I always just managed C3's / D1's.. Got an A2 in the Leaving.. :pac::D

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Are you a teacher?

Thought it was obvious...yes:)

Ricky91t wrote: »

I know it doesn't make any difference for points; it's just a matter of principle. I worked VERY hard at Business during the year and I'm certain I deserved an A1 considering how well the paper went. I'm going to view the paper (obviously) - if I should have gotten an A1, then I'm getting a recheck. I'm not going to let the SEC away with giving me the wrong grade, if the paper wasn't marked properly.

Thought it was obvious...yes:)

Fair enough.

I remember all my friends saying that they found the macbeth question so easy on the ''compelling drama''. I was like wtf? that has so many elements to it that it would be very diffcult to sustain a coherent argumentative answer.

I did the disasterous consequences one and that too was kinda difficult as I had to use the stuff I learned and re jig it a little.

Conclusion, the people in my class who did the compelling drama got lower grades.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

i did the macbeth question on the compelling drama, got an A1! but i didn't expect that a B1 was the most i thought i would get tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I know it doesn't make any difference for points; it's just a matter of principle. I worked VERY hard at Business during the year and I'm certain I deserved an A1 considering how well the paper went. I'm going to view the paper (obviously) - if I should have gotten an A1, then I'm getting a recheck. I'm not going to let the SEC away with giving me the wrong grade, if the paper wasn't marked properly.

It's not like they did in deliberately!It was a mistake and I'm sure they're not all chatting going "I'm so pleased we caught out (INSERT YOUR EXAM NUMBER HERE) in his business paper".We're all human and all make mistakes,Think yourself lucky you're not one of those desperately trying to find 10-15 points to be eligible for their course..

I know it's principle and all that but at the end of the day you got an A,Which is fine,It just seems crazy you're going to waste your time,Possibly your teachers if you ask them to come along with you viewing the script and then money getting it checked,All for making sure the SEC doesn't get the over on you..

Each to their own i suppose!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I remember all my friends saying that they found the macbeth question so easy on the ''compelling drama''. I was like wtf? that has so many elements to it that it would be very diffcult to sustain a coherent argumentative answer.

I did the disasterous consequences one and that too was kinda difficult as I had to use the stuff I learned and re jig it a little.

Conclusion, the people in my class who did the compelling drama got lower grades.:pac:

I've noticed that in our English class too. Although a lot of people in my class had a habit of not reading the question and just going in to write general Macbeth waffle :o

english4490, You probably answered the question asked :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Your mark reflects your performance in the exam, not your standard!!!! A stream of As from your teacher for prepared essays in class does not = an A in the LC.

What's the point of the LC if results doesn't broadly reflect the students work-rate and ability as demonstrated throughout the year?

Obviously, it can always happen that things go wrong on the day and that you screw up. But not everybody I know who got results which don't reflect their consistent marks throughout 5th and 6th year could've screwed up on the day.

Also, maybe you think our teachers were marking easy. But how can it happen that many many people, taught by the same teachers, got A1s in English in my school in years gone by and yet no-one in my school got one this year?

Do people seriously think that every exam in the country was marked 'dodgily' and the State Exams Commission haven't noticed?!:rolleyes:

Yes. There could've been something amiss or unfair (or frankly ridiculous) with the marking scheme. They're not infallible. They are, however, self-righteous and often unjustly dismissive of people looking for rechecks.
    Go and view your paper, get it rechecked if you feel it was unfairly marked and move on.

Sorry for talking about it on this thread in this forum. How very whiny of me!

EDIT: For the record, lots of people I know, myself included, scored lower in the LC than in the mocks. A girl who got an A1 in the mocks got a B2. Apparently, our mocks were marked by one of the chief examiners. Assuming that that's true and that she deserves to be a chief examiner, how can so many people come down by screwing up on the day or not answering the question right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Got 59.25 in english..75 off the next grade and my teacher said i was marked harshly in some areas so definitely going for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Ok so I now think that English was marked very easily, viewed my paper today and i got 397/400 or 99%....nearly fainted!:pac: I lost my 3 marks on part 3 of the section A in text 1, weirdly enough!

I was convinced I'd get at best a B1 because my essay seemed awful, so I think it's well worth having a look at your script to see what the percentage was, you might be pleasantly surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Just viewed my scripts earlier, and I've decided English must've been marked **** easy.

I got 99% overall- 100% on Paper 2! I didn't even read Macbeth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

nicola09 wrote: »
    I lost my 3 marks on part 3 of the section A in text 1, weirdly enough!

quote]
    Appeal that! lol :p But seriously well done! :D
    bythewoods wrote: »

I got 99% overall- 100% on Paper 2! I didn't even read Macbeth!!

Ye I'm sure you didn't read it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

viewed the paper there
    honesty id luv to know who corrected my paper because i was bascially raped
    wont be appealing though, got my course

found that in accounting too i was screwed with as well
    but history, got 492 overall and 99 in project, examiner musta bin high when he/she marked it coz i came out convinced i got a c:D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Kates923

Same wiv me in english. I got an A2 in the mock, and it was sent away. I got a C in my proper then. a C lyk. Viewed it today, my corrector needs glass or needs to be fired.
    Was a class paper i done, apparently not.
    Im dead happy wit my accountin, a B. Shuld of got a few more marks i thought viewin it but i dnt mind.
    xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Kates923 wrote: »
    Was a class paper i done, apparently not.
    Oh really now?:p

Advertisement