Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

UPROAR OVER ENGLISH is a bit of a dramatic title to use imo,its not uproar,your just not happy with what you got,if you deserved a B or an A you would have got it
    im happy with my C1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

I got a B2 and usually get C's and D's. Although I did cram like **** for english but still im chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

I'm a straight A in English since 1st year....got a c1???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Didn't even do the prescribed poetry section and I got a A2. Up from a D1 in the mocks.

Uproar? I'm delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Complete opposite for me. I was getting D's in English but suddenly got a B3. It was very surprising. I'm pretty delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I got a B1 which I'm very happy with, don't think I've ever gotten over a D1 from my teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    UPROAR OVER ENGLISH is a bit of a dramatic title to use imo,its not uproar,your just not happy with what you got,if you deserved a B or an A you would have got it
    im happy with my C1!

Not entirely true. With English, there is a lot of scope for bad marking. It's not like with Geography or History where if you get your facts straight then you are guaranteed a good grade. On the other hand you can give the most impressive and convincing argument in English only to be given a bad mark because the examiner doesn't agree with what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

A1 :)

i thought the exam was half an hour shorter than it was so rushed my poetry essay horribly, had to re-write pages, but still got an A1...

uproar's a bit dramatic..!

I understand peoples annoyance if they didn't do too well but I wouldn't blame the louth thing for how it was marked, more so that maybe some people freaked out a bit more than others and that affected grades..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Uproar?

Got an A1, up from a C in the mocks! :)
    Maybe get it rechecked OP, you could have gotten a bad corrector? I don't know.
    But I am so grateful for that extra day's study those legends in Louth gave me!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

I got an A1 too. Surprised, but happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I got an A1, up from a B1 in the mocks. Normally an A1 student.

Think it's more to do with your teachers not being wholly objective when marking, more than the whole English 2 fiasco...

If you think you deserved more though, I'd view the script, maybe with my teacher, and then decide if I wanted it rechecked! Worth getting rechecked if you're only a percent or two off the next grade... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

got a B2, so happy,though i would get a C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

Reilly616 wrote: »
    I got an A1 too. Surprised, but happy.

Me too!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I got a B3, up from a D1 in the mocks. I was absolutely delighted with English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

I got b3, was expecting a small bit more, but happy enough. 515 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I got a ****ing D1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

I got an A1 and was expecting a B, maybe it was one particular examiner marked them really hard, you should get them re checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

Calum196 wrote: »
    I got b3, was expecting a small bit more, but happy enough. 515 overall.
    good points,well done

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

eoins2345 wrote: »
    Is anyone else really suspicious about English?I got a c3 which is fine but i normally get a B.A load of other people got c3s as well right across my year.No one seemed to do well.A girl that usually gets A's got a D!Maybe we just got a strict examiner or something.Any one else feel annoyed at the english results?

Em, no? I've gotten B's and As all along and I got an A2 today. If people didn't do well as they'd thought there's probably a reason :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

i dont usually do too well in english..in fact i gave my teacher an essay to correct about 2 weeks before the leaving and he gave me 38%...Got a c2 today in higher so it just depends on how the examiners view your paper ,like some might enjoy your essay but another might not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I got an A1 in HL. Am delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

Got an A2 in English and I'm delighted with it. Everyone in my class did bad in the mocks and I got a D1 I think but our teacher really got her act together and made us do some much needed work.

Out of all my results English is by far my happiest. Maybe you had a tough examiner or didn't focus on the question enough like someone else said.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Its one of my weaker subjects, yet its the only one i got an A1 in! Absolute shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Hah, I got B2 ftw. And my English teacher told me she'd be disappointed if I didn't get an A.

I don't give a hoot. I've enough points for my course.

DCU here I come!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

moneyman wrote: »
    I got an A1 in HL. Am delighted!

Forgot to mention my A1 was Higher too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I got a B1, whereas I'd normally be on the A2/A1 line. My paper 2 didn't go too well as I barely finished unseen poetry. Still and all, I'm going to have a peek at the paper and probably get it rechecked. A lot of my friends got lower than they thought they deserved too so maybe our scripts went to a particularly harsh examiner. Who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Got a B3, which I am delighted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

A student, A2 in mocks, got a B3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

Id be a B student. Love english, got 65% in the mocks and got an A2 in the leaving (higher level) over the moon!! And i effed up the comparitive big time so v.happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I repeated English.
    Didn't read Macbeth.
    Didn't read one of my comparative texts. One comparative mode. 1 poet.
    A1 Higher.
    Absolute SHOCK and disbelief tbh.

I assumed they'd been marked easier....?
    Got an A last year as well though...

Advertisement