Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English HL - marked hard or easy?!

Options
  • 12-08-2009 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Is anyone else really suspicious about English?I got a c3 which is fine but i normally get a B.A load of other people got c3s as well right across my year.No one seemed to do well.A girl that usually gets A's got a D!Maybe we just got a strict examiner or something.Any one else feel annoyed at the english results?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Yeah I feel really annoyed, always got over a C1 in aexams, I got a B3 in the mocks, but got a D1 higher!! Have to get it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

eoins2345 wrote: »
    Is anyone else really suspicious about English?I got a c3 which is fine but i normally get a B.A load of other people got c3s as well right across my year.No one seemed to do well.A girl that usually gets A's got a D!Maybe we just got a strict examiner or something.Any one else feel annoyed at the english results?

It's all down to what you did on the day and not about what you might usually get. An examiner wouldn't know any sort of previous grades you might have achieved beforehand.

Unfortunately you may not have done as well as you think you may have and that's common.

If you think they made a mistake then you should get your papers rechecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Oh i know its a completely know examiner.Its just everyone did rather poor compared to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Maybe your teacher is sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

IMO this is the problem with the leaving cert course having your teacher correcting your exams pre leaving means he/she takes personal opinions into account when correcting your exams. then when the actual thing comes around you do worse if your teacher liked you or better if the teacher did not like you because nobody who knows you is correcting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh i know its a completely know examiner.Its just everyone did rather poor compared to normal.

Well I would recommend that you maybe get your papers rechecked. Sounds strange that everyone should just start dropping grades below what they're used to achieving.

Get it rechecked and just go and have a good night tonight. You all deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

yeah i got my points and il just celebrate anyway.Il prob get it rechecked but wont let it take away my results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

To put it more eloquently than Zulu, the problem with English is that the marking is a little subjective. Having the same teacher marking all your work for two years and then a different person correcting your LC means that if your teacher is not thorough or considerate enough in their marking, they might end up giving grades which are too high.

Another reason might be that you've been doing essays for homework over long periods of time, and in an exam situation it's very, very different.

That said, you should view your papers and get a recheck if you feel hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I got a B2 and am similarly disappointed. Down from an A2 in the mocks and felt I did rather well in the exam. Will have to view my paper and see what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

I got a C3 but I usually get D's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

English is the only result I'm happy with,but because the rest were so bad,I can't even be happy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I got an A1 so I was delighted lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Black kettle

I got an A2 but I'm really surprised I didn't get an A1. I really wanted one and english is my best subject so a bit disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

I was always a B/C student in English so when I repeated this year I wasn't counting it for points. But I got an A2 which I can count instead of Physics!

Keep in mind that the questions in Paper 2 were very specific so maybe you lost points there??

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Soo disappointed with English, got a C3 aswell! I have never gotten below a C1 usually get B's, even got a B in the Junior Cert, and my techer is a corrector and everything, great teacher . .
    Going to go in and have a look at it. But even still I got plenty extra points, as English was my lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Well, Im up from a C3 to a B2 so Im well chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I got an A1 in English, both friends got A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

Got a B1 in English, usually A's but what can you do. Girl in my year got 6A1s and a B2 in English, so I think English is hard to get a good grade in anyway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Got C1 compared to C3 in mocks so I'm happy... I'm the opposite to all use tot I would do way worse then that!

Altho my mate is in the same boat hes an A student on a good day and a b2 on a bad day but he only got a C1.

The same tory for him in history usually an A but got C... feel bit bad for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I was happy enough with English. For the Pre we had a registered correcter to correct our exams and I got a C1

For the real thing I got a C1 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Got a C as well, but I wasn't surprised, I knew I messed up the poetry question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

theres something strange happening with english, im a repeat student, last year i got a B2 and didnt really attempt the othello question, my eng teacher looked over my paper and said all the other Q's were answered well & thats why my grade was high

this year ive been gettin A's in english caus i worked my ass off, i was one of the "lucky" people that came out of the second paper really happy, i went to the institute so i know how to answer questions & was expecting a A2 but i actually got a C3, rechecks are a must ! thank god looking over papers isint during electric picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I got the same as in my mock. Don't know anyone that did particularly worse than they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

fecking c3 in english would have liked a c1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

When and how do paper checks in your school work? I dont mean where you pay €40, I mean where you are allowed to look at your paper with a teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I did mine back in 2005 and it was a very similar situation. Those of us who were the best at English would get no less than a B in class tests (and that's with a notoriously strict marker). However we all got C2's or C3's in the actual LC. We were all far from happy because we felt we had aced both papers. We got them rechecked and we all had our grades improved up to a minimum B3 (some of us even got upgraded to A's).

Long story short OP get it rechecked, it sounds like you had a wench or dick correcting your papers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

CyberWaste wrote: »
    When and how do paper checks in your school work? I dont mean where you pay €40, I mean where you are allowed to look at your paper with a teacher?

its free to look at papers, you go back to your exam centre, they give you a sheet of paper where you can write down stuff you want to draw the examiners attention to

if you decided to then have it rechecked it 40e per script

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

IMO this is the problem with the leaving cert course having your teacher correcting your exams pre leaving means he/she takes personal opinions into account when correcting your exams. then when the actual thing comes around you do worse if your teacher liked you or better if the teacher did not like you because nobody who knows you is correcting it.

In our school the pre exams were sent out to outsiders to correct to avoid this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm delighted with my C3, got one in the mock and did next to nothing after that, so I got what I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

A2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kicked that leaving cert's ass!:D

Advertisement