Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint! [MEGAMERGE] **ALL DISCUSSION IN HERE**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

lol on one of the suggestions stickies on the codemasters forum one person suggested making the game less $hit! Comment was deleted in mere seconds lol. Mods there are prety on top of blasting the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hogzy wrote: »
    lol on one of the suggestions stickies on the codemasters forum one person suggested making the game less $hit! Comment was deleted in mere seconds lol. Mods there are prety on top of blasting the game!

Checked the forum after work today and was blown away by the amount of deleted posts, locked threads and banned accounts that have come about since last night. Modding was severe before, but it's completely out of hand now; any dissent results in a locked thread, while personal abuse is tolerated by those defending the game (employees I suspect). It's put me completely off Codemasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

smooch71 wrote: »
    I was like you but trust me, that wears off soon.
    If you mean the novelty wears off then yes, of course it will and its going to for every single game out there. But if you mean that the game is crap and that you tired of it very quickly then that is your take on it and I'd have to disagree, if anything I'm finding its getting better and better the more I play.

I don't understand where all the extremely negative comments on this thread are coming from. Yeah its not perfect but you know what, its not that bad either. Is it a console / pc thing perhaps? Maybe its just me but I'd always choose pc over console for these types of games.

cdb wrote: »
    If you mean the novelty wears off then yes, of course it will and its going to for every single game out there. But if you mean that the game is crap and that you tired of it very quickly then that is your take on it and I'd have to disagree, if anything I'm finding its getting better and better the more I play.

I don't understand where all the extremely negative comments on this thread are coming from. Yeah its not perfect but you know what, its not that bad either. Is it a console / pc thing perhaps? Maybe its just me but I'd always choose pc over console for these types of games.

It's pretty terrible..
    Game breaking bugs.. dying going over a 2 foot wall
    Poor savepoint design
    Terrible AI
    Poor Graphics - this bothers me the least
    Poor control system.
    Disappearing bodies.
    The fact that it takes four hits from a M16 to drop an enemy alone rubbishes the notion of this being a tactical simulation.
    The false promise to explore the map.
    The false promise that you'd be a small part of a larger war, that you could run off mission and find other skirmishes.
    The inability to chose your own weapons.
    The terrible vehicle controls and physics
    The unrealistic weapons- I could spit faster than that 50cal
    The pitiful selection of vehicles- hello DLC
    The fact that the game is a highly linear shooter that relies on trigger points - once again rubbishing how this game was sold.
    The broken match making system
    The lack of variety in the missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Of course the noveltly wears off most games, but I'd like to think it would last longer than a week.

When I started playing this game, I thought it was great because it was unlike any FPS I'd played. But the further I got, the more my eyes were opened.

I don't think it's anything to do with PC vs Console.

The fact is with the high quality of games being produced these days, it's not acceptable that a game that's so riddled with bugs should be released. I suspect Codemasters knew exactly what was wrong with the game when they released it. But knowing the hype that had surrounded the game before release, they weren't going to risk delaying it only to have the release clash with Modern Warfare 2. Which to me is cynical.

I'm playing on xbox (and please don't anyone start telling me that I haven't experienced FPS properly coz I don't play on PC) and when you compare simple things like the graphics with other console games like, COD4, Far Cry 2, Killzone 2, etc. It's not good enough to have PS2 quality graphics on a current gen machine. I'm sure the same applies to the PC.

But games are not all about graphics I hear you say.

Fair point, but in fairness, the gameplay ain't nothing to write home about either. Like I said, the game is riddled with bugs.

I'm not going to list the one's that I've found as I've already mentioned them somewhere else on this thread, but look at the Codemasters forum.

They asked for players to submit details of bugs they found in the game, there were 80 pages from console users and 64 from PC users.

And don't get me started on the false advertising. Codemasters should hang their heads in shame over this.

• Advertisement

Checked the forum after work today and was blown away by the amount of deleted posts, locked threads and banned accounts that have come about since last night. Modding was severe before, but it's completely out of hand now; any dissent results in a locked thread, while personal abuse is tolerated by those defending the game (employees I suspect). It's put me completely off Codemasters.

Just to prove how desperate CM are, they have a thread posted asking for positive comments only!

Spare me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Of course the noveltly wears off most games, but I'd like to think it would last longer than a week.

When I started playing this game, I thought it was great because it was unlike any FPS I'd played. But the further I got, the more my eyes were opened.

I don't think it's anything to do with PC vs Console.

The fact is with the high quality of games being produced these days, it's not acceptable that a game that's so riddled with bugs should be released. I suspect Codemasters knew exactly what was wrong with the game when they released it. But knowing the hype that had surrounded the game before release, they weren't going to risk delaying it only to have the release clash with Modern Warfare 2. Which to me is cynical.

I'm playing on xbox (and please don't anyone start telling me that I haven't experienced FPS properly coz I don't play on PC) and when you compare simple things like the graphics with other console games like, COD4, Far Cry 2, Killzone 2, etc. It's not good enough to have PS2 quality graphics on a current gen machine. I'm sure the same applies to the PC.

But games are not all about graphics I hear you say.

Fair point, but in fairness, the gameplay ain't nothing to write home about either. Like I said, the game is riddled with bugs.

I'm not going to list the one's that I've found as I've already mentioned them somewhere else on this thread, but look at the Codemasters forum.

They asked for players to submit details of bugs they found in the game, there were 80 pages from console users and 64 from PC users.

And don't get me started on the false advertising. Codemasters should hang their heads in shame over this.
    I appreciate what you are saying and I agree with you to a point, maybe it is because modern games are that much more complex that the flaws are greater in number and are harder to eliminate. Maybe I'll feel differently in a week or two having played a bit more but at the moment the flaws don't take from it for me. If you think of it almost every single title released these days has flaws, there are gigs of patches required for Company of Heroes, even the Call of Duty series which hs been around for donkeys years needs multiple updates to iron out the flaws. Does it mean a game should be released before it is ready, no. Of course not. Does it take away from the overall experience. Meh. Not as much as some of the comments on here would have you believe. Maybe I'm lucky in that I wasn't caught up in all the pre-launch hype and can enjoy it for what it is, flaws and all.

And as for the pc console thing, its not so much a suggestion that you haven't experienced it properly but whether you think it was a factor in the perception that this is a crap game? It had been asked and largely ignored throughout this thread but I think we know where you stand on that :D

But seriously though, I'm not getting into the pc console debate, I prefer to use a PC as I like the keyboard and mouse interface over a controller, because I'm sat at my desk and the different gaming experience it provides. Besides the graphics depends on the spec of the pc, which isn't a factor when it comes to consoles.

At the end of the day if we are talking about whether we like the game or not then I think we'll have to agree to disagree. For the moment anyway.

And as for the pc console thing, its not so much a suggestion that you haven't experienced it properly but whether you think it was a factor in the perception that this is a crap game? It had been asked and largely ignored throughout this thread but I think we know where you stand on that :D

I wasn't having a go at you over the PC / Console thing.

It just bugs me some times when you have posters on threads like this that are obviously pc gamers and talk as if they are the only ones with the right to call themselves gamers.

And I'm not trying to take away from your enjoyment of the game. If you like it, then fair play, it's money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

So having finished the game, I'm left with a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. There are some moments of greatness; AI team mates popping smoke and flanking positions, but there are far more moments of frustration.

OafleyJones lists most of my annoyances with the game. The ROF on the fixed guns is just plain weird, 3+ body hits required to down a target, disappering bodies, extremely poor AI, lack of proper MP etc.

My main gripe is with the design of the campaign. Apart from it being ludicrously short, the way the missions play out is quite silly. The last mission took the biscuit i.e. take out that tank so that our tank can advance and then knock out the MG nest before two teams of Marines run straight at it. Then assault the town and destroy the AA before our choppers land right on top of the town, quickly - they'll be here in 10 minutes. Surely the most logical thing to do would be to take out the AA and then radio back saying "hey, the AA is down, come on in" instead of just flying in regardless after 10 minutes.

With a tweak of the AI and a new campaign, I think it could be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Had a proper go of it there, I was enjoying it briefly and thought there's something there.

For a while I was thinking this is a nice stop gap between the likes of COD and ARMA2, it looked ok and ran really smooth on full settings. I was running around like a mad thing COD style because I found the ordering menu to be a shambles. After a while though the flaws do become apparent.

Flanking some AI just seems to knock them for six altogether as they stare off in the opposite direction while you and your team pump a full clip into their backs. My own guys where no better at times letting a gang of Chinese lads wander by the window they're firing out of to burst in the door behind them .

The command controls really don't suit the pc, they make ARMAs controls seem like child's play. Now I'm stuck on the airfield completely surrounded and 2 seconds away from being shot every time I go to the last checkpoint. It looks like I'll have to restart the mission.

The checkpoints did seem odd, do you have to go to them?

I think the game could be fun if it's cleaned up a bit, everyone is giving ARMA a chance to patch up so maybe the same leeway should be given to OPFP?

It's not really in the same league as ARMA2, I wasn't expecting it to be though, I was expecting console action with some of the features of ARMA thrown in and for a few minutes I'd thought they'd achieved that but as the action heated up it's flaws become apparent and the tactical aspect just gets in the way and confuses matters.

I think they aimed to high for their first attempt, they should have kept it simpler, the fact you can't prepare for your missions and just get dropped in the heat of it means your trying to do all your tactics within a limited space and time frame while your being shot at. Some might think that makes it realistic but it doesn't. No armed forces just arrive up at the battlefield and decide what to do at that point. Everything planned out in advanced so that everyone knows exactly what their doing. That's why the tactical aspect fails completely in my eyes.

I don't really have any major problems with the gameplay, it's fairly standard FPS affair, it is different enough to make it stand out from the heard, I liked the pace of the game even though that works against you as the COD like waves start coming down on you. It's a bit of a throw away action game though and doesn't suck you in like ARMA2 does, it just lacks the scope and attention to detail, it looks slightly cartoonish in comparison.

Disappointing, it has good elements but it just doesn't all come together.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

ScumLord wrote: »

I think the game could be fun if it's cleaned up a bit, everyone is giving ARMA a chance to patch up so maybe the same leeway should be given to OPFP?

The difference is with Arma, you could always see all of the potential the game had, with OPFP2, you see all the wasted potential. I can't see the fundamental problems ever being fixed. It's problems run deeper than AI bugs etc.

Maximilian wrote: »
    The difference is with Arma, you could always see all of the potential the game had, with OPFP2, you see all the wasted potential. I can't see the fundamental problems ever being fixed. It's problems run deeper than AI bugs etc.
    Some problems won't ever be fixed no, I was expecting it to be a toned down version of ARMA2 with console action, which I was fine with and I think they've sort of achieved that. It's ARMA light.

It's not really surprising that the game ended up with flaws, it's par for the course with these types of games. Overall I'm thinking it's a good introduction for console gamers and may even work in ARMAs favour as if people want more their only option is to move up to ARMA. I'm assuming the controls are more manageable with the joypad.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

ScumLord wrote: »
    Some problems won't ever be fixed no, I was expecting it to be a toned down version of ARMA2 with console action, which I was fine with and I think they've sort of achieved that. It's ARMA light.

It's not really surprising that the game ended up with flaws, it's par for the course with these types of games. Overall I'm thinking it's a good introduction for console gamers and may even work in ARMAs favour as if people want more their only option is to move up to ARMA. I'm assuming the controls are more manageable with the joypad.

I think its a great game for consoles (as condescending as that sounds) because there's just nothing else out there like this for them. I think they are a little baffled by all the PC gamers' rage.

PC Gamers though, expect more. We've had the original OPF for example, so were at least expecting something with equal depth, which the sequel absolutely doesn't have. We've of course had Arma, Arma 2 even going back years, stuff like Hidden & Dangerous 1&2, which was better even than OpF 2, if you ask me. Hell, even Space Hulk, going back further.

If CM didn't tell outright fibs, they certainly misrepresented the game. They promised a Rolls Royce and delivered a Toyota Corolla (with plans to then sell us the missing steering wheel a few weeks after launch)

I think its a great game for consoles (as condescending as that sounds) because there's just nothing else out there like this for them. I think they are a little baffled by all the PC gamers' rage.

Not so

I have it on XBox and I think it's a disgrace of a game

You're right, that is condescending.

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

A rubbish game is a rubbish game no matter what platform it's on.

You're right, that is condescending.

45617314zi1mu6copypp8.jpg

A rubbish game is a rubbish game no matter what platform it's on.

True but why do the console people seem to like it?

Probably because they are dirty plebs who can't afford a PC. :pac:

True but why do the console people seem to like it?

Probably because they are dirty plebs who can't afford a PC. :pac:

Any console people I know or have spoken to think it sucks, including many contributors to this thread.

So I don't know why you think we all like it. We're not all spotty teenagers you know and do have some level of expectation for game quality these days.

Just because we don't point and click doesn't mean we're more easily pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My account was deleted on the official forums. :( All my posts disappeared too.

Just be careful guys, if you have an account there, don't bad mouth the game. :(

Edit: they even banned my IP address. Sadly I'm on a static IP address so that sucks. I can't access the codemasters website at all now.

My account was deleted on the official forums. :( All my posts disappeared too.

Just be careful guys, if you have an account there, don't bad mouth the game. :(

Edit: they even banned my IP address. Sadly I'm on a static IP address so that sucks. I can't access the codemasters website at all now.

So much for freedom of speech.

You must have said something really nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

So much for freedom of speech.

You must have said something really nasty!

And If he did, he was probably dead right.

Disaster of a game.

• Advertisement

CKWPORT wrote: »
    And If he did, he was probably dead right.

Disaster of a game.

I may have verbally abused the game and also added my true feelings about how the game was developed. :D

Can't blame you really. They must be deleting accounts non stop on the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Buy the original OpFlash + Resistance GOTY edition for €10-15 and enjoy.

I bought Arma2 and I'm enjoying it. Lots of mods for it too.

PC Gamers though, expect more. We've had the original OPF for example, so were at least expecting something with equal depth, which the sequel absolutely doesn't have. We've of course had Arma, Arma 2 even going back years, stuff like Hidden & Dangerous 1&2, which was better even than OpF 2, if you ask me. Hell, even Space Hulk, going back further.

If CM didn't tell outright fibs, they certainly misrepresented the game. They promised a Rolls Royce and delivered a Toyota Corolla (with plans to then sell us the missing steering wheel a few weeks after launch)
    That's true but again what did you expect? Marketing departments outright lie these days and no game ever really lives up to the hype. I just don't know if it's fair to compare it to ARMA now that I've played it, I suppose if CM had been more honest about the type of game they where releasing it might have helped but I just don't see how they could have said that it's a great game just not quite as good as our competitors. I don't know why I'm defending the game it is inferior but it did really meet my expectations and I'm don't really feel all that let down by it to be honest.

It did actually remind me of hidden and dangerous at times and that was purely down to the Chinese chatter, I had an instant flashback to H&D "Englander!" for some reason.

I think with some key remapping the game could be slightly more enjoyable for me but even so I just don't think I'll be playing it all that much when I've got ARMA2 there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Patch is out now for the PC version. Only played the multiplayer for the first time last nite so cant tell what the patch fixed.
    Have a strange issue though where I always see the mouse cursor and its not aligned to where I'm pointing. Anyone else see the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We are sorry if Dragon Rising and the two DLCs released to date have left you wanting even more, but in the grand scheme of future plans and schedules the vast majority of the team are already busy planning the future of modern combat.

HHAAHHAAHAHA

The game stank, but I never expecting them to do this after just 6 months, especially since codemasters thought/claimed the game was a success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

CKWPORT wrote: »
    especially since codemasters thought/claimed the game was a success.

But it was, for them, they lied about the game and hyped it up, lots of people bought it (and were disappointed). Glad I didn't buy it :D

Advertisement