Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Loco is your favourite?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Don't hold your breath for the Parkway/Navan extension and by the time it's built the Tara mines traffic will probably be finished.

Ha! Well Dempsey is out of the picture for good, so things might move a tiny likkle bit faster now!

But taking that it does happen (here's hoping!!!), what is the plan for the the Tara Mines trains route?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

As the 071 class is still topping the poll, I thought I might as well post up a pic of 082 passing Harmonstown this morning at 11.35 approx, with laden Tara's for the North Wall.

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=9381

River Boyne on Enterprise passed down around 11:15 - a double bubble locomotive morning with a couple DMU's thrown in as well. :D

picture.php?albumid=1408&pictureid=9380

I've always loved the 121's, many happy memories of seeing them pass through Sandycove/Glasthule:)

I still prefer the orange,black and white livery. Pity thats was dumped but I've always lived in a time warp.

121 abuse!

Nice sound nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Karsini wrote: »
    121 abuse!

Nice sound nonetheless.

"Its all good fun until someone loses an eye"....

Speed limit in sidings,5 mph????

Topnotch could clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

steamengine - "As the 071 class is still topping the poll, I thought I might as well post up a pic of 082 passing Harmonstown this morning at 11.35 approx, with laden Tara's for the North Wall"

There was more 071 action going on yesterday and i was lucky enough to get some shots

072 waiting to bring a DFDS liner out of Kildare heading for Waterford
    DSC07740.jpg

088 with a balast train waiting to leave the balast loading siding in Portarlington.This engine was left running for hours today and sounded great!
    DSC07752_1.jpg

077,one of the last four 071 class still in orange IE livery,sitting all alone in another siding again in Portarlington
    DSC07748.jpg

and a token 201 class,this time 222 pushing at the rear of a Cork train to Dublin.Note 077 can be seen to its left and 088 can barely be seen to the right rear side
    DSC07745.jpg

also 074 was knocking around on an empty timber train heading west,but i only managed to get a video this time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Brilliant photos Rud - thx !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Great pictures Rud I think I just came:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nothing like the sound of an 071 hauling a laden timber up a bit of a climb!! or indeed a pair of 141s! Only 2 orange 71s out and about these days 077 and 084.078 and 087 are in Inch with 078 half way through an overhaul.

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Great pictures Rud I think I just came:o

Did you come by train?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Look at the state of 074's door. Nice to see IE taking pains to guard their assets in troubled times.

• Advertisement

Thank you steamengine and you're welcome oliver1985!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Look at the state of 074's door. Nice to see IE taking pains to guard their assets in troubled times.

Looks like someone was using it as target practice !

dowlingm wrote: »

when the majority of the 071s were painted from orange to black and silver was there not some sort of ant rust protectant applied or was it simply a case of painting over the orange and just leaving it at that?any of the 071s i have seen up close seem to have rust eating away all over the body

I've been told that the Achille's heel of the 071s is the bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Karsini wrote: »
    I've been told that the Achille's heel of the 071s is the bodywork.

I'd say the inability to start it in cold weather is a bit more of an issue

didn't they also have serious frame issues in their early years?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rud wrote: »
    when the majority of the 071s were painted from orange to black and silver was there not some sort of ant rust protectant applied or was it simply a case of painting over the orange and just leaving it at that?any of the 071s i have seen up close seem to have rust eating away all over the body

They are stripped by hand of all old paint work and sanded down before having a rust coat applied. After that they have several coats spray painted before being slow baked in a special facility in Inchicore. They have been outdoors for over 30 years so some rust and bumb damage is to be expected.

Did anyone do that loco driving course in Downpatrick? I emailed them to say I was interested, but I've heard nothing back since. I'd definately have a go in the GM loco! Did anyone here do it, what was your experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

newmug wrote: »
    Did anyone do that loco driving course in Downpatrick? I emailed them to say I was interested, but I've heard nothing back since. I'd definately have a go in the GM loco! Did anyone here do it, what was your experience?

Good to see that Downpatrick are maintaining the highest standards of IE as part of their preservation scheme. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Did anyone do that loco driving course in Downpatrick? I emailed them to say I was interested, but I've heard nothing back since. I'd definitely have a go in the GM loco! Did anyone here do it, what was your experience?
    The "Footplate" certificate they call it. Never knew they had thoroughbred GM's at Downpatric, the nearest thing is A39 Metrtovic, you would be better contacting ITG over the matter.

On the subject has Moyasta fired up any of their newly acquired locos yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There are two footplate day courses that they offer, on either diesel and steam. In both cases you would be in the cab of a loco for it's working day, you are allowed a few guests and you also get a years membership of the society. It's great fun, you need to be rather fit as it's a tiring day and it can send you home with aches in places your body never knew before. They don't currently offer the footplate course on the A or the GM loco as a regular thing so spaces for it are less common.

If they didn't contact you back drop me a PM with your details; I'm a working volunteer there and I'll enquire for you. They have been hectic behind the scenes building new engine/carriage sheds as of late so they may have missed your e mail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The "Footplate" certificate they call it. Never knew they had thoroughbred GM's at Downpatric, the nearest thing is A39 Metrtovic, you would be better contacting ITG over the matter.

146 acquired recently

:pac::pac::pac:

146 acquired recently

Apparently!

http://www.downrail.co.uk/hire.htm#loco

There are two footplate day courses that they offer, on either diesel and steam. In both cases you would be in the cab of a loco for it's working day, you are allowed a few guests and you also get a years membership of the society. It's great fun, you need to be rather fit as it's a tiring day and it can send you home with aches in places your body never knew before. They don't currently offer the footplate course on the A or the GM loco as a regular thing so spaces for it are less common.

If they didn't contact you back drop me a PM with your details; I'm a working volunteer there and I'll enquire for you. They have been hectic behind the scenes building new engine/carriage sheds as of late so they may have missed your e mail.

Sound Losty Dublin! I'll give them another week or two so, if no luck, I'll PM you!

I saw two loco's pass each other in Navan on Wednesday, one was 088, didnt catch the other one. One coming, one going to / from Tara Mines. Never saw that before!!!

Just a point to note, look at the poll. The percentages exactly match the number of voters, cool!!!

@Losty Dublin, sorted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I saw two loco's pass each other in Navan on Wednesday, one was 088, didnt catch the other one. One coming, one going to / from Tara Mines. Never saw that before!!!

Happens every day Mon-Fri. The first and second link of the day pass each other in Navan every morning, well they are supposed to anyway.

Happens every day Mon-Fri. The first and second link of the day pass each other in Navan every morning, well they are supposed to anyway.

"Supposed" to is the word! Ah I know they do, I've seen single Tara Mines trains come and go, I just never saw two passing each other before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

On the subject has Moyasta fired up any of their newly acquired locos yet?[/QUOTE]

Apart from A15 which is owned by the West Clare Railway all other standard gauge diesel locos are owned by the ITG. As they are protected by heavy tarpaulins it takes a number of volunteers to remove/replace them making starting locos up more involved than would otherwise be the case. The ITG know that the situation is far from ideal and planning difficulties/delays with the museum building at Moyasta are not helping matters but it's a situation we are stuck with at the present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Apart from A15 which is owned by the West Clare Railway all other standard gauge diesel locos are owned by the ITG.
    I don't think there is much of A15 other than an empty shell, all the guts were removed and windows smashed last time that I saw it, It must have been left in the same condition asC227 static display that was left to rot at Caherciveen.. I believe it got a lick of paint last year. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

Moyasta's new strategic procurement dept has got off to a succesful start,

Besides the fact that A15 has no engine in it, there is also the small issue of it been a tad too wide for the tracks down there, 2" 3 to be precise. All in all, a perfect acquisition that meets the needs of the railway.

I'm assuming they hired IE to provide consultancy on world class procurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Moyasta's new strategic procurement dept has got off to a succesful start,

Besides the fact that A15 has no engine in it, there is also the small issue of it been a tad too wide for the tracks down there, 2" 3 to be precise. All in all, a perfect acquisition that meets the needs of the railway.

I'm assuming they hired IE to provide consultancy on world class procurement.

All the same, I'd rather see the locos down there than in Hammond Lane. A15 would have been scrapped otherwise, and they were good enough to help the ITG in their hour of need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Niles wrote: »
    All the same, I'd rather see the locos down there than in Hammond Lane. A15 would have been scrapped otherwise, and they were good enough to help the ITG in their hour of need.

More likely an eye on the main chance I'd say.

Advertisement