Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Sports Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

syncosised wrote: »
    Remember when Berbatov used to be good, back at Spurs? :)

I never wanted United to buy him, ever. D: Just didn't think he'd work in the set-up.. he hasn't proved me wrong yet!
    We should set up a C&H Manchester United Fan Club :D

Ha, we should.. though we'd inevitably get all the Anyone But United fans trolling all over the thread. Banhammer? :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Ha, we should.. though we'd inevitably get all the Anyone But United fans trolling all over the thread. Banhammer? :pac:

I just need to wait for its latest coat of red paint to dry, then I'll shine it up for banning the non-believers :cool:

All jokes aside, United were really disappointing today, and fair play to Leeds for doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've just recovered enough from Munster vs Ulster to start talking about it.

To start, I was glad my hero, Peter Stringer started. He played admirably in the first half, in the second half he made some poor decisions getting the ball out of the ruck. He either took too long or stifled the offensive by bringing it too close to the touchline. Overall though he played well enough.
    It seems the Ulster defensive was just too solid in the second half. After the beginning Munster offensive which nearly resulted in a first-5-minutes try, they seemed to wake up. Munster seemed to be over-confident and gave away two soft tries in the end.

BTW I know nobody will read this and care, I just needed to get this off ****ing soccer.

I just need to wait for its latest coat of red paint to dry, then I'll shine it up for banning the non-believers :cool:

All jokes aside, United were really disappointing today, and fair play to Leeds for doing so well.

Not purple? :pac:

Congrats to them and all.. but it stings, it really does.. :/
    jumpguy wrote: »
    I've just recovered enough from Munster vs Ulster to start talking about it.

To start, I was glad my hero, Peter Stringer started. He played admirably in the first half, in the second half he made some poor decisions getting the ball out of the ruck. He either took too long or stifled the offensive by bringing it too close to the touchline. Overall though he played well enough.
    It seems the Ulster offensive was just too powerful in the second half. After the beginning Munster offensive which nearly resulted in a first-5-minutes try, they seemed to wake up. Munster seemed to be over-confident and gave away two soft tries in the end.

BTW I know nobody will read this and care, I just needed to get this off ****ing soccer.

I just couldn't lose with that match, I'm from Ulster myself, but my mum being from Limerick and quite the rugby fan herself, I was dragged up to support Munster too! :) I think the match was good for improving the morale of an Ulster side who never really get much attention with the impressive exploits of Munster and Leinster. They have a huge amount of talent in the side, if only they could show it when it matters.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I just couldn't lose with that match, I'm from Ulster myself, but my mum being from Limerick and quite the rugby fan herself, I was dragged up to support Munster too! :) I think the match was good for improving the morale of an Ulster side who never really get much attention with the impressive exploits of Munster and Leinster. They have a huge amount of talent in the side, if only they could show it when it matters.. :(
    Don't worry, everyone is dragged in by somebody! :) Being an Ulster fan would've been extremely depressing for the last few years...

The biggest kick in the groin is, we thought we were great after wiping out Connaught last week while Leinster only gave Ulster a light spanking. Then we get beaten by Ulster? Oh man... Seriously though, they might have a Heinekin Cup chance this year, if they keep playing that defense. If not the Magners League.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not purple? :pac:

Ooh, you're going to pay for that one! :P

I completely forgot about the Munster match yesterday, ended up going ice-skating instead of watching it. Disappointing result there. They better perform properly against Northampton in 3 weeks, that's all I can say.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Don't worry, everyone is dragged in by somebody! :) Being an Ulster fan would've been extremely depressing for the last few years...

The biggest kick in the groin is, we thought we were great after wiping out Connaught last week while Leinster only gave Ulster a light spanking. Then we get beaten by Ulster? Oh man... Seriously though, they might have a Heinekin Cup chance this year, if they keep playing that defense. If not the Magners League.

Ah but I'm allowed to, I spend enough time in the province anyway.. I mean, you've got to give me credit for actually spending time in Limerick.. :P I'm a real fan! But I'll always support Ulster first and foremost, it has to be done despite the struggles - could be worse, could be from Connacht! :P

Ah we shall see how things play out, 'tis early enough days yet - hopefully we'll come out of it with some dignity if nothing more! :)
    Ooh, you're going to pay for that one! :P

I completely forgot about the Munster match yesterday, ended up going ice-skating instead of watching it. Disappointing result there. They better perform properly against Northampton in 3 weeks, that's all I can say.

Haha, how exactly? :P

I'd say ice-skating was probably the better option considering.. And Munster have a wonderful habit of performing exactly when they need to, it's amazing how many times they've pulled a miracle out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

syncosised wrote: »
    Remember when Berbatov used to be good, back at Spurs? :)

Best money United ever spent because he is rubbish and one of the biggest waste of money in the last 10 years in the premiership. Cheers United for that 36 million you wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

unknown13 wrote: »
    Best money United ever spent because he is rubbish and one of the biggest waste of money in the last 10 years in the premiership. Cheers United for that 36 million you wasted

I don't understand why people like to make up numbers when talking about transfers. It was £30.75m.

We overpaid because of Citeh's late entry into the market. Had they not joined the bidding we wouldn't have paid a penny over £25m, if even that much.

I look at Berbatov as a luxury player. Sure he might not do a load of tracking back a la Rooney, but he's worth having on the pitch purely for the moments of magic he can produce. Even against Leeds, when the whole team was shocking, he put in a couple of genius passes which on another day could have resulted in goals.

He's quite similar to Ronaldo in that way. Remember the games (particularly last season) when Ronaldo would do sweet F.A. for the entire match, throwing strops and lashing out, and then pop up with a moment of magic? The home game against Blackburn springs to mind.

I'm biased here because I like Berbatov. I like the way he plays. He's one of those rare breed that I, personally, could watch all day long. The calmness and vision he brings to our play is astounding.
    I don't know who said it, but they summed it up best when they said:
    Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards a door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen

People need to lay off Berbatov in general. Some of the abuse from the crowd at OT on Sunday was over-the-top to say the least.

His price tag is irrelevant at this stage. What matters is that he's our player now. Price tags should not be the deciding factor when it comes to judging a player's expectations, especially not Berbatov, considering we were forced to shell out the extra cash.

Now everybody sit back, relax, and enjoy Berba for who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I don't understand why people like to make up numbers when talking about transfers. It was £30.75m.
    He's right though. It was €36,000,000 (notice the euro sign, he did not state what currency he was speaking about). Newspapers such as The Irish Sun always show transfer figures in euros. But I do have to agree that transfers should always be spoken of in pounds sterling(£). It is the official unit of soccer pricing.

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    He's right though. It was €36,000,000 (notice the euro sign, he did not state what currency he was speaking about). Newspapers such as The Irish Sun always show transfer figures in euros. But I do have to agree that transfers should always be spoken of in pounds sterling(£). It is the official unit of soccer pricing.

That's what I mean though. Why say "36 million" without stating that it's euros? It's purely trying to make the figure sound larger than it is.

Just watching the end of South Africa v England.

SA have 2.5 overs to get the last wicket. England have spent the last half hour or so just playing out for the draw.

Exciting last 2.5 overs now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Just watching the end of South Africa v England.

SA have 2.5 overs to get the last wicket. England have spent the last half hour or so just playing out for the draw.

Exciting last 2.5 overs now :)

I assume you fell asleep since then.:)

Foxx92 wrote: »
    I assume you fell asleep since then.:)

No, no, it was excellent. Might actually watch the last test properly now, with England 1-0 up. Nothing more relaxing than sitting down with a cup of tea and watching the cricket.

No, no, it was excellent. Might actually watch the last test properly now, with England 1-0 up. Nothing more relaxing than sitting down with a cup of tea and watching the cricket.

What day is the final test on? I'm looking forward to seeing if England can take the series!

What the hell, Nottingham Forest are on fire tonight! Some season they're having...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Half of this weekend's Premiership matches are postponed, there'll be a lot of make-up games come March and April!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What the hell, Nottingham Forest are on fire tonight! Some season they're having...

:eek: Just checked the scoreline. Billy Davies is doing wonders with them.

2 promotions in 3 years back to the Premier League looks a realistic target for them now.

What day is the final test on? I'm looking forward to seeing if England can take the series!

Starts on Thursday the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah good squad there. Only thing is, could they be peaking too early in season? Although may not need play-offs at this rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

just got my tickets to go to london for the Leinster game against London Irish! cant wait for that now...just hope leinster dont blow their chances next weekend against Brive!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

anybody catch the wasps and leicester game today? cracker! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Shocking performance by United again tonight. For a club meant to be one of the best in the world, our midfield really is the pits.

Anybody watching Leicester - Ipswich? 1-1 atm, Ipswich had a chance to go 2-0 up, then Howard went and scored an equaliser. Decent game.

African cup starts tonight aswell, hosts Angola against Mali. Would expect a comfortable win for Mali, Kanoute is having a good season, might see a goal or two from him. Does anyone know anything about Angola? Akwa is the only player I remember from the WC in 2006.

Anybody watching Leicester - Ipswich? 1-1 atm, Ipswich had a chance to go 2-0 up, then Howard went and scored an equaliser. Decent game.

African cup starts tonight aswell, hosts Angola against Mali. Would expect a comfortable win for Mali, Kanoute is having a good season, might see a goal or two from him. Does anyone know anything about Angola? Akwa is the only player I remember from the WC in 2006.

Just watching that now. It's entertaining enough. Bruce should never have been booked a few mminutes ago.

I think that striker Manucho plays for Angola. He signed for United, went to play in Greece, flopped at Hull and then got sold to Valladolid without ever playing 90 minutes for the reds :D
    Seriously shocked about the Togo incident to be honest.

I think that striker Manucho plays for Angola. He signed for United, went to play in Greece, flopped at Hull and then got sold to Valladolid without ever playing 90 minutes for the reds :D
    Seriously shocked about the Togo incident to be honest.
    I completely forgot about The Black Pele. forget what I said earlier, 7-1 Angola. 7 goals from Manucho, and then an own goal by Manucho, just cause he felt sorry for Mali.

Sadly, I'm not really shocked, and I wouldn't be shocked to see another of the teams based in Cabinda (Ghana, Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso) to be attacked. The Congolese rebels who attacked the Togo team have already threatened to attack more teams.

I just hope there are no more people killed.

..and for the sake of my bet, Ghana win the tournament, with Drogba top scorer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jayo007

ye the togo incident was terrible the cup should really be cancelled obviously the security over there is a joke .

African cup starts tonight aswell, hosts Angola against Mali. Would expect a comfortable win for Mali, Kanoute is having a good season, might see a goal or two from him.

Just to add to this, Ghana definitely won't win the tournament, and Drogba definitely wont be top scorer.

:pac:

Just to add to this, Ghana definitely won't win the tournament, and Drogba definitely wont be top scorer.

:pac:

Anyone know if the first match is on TV anywhere tonight? (And if so, what channel?)

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the first match is on TV anywhere tonight? (And if so, what channel?)

It was on Eurosport, as are most of the matches.

THAT. WAS. AMAZING.

Angola 4-0 up with 12 minutes left. Mali get a goal. No big deal.

4-1 up with 4 minutes plus stoppage time left. Mali get another, again, too little too late.

4-2, with 2 of 4 minutes stoppage time left. Keita pops up for his second of the game. It's now 4-3, pity there's only seconds of stoppage time left, they left the comeback too late.

....NAWT....

An equaliser in the 95th minute. Excellent. Best match I've watched in a long time. Mali were crap, didn't deserve anything form the game, but Angola fell asleep, and were shambolic defensively in the last 20 minutes.

Looking forward to the games tomorrow now :D

Advertisement