Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditions you miss from when you were young

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Primary school tours (singing on the bus being the memory that sticks out)

Tyranax wrote: »
    Remember Calcio Italia on RTE 2?

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLAAAAAZZZOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Those were the days, hah?!?
    God yeah!

Though wasn't it on Channel 4, presented by the legend that is James Richardson??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

mental07 wrote: »
    God yeah!

Though wasn't it on Channel 4, presented by the legend that is James Richardson??

It was on RTE 2 as well, briefly. I remember having a brief flirtation with Inter. A striker wore blue boots, and scored well on that particular programme. If anybody could enlighten me to who that was, I'd be most grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

getting all excited about the toy show/ santa coming
    Watching teenage mutant hero turtles every morning
    getting sweets after mass and having them while playing cards by the fire
    Going to visit the cousins in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Having the sunday night bath after we got home from grannies, then down to watch Were in the World and Glenroe, then sitting perfectly still on the sofa and not making a sound hoping dad had forgotten i was there and let me stay up later:D. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

santa claus
    tooth fairy
    getting treats after parents would come home after me being babysat
    family xmasses, as my parents broke up when i was 7! really miss that!!!! would love just 1 more! :)

Campionato, di calcio, italiano.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    When fapping made you blind...

OMG i remember them good times. where have they gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Hiding with my four siblings behind the couch and gambling whether mum or dad would wake up in time to bring us to school. It was a deadly game. We used to sit there , quiet as mice, knowing that if they were late for work we'd get the day off school. The downside was that if we weren't late enough they'd bring us into school and then you had to face the wrath of the teacher for being late. You've never seen 5 kids under the age of seven act like a ninja troop between 9.00 and 9.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Easter. I don't notice it going by at all now, but as kids, my siblings and I couldn't wait til Easter Sunday, to get our easter eggs! Used to get new clothes for Easter Sunday too. There was the whole Trocaire box saving thing aswell. There was always excitement when they got handed out in class, and you had to put them together..
    Now I couldn't tell you when exactly Easter is on the calendar....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Also licking the bowl that your mother had just made christmas cakes in. She used to leave enough mixture to make it worthwhile. we were literally like pigs at a trough. My youngest brother (runt of the litter) still has a scar on the back of his head from when he was elbowed off the table backwards by us and split his head off the dresser. After that my mom had to put the bowl on the floor. Did I mention we looked like pigs?

twanda wrote: »
    Easter. I don't notice it going by at all now, but as kids, my siblings and I couldn't wait til Easter Sunday, to get our easter eggs! Used to get new clothes for Easter Sunday too. There was the whole Trocaire box saving thing aswell. There was always excitement when they got handed out in class, and you had to put them together..
    Now I couldn't tell you when exactly Easter is on the calendar....:rolleyes:

It's the first Sunday after the second full moon, before the synopsis of palm.... game of pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hallowe'en.

Kids knock to the door now and say "Trick or treat?", what was wrong with "Help the Hallowe'en party!"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Senna wrote: »
    Having the sunday night bath after we got home from grannies, then down to watch Were in the World and Glenroe, then sitting perfectly still on the sofa and not making a sound hoping dad had forgotten i was there and let me stay up later:D. Happy days.

Used to hate the feckin music from Glenroe.:mad:As soon as it came on, it was like an alarm going off to my mother, that it was 9.00 and we needed to be put to bed. It was the bain of my childhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

(Early 90's)Getting dragged to Crazy prices cos I was good at spotting bargains :p
    Maurice Pratt say Onion 9p/lb Carrots 9p/lb Parsnip 9p/lb Damn Crazy Wednesdays

(Late 80) Getting lucky Bags you could get any old junk in them Books ****ty toy etc

Buying Michael Jackson Cards when I was 4/5 because my mom asked the shop not to sell my chewing gum and I knew there was a stick of gum in every pack, stick being the formidable world dam stuff near took your eye out when you bit on it

Being ignored in the local shop while the big people were served :mad:

Getting money from the Toothfairy and once from the umm stitch fairy.
    Brush your teeth or they will fall out and the toothfairy will bring you money. Me no compute :pac::confused:

Mom take the wheels off my bike because I was driving mad a kid possesed on the road at about 4. Then sneaking out on my brothers bikes cue his wheel coming off too. hahaha good times.

Doing things becuase your not supposed too. Slamming shots of vinegar:(
    Licking salt off the back of my wrists.
    Was an alco in the making
    Licking the cake mix from the bowl becuase it tasted even better than the cake in a sickly acrid kind of way.

Carted through Guineys, Pennys, Dunnes, Arnotts bargain basement enmasse for the January sales.

Getting excited by things like a different colour bus whenever we went to Crumlin we got a blue bus instead of a Green one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Saturday nights - go to Mass, stop in the shop for our "treat" come home and the whole family sat and watched Noel's Big House, The Generation Game, Casualty lol. God, those were the days.

Remember Blockbuster used to be nearly a weekly occurance, whole family got a video lol. One for everyone and we took turns each week getting one, one week I'd get the girly movies, next week brothers got an action one on top of the family one :(

Mondays after Ballet, everyone went back to mine and we had a dinner/nibbles type thing whilst we all played in our garden and my Dad chased us around the house etc... :(

Ah I'mma stop now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My cousins lived in Ashford for a while, when I was about 4 - 8 years old. I used to love visiting them. They had this huge bungalow on loads of land. In the garden we would play Red Rover and British Bulldogs. They had loads of dogs and cats and an Opal car parked outside with the battery gone dead so we would play in it and beep the horn.

Inside there were Def Leppard and Guns n Roses posters on the walls. We would watch Dempsey's Den and Married with Children. My eldest cousin was the image of Kelly Bundy, I thought she was so cool. Big Doc martens and ripped jeans. hahah. :D

In the bedroom we'd play Murder in the Dark. I remember they had those glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and a Glow Worms doll. Used to read their Zig and Zag books - A Fridge to Far and Full Denim Jacket. Very funny.

Up in the attic there was all these Siamsa and Sonas Irish comic work books. Loved rooting around up there for cool junk...

Awh. Memory lane. I think those were my favourite times as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

when you dropped a food item on the ground all you had to do was bless yourself with said item and all the germs would magically disappear and it was good enough to eat.
    i get the funniest looks when i do that these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

wudangclan wrote: »
    when you dropped a food item on the ground all you had to do was bless yourself with said item and all the germs would magically disappear and it was good enough to eat.
    i get the funniest looks when i do that these days.

5 second rule! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

grew up in South Africa and spent my entire childhood lying on the beach/ next to the lake with friends. bag of crisps in 1 hand and a can of coke. did so much swimming and skeeing behind a boat and surfing that im actually paying for it now with surfers ears, which **** me over every time i dive in water. doesnt stop me kayaking tho;)

• Advertisement

twanda wrote: »
    Used to hate the feckin music from Glenroe.:mad:As soon as it came on, it was like an alarm going off to my mother, that it was 9.00 and we needed to be put to bed. It was the bain of my childhood!

A tale that rings true for many Irish of a certain age.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Getting permission to stay up extra, extra late to watch the Late Late Toy Show. (Back when the show was actually good. I have been less than pleased with the more recent editions)
    What do you think?

If they have to do it, ( and I think it should have been left alone ) I reckon they have a good cast there.:pac:

Despite the fact that that was just a fan-flick, weren't they talking about making a remake movie of it? Wonder what happened that?
    Packet of Bourbon Creams? They really were quality.

Wait, are they gone?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

My grans perfect roast dinner every sunday (In the afternoon:eek:)
    Community Games
    40-40
    Screwballs, sparkles, club shandy, penny sweets
    buying smokes for my mother I was a kid

taytothief wrote: »
    My grans perfect roast dinner every sunday (In the afternoon:eek:)
    Community Games
    40-40
    Screwballs, sparkles, club shandy, penny sweets
    buying smokes for my mother I was a kid

If this is a different name for Kick the Can then you're probably from my road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

If this is a different name for Kick the Can then you're probably from my road!

40-40 was kinda like hide and seek :) never heard of kick the can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Manic Moran, the Bourbon Creams aren't gone, but they just don't seem the same nowadays. I remember one day, me and my cousin got a packet of them for about 80p, and a massive, three litre monster of a bottle of cola, think it was Country Spring, for less than a quid. Went out onto the green, on a hot summers day. Passed two idle hours, munching the biscuits, then quenching our thirst. That was a great day.

Another tradition that I miss is watching the Formula 1 on RTE 1. Peter Collins manic delivery when it got exciting, I forget the name of his co-commentator, but his cool analysis and take on the pitstops....perfect Sunday watching.

Also on Sunday, after Mass, Dad would buy four chocolate donuts from the local shop. He'd serve up hot chocolate. Me and my brother got a donut each as did Dad, who'd have the other one a day or so later. That'd be sweet. The hot chocolate warm and thick, the donut with made from a good quality dough, both going down a treat on a cold morning.

Then I got diabetes(Type 1) and that tradition stopped abrubtly. Damn Diabetes.....:mad:

taytothief wrote: »
    40-40 was kinda like hide and seek :) never heard of kick the can

Someone was on and had to find the people hiding then touch the lampost while calling out where they were.

While the person was looking for people someone could run to the lampost and shout "40-40/Kick the Can, Kick the Can I free all!".

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

getting the wooden spoon to the arse after doing something retarded.

And you enjoyed that.......? :confused:

Doing something retarded...... thats a paddling!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i'm such a big kid i still insist we do most of our traditions; for instance, there's this one xmas dec (a ballerina) that i've always put on the tree in my dad's house. even when my lil bros were tiny i'd still insist they leave that dec off when they were decorating!one time it was xmas day before it got put on!

my entire family(we're talking aunts, uncles,cousins and cousin's kids) also go down the country for Paddy's Weekend, i'd really miss that if we stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

We had lots of strange traditions growing up but one of the things I miss most about childhood was fancy dress. My granny who was a bit of a nutter in most respects, used to dress us up in costumes depicting things like stories of Dick Turpin, Robin Hood, American indians etc. Dancing around a Maypole in high-socks at a parade in Tipperary one Summer with my sisters (aged about 7) with lots of schoolfriends looking on, to my deep humiliation I might add, is a particularly abiding memory.

But we did have lots of fun and I suppose I wouldnt be the same anti-social bundle of nerves I am today without all that stuff. Ah, bless!

Advertisement