Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditions you miss from when you were young

Options
  • 09-08-2009 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Just looking at some old pictures of cork and it all came back to me about stuff we used to do when I was a Kid.

carrying the real christmas tree home with my dad from the city center, only hit me last year when I bought on of those fake ones for my first house and shoved it in the boot of my car.

Watching bullseye on a sunday with the whole family, followed by the A-Team.

What do you miss, feel like I am being ancient I am still under 30 but looking at stuff today it feels like a million years ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Old pics of cork on the net somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

When fapping made you blind...

Wimmins were the source of all evil. Probably still the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Life seemed more orderly when I was a kid . Like in the grand scheme of things everything had it's place and although we had the information about stuff , we didn't have the openess to discuss it as we do now .So in that sense and from somebody over 30, a sense or loss , not so much iggnorence but of innocence .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Visiting Nan and Granddad every Sunday.

Granddad would give me a pound ('Don't tell your mom') and Nan would have gone out to buy the 'good meat' from M&S and a load of sweets for me.
    God rest their souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

bleg wrote: »
    Old pics of cork on the net somewhere?

here you go http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

brummytom wrote: »
    Visiting Nan and Granddad every Sunday.

Granddad would give me a pound ('Don't tell your mom') and Nan would have gone out to buy the 'good meat' from M&S and a load of sweets for me.
    God rest their souls.

There's another memory, my nan used to live over the road so used to go over there to play with the 'good lego' ah its all coming back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Tony255 wrote: »
    Watching bullseye on a sunday with the whole family, followed by the A-Team.

What do you miss, feel like I am being ancient I am still under 30 but looking at stuff today it feels like a million years ago?

What do you think?

If they have to do it, ( and I think it should have been left alone ) I reckon they have a good cast there.:pac:

What do you think?

If they have to do it, ( and I think it should have been left alone ) I reckon they have a good cast there.:pac:

Jim Carrey is a legend.. but do George Clooney and Brad ****ing Pitt have to be in every film?! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'd buy that for a dollar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A new Simpsons episode being something to look forward to seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

getting the wooden spoon to the arse after doing something retarded.

A new Simpsons episode being something to look forward to seeing.

Yep - use to be worthwhile. Was amazingly disappointed with the one set in Ireland earlier this year... got to the end and I just thought "Is that it?" there were no funny bits! Shame.. used to be excellent (/no Mr Burns intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Christmas...........single tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Too many to mention. Have to agree with the Simpsons one though! The Irish Simpsons was a mockery! No U2 whatsoever (although they were in Trash Of The Titans years back). You can't make anything Irish based if it doesn't contain U2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Going into my cousins on the weekend. Used to be a lot closer to them. It was the good life I tell ya, Mega Drive at home, SNES on the weekend. Sonic, Micro Machines through the week, Mortal Kombat and (never winning at) Street Fighter II Turbo on the weekend. Fiver pocket money, Walnut Whips, Knockout tournaments on the street.....

Hayclon days, lads, hayclon days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There used to be a river festival every year in the middle of the summer in Athlone, 3 days of baoting related fun which was ended with a big arsed fireworks display.
    Stopped about 10 years ago I reckon, much missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

before computers and video games took over the world and kids still went outside and played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy childhood at all? I was bullied in primary school for being a nerd and fat :( Fifth year onwards was great but the damage had been done...

Still though, I showed them all! Bastards!

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Chuck??:eek:

Am I the only one who didn't enjoy childhood at all?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Good point... althought I went to a Jesuit school :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Ah school memories!! The stick I used to get. Did any of you do that 6th class project on your "life". I did. Showed the whole class pictures of my birth. Big mistake. I was born a week early, my ma was on her lunch break, I was born in the very sitting room I post this message from. I am only 22.

Some abuse I got/get.:mad:

PaulieD wrote: »
    I was born a week early, my ma was on her lunch break,

Did she go back to work after her break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

The whole family together in one room actually talking and watching Sunday night tv. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Tyranax wrote: »
    Fiver pocket money
    Spot the spoilt one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Did she go back to work after her break?

No. She probably went for a beve.

Forky wrote: »
    Spot the spoilt one!

Oi!! After a can of Coke and a Walnut Whip there wasn't exactly a lot left!!! It used to be only a quid, it took a long time of keeping my head down and working hard at school and at home to get a raise!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Tyranax wrote: »
    can of Coke and a Walnut Whip:
    pffftttttttttt!!!!!!!! Can of coke!

Bottle of score orange, a woppa bar, a desperate dan bar and a few penny sweets.
    Maybe, maybe a bag of Meanies.

Forky wrote: »
    pffftttttttttt!!!!!!!! Can of coke!

Bottle of score orange, a woppa bar, a desperate dan bar and a few penny sweets.
    Maybe, maybe a bag of Meanies.

Packet of Bourbon Creams? They really were quality.

• Advertisement

NBB Bohs wrote: »
    Well I'm hardly old but one thing I miss is sitting down on a Saturday night with my dad and sister watching Match of the Day on the BBC. Completely gone off English football now but when I was a kid I used to love Saturday nights getting ready for the opening music.

Also miss watching live Serie A games, the reason I first start watching football was because of Serie A and Juventus were my first love :)

Also miss my dad bringing me to football matches :(

Remember Calcio Italia on RTE 2?

GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLAAAAAZZZOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Those were the days, hah?!?

Advertisement