Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machida/Shogun predictions?

Options
  • 06-08-2009 2:23pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

So I'm newish to MMA and would consider Machida to be my favourite fighter right now.

However I've been looking at Shogun's PRIDE fights on youtube and I think we could be in for one hell of a fight if Shogun can reproduce that kind of form.
    Did you see the job he did on rampage?

Also check out his fight with Coleman. Wanderlai Silva and the boys come storming in after! great stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

To me it would be a shogun win if he fought to his pride level, if he fights like he did in Ireland then forget about it..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ah PRIDE.

Machida, Shogun often leaves himself open for strikes. Could be a classic. I hope it is a fast paced fight and both seem to really respect each other

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Machida via TKO late in the fight. Karate baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Shogun by KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Shogun by KO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Machida, as always

Shogun at his best would have me questioning the outcome more, but the fact is that I haven't seen that much out of him in the last couple of years. And Machida is yet to be outstriked

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shogun by KO.
    Killme00 wrote: »
    Shogun by KO
    Me 3!

Ive said it before but I could see shogun winning similarly to the liddell fight.That exact punch and finishing him with strikes on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Shogun T/KO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Machida KO in the second half of the fight.
    Can't see Shogun adapting to Lyoto.

I don't see it as aclasic, but the end will come fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Do you lads seriously think Shogun has the patience to hold off from doing something stupid/risky or whatever you want to label it?

• Advertisement

In fairness we haven't seen Lyoto take a shot on the button so if Shogun lands who knows what will happen.

I still think Machidas ...*puts on best Rogan impression*.. elusiveness will make shogun come flying in and he'll dispatch him with percision strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Isn't this fight like 3 months away?

Anyway, I'll go with Machida via TKO.

If Shogun can raise his performance to somewhere near the level he showed in Pride this could be an absolute epic fight!

I am nearly sure Shogun has never been knocked out, Griffin and Babalu subbed him and Coleman 1 was a mistake by him/accident. Dont see Machida knocking him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I am nearly sure Shogun has never been knocked out, Griffin and Babalu subbed him and Coleman 1 was a mistake by him/accident. Dont see Machida knocking him out.

Ah the griffen fight was a good one. Gonna watch that again later I think.

As said if the Shogun of old shows up it will be one hell of a fight , I wouldnt like to call it if I thought that were the case, guess we'll have to wait and see which shogun shows up, also I wonder if Machito will be the 1st to defend that title since Rampage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Shogun in pride .... that was light years ago. Lyoto is the truth. He will waxed Shogun. Machida is going to dominate the LHW division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Before the Rashad Evans fight, I honestly believed that the only guy that might have been able to beat Machida was... Rashad Evans! Look what happened.

I'd bet the farm on The Dragon. He's too good right now.

Wacker wrote: »
    Before the Rashad Evans fight, I honestly believed that the only guy that might have been able to beat Machida was... Rashad Evans! Look what happened.

I'd bet the farm on The Dragon. He's too good right now.

You really thought Rashad would beat Lyoto ?? Maybe this is a fans perspective but I fully expected the Dragon to slaughter Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

T-K-O wrote: »
    You really thought Rashad would beat Lyoto ?? Maybe this is a fans perspective but I fully expected the Dragon to slaughter Evans.

Same here....although I don't expect Shogun to be stupid to enough to stand and talk sh*t with him instead of dodging his punches. So hopefully it will be a closer fight.

I am willing to give Shogun the benefit and say his poor performances in his first two fights were down to his knee injuries and the Chuck fight was a step back in the right direction and would not be surprised or upset if he took this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kazooie wrote: »
    In fairness we haven't seen Lyoto take a shot on the button so if Shogun lands who knows what will happen.
    Theres good reason for that. He's fast, not lucky

Your tight, he has 3 losses, 2 submissions and a TKO

Same here....although I don't expect Shogun to be stupid to enough to stand and talk sh*t with him instead of dodging his punches. So hopefully it will be a closer fight.

I am willing to give Shogun the benefit and say his poor performances in his first two fights were down to his knee injuries and the Chuck fight was a step back in the right direction and would not be surprised or upset if he took this.

The Shogun of old was an amazing talent and a great test for Lyoto. I think he's done I could be wrong but I doubt it.

A shogun at the top of his game would give Machida a hell of a time. I just dont think he is at that level anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

No, I didn't! I just thought Evans had a better chance than any other LHW out there. I would never bet against Machida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭soretoe

Lyota coz he's on form and on the up and confident - would be harder to call if shogun had looked great in his last say 2 or 3 fights - but he hasn't - so Lyota this time. But an on form pride standard Shogun would be a brilliant match-up and impossible to call...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Kazooie wrote: »

I still think Machidas ...*puts on best Rogan impression*.. elusiveness will make shogun come flying in and he'll dispatch him with percision strikes.

Anderson Silva says he can't hit Lyoto in training so I can't see Shogun getting near him on his current form.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Anderson Silva says he can't hit Lyoto in training so I can't see Shogun getting near him on his current form.

Shogun would kick Anderson Silva's ass as well.

jayteecork wrote: »

I just re read my post, comes accross like I'm picking shogun. I'm not. ;)

Machida will pick him off. Just sayin we haven't seen him take taking a shot yet. I don't think he will in this fight either....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Shogun will win , he is strong mental and will be in good shape like in Pride days. Shogun will shock the world

Ramunas wrote: »
    Shogun will win , he is strong mental and will be in good shape like in Pride days. Shogun will shock the world

He wont win but if he did he would hardly shock the world. This shogun we are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

He wont win but if he did he would hardly shock the world. This shogun we are talking about.

Which is exactly why he'll win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

When you look at this by looking at the form of both fighters, the simple answer is Machida will win.

Shogun as good as he was in Pride, he has yet to show that sort of form. I'm not saying he can't get that sort of form back but at the moment it is highly unlikely. Last two fights, Mark Coleman the man is a stud but he didn't even get a training camp for that fight and IMO he was going to get the decision before he got KO'ed in the last 15 seconds. Shogun was gassed going in to the second round. If that happens against Machida he is done.

Against Chuck he knocked Chuck down with a jab and that says more for where Chuck Liddell is at the moment then it does Shogun. So we don't know where Shoguns cardio is at the moment.

And then Machida, the man doesn't get hit for a reason, he is fast and he picks the right time the strike.

I'm not sure whether Shogun will get KO'ed but if he gasses early he is getting knocked out, if not Machida will get the decision by picking his shots and getting sweeps.

Obviously Shogun has a puncher's chance but I can't see it happening, in anyways this fights is still a good while a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Fromvert wrote: »
    When you look at this by looking at the form of both fighters, the simple answer is Machida will win.

Shogun as good as he was in Pride, he has yet to show that sort of form. I'm not saying he can't get that sort of form back but at the moment it is highly unlikely. Last two fights, Mark Coleman the man is a stud but he didn't even get a training camp for that fight and IMO he was going to get the decision before he got KO'ed in the last 15 seconds. Shogun was gassed going in to the second round. If that happens against Machida he is done.

Against Chuck he knocked Chuck down with a jab and that says more for where Chuck Liddell is at the moment then it does Shogun. So we don't know where Shoguns cardio is at the moment.

And then Machida, the man doesn't get hit for a reason, he is fast and he picks the right time the strike.

I'm not sure whether Shogun will get KO'ed but if he gasses early he is getting knocked out, if not Machida will get the decision by picking his shots and getting sweeps.

Obviously Shogun has a puncher's chance but I can't see it happening, in anyways this fights is still a good while a way.

Shogun will return better than in Pride .I saw in fight with Chuck he mixed very well (strikes , tekedowns...) an physical very strong. We'll see talk to you later , see what happens.

Advertisement