Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds Strongest Man to enter MMA

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Seriously you dont get a black belt in karate if you are unflexible and slow.

Where's this Kyokushin black belt info come from?

His Wiki page says he's a green belt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Hephaestus wrote: »
    Where's this Kyokushin black belt info come from?

His Wiki page says he's a green belt!

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/pudzianowski.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mariusz-Pudzianowski/12583084357?v=info

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A55367869

type it into google and every source refers to him as black belt maybe his wikipedia hasn't been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I just scanned through the thread, so sorry if I took it all up wrong.

Pud in MMA will be awesome. Not sure how well he'll do against decent opposition, but this is MMA (i.e. where you stop just argueing back and forth, and just get in the cage and see who wins) and there's only one sure-fire way to find out!

I wonder if he'ld be strong enough to break someone's bones with very tight wrist control from the bottom? That would be a help against a better wrestler? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

I'd say he dropped a bit of man juice writing that up ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

BEST THREAD EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hes a fourth degree black belt in karate and boxed professionally not exactly basic...

Hes a serious athlete more so than Lesnar and I could see him taking to MMA very well
    Where are you getting you info from???

He wasn't a professional boxer.
    He doesn't have a 4th dan black belt, nor any black belt

He was an amateur boxer youth.
    He has a green belt in karate, so did I was I was 9.
    (did you even read the article in the OP)

For a start he would need to condition a lot to be fight ready, he will lose some strength too as he needs to cut 10-20kg I'd say.
    I would say that this guy has the strength to do well, maybe even basic fighting to build on, but speed will let him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Goose81 wrote: »
    See thats where you dont understand.

No mate. You don't understand. Grappling strength is something different to powerlifting, olympic lifting, strong man, plyometrics, crossfit, every other training paradigm. It comes from skill and experience. Lesnar is a wrestler who is a super athlete. This strongman is a super athlete. Lesnar, the wrestler has tonnes of grappling strength. The strongman has little grappling strength. This is my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rovert wrote: »
    Someone with that amount of mass on them would gass VERY early in a fight.
    We're not being condecending we are arguing our point of view from experience.

I don't think Rovert has any fight experience. Sorry if it appear's I'm picking on him, but since he was answering Rugby's post to R I just thought I'd point that out.

Of course I know your a fighter, as is Cowzer and a few other's here - but your in a minority unfortunetly & these discussion's are always ultimately stupid coming from people without any sort of fight experience (we've seen 'em all before).

At what level is this guy going to enter MMA?.

If its like Lesner & he gets a big shot at a UFC title early on it makes a mockery of what I'm thinking of as less and less of a sport and more along the lines of entertainment - pro-wrestling without the step ladders, dustbins, chainsaw's and pre-determined 'results'.

Speaking from personal experience but not in MMA, technique should beat power everytime because as Cowzer pointed out - its functional strenght over raw power.

I started Judo at around 105kgs, after a background in kickboxing from my teens through my twenties. For a short period in my late twenties I was also a competitive body builder, I'd also a hell of a lot of power.

Guess what, in my first 'randori' (sparring) was was thrown to the ground and beaten in seconds by a blind man with pure Judo technique. And this continued with all weights & grades until I gained some technique myself.

If this chap is coached by a half decent coach & gets the right breaks that power won't be wasted, but he does need to know how to apply it otherwise its fvckall use to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I don't think Rovert has any fight experience. Sorry if it appear's I'm picking on him, but since he was answering Rugby's post to R I just thought I'd point that out.

Why are trying to tie too separate points together to make your point, Raze_them_all doesn’t/cant speak for me so why are you lump me in here?
    Of course I know your a fighter, as is Cowzer and a few other's here - but your in a minority unfortunately & these discussion's are always ultimately stupid coming from people without any sort of fight experience (we've seen 'em all before).

I totally disagree on this especially in regards to what I said:
    Someone with that amount of mass on them would gass VERY early in a fight.

It doesn’t take someone with fight experience to figure this out. That type of build is not conducive for success in MMA. You don’t need to have fight experience to watch fights with fighters with this frame and draw this conclusion. An understanding of conditioning is not exclusive to those with fight experience sorry mate.
    If its like Lesner & he gets a big shot at a UFC title early on it makes a mockery of what I'm thinking of as less and less of a sport and more along the lines of entertainment - pro-wrestling without the step ladders, dustbins, chainsaw's and pre-determined 'results'..

This statement is laughable coming from someone who purports to know what he is talking about. Do you even the history of UFC & MMA or works in the fight business?

Japan will welcome him with open arms. I look forward to Minowa heel hooking him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Japan will welcome him with open arms. I look forward to Minowa heel hooking him.

Ah Japan where it is still sport :P Jumpers for goal posts.

Nobody knows whether or not he would gas early on or not because nobody knows how fit aerobically or anaerobically he is. It's impossible to say.

I will say one thing, I totally disagree with the guy who started this thread, what i currently know, he won't throw Lesnar around the ring and he is not a better athlete than Lesnar.

He's an expert at one thing; lifting heavy things and that's what he is good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

agreed, now lets please let this thread die, as nothing meaningful is likely to come of it.

With regards to the rule 8 from the charter

8) No unfounded allegations against fighters, particularly in regard to steroid use. If you want to accuse them make sure you have a bulletproof source or you will be banned.

There have been a number of breaches of this rule in this thread. Note the term "bulletproof source". I am inclined to give a warning this time, but bannings for future offences.

UFC:
    ''Who needs Emelianenko..... we'll get Pudzianowski'o''
    (to the tune off)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZYP2dtvSc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

*Cough*

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Interesting, although his opponent was a newcomer to MMA too.

I'd like to see him fight a veteran "punching bag" like Phil Baroni or Keith Jardine.

(Although of course they're different divisions but someone like that in Heavyweight. Bob Sapp maybe, but Sapp is just too awful altogether.)

Advertisement