Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds Strongest Man to enter MMA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

We're not being condecending we are arguing our point of view from experience. If the sport was all about brute strength then it'd be full of only body builders and powerlifters. Also the weights he carries aren't exactly hitting him back now are they?

I'll repeat once again, he has decades experience in Kyukoshin karate and has boxed this isn't someone who hasn't spared a day in his life and hasn't trained in some form of martial art.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Yet Lesnar started with only wrestling. Theres no reason why at 32 he couldn't start training in wrestling and jiu jitsu like Lesnar.

Beside's Lesnar ability to pick all types of things extraordinarily fast whether in MMA or anything else he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Yet Lesnar started with only wrestling. Theres no reason why at 32 he couldn't start training in wrestling and jiu jitsu like Lesnar.

Lesnar pretty much still only has wrestling, so your looking at a world class wrestler with very basic boxing, he wins using wrestling

He has basic Boxing and Karate, will he win MMA matches with this?

its not like he's mike tyson that needs to learn some wresling.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'll repeat once again, he has decades experience in Kyukoshin karate and has boxed this isn't someone who hasn't spared a day in his life and hasn't trained in some form of martial art.
    Your naming striking sports. Not much use once your on your back.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Lesnar pretty much still only has wrestling, so your looking at a world class wrestler with very basic boxing, he wins using wrestling

He has basic Boxing and Karate, will he win MMA matches with this?

its not like he's mike tyson that needs to learn some wresling.

Hes a fourth degree black belt in karate and boxed professionally not exactly basic...

Hes a serious athlete more so than Lesnar and I could see him taking to MMA very well

• Advertisement

Hes a serious athlete more so than Lesnar

:eek:

Your naming striking sports. Not much use once your on your back.

Same with wrestling....

rovert wrote: »
    :eek:

How can you say a man who has won world championships 5 times in his choosen sport, is a black belt in karate, has boxed at a professional level and made his nations rugby team is not a serious athlete?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

and done amateur boxing for years

you said he done Amateur Boxing and never mentioned Pro boxing
    boxed professionally not exactly basic...

Hes a serious athlete more so than Lesnar and I could see him taking to MMA very well

I done a search on pro boxing, and he did not box pro, also they would have said pro boxing on fighters only if he had.

As ridiculis as this whole topic is i like it as it gets us talking about what makes an MMA fighter, thanks.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Same with wrestling....
    Wrestlers put others on their backs and for the most part have very good sprawls.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    you said he done Amateur Boxing and never mentioned Pro boxing

I done a search on pro boxing, and he did not box pro, also they would have said pro boxing on fighters only if he had.

As ridiculis as this whole topic is i like it as it gets us talking about what makes an MMA fighter, thanks.

I read on a website it was professional boxing a few minutes ago but apparently it isn't still though he has trained.

How can you say a man who has won world championships 5 times in his choosen sport, is a black belt in karate, has boxed at a professional level and made his nations rugby team is not a serious athlete?

I didnt say he wasnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would be inetersted to see how he would get on for sure.

The thing is with a guy who has acheived so much in one sport he understands the desire to win and what must be given for that to happen.

With someone that strong you would have to aim to not allow him to get his hands on you

One thing to consider is that powerlifter and strongtype competition really do take a tonne of wear and tear on competitor's knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I hear he eats swans for breakfast and can lift a tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

This guy is probably powerful enough to break bones simply by squeezing. Strong man comps test for steroids he was caught out in 2005 but passed every other time. In fairness hes trained karate since he was a kid and done amateur boxing for years so he does have some kind of MMA backround. If he gets some training in wrestling he would be a serious threat imagine his slams

They dont test for steroids in strongman events ( well technically they do but they are very loose and you have to be an idiot to get caught) and Marius is on them half the year,look online and you will find out his exact cycles and what he takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Eh isn't Mark Henry the worlds strongest man :)

That's who first came into my head when I read the thread title :eek:
    Is that what he's doing to keep busy now he's finished mastermind? :pac:

:pac:

Goose81 wrote: »
    They dont test for steroids in strongman events ( well technically they do but they are very loose and you have to be an idiot to get caught) and Marius is on them half the year,look online and you will find out his exact cycles and what he takes.

At the same time I think a lot of mma fighters also juice (Kongo,Barnett,Sherk,Nog and Coleman have all been caught in the past) if you know what your doing you can plan cycles well and mask. Hell Growth Hormone can't even be detected and combined with insulin it is more powerful than anabolic steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Goose81 wrote: »

I think that it's fair to say that their testing isn't anywhere near the most stringent. Although neither is MMA's :pac:

Would he make the heavyweight limit? I'm sure that he'd do better for himself in the superheavyweight division than the heavyweight division, if that is the sort of weight that he is, simply because there are, in general, worse athletes in the heavier division and whatever immobility he possesses wouldn't be as much of a hinderence

Other than that you can't really say much without seeing him

Fozzy wrote: »
    I think that it's fair to say that their testing isn't anywhere near the most stringent. Although neither is MMA's :pac:

Would he make the heavyweight limit? I'm sure that he'd do better for himself in the superheavyweight division than the heavyweight division, if that is the sort of weight that he is, simply because there are, in general, worse athletes in the heavier division and whatever immobility he possesses wouldn't be as much of a hinderence

Other than that you can't really say much without seeing him

In fairness to rugbyfanatic and Marius,he is an absolutely fantastic athelite.Easy on par with Lesnar,I would say he is more athletic tbh.Watch his training online,he skips like a boxer and he is just an all around physical freak.

Mod edit- Unsubstantiated steroid allegations

For the record Lesnar comes into the ring at 120kg last time at 6'3,Marius walks around ripped to shreds at 130kg and 6'1.

• Advertisement

Not all drug tests are the same. Different countries/states & sports have different standards. Some test for performance enhancing & recreational drugs, some just test for performance enhancing drugs. Some tests are supervised by a "pecker checker" others involved someone being allowed go into a bathroom stall. The permissionable levels of certain chemicals in your system also varies greatly.

No drug test is ever perfect and I don’t know the history of drugs in power lifting like I do with MMA, Pro Wrestling and Body Building. But I would be shocked it testing is as strict as that for MMA in the States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Lesnar weighs in at 120kg, that being the upper weight limit of the division. he walks into the cage at about 127.
    At the same time I think a lot of mma fighters also juice (Kongo,Barnett,Sherk,Nog and Coleman have all been caught in the past) if you know what your doing you can plan cycles well and mask. Hell Growth Hormone can't even be detected and combined with insulin it is more powerful than anabolic steroids

Not 100% but wasnt aware of Kongo, Nog or Coleman testing positive. Can anyone else confirm. We have strict rules on steroid allegations on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dunkamania wrote: »
    Lesnar weighs in at 120kg, that being the upper weight limit of the division. he walks into the cage at about 127.

Not 100% but wasnt aware of Kongo, Nog or Coleman testing positive. Can anyone else confirm. We have strict rules on steroid allegations on this forum.
    I genuinely never heard of any of those being associated with positive tests

dunkamania wrote: »

Sorry mixed up nog and wanderlei there! and I can't find any sources right now but I do remember reading an article where Kongo stated his previous steroid use was unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Sorry mixed up nog and wanderlei there! and I can't find any sources right now but I do remember reading an article where Kongo stated his previous steroid use was unfortunate.

And where's the evidence of Wanderlei? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Lesner was a world class wrestler who moved into other arts. This dude is a world class flexer with no proffesional record in Karate or Boxing I've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

grappling strength is a completely different animal to lifting weights strength. That's what lesnar has in combination with the ability to powerlift. This fella could do very well at the lowest level of Professional MMA but I'd be very surprised if he will beat anybody in the top 30 in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

Bubs101 wrote: »
    This dude is a world class flexer with no proffesional record in Karate or Boxing I've seen

That's a bit harsh.
    He's not a bodybuilder, he's was a world class athlete & the greatest strong man there's ever been!
    Has he got the heart & skills to be a top MMA fighter? Who knows until we see him fight.
    grappling strength is a completely different animal to lifting weights strength.

Absolutely.

I'd also imagine that it would take a long time for his body to change from being conditioned for strong man comps to being conditioned for MMA?

Edit: He doesn't half look like CroCop either!

mariusz pudzianowski:
    userVideo137.png

CroCop:
    CRO%20COP%20ANGRY.JPG

grappling strength is a completely different animal to lifting weights strength.

See thats where you dont understand.

Sure he can lift weights but he trains just like lesnar does,skiping,jumping and lots of stretching.I mean for the physical stuff,not the mma.

He is an athelite not just some strongman,look at his competitors bodys and then look at his,there is a reason for that.

He doesnt train like most strongmen do and thats why he is so good.
    As for explosiveness,try lifting a 200kg stone onto a platform as quick as you can,his cardio is ridiculous and explosive power is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

I think people here seem to have this notion that because of his size he isn't flexible, mobile, quick etc. but I think Lesnar proved when he came to UFC that it is possible to have all these skills along with insane power and size if you are a freak of nature and pudzianowski is just that. Seriously you dont get a black belt in karate if you are unflexible and slow. He has boxed for years so I think its safe to assume he can take a punch and give one along with his karate experience. This isn't someone with no experience on the contray this is someone with decades of experience in combat sports no one is saying he will be a top HW but is there a chance that if he progresses and learns as quickly as Brock did could he possibly be a competent HW at the top level in a few years then I would say most definitely.

Advertisement