Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decline of Respect/Morals in Society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Jakkass wrote: »
    I think this is going to be an issue with many societies where faith has been rejected by a lot of people.
    Yeah, and as example: atheist Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Norway....

vs catholic:

Mexico
    Italy (Cosa Nostra)
    vast majority of South America...

... ultra-safe, polite societies, no doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Yeah, and as example: Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Norway....

vs catholic:

Mexico
    Italy (Cosa Nostra)

How about Germany, the UK, Finland, amongst others? As countries have seemed to become more irreligious the rate of violent crime seems to have increased. Perhaps as they become more established people will find some form of ethics again.

Also note, I never said it was not possible for a consistent secular morality system to be formed, I just said it was very difficult. I also said that this period of lawlessness if you will would take place in the interim period while people tried to come up with this consistent secular morality system.

Edit: Sweden has the 2nd highest violent crime rate in Europe after the UK. http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23714675-details/UK+%27has+worst+violent+crime+rate+in+Europe%27/article.do

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Yeah, and as example: atheist Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Norway....

vs catholic:

Mexico
    Italy (Cosa Nostra)

... ultra-safe, polite societies, no doubts.
    And the complete lack of violence in the Muslim dominated Middle East

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

How about Germany, the UK, Finland, amongst others? As countries have seemed to become more irreligious the rate of violent crime seems to have increased.
    What's wrong with Germany or Finland? IMO it's very unlikely to get assaulted in both comparing to IE or UK. I've been, I've seen.

EDIT:
    Like messing with stats?

Assaults per capita:

catholic

Portugal: 3.59445 per 1,000 people
    Mexico: 2.40275 per 1,000 people
    Spain: 2.24221 per 1,000 people

vs atheist

Denmark: 1.80339 per 1,000 people
    France: 1.75554 per 1,000 people
    Germany: 1.4183 per 1,000 people

or maybe we should look at extremely safe

Azerbaijan: 0.0252781 per 1,000 people
    Georgia: 0.10434 per 1,000 people

http://www.nationmaster.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Rougies wrote: »
    I find your grammer and spelling quite scary if you're a teacher! :eek:

An Irish one.... on holidays... not very computer literate! Still learning!!!
    Apologies.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That study makes no correllation between rates of crime in a country and religious belief amongst the population from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

brummytom wrote: »
    Couldn't think of a better title.

So me and my dad were talking today about this lad who threw bleach into the face of a woman who had told him and his fellow scum to be quiet during Harry Potter.. fair do's, it might have been a bit irritating, but what's wrong with just rolling your eyes at her.. but fúcking burning them?!

Dad was saying 'back in the day' people sorted out their problems through a fight - just a normal fist fight, none of this knife shiit. A few punches, that was it. Now these morons make it a mission to 'slash' anyone who they don't like.
    Years ago so I'm told, a murder would be massive news - nowadays, at least one a day is almost expected.

Why is it now that people are generally more violent, lacking in morals and so completed detached from normality? If it was upbringing, wouldn't their parents have recieved the same upbringing, and been just as bad... why has society been corrupted so much that death is nothing surprising to most people, and commonplace in cities?

What's changed? :confused:

Americans are pretty much in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Rougies wrote: »
    I find your grammer and spelling quite scary if you're a teacher! :eek:

It's grammar

And the complete lack of violence in the Muslim dominated Middle East

You have got to be joking

orestes wrote: »
    That study makes no correllation between rates of crime in a country and religious belief amongst the population from what I can see.

I never said it did, I'm refuting the notion that Sweden has a low violent crime rate which another user posted. Keep up :)

My opinion on why violent crime has increased in the UK is merely a theory which has been discussed by conservative commentators (such as Peter Hitchens) there as well.

The OP asked, why are people generally more violent, and lacking in morality. He also wondered what has changed.

My take is that Britain itself has changed:
    They are more violent because life isn't valued as much as it used to be in Britain, which is true.

They are lacking in morals due to the rejection of the former system of morality in favour of a subjective means of personal morality influenced by the postmodern idea that there are no absolutes leading to a lack of clarity.

I said clearly that it was opening a can of worms, and indeed it did as I expected :)

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »

Erm, I think they were being a wee bit sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah, he was being sarcastic..... :pac:

I never said it did, I'm refuting the notion that Sweden has a low violent crime rate which another user posted. Keep up :)

My opinion on why violent crime has increased in the UK is merely a theory which has been discussed by conservative commentators there as well.

The OP asked, why are people generally more violent, and lacking in morality. My take is:
    They are more violent because life isn't valued as much as it used to be in Britain, which is true.

They are lacking in morals due to the rejection of the former system of morality in favour of a subjective means of personal morality influenced by the postmodern idea that there are no absolutes leading to a lack of clarity.

I said clearly that it was opening a can of worms, and indeed it did as I expected :)

Your original posts put forward the position that cultures/countries become more violent as the culture/members of the population become less religious. To support this position you put forward the names of a few countries which are generally thought of to be athiest countries and stated they have violent crime rates, citing the study I quoted as an example. I don't debate the figures of the study (although I do find them dubious personally), what I don't understand is the jump from a rejection of a former system of morals necessarily being a rejection of religion, as religion is not the only source or inspiration of morality in a culture.

Arguing that the rejection of a former moral system and life isn't as valued as it formerly was is an interesting position, but I think it is jumping the gun a bit and putting the cart before the horse to say it all boils down to the decline of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

An Irish one.... on holidays... not very computer literate! Still learning!!!
    Apologies.....

You should have apologised for the spelling but asked him why he found your grandmother scary (people in glass houses).;)

Sorry just read Ourokeda's post. Too late:o

Erm, I think they were being a wee bit sarcastic

Its still the lowest form of wit I see.

Your original posts put forward the position that cultures/countries become me violent as the culture/members of the population become less religious.

It's not even that. It's more based on a buffer period where one morality has been rejected and people are trying to find a non-religious set of morals that are as effective as the former religious ones.
    To support this position you put forward the names of a few countries which are generally thought of to be athiest countries and stated they have violent crime rates, citing the study I quoted as an example.

I don't consider them "atheist" countries. Rather countries that have gotten more violent as more people have rejected the former Christianity of their respective nations. I personally wouldn't consider Britain an atheist nation, but a nation that is forgetting it's former Christian values.
    I don't debate the figures of the study (although I do find them dubious personally), what I don't understand is the jump from a rejection of a former system of morals necessarily being a rejection of religion, as religion is not the only source or inspiration of morality in a culture.

A rejection of a system of ethics is surely going to lead to confusion? At least I would have thought that it is somewhat reasonable.

I never said that religion was the only source of morality, but that it is generally more coherent than values based on subjectivism and postmodernism.

I find it funny because atheists usually argue that Christianity was merely contrived as a means of controlling people and keeping them good (which isn't really accurate), and yet when I argue this it's straight on the defence for many :pac:
    Arguing that the rejection of a former moral system and life isn't as valued as it formerly was is an interesting position, but I think it is jumping the gun a bit and putting the cart before the horse to say it all boils down to the decline of religion.

I don't claim my position as fact, but as a theory of mine. It also served the purpose of sparking discussion :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Its still the lowest form of wit I see.
    I'll go with a pun next time so

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

FFS, do you really need to drag more Christian propaganda into literally every single thread you come across?

Can't there just be one without all this BS?

It's not even that. It's more based on a buffer period where one morality has been rejected and people are trying to find a non-religious set of morals that are as effective as the former religious ones.

I don't consider them "atheist" countries. Rather countries that have gotten more violent as more people have rejected the former Christianity of their respective nations. I personally wouldn't consider Britain an atheist nation, but a nation that is forgetting it's former Christian values.

A rejection of a system of ethics is surely going to lead to confusion? At least I would have thought that it is somewhat reasonable.

I never said that religion was the only source of morality, but that it is generally more coherent than values based on subjectivism and postmodernism.

I find it funny because atheists usually argue that Christianity was merely contrived as a means of controlling people and keeping them good (which isn't really accurate), and yet when I argue this it's straight on the defence for many :pac:

I don't claim my position as fact, but as a theory of mine. It also served the purpose of sparking discussion :)

No problem at all, I agree that your theory is interesting and might hold some merit as the change of the moral standpoint of a culture and the rejection of formerly accepted social norms could lead to a backlash as people rebel against the old morality.

I don't agree about singling out the decline of christianity as the main reason for the rise in violent crime however. What about countries with little or no Christian influence which have a prevailing anti-humanist culture, China for example, or countries like the United States or Brazil which still have a massive christian presence in their culture and influence in terms of morality but is renowned for violent crime/murder?

I'm open to the idea of a change in moral values leading to a rise in crime, but I think that putting it down to the decline in christian belief is a bit far fetched and seems to be getting the issue backwards and looking for reasons why rejecting christianity is bad rather than looking for causes of vthe increase in violent crime. It just seems to me that the position seems to have started with the answer and then looking for the question I'm afraid rather than the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

liah wrote: »
    FFS, do you really need to drag more Christian propaganda into literally every single thread you come across?

Can't there just be one without all this BS?

I asked for opinions on causes for the apparent decline of morals in society.
    Jackass is offering his opinion (which I would be inclined to agree with, along with other factors).

What's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I actually agree with you on this point, Jackass. I don't think anyone is saying religion is necessary as a moral compass, but when Catholicism was accepted by almost everyone in Ireland there was always something to fear. If you weren't afraid of the gards, there would at least be the fear of god which would make you think twice.

Obviously it didn't prevent all violent crime but it was a major factor in society at the time and I don't understand how, with hindsight, anyone can argue against this.

I think there was more honor then, too. In terms of fighting, using a knife was seen as an admission that the other guy was a bigger man. Now, the spoils go to the most ruthless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

People were always mental.

Because it has feck all bearing on reality?

I mean for god's sake, if you want to say religion makes societies nicer, all you have to do is look at the Middle East to know that's utter bull.

It's people who make places, not their religions.

Plenty of horrible people were religious, plenty of amazing people were religious. Likewise for atheists. Why bring religion the hell into it, it's ridiculous. Religion =/= moral compass, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Breakdown of the family, whatever that is.
    Even if it was the threat of that uncle that everyone was afraid of.

When I was a teenager, I was never afraid of the guards but my mother, Jesus.

The unpredicable, dressing gown lurker. She was like predetor in a dressing gown.

She'd turn up in a field where I was drinking cans, and you'd spot her in the far distance. **shudder** Like most teenagers I was the best liar in the world, but somehow she was always one step ahead, and I was good.

Then she'd be gone, and you knew life for the unknowing future would be a world of ****.

Never violent, but the fear of all of it.

God she was good.
    And she had back up like an army of undercover militia, there were aunts, uncles, older cousins.

My friends were even more afraid of her than their own parents. Funny thing is, she only once ever hit me. She was the best fear invoker in the world.

Even thought we were a bit mad, there was always that mental bloke, or lunatic girl everyone knew but mostly avoided. Now it seems, everyone is a nut job.
    I remember having long hair down to my arse sitting on a high wall drinking cans, and I dissapeared off the wall as she has sneaked up behind it and pulled me off, it was the end of her very long tether.

One of the "gang" I was hanging around with laughed, and she pulled him by back of the trousers off the wall too and bet the living **** out him, Now, he'd have a knife and she'd be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Heh Jakkass we meet again old friend. But I'm noy here to argue just to put another possibility to the OP.:)

A big problem is that, with the embracing of unfettered capitalism, a greater and greater number of people have less and less of a stake in the society that they build and create and so are less inclined to defend that society. It is also very difficult for a parent on low wages to instil in their child the value of contribution when the child knows that most of the family upkeep depends on supplements. There is also, it seems to me, less community spirit. I think Jakkass's point on the value we place on human life, deteriorating, is an extremely valid one. But ultimately children crave and require discipline, competition and love, and unfortunately for a lot of them unless they get this in school or in a sports club, they won't get it at home. My 2c. All opinion so no links.

liah: If radical Islam was the same thing as Christianity in 20th century Europe, I might have been inclined to agree with you :)

People do make places, but what people believe certainly does impact the environment. I didn't even say that a secular morality system could not work if you read my original post. It's merely the "buffer period" that is involved in which there is confusion. Rather simple I would have thought.

liah wrote: »
    Plenty of horrible people were religious, plenty of amazing people were religious. Likewise for atheists. Why bring religion the hell into it, it's ridiculous. Religion =/= moral compass, sorry.

Religion definitely does have an influence on morality, arguing otherwise is ludicrous, it is the extent and nature of that influence that is the question imo

Religion definitely does have an influence on peoples morality, arguing otherwise is ludicrous, it is the extent and nature of that influence that is the question imo

It does and it doesn't.

At the very basic core of it, if a person's a bad person, that's all there is to it-- they're going to do bad things.

Religion can make people do stupid things or good things just as anything else can, but to say that people are more mental due to a lack of Christianity? Get off it.

I honestly don't think people are more mental now, anyway. I think it's just being thrown to different outlets due to the advancement of technology more than anything else, really.

I'd look to the internet quicker than religion or lack thereof, and even then.. it's dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Mental is in the title, but we aren't talking about the word literally. If we were it would be a completely different argument. The point being made is that people are likely to be more fearless and ruthless now.

And when you say "if someone is a bad person they're a bad person", what does that even mean in this context? It's so vague and depends on what you define as a bad person, if a bad person can become a good person etc.

• Advertisement

Mental is in the title, but we aren't talking about the word literally. If we were it would be a completely different argument. The point being made is that people are likely to be more fearless and ruthless now.

And when you say "if someone is a bad person they're a bad person", what does that even mean in this context? It's so vague and depends on what you define as a bad person, if a bad person can become a good person etc.

I didn't mean mental as in mentally disabled.

And.. the sentence is fairly self-explanitory, to be fair?

Advertisement