Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decline of Respect/Morals in Society?

Options
  • 04-08-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

Couldn't think of a better title.

So me and my dad were talking today about this lad who threw bleach into the face of a woman who had told him and his fellow scum to be quiet during Harry Potter.. fair do's, it might have been a bit irritating, but what's wrong with just rolling your eyes at her.. but fúcking burning them?!

Dad was saying 'back in the day' people sorted out their problems through a fight - just a normal fist fight, none of this knife shiit. A few punches, that was it. Now these morons make it a mission to 'slash' anyone who they don't like.
    Years ago so I'm told, a murder would be massive news - nowadays, at least one a day is almost expected.

Why is it now that people are generally more violent, lacking in morals and so completed detached from normality? If it was upbringing, wouldn't their parents have recieved the same upbringing, and been just as bad... why has society been corrupted so much that death is nothing surprising to most people, and commonplace in cities?

What's changed? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Must be the water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Nothing, same ****, just happening to new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The birth of spider-babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lack of empathy or lack of fear, take you pick. My money's on empathy.

Personally, I put it down to media. Pressure to conform and to earn and to concume is more important than having respect for other people.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Must be the water

hahahahaha where you're from anyway!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Television and computer games.
    They're terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's the full moon (seriously, full moon tonight).

Seriously, there's not been an increase in crime, just an increase in it's reporting (in concern to England now). Knife crime has increased dramatically, however (in England and Ireland)

hahahahaha where you're from anyway!! :D
    Not Limerick thank **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In the good old days stressed teachers used to go berserk and beat the little sh1ts to death, so that they didn't grow up to become psychotic arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

It's not that there's more stuff going on, it's just that we hear of more things happening because we are so surrounded by media. Back in the day, you would only hear about things happening in your town or village. So a serious crime would be massive news. But now if something bad happens, regardless of where it took place we will hear about it. This gives the illusion that there is more to fear, but really it's just the same amount. And in actual fact, the average person is safer now than they ever have been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

its money - people got too greedy family life went out the window wit manners and self respect - not many hav any respect anymore!! its getting worse!! Im only 4 yrs out of school - started teaching again this year - couldnt beliv the changes in 4 yrs!! Its scary!!!!!:confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Television and computer games.
    They're terrible

And Marylin Manson

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Because people take the psycho-path.

People have gone mental as they're scared ****less of the beast hiding where there would be moors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I blame Grand Theft Auto:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

We are not mental....we are emotionally unwell

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Oh and I forgot to add, we all don't live in Birmingham.

Good Night!

People have gone mental as they're scared ****less of the beast hiding where there would be moors.
    Leave Waterford natives alone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsTempermental

Who brings bleach to the cinema? Maybe they were drinking it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

brummytom wrote: »
    What's changed? :confused:
    Stressless breeding takes it's toll.

See all those kids on the streets at 11-12pm including 8-10 years old girls? They have no stress, they cannot be punished for anything they do, if they trow a stone at you, you can't say a word - because they are KIDS! You are the one who's gonna be in trouble, not them. Do you really think that when they grow up, they will act like a normal human being, a member of society that reckons whats good and whats bad?

See all these teenagers? They don't give a s*it about Gards, they know that Gards won't touch them, as they're under 18 and they're laughing... They have no stress either, they know that whatever they do will have no repercussions at all.

World is upside down, there is no respect, no rules, no honour anymore. Drugs and money are priorities. I'm afraid to think how it is gonna look like in about 20 years from now.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Stressless breeding takes it's toll.

See all those kids on the streets at 11-12pm including 8-10 years old girls? They have no stress, they cannot be punished for anything they do, if they trow a stone at you, you can't say a word - because they are KIDS! You are the one who's gonna be in trouble, not them.

See all these teenagers? They don't give a s*it about Gards, they know that Gards won't touch them, as they're under 18 and they're laughing... They have no stress either, they know that whatever they do will have no repercussions at all.

World is upside down, there is no respect, no rules, no honour anymore. Drugs and money are priorities. I'm afraid to think how it is gonna look like in about 20 years from now.

You're spot on mate.

psst I'm one of those teenagers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Drugs are tearing apart the fabric of our society. Sex too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

its money - people got too greedy family life went out the window wit manners and self respect - not many hav any respect anymore!! its getting worse!! Im only 4 yrs out of school - started teaching again this year - couldnt beliv the changes in 4 yrs!! Its scary!!!!!:confused:

I find your grammer and spelling quite scary if you're a teacher! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Rougies wrote: »
    I find your grammer and spelling quite scary if you're a teacher! :eek:

P.E teacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Drugs are tearing apart the fabric of our society. Sex too.
    We are failing. We are failing as a society, as parents, teachers, priests... We are unable to show the way, we are too busy making money, taking drugs, having fun, so that childern have no example to follow. The laws that we had initially to protect children are failing, they turn up against us. We are going to raise a beast, but when we realise that it'l be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

brummytom wrote: »
    Why is it now that people are generally more violent, lacking in morals and so completed detached from normality? If it was upbringing, wouldn't their parents have recieved the same upbringing, and been just as bad... why has society been corrupted so much that death is nothing surprising to most people, and commonplace in cities?

If I may open a big can of worms with this one :)

I think this is going to be an issue with many societies where faith has been rejected by a lot of people. Countries which have formerly based their values on religious tenets, when those religious tenets are rejected are going to have a void in morality and ethics while they seek for a coherent replacement.

The problem is if we take the postmodern view that there are no absolutes, it will be incredibly difficult for people to find this coherent secular replacement for former values that people held, leading to a lack of clarity in how to pass on values and morals to people. If everything is subjective, people can make up their own minds for themselves on what morals they hold, which ultimately is far from consistent.

Edit: It could also be something to do with the deterioration of the value of life and people regarding it as more dispensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Not Limerick thank **** :pac:
    Nah...sick to death of been banned

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    We are failing. We are failing as a society, as parents, teachers, priests... We are unable to show the way, we are too busy making money, taking drugs, having fun, so that childern have no example to follow. The laws that we had initially to protect children are failing, they turn up against us. We are going to raise a beast, but when we realise that it'l be too late.
    Us.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Maybe the Ryan report got it all wrong.

Advertisement