Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perseids Meteor Shower 2009 - August 12th

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

5 meteors in 10 minutes is good going. Some people think when they hear the word "shower" that they are going to see loads of them like a fireworks display. It isn't like that. I would not be disgusted to have seen 5 in 10 minutes.

i seen none in 3 days flukey :eek:

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what are the chances of seeing some tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Flukey wrote: »
    5 meteors in 10 minutes is good going. Some people think when they hear the word "shower" that they are going to see loads of them like a fireworks display. It isn't like that. I would not be disgusted to have seen 5 in 10 minutes.
    Really? 5 in 10 minutes? They weren't very bright at all and rather underwhelming imo. The moon was as bright as a foglight to the NE. So I figured I was missing a huge amount due to the moon and gave up.

I wasn't at home for this, I was on holidays. There was virtually no light pollution but the moon was bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

skelliser wrote: »
    what are the chances of seeing some tonight?

between slim and none, I was out for 30mins there and saw nothing, skies could not be better for viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It was clear here in Dublin last night, but although I saw a few planes and a couple of satellites, there were no meteors to be seen, similar to Mukki's experience.:( So you see Jumpguy, what you saw was good. To see any at all is good. It doesn't matter how bright they are. It isn't a fireworks display as I said. So 5 in 10 minutes, of any level of brightness, is something worth seeing. Keep your eyes open in here for news of upcoming meteor showers. We've still a few to go this year, not least the Leonids in mid-November. Jupiter's prominence in the sky, along with other great sights to see, always make astronomy something that is really great. Just go outside and look up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

I saw one at about 1am this morning.
    I didn't know what it was at first, just spotted a bright orange light in the corner of my eye. It moved quite quickly.
    Pretty cool to see it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

I was sitting on our roof terrace in Lagos, Portugal last wed when we seen what we thought was a shooting star. I seen 3 more in the next 15 minutes. The sky was very clear. I thought i was just lucky to see so many in one go, but this explains it all.

It was pretty amazing. glad i got to see them. and by pure chance too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Just saw more meteorites in 10 minutes-between 11.10-11.20pm tonight than I managed to see during the recent Perseid meteorite shower. Five shot out of the sky, beautiful long elegant ones, one after another and then two smaller ones followed. I was just wondering if they would be the remnants of the Perseid shower or are they somenthing else? Sky beautiful and clear here tonight but way too cold to stay out for much longer.

Advertisement